Author Topic: Manu to face the biggest test of his career IMO.  (Read 1851 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Manu to face the biggest test of his career IMO.
« on: May 23, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »
They were interviewing Manu live on TV after the game and they asked him about his ankle and Manu said it felt better today than a couple of days ago.  He said there is no excuse for his performance, he is just playing bad.  Then someone told him that Pop had just answered questions in the post game interview and said he had considered shutting down Manu for the game because he wanted him to rest up and get healthy.  Pop also said he was going to shut Manu down in the 1st half but Manu made a couple of good players so he kept him in the game.  Manu said he had not heard that and seemed to get bothered by that comment.  He said he would have disagreed with that decision. 

Manu's game is now being called into question and it is visibly upsetting him.  Manu needs to show what he is made of in game 3.  Despite the bashing I give him for being over dramatic, I know Manu has that fire in his belly that separates guys like him from "regular season" players or players that you can not count on in the 4th quarter.  Manu reminds me of James Worthy.  Prior to the 87 season Worthy was a fair weather or home court player.  If the team was doing good he was doing good.  If the team was playing at home he would typically have a good game.  But if you put the screws to Big Game James he would not always deliver, at times he would disappear.  Then in 87 Worthy turned it all around, it didn't matter where or when the Lakers played, Worthy had become Big Game James.  IMO Manu is at that point now, he needs to shed his every other game or home court player reputation.  Manu has had great games, he has single handedly pulled out victories for the Spurs but he disappears for games and sometimes an entire series.  That needs to stop and it needs to stop now.  I honestly think that comment by Pop may be the spark that reignites the fire in Manu's belly cause right now he looks defeated and down on himself.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Manu to face the biggest test of his career IMO.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 12:07:42 AM »
His ankle is clearly hurting him.  He is afraid of doing his rocker move because he doesn't want to put weight on it. There is also little disruption on the defensive end by Manu.  To me he has too much pride.  If Pop took him out I would have said it was the right call.

I have him at 63.253%.

Although I am torn here.  The Spurs really miss him. Without him it looks like it might be too tall a mountain to climb unless the bench steps up.  So I agree with you that he needs to step it up...but at the same time is it fair to say this will make or break his career when he's injured?  I don't think I'd go that far.  Part of that has to do with the fact I never thought he was SUPER.  He's a talent no doubt but he's still the 3rd best player on the Spurs not the super star or team leader.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 07:37:04 PM »
So I agree with you that he needs to step it up...but at the same time is it fair to say this will make or break his career when he's injured?  I don't think I'd go that far.  Part of that has to do with the fact I never thought he was SUPER.  He's a talent no doubt but he's still the 3rd best player on the Spurs not the super star or team leader.

Manu has carried his team on his back at times, even in the playoffs.  How many 3rd best players can say that?  This is a make or break moment in his career/reputation.  Of course if he is really injured it is unfair to put that type of responsibility on him but Manu says his ankle is not the problem.  Manu maybe too prideful to admit his injury is what is holding him back, much like Malone with the Lakers in 04, so the point might be mute.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 11:13:16 AM »
so the point might be mute.

MOOT! It is spelled MOOT!!!!!!!!!!!! Get it right. Looser!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 01:27:06 AM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 11:46:48 AM »
So I agree with you that he needs to step it up...but at the same time is it fair to say this will make or break his career when he's injured?  I don't think I'd go that far.  Part of that has to do with the fact I never thought he was SUPER.  He's a talent no doubt but he's still the 3rd best player on the Spurs not the super star or team leader.

Manu has carried his team on his back at times, even in the playoffs.  How many 3rd best players can say that?  This is a make or break moment in his career/reputation.  Of course if he is really injured it is unfair to put that type of responsibility on him but Manu says his ankle is not the problem.  Manu maybe too prideful to admit his injury is what is holding him back, much like Malone with the Lakers in 04, so the point might be mute.

In the playoffs?  A couple.  Lamar Odom has carried the Lakers as much as Manu has off the top.  That still doesn't change the fact that he's the 3rd best player on this team and they won two playoff series with him disappearing for stretches in a series.  In the regular season he was money for a stretch there.  However he's been MIA from playoff series in the last 3 years.

IMO his reputation has being a great regular season player and missing his mojo in the playoffs for stretches was solidified this year against NO after a number of series before.  I dont think this makes or breaks his career. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 01:30:25 PM »

MOOT! it is spelled MOOT!!!!!!!!!!!! Get it right. Looser!

Shouldn't the i in it be capitolized since it's the start of a new sentence?  A concept such as "irony" is something I'm not sure you will grasp since you are clearly stuck in the lower, possibley lowest, levels of thinking.  Let me know when you get upto "Application", I can drop down a few levels and chit chat with you at that point.  Please e-mail me a receipt for confirmation of OWNAGE.

FYI:

Knowledge
Recall of something encountered before but without having to change it, use it or understand it; facts.

Comprehension
Understanding the knowledge that has been acquired without needing to relate it to other information.

Application
Use of a learned concept to resolve some situation or solve a new problem in an appropriate way.

Analysis
Taking something learned apart into separate components for purposes of thinking about the parts and how they fit together.

Synthesis
Generating or creating something different by assembling or connecting ideas in a way that makes a whole.

Evaluation
Looking at the particular value of materials, information or methods in characterizing the whole.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 01:07:50 AM »

MOOT! it is spelled MOOT!!!!!!!!!!!! Get it right. Looser!

Shouldn't the i in it be capitolized since it's the start of a new sentence?  A concept such as "irony" is something I'm not sure you will grasp since you are clearly stuck in the lower, possibley lowest, levels of thinking.  Let me know when you get upto "Application", I can drop down a few levels and chit chat with you at that point.  Please e-mail me a receipt for confirmation of OWNAGE.

FYI:

Knowledge
Recall of something encountered before but without having to change it, use it or understand it; facts.

Comprehension
Understanding the knowledge that has been acquired without needing to relate it to other information.

Application
Use of a learned concept to resolve some situation or solve a new problem in an appropriate way.

Analysis
Taking something learned apart into separate components for purposes of thinking about the parts and how they fit together.

Synthesis
Generating or creating something different by assembling or connecting ideas in a way that makes a whole.

Evaluation
Looking at the particular value of materials, information or methods in characterizing the whole.

Impressive WOW, did you look up those definitions on Wikipedia? Did you forget to include in them the relevance to the post at hand? Or were you simply trying to appear more intellectually superior than we thought you were? Rest assured, such an attempt is an exercise in futility.

Allow me yet one more observation, while you were in Wikipedia (encyclopedia for "loosers") looking for a way to come back at me sonny, you might have wanted to look up the definition of "capitol", as there is no such word as "capitolized", although in the context you were attempting to use it the spelling is "capitalized", and had you used it, your genius would have shone brightly. "Capitol", in its complete form, generally refers to the principle city or seat of government in a state, province, or as a national seat, i.e. Washington D.C. is the "capitol" of the United States.

I hope the irony of me correcting your attempt to correct my rare typo is not lost on you. It never ceases to amaze or amuse me when you, of ALL the people on this board, attempt such folly as to correct someone's spelling or grammar, least of all mine.

Anytime you feel like "dropping down a few levels" to chit chat with me, feel free to do so, just get permission from the monkeys in the lower branches before you make your descent to where we humans dwell, they tend to take umbrage at lower species trying to jump the line.

Be that as it may, thanks for pointing out my rare faux pas, it has since been corrected, would twere (old english, well beyond your narrow grasp) that you were capable of such.

Consider yourself, OWNED.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 01:28:39 AM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 09:21:33 AM »
Part of that has to do with the fact I never thought he was SUPER.  He's a talent no doubt but he's still the 3rd best player on the Spurs not the super star or team leader.

That statement appears absolutely silly after Manu's scintillating perfomance last night!

Manu was the star and team leader last night, even though Duncan had an outstanding performance.  It was Manu's shooting that did the Lakers in. They never got their offense on track after Manu hit those consecutive three's. 

I thought Kobe should have gone right down the court and tried a 3 himself.  Maybe next game.

Lakers are still up in the series, and with home court advantage, do not need to win a game in SA. The Spurs have to be feeling good now that they've been up against the Lakers by 20 in two of the three games.

The Lakers can end this thing quickly with a win next game, but this is the first time the Lakers have been really beaten in the playoffs, and they are a young, untested team.  It will be interesting to see how they come back after being defeated soundly.  When was the last time the Lakers were held below 90?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 12:23:13 PM »
Part of that has to do with the fact I never thought he was SUPER.  He's a talent no doubt but he's still the 3rd best player on the Spurs not the super star or team leader.

That statement appears absolutely silly after Manu's scintillating perfomance last night!

Actually no it doesn't at all.  He had a very good game last night but that was one good game out of 3.   SUPER players can't really get away with being crappy on the road and show up every 3 games.   Great role players can though.

When Manu has endless numbers of articles written about when he is missing for a half, you know as oppose to two entire games, let me know.  Then I think he would have reached the 'super' level with players like Kobe, KG, and Chris Paul.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 12:34:21 AM »
Impressive WOW, did you look up those definitions on Wikipedia? Did you forget to include in them the relevance to the post at hand? Or were you simply trying to appear more intellectually superior than we thought you were? Rest assured, such an attempt is an exercise in futility.

Allow me yet one more observation, while you were in Wikipedia (encyclopedia for "loosers") looking for a way to come back at me sonny, you might have wanted to look up the definition of "capitol", as there is no such word as "capitolized", although in the context you were attempting to use it the spelling is "capitalized", and had you used it, your genius would have shone brightly. "Capitol", in its complete form, generally refers to the principle city or seat of government in a state, province, or as a national seat, i.e. Washington D.C. is the "capitol" of the United States.

I hope the irony of me correcting your attempt to correct my rare typo is not lost on you. It never ceases to amaze or amuse me when you, of ALL the people on this board, attempt such folly as to correct someone's spelling or grammar, least of all mine.

Anytime you feel like "dropping down a few levels" to chit chat with me, feel free to do so, just get permission from the monkeys in the lower branches before you make your descent to where we humans dwell, they tend to take umbrage at lower species trying to jump the line.

Be that as it may, thanks for pointing out my rare faux pas, it has since been corrected, would twere (old english, well beyond your narrow grasp) that you were capable of such.

Consider yourself, OWNED.

I don't claim to be some uber-grammar geek but you, and a few others, do and STILL make the same mistakes as everyone else.  Your "edited" post shows you had to make more than one attempt at saving face.  What is the old saying about throwing stones or rocks?

Nail me on a logical discussion and I will consider myself owned.  Until then make sure you keep a spell checker and on-line dictionary on your hotlist incase a discussion dumbs down into your realm of spelling and grammar.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"