Author Topic: Congrats Spurs fans  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Congrats Spurs fans
« on: April 04, 2004, 05:26:28 PM »
Great defense today, I thought LA was going to pull it out in the 4th but your boys clamped down hard, good effort and congrats to you "real" fans. The "real" Spurs fans are the only ones that count, not some hating, pathetic, little bandwagon wannabe's that are more happy that LA lost than that San Antonio won.
Dan

Guest_spursfan101

Congrats Spurs fans
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 05:33:59 PM »
Thanks, but...

Unlike many Laker fans, I  think the Spurs are one of the few franchises that DON"T have many bandwagon fans. Even with 2 championship rings, I don't see many "new" Spurs fans popping up in other major cities.

Guest_spursfan101

Congrats Spurs fans
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 05:55:56 PM »

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Congrats Spurs fans
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 07:45:39 PM »
lol -- Spursfan101 -- great t-shirt although you do still have a couple of games left to win.

Congrats to the Spurs and their fans (I'll even congrat the bandwagon fan as well).  The Spurs did a great job against the Lakers in their halfset offense.  Bowen had his best game against Kobe and Manu, Parker and Willis were great.  This definately was a statement game -- the Lakers need to find a way to answer.

jn

Congrats Spurs fans
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 09:22:00 PM »
Congrats Spurs fans.  The West just gets crazier.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Congrats Spurs fans
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 09:55:57 PM »
Props Spurs fans....Great defense tonight. Thats the kind of defense that wins in the playoffs. Completly knocked the Lakers half court offense off.  Also, major props to Tony Parker taking Payton and Fish to school.  HUGE boost for this team heading into the playoffs and a decent sized lump in the Lakers stride to the playoffs.  Especially with Houston choking big time (Wheres the love for Yao refs damn).  Im very disapointed with the loss.  The championship road still runs thru SA so the Lakers are going to have to adjust because they will meet in the playoffs.  Great game to watch tho.  Cant complain about that.

Two major problems that are still lingering when the Lakers matchup

1.  Bowen makes Kobe work harder than anyone else in the league.  Kobe gets his but doesn't have the same energy he would on defense.  Also he is way less effecient on the offensive end shooting wise.  

2.  Parker is still killing the Lakers with his speed.

I noticed a few times Pop had to yell at Manu and Parker for doing what they felt......and then they end up getting the win because of it.  Maybe these guys actually know what they are doing Pop :lol:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 09:58:29 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Congrats Spurs fans
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 07:42:34 AM »
Good game, it was a nail biter for sure.  the only bad part was after the game when Shaq cried that the refs were our "new player" ....and it was the freaking lakers that got to the free throw line more in the game....no respect...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Congrats Spurs fans
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 08:45:27 AM »
As long as Bruce Bowen can force Kobme into making 9-26 shots, I like the Spurs chances. Just imagine if Kobe only shot, say, 15 shots, and you had an extra 10 attempts to divy up among Malone, Payton and Shaq?  Hmm. Could have been a different outcome. But that's the comptetitive Kobme, trying to get over on a great defender like Bowen.

Did you know Bowen has never made the first all defensive team??
Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Congrats Spurs fans
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 09:17:23 AM »
man.........where's all the laker fans???

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Guest_WayOutWest

Congrats Spurs fans
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 09:49:57 AM »
What a game.  Only caught the second half but what I saw was steady defense win the game.  I didn't get the impression that the Spurs were shutting down the Lakers as much as they were able to disrupt the flow.  The Lakers often found themselves improvising on offense and not getting their typical looks.  When the Lakers wanted they could pound the ball inside but because of the pressure on the perimeter the Lakers had trouble with the entry pass.  I assume this "disruption" seemed to go on all game, based on shotting %, with the exception of the opening minutes of the second half when the Lakers were getting dunks and layups.  Typically I expect Kobe to make some of the big plays needed to win these types of games, whether or not Bowen is guarding him, but yesterday Bowen and the Spurs interior D made it too difficult on Kobe.  The team D on Kobe was excellent, when Kobe would get by Bowen there would be someone waiting at the rim.

On the flip side the Lakers were able to clamp down on the Spurs on defense but only in short spurts.  They couldn't keep up the pressure for any extended amount of time so the Spurs only needed to make big plays every now and then as opposed to the Lakers having to make big plays almost every other possesion.  TD and Parker made the big plays when needed and Willis just seemed to get the crucial lose balls for put back or extra possesions.  A more consistent effort on D from the Lakers is needed.

All in all it was a great game.

P.S. I could very easily give credit for the win to the refs, as I'm positive would have happened had the Lakers won, but I don't have that much free time today.  

Guest_WayOutWest

Congrats Spurs fans
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 09:51:12 AM »
Good game, it was a nail biter for sure.  the only bad part was after the game when Shaq cried that the refs were our "new player" ....and it was the freaking lakers that got to the free throw line more in the game....no respect...
The refs could have also been called "Mr. Momentum Breaker" for the Lakers as well.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
Congrats Spurs fans
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 09:59:51 AM »
Congrats Spurs fans. The West just gets crazier.

Really, props need to be given to the T-wolves. Under intense pressure, they are holding their own.
Paul

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Congrats Spurs fans
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 10:35:51 AM »
Great defense today, I thought LA was going to pull it out in the 4th but your boys clamped down hard, good effort and congrats to you "real" fans. The "real" Spurs fans are the only ones that count, not some hating, pathetic, little bandwagon wannabe's that are more happy that LA lost than that San Antonio won.
You may find the following article parts helpful:

The word fan is taken from the word "fanatical"
It is also of interest to note the definition given to the word “fanatic” by Webster’s Third New International Dictionary, 1961 edition. It says: ‘Fanatic—Latin, inspired by a deity.
  • 1. possessed by or as if by a demon; broadly: crazed, frantic, mad.
  • 2. governed, produced, or characterized by too great zeal: extravagant, unreasonable; excessively enthusiastic, especially on religious subjects.’
Like spursfan101 I don't know of any bandwagon Spurs fans, but am aware of the millions of global Laker bandwagon fans along with a lifetime Fan like yourself.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 12:40:42 PM by Reality »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Congrats Spurs fans
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 11:07:49 AM »
Well, I for one am glad the Spurs won, but not so glad FOR the Spurs to be going into the playoffs playing this well. It is still quetionable whether the Kings can stay competitive with the Lakers till the playoffs start, but this loss at least postpones it a bit.

The Spurs made it clear this past week that they still own the championship by beating both the Kings and the Lakers. Their defense is going to make it tough on anyone wresting it from them.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Congrats Spurs fans
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2004, 11:26:06 AM »
Congrats to the Spurs and their fans.  Spurs did a great job of preventing the Lakers from getting in to their offense and passing the way they have been during their previous winning streak.  Parker had a great game and was definitely the difference maker.  I hope to meet in the playoffs again this year, should make for another great battle.