Author Topic: Congrats Spurs fans  (Read 3224 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Congrats Spurs fans
« on: May 19, 2008, 10:05:23 PM »
Looks like experience was a factor that really hurt the Hornets.  The Hornets kept going for the home run 3 point shot when they would have put a lot more pressure on the Spurs by making a 2 in the last two minutes.  To further compound the problem, they started going for 2 when the desperation 3 was called for.

Some of the 3's the Spurs made were murder.  TP was solid.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Congrats Spurs fans
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 10:12:14 PM »
Congrads guys.  People said last night's game was "epic" (which I couldn't disagree more with)  what would you call this one?  Very entertaining battle in the 4th there.    FINALLY that experience came into play.  The legs got really heavy for the Hornets and the mental drain started to show up in those last few minutes.  Pargo is not exactly the weapon I'd look for in a game 7.......

Cousin Lurker you have been kicked out of our family.  See you in the next round.  Feels like deju vu...2005...WCF......Fisher..... :o :o
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 10:14:08 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 10:45:39 PM »
Looks like experience was a factor that really hurt the Hornets.  The Hornets kept going for the home run 3 point shot when they would have put a lot more pressure on the Spurs by making a 2 in the last two minutes.  To further compound the problem, they started going for 2 when the desperation 3 was called for.

Wow you don't know what you're talking about, I thought we already confirmed here that "experience is overrated", do you need a script to keep up?

Seriously, EXACTLY what I thought would happen, happened, (just wish I had posted it here for the gloat factor) if SA can force a game 7, they win the series, BECAUSE THEY HAVE MORE EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!! I was right, Minnie Me as usual, was wrong, and now LA has a chance to slay the dragon.

Congrats SpursX3, Lurker, see you on Wednesday.
Dan

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 12:15:26 AM »
Very quick turn around!!

the game was great, although the locals jumped the gun and started cruising and honking horns like we won the title - STUPID!! ::)

next round is another tough match up.  I wonder if PJ will be yelling at Gasol because of timmie.  see you guys on Wed.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 01:05:34 AM »
Thank you $200 a night hotel.  DVD player/whatever system they had set up on the tv was all set to record, but no way to access playback.  Now I'm told they are "still working the bugs out of the new equipment system".  If you hear of a murder near Beverly Hills, CA, over a hotel tv recording device, I did it.

I got some decent peeks here and there.  Sure enough Pop-A-Cement and the Spurs with a big lead go into Martyball mode, forcing the ball into Tim Clunkin to complete his 5-18 night.  Honestly i knew that was coming after i saw the 14 point 3rd qtr lead.  New Orl gets within 3, rebounds another Clunkin miss and then keeps horking up treys?  What was up with that?  Concur with WoW that a two pointer with eons of time puts all kinds of choke pressure on Spurs.

The stretch i saw with Bob Horry, he looked great esp on D.  Saw him sink the trey too. :D

Blown away Golden Boi Chris Paul did not get all the calls even to the point of fouling out.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 10:51:48 AM »
This game showed why they play the series out on the court and not in the media.

Big time contributions from the Spurs bench (sans Barrdog).  Some big 3s, timely rebounding and tough defense.  Pop pulled out all defensive stops in trying to contain the Hornets.  I am sure he was thrilled to see Pargo try to be the man and horrified that he almost pulled it off.

IMO Paul was exposed as a team leader.  He might have been the best player on the floor but he didn't lead his team.  When forced to play a halfcourt game he over dribbled and used up too much of the clock.  West didn't get many touches in the second half (part due to D) which should fall squarely on the PG of the future's shoulders.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:58:49 AM »
you know, I am glad we won, not just because we get to keep the title just a little while longer, but because it put a lot of "foots" (yes,  'foots') in the mouths of some media out there.  I can understand how people thought oh this young Hornet squad was going to dethrone the champs, because I was afraid they would, but man you talk about morons like Stephen A. Smith doggin us and then not even having the guts to say anything after words about our win, or what about Rome calling our fans "not classy" because we chanted "Horry" when West crumpled.  Did anyone even BOTHER to pay attention to how rude the New Orleans fans were when the Spurs played, and even last night throwing ice on the floor, but I don't feel the least bit sorry for them.  The Spurs fans have stuck with our team through thick and thin, Hornets fans can't say the same, as soon as they start lose there will be far fewer seats at hornets games and you might even see the paper bags come out.  Typical new orleans sports fans.  On top of that, I stated that if the refs wanted to let the rough play take place then the Spurs should have played rough right back rather than be pushed by this young squad, IMO Horry was not being dirty - but he also was not exactly throwing a pick for manu's play.  I think he expected to put a body on West since West was going backwards but he did not know where to hit, how to hit, how much pressure , etc was needed to make this guy crumple.  The accusations that were tossed out by the media calling Horry "Cheapshot Bob" just goes to show how truly stupid some of these guys really are.  We may lose in this next round, But I for one, am glad that we sent the Hornets back to their swamp.  Pay back, IMO, was B*&^%!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 11:03:55 AM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 11:14:36 AM »
Congrats Spurs fans!   Big game 7 victory and the bench was key.  It might be cliche, but there is obviously something to be said for having been in that position before.  This was the Hornets first game 7 and it showed.  Props to NO for a great season.  They've got a bright future.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 11:45:16 AM »
Another interesting bit of trivia from this series:  Both teams scored 645 points.  So after all the one-sided wins the two teams scored the exact same number of points.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 01:29:24 PM »
Big time contributions from the Spurs bench (sans Barrdog).

sans Barrdog?  That is just a stupid comment!  How could the Spurs possibly win without Barrdog?  Like I said, STUPID with a capitol R!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 05:19:03 PM »
The Spurs deserve their props for hanging tough, but they won because N.O. Chocked.  Their last 2 games were a pathetic display of basketball, and while I'd like to give SA props for their tough D, it wasn't that.  All it was, was a team that crumbled under the pressure of winning.

Experience is bull. Completely overrated, but if NO ever does win, everyone will say they need to loose first to know what it felt like.  Anyone who does say that is an idiot.

Every player in the NBA has been in pressure situations before, and they all handled those challenges with success, which is why they are in the league.

Chris Paul didn't slow down, not only that he proved that he was the best player on the floor for both teams.  To say he didn't make the players around him better is just plain stupid.  He still had double-digit assist totals, in spite of his teamates inability to sink and open shot!  He can't shoot for them or make their decisions for them.  His teamates let him down and let themselves down. 

They will be back, Byron Scott deserves his props too, for coming back from being fired in NJ, and competing down to the wire in the Western Conference with a young team that no one gave much of a shot. 

Disappointing in as much as I wanted a closer series.  No nail biters in that series.

Looking forward to LA and the Spurs, who will become fodder for the Celtics?

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 05:23:59 PM »
Experience is bull. Completely overrated, but if NO ever does win, everyone will say they need to loose first to know what it felt like.  Anyone who does say that is an idiot.

ARRRGGGHH
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
The Spurs deserve their props for hanging tough, but they won because N.O. Chocked.  Their last 2 games were a pathetic display of basketball, and while I'd like to give SA props for their tough D, it wasn't that.  All it was, was a team that crumbled under the pressure of winning.

Every player in the NBA has been in pressure situations before, and they all handled those challenges with success, which is why they are in the league.

Chris Paul didn't slow down, not only that he proved that he was the best player on the floor for both teams.  To say he didn't make the players around him better is just plain stupid.  He still had double-digit assist totals, in spite of his teamates inability to sink and open shot!  He can't shoot for them or make their decisions for them.  His teamates let him down and let themselves down. 

They will be back, Byron Scott deserves his props too, for coming back from being fired in NJ, and competing down to the wire in the Western Conference with a young team that no one gave much of a shot. 

Disappointing in as much as I wanted a closer series.  No nail biters in that series.

So you mean when they asked Byron about about the Spurs surviving the third quarter and he answered that now they had no choice but to play hard in the fourth that had nothing to do with the Spurs D??  NO was banking that the same thing would have happenned in the third quarter that happenned in the previous games - and they lost because of that.  they figured they had it in the bag once the third came around and that would be it.  It wasn't.  Here is where the experience comes into play, when NO made the run and went up on us, we didn't crack, we went up 11 points on them - a less experienced team would have panicked, like ...oh I don't know....THE HORNETS!!  Which is what THEY did going into the fourth quarter!

"Every player in the NBA has been in pressure situations before, and they all handled those challenges with success, which is why they are in the league."

Ummm, no not all situations can be handled with "success" otherwise we would have a league full of Jordans.  With Success comes failure, and in the case of the Hornerts - they failed.  If they had to handle this with success, I would say they were a success at failing.  The fact they lost is nothing to be ashamed of, but don't cake walk because you were wrong about the Spurs - yet again.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 05:36:47 PM by SPURSX3 »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 05:36:10 PM »

ARRRGGGHH

Sooooo, Byron scott is an idiot..... ::)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 05:38:47 PM »

Uhh Rick...NO lost their composure in games because they've never experienced that pressure.

Aside from that how did NO give the game away when they were never in the lead to begin with?

There are different levels of pressure.  Playing in a game 7 is not the same as playing in a high school basketball game.

This I agree with.  Pargo iced out his own player at the end there too.  Can't knock Paul for that.

LOL!  That's rich!  The Celtics haven't won  a game on the road the entire playoffs and all the sudden they are better then the Lakers/Spurs?

Hmm what teams are better the Suns (who you picked to win the west), Jazz, Nuggets (who you said would beat the Lakers), and Hornets?  Or the Hawks and Cavs?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 05:41:22 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com