Author Topic: Findawg speaks to westkoast, Lurker.  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Findawg speaks to westkoast, Lurker.
« on: May 17, 2008, 12:08:33 PM »
and all.......

And while Popovich stressed that the Spurs' back-to-back victories had been forged by his team's defense, Finley reminded that offensive production can't be overlooked.

On top of everything, Finley said of the difference in the results at the AT&T Center after two blowout losses in New Orleans, it was coming home and finding some things defensively that could work for us. But more importantly, we've been sharing the ball offensively, and with that, we're able to score.

Believe it or not, defense can get us so far. Ultimately, we have to score on this team, and that's what we're doing.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051308.spursnotes.en.31b9d49.html
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 12:46:36 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Findawg speaks to westkoast, Lurker.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 12:20:06 PM »
Westkoast speaks directly to Reality VERY VERY VERY slowly....

This is a defensive team.  They win titles and games with defense.  While scoring is part of the game that is not what the Spurs do.  REAL Spurs fans, like myself, know that by watching the games.  Their game plan is to play good defense to win games.  Always has been.  Always will be.  The Spurs will not win Monday's game by trying to out score the Hornets.  They will lose that challenge and since the Hornets would face the Lakers you would need to go spend a lot of money on new NO gear.

You really should have been a Suns bandwagon fan this entire time.......not only did they beat the Lakers twice in the playoffs their offense flows like Fab's golden locks you admire so much.  Like yourself they don't understand defense and the importance of it when it comes to winning titles.  Plus you can get into Arizona really fast from San Diego.  Much faster then you could get to San Antonio.  Perfect fit if you ask me.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 12:30:22 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 12:36:47 PM »
My deprogramming work often entails bringing in a known, trusted source in attempts to reach the patient.  At present, you are not willing to listen to Findawg.  We will try this again at an appropriate time.

L 82-101
L 84-102
L 79-101
Ave 82 pts

Three Spurs Wins
W 110-99
W 100-80
W 99-80
Ave 105 pts (cracked 100 practically all 3 games.)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 12:58:29 PM »
My deprogramming work often entails bringing in a known, trusted source in attempts to reach the patient.  At present, you are not willing to listen to Findawg.  We will try this again at an appropriate time.

L 82-101
L 84-102
L 79-101
Ave 82 pts

Three Spurs Wins
W 110-99
W 100-80
W 99-80
Ave 105 pts (cracked 100 practically all 3 games.)

I am convinced I am being baited.....there is no way in hell that you post something like this up to prove a point about 'offense' getting the job done.

Before you hit the nifty post button did you care to look at in two of  the Spurs wins they held the Hornets to 20 below their average.  In their 3 loses to the Hornets they let them get up to 100 points with poor defense.  Had the defense been as good as it was in their wins 82 points would have been good enough to close this series up in 5 or 6.   As oppose to going into a game 7 against the Hornets at home where something like a .4 second shot could end their back to back hopes.

The offense will come and go.  Or should I say SuperManu will come or go in the series on that end of the court so the Spurs have to rely on defense to win series for them.  How can you be a huge Spurs fan and not know this?  Again I think maybe you should have been a Suns bandwagon fan.  Or now you can be a Knicks fan since D'Antoni is over there.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 01:01:53 PM by westkoast »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 09:43:35 AM »
Using Reality's same numbers:

L 82-101
L 84-102
L 79-101

Ave.  101 pts given up

W 110-99
W 100-80
W 99-80

Ave.  86 points given up

Final Game - 91-82.

The Spurs played 4 points better than their average in the wins DEFENSIVELY.
The Spurs played 14 points WORSE than their average in the wins OFFENSIVELY.

The Spurs are a DEFENSIVE team.  Sure, they have an offensive component.  But their forte is DEFENSE.

The final game really showed that.  During the third quarter, New Orleans couldn't BUY a basket.  West - who was the Hornet's leading score FOR THE GAME, was PARTICULARLY awful in the third quarter.  And in the game, the Spurs shot a wonderful 39.5 % from the field.  That's an offensive team?  I don't think so.  An offensive team that shoots 39.5 % from the field LOSES.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 10:45:53 AM »
Michael Finley was wrong.  Got it.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 11:04:02 AM »
Michael Finley was wrong.  Got it.

There is some other guy who is totally wrong and owned because he keeps posting on this board about the Spurs losing because of their lack of creative OFFENSE, when EVERYONE ELSE who has even HEARD of the Spurs knows they win games with DEFENSE!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 11:08:59 AM »
^^ try reading what Michael Finley said. 
You all are too hung up on labeling the Spurs either "Defensive" or "offensive".
I would label them "Defensive" if that was what this thread was about.   Point of the thread is not which one must be robotically chosen.  Read what Findawg said, comment on what Findawg said, it shall result in much growth. 
Otherwise it's just y'alls usual skirting of the issue and blabbering self-proclaimed ownage.

And try finding us tickets to one of the games at LA.  I'm doing my part.  msc you said something about if i ever wanted seats.....

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 11:12:21 AM »
Otherwise it's just y'alls usual skirting of the issue and blabbering self-proclaimed ownage.

We all bow down to THE master in that regard.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 12:30:49 PM »
Timmy dunks in post game interview Gm 3:

q.  Did the Spurs play better defense tonight, was that a key?

a.  "Actually i thought it was our OFFENSE that played better, that was more of a factor."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 12:32:53 PM »

a.  "Actually i thought it was our OFFENSE that played better, that was more of a factor."

Fantasy I love all the activity after the Spurs win.  Just can't quite put my finger on why you were so quiet last week...Hmmm, I might need to call in the Feds to crack this case  ::)

Offense comes and goes.  Defense does not.  In order for a team to be good for a long time, consistently, they need to play good defense. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 12:36:47 PM »

Fantasy I love all the activity after the Spurs win.  Just can't quite put my finger on why you were so quiet last week...Hmmm, I might need to call in the Feds to crack this case  ::)

Offense comes and goes.  Defense does not.  In order for a team to be good for a long time, consistently, they need to play good defense. 

I would love for the Spurs to go offense vs offense against the Lakers!  The Spurs have no chance at outscoring the Lakers, they have to rely on their D to keep the Lakers below their 100+ playoff average and hope their shots keep falling from behind the arc.

IMO it's all up to the role players to win the next game in SA.  Keep an eye on Manu and Kurt on the Spurs and Sasha, Framar and Turiaf for the Lakers.  Walton really needs to do SOMETHING on the road in this series.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 12:42:31 PM »

I would love for the Spurs to go offense vs offense against the Lakers!  The Spurs have no chance at outscoring the Lakers, they have to rely on their D to keep the Lakers below their 100+ playoff average and hope their shots keep falling from behind the arc.

IMO it's all up to the role players to win the next game in SA.  Keep an eye on Manu and Kurt on the Spurs and Sasha, Framar and Turiaf for the Lakers.  Walton really needs to do SOMETHING on the road in this series.

Maybe Tim Duncan thinks their offense is better but holding the lakers to 20+ points under their playoff average tells me otherwise....

Not only would I love to see the Spurs try to outscore the Lakers I'd like to see Reality take Pop's place.  That way we wouldn't have to worry about seeing the Spurs do anything for the next century.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 02:04:36 PM »
Maybe Tim Duncan thinks their offense is better but holding the lakers to 20+ points under their playoff average tells me otherwise....

Relative to the first two games the offense was way better...making a few perimeter shots prevents LA from packing the middle on D.  And if Duncan's quote was taken in context he was saying that the difference in game 3 wasn't the defense but that the Spurs offense worked well.  But he did say that defense was still the key to the Spurs winning..
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 02:11:13 PM »

But he did say that defense was still the key to the Spurs winning..
  He said no such thing.