Author Topic: Stupid Boozer  (Read 5839 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stupid Boozer
« on: May 15, 2008, 09:17:04 AM »
Actually I don't if that's fair. I "watched" the last 6 minutes on ESPN Gamecast and it seemed like Boozer had a three minute span where he did nothing right. Don't know if that's accurate or not.

Looks like the C-note I sent through the mail to Vujacic worked though. Homeboy almost gave us the game with the bricks and the T. He gave a good effort for us, we just couldn't get a board when we needed one.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stupid Boozer
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 09:35:25 AM »
Sasha still hit one or two momentum pushing 3s even though he didn't light it up.  He is not use to having to guard a shooter off screens like that and it he thrown off by it.  Sloan is running a number of plays for Korver in a row to really try to exploit what he feels is a solid plan of attack.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:44:46 AM »
we just couldn't get a board when we needed one.

Hard to when you get shoved in the back, on TWO different plays.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:45:50 AM »
Sasha still hit one or two momentum pushing 3s even though he didn't light it up.  He is not use to having to guard a shooter off screens like that and it he thrown off by it.  Sloan is running a number of plays for Korver in a row to really try to exploit what he feels is a solid plan of attack.

I forget which game Kover abused Sasha, they had Kover going to the basket instead of taking the outside shots.  He scored easily on Sasha but the Jazz went away from it.  The whole bench seems to be playing poorly right now, so is RadMan.  The abuse going on uder the basket is brutal.  The Lakers are really comming up soft under the boards.  Even Turiaf looks overmatched out there.  Boozer does not seem to be able to get things going, he keeps making the wrong decisions and second guessing himself.  The Lakers defense is non-existent right now, I hope they can play some D in Utah and burry the Jazz by 20+.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:46:12 AM »
there was a lot of forced shots on Utahs part, so I don't think it was just because of shoving.  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:49:02 AM »

Amazing how that works isn't it?  I can't believe it took the Lakers 3 1/2 quarters to figure that out.  Utah, Boozer in particular, get away with that so much all game long that it makes the game look like a WWE match.  I've seen some great rebounders over the years in the NBA but rarely do I see average rebounders look great because they get away with so much pushing in the back all game long.  I doubt any Utah big man would make it to half time without fouling out of the game if they got called for every push and over the back they commit on the offensive boards.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 10:02:52 AM »

::)

I think its funny to hear you complain about this when Okur was doing it the entire night.  They just were not calling that type of foul from the jump so you can't get upset about it when they ignored it for Okur for 47 minutes.  Really Okur should have fouled out around the end of the 3rd but somehow only finished with I believe 4 fouls.

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 10:17:55 AM »
I agree the entire Utah roster should have fouled out by the end of FIRST QUARTER.  Take every single Utah player and eject him out of the game in the 1st Quarter if you want to remain consistent with the bullshyte calls in the 4th.  Call it MINUTE ONE!!  Call those same bail out foul calls SECOND ONE of the game, and foul the entire roster out you zebra piece of sh . . .

The thing that makes me mad is that I don't for sure that Utah is the worst team.  I don't know for sure if they deserved to win or lose.  I got robbed out of watching a basketball game.  Watching Lakers take free throws for an entire quarter isn't great basketball.  (Gasol with a turn around hook shot over Okur in the post at 2 minute mark was the only basketball play I saw the Lakers make in the ENTIRE 4th QUARTER)     

So congratulations Kobe and the Lakers, you made pressure free throws, truly awesome basketball.  Sorry if that rings hollow.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 10:25:33 AM »
I agree the entire Utah roster should have fouled out by the end of FIRST QUARTER.  Take every single Utah player and eject him out of the game in the 1st Quarter if you want to remain consistent with the bullshyte calls in the 4th.  Call it MINUTE ONE!!  Call those same bail out foul calls SECOND ONE of the game, and foul the entire roster out you zebra piece of sh . . .

The thing that makes me mad is that I don't for sure that Utah is the worst team.  I don't know for sure if they deserved to win or lose.  I got robbed out of watching a basketball game.  Watching Lakers take free throws for an entire quarter isn't great basketball.  (Gasol with a turn around hook shot over Okur in the post at 2 minute mark was the only basketball play I saw the Lakers make in the ENTIRE 4th QUARTER)     

So congratulations Kobe and the Lakers, you made pressure free throws, truly awesome basketball.  Sorry if that rings hollow.

*YAWN*

You must have been watching a different game if the only play you saw being made by the Lakers was a jump hook.

If the Jazz didn't get themselves into the penalty at the 8 minute mark that might not have happened.  You take the good with the bad.  If you want to beat up on teams and wear them down playing that brand of basketball you are going to put yourself into those type of situations.  Although the reason they ended up in the penalty quickly was due to the Lakers (Kobe and Lamar mainly) being able to attack the paint at will with the help defenders not coming over or coming over too late.

Complaining about Okur pushing off tho is ridiculous beyond belief.  You can complain about the bullshyte calls if you want but the same thing happened in Utah to the Lakers.  You want to complain about last minute blown calls but fail to mention Deron Williams 3 step to the basket at the end of the last game? LOL.   I find complaining about the refs in this series a waste of time.  Both teams were extremely good at home the entire year so I am not quite sure why everyone is surprised about both teams winning on their home floor.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 10:37:15 AM »

LOL!  Both teams were in the penalty at about the same time.  Jazz players were playing out of control and throwing themselves at defenders and getting bailed out.

FYI, the Jazz were right at about their average for fouls, actually I think they were one under.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 10:47:50 AM »

This was like a bizarro game 4! 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 10:52:43 AM »

LOL!  The Jazz actually got called for a lot less fouls in game 5 than is their norm, the last 4 or more fouls were to stop the clock so they were way under.

Hope they call it the same in Utah, I doubt it, it's only because of the Utah refs that the Jazz are even in this series, this could have been a sweep, it should have been over in 5 but game 4 was bought by the Jazz.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 11:05:04 AM »
It's funny to hear Jazz fans complain about getting more fouls called on them then their opponents -- they must be playoff bandwagon fans since they failed to watch a single Jazz game all year long.  Utah averages 11 more fouls a game than their opponents -- why?  Because they play physical with their bodies and push opponents all over the floor.  Okur is the leagues worst about pushing defenders in the back to garner the rebound -- he does it almost every single play and I think got called for it twice that night.  There's a reason why the Jazz got so many foul calls last night -- it's because they deserve them -- they want to play that way but then want to whine about getting called for fouls?

The Lakers were hurting last night -- you could tell Kobe was feeling it although he did a great job of leading the team and becoming a facilitator and not trying to push it like he did in OT in game #4.  Sasha is also hurting -- his big toe is killing him.  Both Pau and Okur have been out for practices so if the Jazz were going to take a game (esp. with Kobe at 60% -- perhaps less), this was the one to take.  They had their chances and some wide open looks (as did the Lakers). 

Odom was the hero for the Lakers -- he was everywhere and had a monster game.  RadMan actually showed up and hit some shots (and it's a good thing -- I had a hit man on speed dial if he had another game where he missed all his shots -- the guy is an idiot on defense so he had BETTER make some shots when he is on the floor).  Also, Lamar was PERFECT from the freethrow line!  After going 50% in game #4, it was good to see. 

I'm hoping that Kobe is far better (at least 95%) for game #6 -- we need everyone healthy.  Of course, I'm expecting the Jazz to get homecooking on their own home court.  Here's betting that the officiating calls a game very similar to game #4 -- the Lakers still had their chance to win that game -- they really need to win a game in Salt Lake.

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 11:30:29 AM »
You can complain about the bullshyte calls if you want but the same thing happened in Utah to the Lakers.

. . . and that is why I came right on this board and said in point blank terms, UTAH DESERVED TO LOSE!

THANK YOU, MSC!  For being the only Laker fan with more cognitive skill than a macadamia nut.

Hope they call it the same in Utah, I doubt it, it's only because of the Utah refs that the Jazz are even in this series, this could have been a sweep, it should have been over in 5 but game 4 was bought by the Jazz.

Yes I also hope that Kobe goes the entire 4th quarter without having a singular attempted field goal yet scoring everytime down the floor.  After all that's what I want to see.  Free throws.  Really its the only reason I watch the playoffs.  Free throws.  When I reminisce about great teams, I just want to know how many free throws they made.  When I'm telling my grandchildren about the best players, I'm only going to tell them about clutch free throws.  I LOVE IT when I watch free throw after free throw.  Nothing makes me happier than watching someone stroke from the free throw line.  Free throws are cool.  Keep your dunks and threes, give me free throws.  If I was a Laker fan, I'd love it when Steve Javie has a greater impact on the game than Kobe Bryant.  Free throws, free throws, free throws.  Boy o' boy we don't have enough free throws.

Here's to free throws guys.  <thumbs up>     

It's funny to hear Jazz fans complain about getting more fouls called on them then their opponents -- they must be playoff bandwagon fans since they failed to watch a single Jazz game all year long.  Utah averages 11 more fouls a game than their opponents -- why?  Because they play physical with their bodies and push opponents all over the floor.  Okur is the leagues worst about pushing defenders in the back to garner the rebound -- he does it almost every single play and I think got called for it twice that night.  There's a reason why the Jazz got so many foul calls last night -- it's because they deserve them -- they want to play that way but then want to whine about getting called for fouls?

The Lakers were hurting last night -- you could tell Kobe was feeling it although he did a great job of leading the team and becoming a facilitator and not trying to push it like he did in OT in game #4.  Sasha is also hurting -- his big toe is killing him.  Both Pau and Okur have been out for practices so if the Jazz were going to take a game (esp. with Kobe at 60% -- perhaps less), this was the one to take.  They had their chances and some wide open looks (as did the Lakers). 

Odom was the hero for the Lakers -- he was everywhere and had a monster game.  RadMan actually showed up and hit some shots (and it's a good thing -- I had a hit man on speed dial if he had another game where he missed all his shots -- the guy is an idiot on defense so he had BETTER make some shots when he is on the floor).  Also, Lamar was PERFECT from the freethrow line!  After going 50% in game #4, it was good to see. 

I'm hoping that Kobe is far better (at least 95%) for game #6 -- we need everyone healthy.  Of course, I'm expecting the Jazz to get homecooking on their own home court.  Here's betting that the officiating calls a game very similar to game #4 -- the Lakers still had their chance to win that game -- they really need to win a game in Salt Lake.

Actually the Lakers got off scott fr---ah hell, I'm too tired,I'll just leave it at:

Randy, WOW at least gets perverse, sadistic pleasure out of getting under people's skin and is most of the time funny, you sir are an idiot!

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 11:51:12 AM »
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-32-195/Something-Foul.html

Here is something you can stick in your idiot box -- imagine that not EVERYONE saw the world as you saw it?  The Jazz average 11 fouls ALL SEASON more than there opponents and suddenly you want them to ignore the Jazz's physical play and just swallow the whistle.  It would be a bit asier to swallow if you weren't a Jazz fan.  Try reading this and then perhaps even watching a Tivo of it. 

Something Foul

Here's a fun little NBA thing you can do while watching NBA basketball with friends and a Tivo: After any rebound in traffic, announce loudly "That was a FOUL!"

Somebody -- a fan of the team that ended up with the ball -- will disagree.

Then rewind the Tivo, and play the scene again, in slow motion.

At that speed, somewhere in that play, you will see someone doing something that could easily be called a foul. I can almost guarantee it.

And when that happens, you will look like a genius.

Good little party trick, but also evidence that referees have almost total discretion. They allow enough contact that they can, essentially, call fouls whenever they want.

Similarly, I used to commute on a straight, flat road with unbelievably good visibility, no side streets, not even any buildings around. Everybody traveled at least 45 or 50 for that stretch of a mile or so, and even that didn't feel remotely dangerous. But the speed limit was posted at 25 -- a speed literally nobody ever traveled.

Which meant the police could stop ... absolutely whomever they wanted.

That's a lot of power!

ESPN's J.A. Adande suggests that last night that kind of power, in the hands of Steve Javie, Tom Washington, and Bob Delaney, was used to favor the home team:

The benefits of home were more apparent on the stat sheet: The Lakers enjoyed a 42-28 advantage in free-throw attempts (and that includes the four free throws Bryant shot in the final 10.7 seconds, when the Jazz fouled to stop the clock).

When the Jazz got close to the basket, there was more contact than in a rush-hour crowd shoving into the subway, but rarely a blown whistle. Meanwhile, at the other end, Lamar Odom breezed past Carlos Boozer for a layup and got a gift and-one. And Utah players and coaches are still wondering how Mehmet Okur could wind up sprawling toward the baseline, leaving Pau Gasol alone under the basket for an easy offensive rebound and dunk to put the Lakers ahead by five points with 20.5 seconds remaining.

I suspected as much watching the game on TV. There was a lot going on under the Jazz hoop without a lot of free throws resulting. Carlos Boozer really wanted a foul that I think he probably should have gotten, for instance.

But nothing was quite like that moment when Pau Gasol hammered Mehmet Okur.

That's the play when we all learned the Jazz were unlikely to win this series. They had been hanging around with a puncher's chance. They got the key miss. But when it came time for the all-important rebound, their guy started the play with Pau Gasol all over his back, and ended it with Okur stumbling forward out of the play entirely as Gasol dunked the de facto game-winner.

It's in these highlights, near the very end.

In fact, that Tivo trick I just told you about? I acted that out pretty well. "Are you kidding me?" I barked at the screen.

Rewind. Slow motion. I watched several times. Hard to tell. By any measure, Gasol was more intimate with Okur than the rules would strictly allow, but welcome to the playoffs, you know? What I wanted to see was the moment when Gasol shoved Okur out of the way. With all the contact, that moment was tough to isolate.

I assumed I had been correct, however.

A few minutes later, though, TNT showed another view, as Doug Collins announced that Okur tried to pretend he had been shoved, but in fact wasn't.

This made me even angrier. There had been a terrible no-call, and now the announcer was going to add insult to injury by accusing Okur, essentially, of being a dramatic baby?

Let us not forget, all this is going on with a shot at the Western Conference Finals likely on the line. It was 105-102. Deron Williams had been hitting threes. There were twenty seconds left.

Let us also not forget that the Utah Jazz are generally considered to be one of the roughest and toughest teams in the NBA.

I hit the rewind button on that second angle, followed by the slow-motion button. I watched it again and again.

And I was shocked.

Look, maybe there's something I missed. But that angle sure seemed telling. And the more times I watched it, the more clear it was: Okur did flop.

He had been shoved in the back moments before with a Gasol forearm that was still planted in his back. It was the kind of thing that is never called. Just battling for position. But Okur had been pushed a little deeper into the lane than he probably wanted to go. Sasha Vujacic's 3 from the corner bounced off the back of the rim, and took a perfect carom almost directly to the spot Gasol had freshly stolen from Okur.

Even though the Jazz had boxed out all the way around the rim, this ball was even money or better to make its way over Okur's head and into the waiting hands of Gasol.

My best interpretation of the video is that Okur tried to get his team possession another way -- by dramatizing a foul that had actually occurred seconds earlier.

He did a pretty good job of it too. But in the end, it was a rebound, dunk, game, and likely series to the Lakers.

And so I stopped being mad at the no call. And I started getting mad at the flopping.

UPDATE: Love this Matt Harpring quote, from the Salt Lake Tribune: "Sometimes when you come down the stretch like that, it's who wants the ball more. We've got to get the ball. Those are just hustle plays. They're not going to call fouls like that. You've just got to find a way to come up with the ball."