Author Topic: Lakers/Jazz Game 5  (Read 3606 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Lakers/Jazz Game 5
« on: May 15, 2008, 09:16:40 AM »
All the action and thrills of a game 7.  Great game.  It looks like the Jazz are closing the gap on the Lakers at Staples Center.  I still can not believe the Lakers are winning games despite being dominated on the boards.  William is charging towards that unguardable territory and is keeping his team in games when the going gets tough.  It was amazing that Kobe did not take a shot in the 4th and the Lakers still managed to win.

Game 6 is a test for the Lakers, are they truely a championship contendor that has that killer instinct.  They close out the Jazz in Utah and I like their chances against anyone.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lakers/Jazz Game 5
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 09:26:25 AM »
I was at the game last night and it was an excellent game to go see.  I'll toss up some pictures I got while there a little bit later.  There was a buzz in the building for the entire game (save one stretch in the 3rd) so I agree it felt like a game 7.  The Laker fans were antsy last night.

To me the Jazz are closing the gap as you put it by 1) playing with a lot more confidence since losing the first 2 and 2) they've worn the Lakers down a bit.  After being at game 1 and seeing how rough the Jazz make it on the opposing team I had a feeling if the series went long it would really put a hurting on the bodies.  You can see it in Gasol and you can see it in Luke Walton.  They are still producing but they are working really hard to do it.  Kobe obviously has had his body take a beating as well. 

If Lamar Odom didn't have yet another awesome game the Lakers would have dropped this game and most likely lost the series.  Odom was by far the best player on the floor last night and I think Laker fans have to be extremely happy that he didn't get away from the franchise in a trade similar to what they wanted to do with Bynum.  He really is a match up nightmare for any squad in the league.

There is A LOT of contact away from the ball.  I don't think people watching on tv can quite understand how hard each squad is banging with each other.  A couple of plays last night I missed the shot even going up because I was too busy watching Korver off screens, Matt/Luke going at it, and Okur/Gasol going at it. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 09:31:31 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:43:57 AM »
It looked like Utah was going to get the win there.  Great game and I gotta give Utah props for some really good play last night.  Home cooking is REALLY making a difference in the second round, LA had that extra little push from the crowd and survived a good run by the Jazz.  Great game last night.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:45:49 AM »
Home cooking is REALLY making a difference in the second round

It sure is. ::)
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:51:37 AM »

I'm pissed the overly biased refs did not show up at Staples last night.  If the Lakers got the calls Utah got in Utah they would have won by 20+.  The blatent foul on LO on the last possesion of the 2nd quarter was not called and I nearly kicked my TV.  Lucky for the Lakers Gasol was there for the put back.  The fouls that are being called against Walton are rediculous!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:57:56 AM »

I'm pissed the overly biased refs did not show up at Staples last night. 

Steve Javie was there last night.  The Joey Crawford to the Lakers San Antonio Spurs  ;D

I didn't think the refs did too bad of a job last night.  I think they missed a lot of fouls on Okur either pushing off for rebounds or banging into Gasol while he clearly had position.  There was also a few ticky tack fouls called on AK last night.  Other then that I think they did a decent job actually.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:01:11 AM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 10:11:24 AM »

I'm pissed the overly biased refs did not show up at Staples last night. 

Steve Javie was there last night.  The Joey Crawford to the Lakers San Antonio Spurs  ;D

I didn't think the refs did too bad of a job last night.  I think they missed a lot of fouls on Okur either pushing off for rebounds or banging into Gasol while he clearly had position.  There was also a few ticky tack fouls called on AK last night.  Other then that I think they did a decent job actually.

I don't mind the way they are calling games if they would call it the same on both ends.  The Laker big men are getting fouled a lot with no calls, they are soft enough as it is so it really kills them to be banged around then they cannot do the same on the other side.  AK reaches a lot to trying to be the defensive stopper instead of just playing solid defense.  That one call where Boozer just lowered his shoulder and ran over Gasol and Gasol got called for the foul was just beyond belief.  I am glad the Lakers got a make up call on that Gasol push off for a put back and game winner.  It is so funny to watch the Jazz players complain about something they are doing all game long.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 10:46:01 AM »
This thread is hilarious.  The inconsistancy of calls and the effect it has on the game...not just directly but indirectly as in making a team play less aggressive or putting a team into the penalty in the first few minutes of a quarter...is the thing I have been "whining" about for the past 2-3 post seasons.  Now to see about half the board (Jazz/Laker fans) go back and forth on this is cosmic justice.

Thank you all for the laughs.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 10:50:45 AM »
This thread is hilarious.  The inconsistancy of calls and the effect it has on the game...not just directly but indirectly as in making a team play less aggressive or putting a team into the penalty in the first few minutes of a quarter...is the thing I have been "whining" about for the past 2-3 post seasons.  Now to see about half the board (Jazz/Laker fans) go back and forth on this is cosmic justice.

One reason you did not hear the Laker fans pipe up is because they have only played the Suns, very soft defensively and not a rough and tumble bunch like the Jazz.  I'm sure if the Lakers had played the Spurs or Jazz you would have heard whinning from this corner as well.

The Lakers, post-Shaq, have been a finess team bordering on "soft" (acutally IMO the front line is soft).  They do not play a physical game so when they get called for ticky tack stuff and the Jazz get away with murder it is very frustrating.  Even though the Celtics are one of, if the not the, best defensive team in the league, they are not half as physical as the Spurs or Jazz.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 11:08:50 AM »
I don't mind physical play -- it's all the pushing in the back that happens so the Jazz can rule the boards that kills me.  Every single play -- and it's so obvious most of the time -- it's like they dare the officials to call it.  My favorite ref moment last night was the refs huddling up after giving Milsap a foul and then realizing it was his 3rd foul -- then changing it to someone else so he could stay in the game!   ::)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 11:13:29 AM »

You shouldn't be lumping me in here IMO.  While I've brought up inconsistency of calls I thought that i've done a decent job trying to be objective about it.  I haven't complained about the calls, I've mentioned it, but I haven't really complained.  Like I said in the other thread I feel that complaining about the refs in this series is not worth it.  Both squads are getting away with a lot so to bring up a few plays here and there is not worth it. 

Fisher getting into foul trouble in the first half does hurt the Lakers.  The Jazz getting into the penalty at the start of the 4th hurts them.  At the end of the day though it seems to even out IMO.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 11:32:13 AM »
Props to the Lakers for getting it done. I didn't watch the game so I can't speak authoritatively, but I have watched a lot of Jazz basketball this season. I watched the play in question, and, I'm trying hard to be objective here, that was an obviously hard push in the back. Boozer gets called for that almost once a game on average, far too much. But you guys make it sound like that's the only way the Jazz can dominate in rebounds the way they do. Are you guys really saying the Jazz push people that hard that often? Honestly? By the way, Mehmet Okur is a very good rebounder and is a rapidly improving defender, enough to make life a little tougher on Pau Gasol by himself.

Anyway, you guys do realize you won the game right? The whining coming from the Laker side is surprisingly loud considering the calls went your way at the most pivotal moments of the game. WoW, you are bitching so much lately . . . even when you win! Are you hitting Manopause or something?

Here's part of what J.A. Adande had to say about it in the Dime:

"When the Jazz got close to the basket, there was more contact than in a rush-hour crowd shoving into the subway, but rarely a blown whistle. Meanwhile, at the other end, Lamar Odom breezed past Carlos Boozer for a layup and got a gift and-one. And Utah players and coaches are still wondering how Mehmet Okur could wind up sprawling toward the baseline, leaving Pau Gasol alone under the basket for an easy offensive rebound and dunk to put the Lakers ahead by five points with 20.5 seconds remaining."

That's an objective outsider's take on the closing minutes. And you're still bitching about that game?  ::)

"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 11:38:46 AM »
The whining coming from the Laker side is surprisingly loud considering the calls went your way at the most pivotal moments of the game.

Ted, thats why I can't stand this chicken$#it argument of:  you guys do it all game long, waaaaaahh, all game long, waaaaaahhh, Utah players are soooooo rouugh, waaaaaah, they get away with murder, waaaaaahhhh.

Tell you what Laker girls (not talking to LFD or msc) I'll give you EVERY SINGLE CALL ALL GAME, give me EVERY SINGLE CALL THE LAST 5 minutes of the game.   
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 11:42:11 AM »
Tell you what Laker girls (not talking to LFD or msc) I'll give you EVERY SINGLE CALL ALL GAME, give me EVERY SINGLE CALL THE LAST 5 minutes of the game.   

You got that in games 1 and 2 to the tune of a DOUBLE digit win by the Lakers.  Done deal!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 11:47:25 AM »
The whining coming from the Laker side is surprisingly loud considering the calls went your way at the most pivotal moments of the game.

Ted, thats why I can't stand this chicken$#it argument of:  you guys do it all game long, waaaaaahh, all game long, waaaaaahhh, Utah players are soooooo rouugh, waaaaaah, they get away with murder, waaaaaahhhh.

It's not an argument.   If they are not calling something for an entire game why do you expect them to all the sudden do it?   Poor Jazz fans you guys get calls at home but not on the road.  Welcome to the club with everyone else in the Semi-Finals.  Deron Williams got away with a walk, Pau got away with a push.  No reason for either side to cry.  Although I might add NONE OF US complained about the Deron 3 step.

I hope by WAH you mean "Where Amazing Happens"  ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:50:03 AM by westkoast »