Author Topic: I just can't help my flare for . . .  (Read 5515 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: I just can't help my flare for . . .
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 11:35:37 AM »
Sloan stated before the game that his players can't put their hands on the Lakers -- it's the way they are trying to play defense.  They are known for it -- it's why they lead the league in opponents freethrows attempted.  
I merely posted the stats and Sloans quotes.  You and koastie feeling guilty are the ones rationalizing.

And of course Utah shooting the same # of freethrows thruout the whole series is because?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 11:39:18 AM »
Sloan stated before the game that his players can't put their hands on the Lakers -- it's the way they are trying to play defense.  They are known for it -- it's why they lead the league in opponents freethrows attempted.  
I merely posted the stats and Sloans quotes.  You and koastie feeling guilty are the ones rationalizing.

And of course Utah shooting the same # of freethrows thruout the whole series is because?
They continue to settle for more jumpers then attacking the rim.  If you subtract Paul Millsap in the paint last night you will notice they didn't attack very much up until the 4th quarter.  The same thing happened in game 1 with their shot selection.

Really you should try watching games if you want to pose questions to spark a debate.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 11:41:47 AM »
They continue to settle for more jumpers then attacking the rim.

Your default excuse.  No matter how many times the Lakers opponent takes the ball to the rim just as much (or more) then they do. :D  No other NBA team takes the ball to the rack. ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 11:43:47 AM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 11:44:25 AM »

Reality this is the basketball discussion police....please come out with your hands up and put the box score down.  I repeat put the box score down.

You obviously didn't watch the last two games.  Even Jerry Sloan said that their shot selection in game 1 left a lot to be desired.  Charles Barley and Kenny Smith said the same thing last night at half time.  They are settling for jumpers.   It's more then just me who sees this Reality.  If you watched both games all the way through you would know that!   The only person who attacked the rim last night was Paul Millsap and Deron Williams in the 4th.  I mean why even bother trying to comment on it if you did not watch the games?  Do you think this is Fan Home where you can fake it and people won't call you on it?

The Lakers are attacking and that's why they are shooting over 50% for the series and I believe at 48% from beyond the arc.  I'd love to hear you try to twist that one around.  Obviously the Jazz are not playing good defense all the way around.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 11:47:23 AM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 11:57:47 AM »
^^ I have not once in this thread said the overall game FTs were not warranted.

I only watched a few snippets.  Including the very end where AK guarded Kome and kept getting rung up every time he breathed on the MVP.  Those calls were a joke, but the game was over by that time.  To me, more incredible then the FTs that SLOAN alluded to is Laker opponents continuing to let Derek Swisher get wide open treys.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 12:05:24 PM »

I only watched a few snippets.  Including the very end where AK guarded Kome and kept getting rung up every time he breathed on the MVP.  Those calls were a joke, but the game was over by that time.  To me, more incredible then the FTs that SLOAN alluded to is Laker opponents continuing to let Derek Swisher get wide open treys.

So if you watched bits and pieces why are you trying to act like you know if the Jazz were attacking more then the Lakers or not?  This is not fan home and you will get called on it.

Violet Palmer NBA referee, had a relative call into Dan Patrick's show (Violet is his Aunt) this morning and they discussed something very interested.  He said that Violet explained to him that during the course of a game there is a lot of babysitting by the refs.  Babysitting meaning they say a lot of 'stop grabbing' 'watch your hands' to warn the players.  By the time they call fouls it may look ticky tack at times but they've actually been warned through out the game multiple times.  That is something the fan doesn't get to see on TV and probably you wouldn't hear unless you sat close at games on a consistant basis.

Let me guess you also believe that Lord Sternfish, being the almighty god he is, knew in advance the Lakers would play the Jazz in the second round this year against his pre-determined MVP to the point where he pulled strings to get Fisher into LA so that he could help exploit the Jazz offense and defense with his knowledge from being on the team  ::)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 12:07:19 PM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 12:13:35 PM »

So if you watched bits and pieces why are you trying to act like you know if the Jazz were attacking more then the Lakers or not?  This is not fan home and you will get called on it. 
Thanks FRAN*.  I relied on the thousands of other games you have claimed rrrrrrrraaaaagh the Lakers took it to the rack and the opponents never did.  If this was a very rare one that indeed the Lakeshow did take it to the rack much more then the Jazz, then so be it.  The huge O rebound advantage for the Jazz does not coincide with such, but i only saw snippets so....

Violet "Kobe" Palmer?   :D :D  Spare me. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »

Thanks FRAN*.  I relied on the thousands of other games you have claimed rrrrrrrraaaaagh the Lakers took it to the rack and the opponents never did.  If this was a very rare one that indeed the Lakeshow did take it to the rack much more then the Jazz, then so be it.  The huge O rebound advantage for the Jazz does not coincide with such, but i only saw snippets so....

Violet "Kobe" Palmer?   :D :D  Spare me. 

Very rare case?  This is the 6th playoff game in a row that the Lakers attacked the rim for most of the game. Watch and you shall see.

How many times do you have to be told that looking at a box score doesn't tell you everything that happened in a game?  The Lakers also got out rebounded in EVERY game against the Nuggets but that didn't mean they were not attacking.  The big gap in offensive rebounding has to do with a number of things you can't tell from the box score.  One thing you should be able to tell from studying the box score it is is REALLY hard to get offensive rebounds when you shoot 62% for an entire half lol

Violet Palmer has not officiated in any of the games so far.  Her nephew who called in did so just to speak about that.  Not to comment on the game.  Quit trying to twist things around.  The comment applies to all games and all teams.  Even the team you just broke up with because they are not winning.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »

Reality states:
I know it's 19-6 FTAs in favor of the Collusionists but are you already giving up Skandery?
Surely this won't happen in Utah.

Maybe it is inevitible 

You can't remember what you post because you spin so much you make yourself dizzy and you can't be objective!

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 01:01:12 PM »
Yawn. 

Randy and 'koast, why do you guys constantly get baited by Reality? 

I don't get it; it's been the same old story going back to 2000, "free throw gifts", "ref favoritism", "Sternfish", "arrrghh".  It's so beyond tired it's ridiculous yet time and time again, eight years later, you still chomp at the bait every time.  Aren't you bored of it yet?  I sure am. 

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 01:17:40 PM »
I think Carlos Boozer is the most guilty of this.  Not just by his body language on the court and bench during the game but in interviews leading up game 2.  Some of his comments (IMO) sounded shakey and more like wishful thinking then 'we are going in there to rip the fun out of Lakers squad'

Carlos Boozer is a regular season player.  Nothing wrong with that.  It is what it is.  Kevin Garnett said it in the most eloquent way possible, he said and I paraphrase:

"Pre-season is pre-season.  Playground is playground.  Regular season is what it is.  And playoffs is playoffs.  Maybe it sounds cliche but its a completely different thing."

Yeah its still a 94 foot court, yeah you still try and shoot an orange ball through a hoop, but the regular season and the playoffs are two COMPLETELY different things.  Boozer is the type of player who does well in the regular season, at the lower intensity level.  Dip him into peel-your-skin-off, boiling oil of playoff intense basketball, and he shrinks into nothing.  You can't give someone a heart transplant so get used to seeing Boozer take high arching, fade away jumpers from 17 feet.  And I just wish the announcers would go two freakin' seconds without mentioning "what's wrong with Boozer" before I lose my mind.  Anybody with 2 brain cells to rub together should know and be able to COMMENTATE on it!

And Skandery...of all the bench players to pick on you choose Ronnie to don the 'scum' title?!  I thought for sure people would pick Sasha for that long before Ronnie.  Some of the coaches are bigger jerks then Ronnie is!!

koast, I used "scum" as a colloquial term for deep.  Turiaf is a deep bench player (like #9 or something).  Bench scum refers to your 9, 10, 11, and 12 guys on the roster.  I do not truly think of Turiaf as scum, he actually seems like a nice fellow and a great teammate.  Now Vujacic is scum any way you slice it but that's not his fault, Jackson will transform a couple guys into thuggish, filthy, enforcers.  And I will never forgive him for what he turned Rick Fox into, but that's another story.  Point is, 1 through 12, the Laker players believe themselves to be invincible and play as such.  Ere go, Walton shoots at 70% clip from the field, while Fisher might as well be heaving shots into an ocean.  

The Lakers did what they were suppose to do and held home court.  Now they need to come out in game 3 and match the intensity of the Jazz in the first 5 minutes to deflate that crowd.  If they don't it is going to be a really long game.  The Lakers need to not buy into their own hype and stay focused/hungry.  This team will not roll over like the Nuggets did in game 3 and I hope they realize that.

Blah blah blah blah

Skandery, don't try to use the reverse psychology, jedi-mind trick on us.  That's my move!  

Now I have to counter your statement to re-reverse your jinx.  

Therefore, please note that the series will go 7 and the Lakers will be lucky to get by Utah let alone win a title.

:D

No tricks, msc, honest.  I calls 'em like I sees 'em.  

Just relax and enjoy the ride.  Mua ha ha ha ha ha  ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 01:19:43 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 02:30:06 PM »
IMO the Jazz are going to get away with more grabbing and pulling when they play at home.  

???   ???   ??? 

How much more grabbing and pulling can Utah DO. The LaQueers have already scored 38 more points then the Jazz from the free throw line already, in only TWO games!!

Other than Kobe and Fish, the Lakers have the tendency to not play through that type of game.

Did I not mention 38 made free throws over the Jazz? Who, exactly, is getting nervous nellie knees at the line for the Lakers?

The Lakers are going to have to continue their good ball movement because I feel the Jazz are going to turn the game into a slug fest and bring the game to a grinding halt.  Gasol has been steady but he will really need to step up his game if the Lakers are going to take one of the next two games in Utah.  There is a reason they led the league in fouls and opponents FT attempts, their style of play is rough and they thrive in a slug fest.  I have seen games that let felony assaults go uncalled and I feel one of those games comming on.  I hope the Lakers have matured enough to adjust to that type of game and not focus on the refs/calls and continue to play their game.

I have NEVER seen a team get dominated on the boards like the Lakers are being owned by the Jazz.  The Jazz shooting will get better and you couple that with the number of second chance points and I see the Lakers on the wrong end of a blowout.  I think the Lakers will win this series.
[/quote]

This is the one stat that I just love - Utah attempted <ahem> 33 more field goals then the Lakers last night. They took eight more shots A QUARTER, then the Lakers. But had 27 more free throws MADE!

No.....Utah will have a hard time of it if they can outshoot the Lakers from the field by over thirty attempts, but lose the game at the free throw line. What kind of basketball is this?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 02:34:09 PM »
Although instead of buying into their own hype they buy into the Lakers hype?  The Lakers have a lot of confidence, a lot of weapons, and a coaching staff that is picking teams apart but I still think the Jazz can compete with this bunch. 

Actually, this is not true. The one thing that is fairly obvious is that the Jazz do not match up with the Lakers at all. Honestly, the Kings would be a harder opponent for the Lakers then Utah at this point. The Jazz, for whatever reason, were not put together to compete with the Lakers.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 03:50:43 PM »
Yawn. 

Randy and 'koast, why do you guys constantly get baited by Reality? 

I don't get it; it's been the same old story going back to 2000, "free throw gifts", "ref favoritism", "Sternfish", "arrrghh".  It's so beyond tired it's ridiculous yet time and time again, eight years later, you still chomp at the bait every time.  Aren't you bored of it yet?  I sure am. 
msc ironically i think this was a game the Lakers flat outplayed, earned and were indeed the victims of legit clutching and grabbing by the Jazz.  Once again, you've inspired me.

One Summer, One Game* song to follow.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 05:23:05 PM »
msc ironically i think this was a game the Lakers flat outplayed, earned and were indeed the victims of legit clutching and grabbing by the Jazz.  Once again, you've inspired me.

Whatever, dude. 

I know it's 19-6 FTAs in favor of the Collusionists but are you already giving up Skandery?

This sounds like your same, tired, old schtick to me.