Author Topic: I just can't help my flare for . . .  (Read 5512 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
I just can't help my flare for . . .
« on: May 07, 2008, 10:30:19 PM »
. . . the dramatic prediction. 

Took a break from watching Game 2, 25-15.

So everyone remembers me handing the Superbowl to New England by Week 2 of the regular season.  Suffice to say I've been wrong before but here goes:

After a exactly one night of contemplation after the Gasol trade, I predicted that the Lakers would win the championship.  Not next year.  Not in a couple of years after they've jelled.  Not down the road.  THIS year!  In the playoff prediction thread I had a Lakers v Celtics Final with the Lakers winning the trophy.  I haven't changed my prediction of who will win just the fashion. 

The Lakers will not lose more than 2 games total in the playoffs this year, and won't lose 2 games in a series.  I haven't seen confidence ooze out of bench scum like Ronny Turiaf since Bill Wennington was throwing down dunks 10 years ago.  Utah started the game shooting 5 for 5 and one minute later were down by 13.  Derek Fisher 3 for 3 from 3 in the first 6 minutes of the game, the last time he shot the ball like that, Lakers were in the midst of a dynasty.  With just how weak Boston looks--the Lakers are just going to steamroll people this year.  And I don't see things getting tougher for them for the forseeable future. 

The rest of us can keep cursing the Tale of the Memphis Spaniard for the next half-decade.     
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: I just can't help my flare for . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 11:09:38 PM »
I know it's 19-6 FTAs in favor of the Collusionists but are you already giving up Skandery?
Surely this won't happen in Utah.

Maybe it is inevitible  ;)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 11:13:16 PM »
handing the Superbowl to New England 
inevitable that a last minute touchdown will propel a team over the Lakers?

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 12:14:58 AM »
I know it's 19-6 FTAs in favor of the Collusionists but are you already giving up Skandery?

Umm, Utah leads the league in fouls and opponents foul shots.  Utah averaged 30 free throws by opponents throughout the regular season -- the Lakers averaged 12.

If that's all you have to say about tonights game, your bias is showing.  The Jazz finally came on late in the game but the Lakers made them look horrible in the first half.  The Jazz played much better in the 2nd half but the whole they had to climb out of was just too deep.

I'm sure that the Jazz will play better at home.  The series should improve in Utah.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 12:38:58 AM »
Now Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley are talking about the Lakers winning the next 5 championships.  Freakin' copycats!  TNT should pay me to commentate.

Take the most complete, most dominant team in the playoffs.  Now add Andrew Bynum.   

Maybe it is inevitible

There is no maybe about it.

I'm sure that the Jazz will play better at home.  The series should improve in Utah.

No Randy.  It won't.  By almost every measure, Utah just played two very good games and didn't even sniff a victory.  Unless Boozer/Okur instantaneously become longer, faster, and more athletic than Gasol/Odom, I don't see things changing too much.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 12:42:36 AM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 12:40:37 AM »
IMO the Jazz are going to get away with more grabbing and pulling when they play at home.  Other than Kobe and Fish, the Lakers have the tendency to not play through that type of game.  The Lakers are going to have to continue their good ball movement because I feel the Jazz are going to turn the game into a slug fest and bring the game to a grinding halt.  Gasol has been steady but he will really need to step up his game if the Lakers are going to take one of the next two games in Utah.  There is a reason they led the league in fouls and opponents FT attempts, their style of play is rough and they thrive in a slug fest.  I have seen games that let felony assaults go uncalled and I feel one of those games comming on.  I hope the Lakers have matured enough to adjust to that type of game and not focus on the refs/calls and continue to play their game.

I have NEVER seen a team get dominated on the boards like the Lakers are being owned by the Jazz.  The Jazz shooting will get better and you couple that with the number of second chance points and I see the Lakers on the wrong end of a blowout.  I think the Lakers will win this series.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 12:41:56 AM »
Now Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley are talking about the Lakers winning the next 5 championships.  Freakin' copycats!  TNT should pay me to commentate.

Take the most complete, most dominant team in the playoffs.  Now add Andrew Bynum.   

Maybe it is inevitible

There is no maybe about it.

There is no guarantee that Bynum will ever return as a Laker.  There are a few stories floating around that might have Bynum out next year as well, Andrew is getting 2nd opinions about his injury and how to deal with it.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 08:11:44 AM »
I hear that Bynum will have exploratory surgery to check out and see what is going on with his knee.  I sure hope they can find a way to repair it -- for his own longterm sake.  Knees are tricky -- but there are some great doctors out there.  Everyone questioned whether Amare would ever be the same again.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 11:04:19 AM »

Oh how did I know you would complain about the amount of FGs but then completely ignore the fact that the Jazz give up a lot of fouls/FTs through out the season.  You add that up with the fact that the Lakers are a good interior passing team and faster then the Jazz one could see why the Lakers are shooting a lot of FTs.  If you need any more stats to focus in on how about the shooting % between the two games that shows just how good of looks the Lakers are getting both in the interior and on the perimeter.

Does anyone else feel like the Jazz are doing the opposite of what Boston did in the 1st round, which was buy into hype.  Although instead of buying into their own hype they buy into the Lakers hype?  The Lakers have a lot of confidence, a lot of weapons, and a coaching staff that is picking teams apart but I still think the Jazz can compete with this bunch.  Too bad they don't look like they feel the same way.   I think Carlos Boozer is the most guilty of this.  Not just by his body language on the court and bench during the game but in interviews leading up game 2.  Some of his comments (IMO) sounded shakey and more like wishful thinking then 'we are going in there to rip the fun out of Lakers squad'

And Skandery...of all the bench players to pick on you choose Ronnie to don the 'scum' title?!  I thought for sure people would pick Sasha for that long before Ronnie.  Some of the coaches are bigger jerks then Ronnie is!!

The Lakers did what they were suppose to do and held home court.  Now they need to come out in game 3 and match the intensity of the Jazz in the first 5 minutes to deflate that crowd.  If they don't it is going to be a really long game.  The Lakers need to not buy into their own hype and stay focused/hungry.  This team will not roll over like the Nuggets did in game 3 and I hope they realize that.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 11:09:08 AM »
"We've put them at the line 89 times [in two games]. That's way too many. That was the difference in the game, free throws."  -Jerry Sloan.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 11:12:38 AM »
"We've put them at the line 89 times [in two games]. That's way too many. That was the difference in the game, free throws."  -Jerry Sloan.

Yea shooting 56% from inside the arc and 63% from 3 has nothing to do with that.

Now that you have left the Spurs bandwagon pre mature I wonder if you will now hop on the back of any team who is playing the Lakers.  Actually why wonder... I'd put 100k down on the fact you would.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 11:14:58 AM »

So everyone remembers me handing the Superbowl to New England by Week 2 of the regular season.       
Yes.  So who will be the New York Giants?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 11:20:25 AM »

So everyone remembers me handing the Superbowl to New England by Week 2 of the regular season.       
Yes.  So who will be the New York Giants?

Obviously the Lakers genius...where area is Boston from?  ;)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 11:22:10 AM »
Skandery, don't try to use the reverse psychology, jedi-mind trick on us.  That's my move!  ;)

Now I have to counter your statement to re-reverse your jinx.  

Therefore, please note that the series will go 7 and the Lakers will be lucky to get by Utah let alone win a title.  

Phew, that was a close one.  

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 11:26:01 AM »

Sloan stated before the game that his players can't put their hands on the Lakers -- it's the way they are trying to play defense.  They are known for it -- it's why they lead the league in opponents freethrows attempted.  Sloan isn't blaming the refs -- it's funny that you have to find an excuse.  Anyone who watched the game last night knows that the Lakers beat the Jazz.  Well, anyone with an ounce of basketball knowledge.