Author Topic: What do the Pop Lovers say now?  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
What do the Pop Lovers say now?
« on: May 07, 2008, 02:56:09 PM »
I'm baaaaack.  (Sung to the tune of I'm Back by Aerosmith).

1st off i believe an intervention took place.  Not a Divine one, but some kind of one.  Gone to L.A. for what turned into two days n nights.  Came home and the Cox people had been digging around next door and poof, my entire internet and Cox DVR were nuked, including Gm 2 of the Spurs-Hornets.  So i was spared the entirety.

Tied at the half, the Spurs again get worked in the 3rd qtr by 18 points.  This on the heels of Gm 1 being up 48-39 late 2nd and being down 10 well before the 3rd ended, a 24-6 Hornets run.

Since halftime adjustments are so often rightly reffered to as a good measure of coaching accumen, what do you Lord Poppycock proponents say now?  Other then "4 titles braaak braaak".  Great, have another cracker.  Zero repeats, 7 other years of no title.  Braaak!

Me? His inability to diversify on offense, esp when up 12 in Gm 1. ::) 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: What do the Pop Lovers say now?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 03:09:05 PM »
Did Pop's coaching sprain one of Manu's nose hairs?  Just wondering about Manu's performance in game 2.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 03:18:23 PM »
^^ therin lay a large part of the problem.  Manu obviously off as was Duncan in Gm 1.
WoW
Any thoughts on the 3rd quarter dry spell Randy mentioned?  Pop took out the starters and the bench stopped the Hornets offense, got an 18 point lead down to twelve.  The Hornets looked rattled, the starters come in and the Hornets went off on them again and built up a 16 point lead in just a few minutes.  The point swing was not much but the momentum and pace of the game really changed in favor of the Spurs when the bench was in.
  Here is where Lord Poppy needs to get away from his "duh uh I'll roll out the balls to the Big 3 and defense defense defense is what's gonna protect our leads."  Sometimes its offense and willingness to read on the fly which bench players can and will contribute when a key starter is off due to torn groin muscles and a level 4 ankle sprain.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 03:32:56 PM »
Reality I believe when asked before "What would you do to improve the offense if you were coach of the Spurs" you said you would run more plays for Manu.   Well....looks like your Spurs would have lost by 30 considering running plays for him was not working.

Since this hasn't been asked before, I'll ask it now.  Do you believe Pop had NOTHING to do with any of the rings the Spurs own?  If you don't believe he had anything to do with it then how is any win or loss Pop's fault?  If you do believe he had something to do with them how do you continue to say he sucks?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 04:20:38 PM »
Reality I believe when asked before "What would you do to improve the offense if you were coach of the Spurs" you said you would run more plays for Manu.   Well....looks like your Spurs would have lost by 30 considering running plays for him was not working.
So he is supposed to be on every single game?  When was the timeframe of my answer, what was the context.  Poppy needs to have diversified offensive plans.  Is Kobe on every game?  No.

Since this hasn't been asked before, I'll ask it now.  Do you believe Pop had NOTHING to do with any of the rings the Spurs own?  If you don't believe he had anything to do with it then how is any win or loss Pop's fault?  If you do believe he had something to do with them how do you continue to say he sucks?
  Since I've answered it before, I'll answer it again.  The Spurs under Pops D has been some of the best ever in NBA history.  As WoW noted vs the Hornets, even their D seems gone.
He sucks offensively.  Colonel Sanders-Phil Jackson is aware of his limitations enough to turn over the offense to Tex Winters.  Poppycocks ego will allow no such appointing.  Check out Phils Championship to non ratio.  Comare to Poppycock.  WoW thinks a Colonel Sanders Spurs would have gone 5 straight titles.  Agree?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 04:24:09 PM »
Is Kobe on every game?  No.

Not in scoring, but rebounding and DEFENSE?  YES!  Too bad Manu doesn't play on that side of the court to offset a bad shooting night.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 04:26:01 PM »
Is Kobe on every game?  No.

Not in scoring, but rebounding and DEFENSE?  YES!  Too bad Manu doesn't play on that side of the court to offset a bad shooting night.
Yes watching Lebron fillet Kobe for 40/10 certainly was "on". :D

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 04:30:03 PM »
So he is supposed to be on every single game?  When was the timeframe of my answer, what was the context.  Poppy needs to have diversified offensive plans.  Is Kobe on every game?  No.

Has Kobe been missing 3 games of the playoffs already? No.  He hasn't been missing from any playoff game actually.   If you want to put him on Kobe and Lebron's level he can't be a ghost in back to back playoff games.  Game 2 marks the 3rd playoff game where SuperManu has just been regular.  I am not hating on him.  I am just trying to tell you to chill on the hype and maybe I won't bring it up.

I don't expect him to be on every single game.  Just like you shouldn't expect Pop to be on every single play.

The Spurs under Pops D has been some of the best ever in NBA history.  As WoW noted vs the Hornets, even their D seems gone.
He sucks offensively.  Colonel Sanders-Phil Jackson is aware of his limitations enough to turn over the offense to Tex Winters.  Poppycocks ego will allow no such appointing.  Check out Phils Championship to non ratio.  Comare to Poppycock.  WoW thinks a Colonel Sanders Spurs would have gone 5 straight titles.  Agree?

Maybe I should point out that Parker would not get the same freedom inside the triangle as he does in Pop's system.  You wouldn't see Manu doing whatever he feels like in the 4th quarter if Phil Jackson was his coach either.  Not even Kobe Bryant, who is a better offensive player then Manu, got to do whatever he wanted with out being told to stop.   Tex Winters would be telling them the same exact thing as Pop is.  Run the ball through Duncan and play outside in.  Not vice versa.

There is no such thing as a super defensive team and a super offensive team.  If you want to see the Spurs play offense like the Suns and defense like...well themselves, it's not going to happen.  There is certain things you give up on the defensive end by playing so "open" on the offensive end.  I think focusing in on defense has worked and will continue to work.  

For all the talk that Pop never diversified the offense I think the last series proved you wrong.  Tony Parker was the focus.  In a lot of the 4th quarters Manu is the focus.  This is a far cry from the 2001-2002 days when it was all Duncan.  Let us hear your ideas on how to open up the offense since you want to say how bad he sucks on that end of the floor.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 04:34:47 PM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 04:43:38 PM »
Tex Winters would be telling them the same exact thing as Pop is.  Run the ball through Duncan and play outside in.  Not vice versa.
Dream on.  Tex would have plenty more to say.  Stuff Pop has never run.

There is no such thing as a super defensive team and a super offensive team.  If you want to see the Spurs play offense like the Suns and defense like...well themselves, it's not going to happen.
  To the contrary, in the 2005 playoffs vs Phx this was one time when Poppy must have had a half cup of regular slipped to his decaf.  The Spurs indeed opened up the O while the usual clamp d was put on.  Great hoop!  Some other playoff games here and there.

There is certain things you give up on the defensive end by playing so "open" on the offensive end.  I think focusing in on defense has worked and will continue to work.
Phil and Tex are 8-12 while Poppycock is about to go 4-12.  Using non Laker Math one is much better then the other.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
You know, we have been trying to stear Reality and his little tricycle into oncoming traffic since he latched to our wagon....it's amazing how he manages to not get splattered...we can't seem to shake him.. :-[

We DO try though... :-\
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 10:50:47 AM »
Have you and Cousin Lurker even bought seats for Gm 3 or 4?
Last night the Gm 3 had not even sold out yet, 1000 seats remained. :-[

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 12:45:43 PM »
No, no tickets.  I get a better view at a bar, with easy access to beer.  I like going to games, but being down 2 to N.O. makes me too stressed.  I will be doing shots tonight...yes, shots will be good.

:)
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 01:02:51 PM »

This is hard to believe.  Are there extra seats, or standing room only that they wait to release until the 11th hour? 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 01:06:13 PM »

This is hard to believe.  Are there extra seats, or standing room only that they wait to release until the 11th hour? 

Did you get any playoff tix this year?  How does it work when you have season tickets....can you get tickets for your own seats at a discounted price for the entire playoffs?  Or is it round by round?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 01:21:39 PM »
the cheap seats are all the way up to the ceiling..yuck!!  even though it is a great view, you can get vertigo way up there.  It makes a person feel like one of those mountain goats as narrow as it is for your feet and having to get by people who are to dumb to move out of the way, or too fat to move out of the way.  the game will sell out.  In this town it is NOT uncommon for people to walk up to ANY event and by tickets at the last minute.