Author Topic: SPURS game 2 loss - sigh  (Read 3392 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
SPURS game 2 loss - sigh
« on: May 05, 2008, 10:45:30 PM »
I am just going to post this now to save some time later.  The guys just bought into the hype.  Yes, NO is good, but our squad looks lost against them.  how weak.  I am disappointed how we are playing this series, and embarrassed.  Mind you, this is the third quarter right now. I still don't like that my squad is playing scared.  Tony just drove and it's the first time he has actually looked like himself, too little too late.  Glad to see Pop pull the big three.  a message needed to be sent to our squad.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SPURS game 2 loss - sigh
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 11:02:21 PM »
weak, weak weeezeeeeeaaaaaak!!!   

Great job by N.O.  Pathetic job by S.A.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline atom2030

• AOL Instant Messenger - atom2030
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tomp22000
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 11:55:37 PM »
man, i love the Spurs fans.

I wonder how big the Hornets series lead has to grow until the "they can't do any better and we can't do any worse" talks stop ...
 ;D
You will learn yung-un....

Spurs = Tough Play
Hornets = Cheap Shots

Spurs = Savy
Hornets = Floppers

For the same exact plays.

Well, right now I see a champion being dominated pretty much. I don't give much in a 2-0 lead, since these were must-wins for the Hornets to stand a chance, but it was sure amusing to see HOW the Spurs got their butt kicked in this series so far.

It's not impossible we're closing in on the passing of the torch ...

(as for the "yung-un", guess "daddy" would be more appropriate ...  ;D )
===============================
Felix Skydivers '13
In honor of Felix Baumgartners adventures
... and not just because he's Austrian too

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 02:24:30 AM »
can't argue when you can see how they are playing like a completely different team than from round 1.  i didn't expect both games in n.o., but i expected at least one, and at least not to fold that way.  perhaps some home cooking can help even things up.  but how do they solve the "scared" play when they go back to n.o.?

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 10:10:49 AM »
Actually, it's interesting when you look at the games that SA/NO played this year against each other -- I think the series was even and both sides won by at least 10 points when they played each other. 

I still think Pop needs to make some changes to the starting line-up -- I think he needs to put Manu on CP3.  Bowen needs to guard Peja. 

It will be interesting to see the Spurs on their homecourt -- they have been a very good home team but not nearly as good on the road for some reason (you would expect that more from a younger team than an old team like the Spurs).  I would imagine that they will do better in SA.  They really need a good blowout or two in SA -- it will make this series a lot more interesting.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 10:26:04 AM »
(as for the "yung-un", guess "daddy" would be more appropriate ...  ;D )

I guess you missed the ENTIRE point of my post.  Stay around and you might start learning yung-un.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 10:43:03 AM »
The problem is the Spurs are growing old right before our eyes.  Durring the regular season the Hornets have been +20 in their wins and the Spurs have been +10.  The reason for the decisive victories has been that the teams cannot play each other style.  Someone made that statement on TV yesterday and it seems to be true.  Whichever team can dictage the style and tempo wins easily.  Play fast and the Hornets win, play slow and the Spurs win.  I have seen the Spurs make terrific adjustments slowing down a fast team, like they did last years against the Suns, crowd the outlet, slow down the PG, just get in the way of a smooth running machine and the Spurs have a shot.  It does not look good for the Spurs, they have never comeback down 2-0 to win a series and the Hornets have HC advantage.

It will be very interesting to see the heart of a Spurs champion, they have not repeated and it looks very unlikely now.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 11:03:02 AM »
The problem is the Spurs are growing old right before our eyes.  Durring the regular season the Hornets have been +20 in their wins and the Spurs have been +10.  The reason for the decisive victories has been that the teams cannot play each other style.  Someone made that statement on TV yesterday and it seems to be true.  Whichever team can dictage the style and tempo wins easily.  Play fast and the Hornets win, play slow and the Spurs win.  I have seen the Spurs make terrific adjustments slowing down a fast team, like they did last years against the Suns, crowd the outlet, slow down the PG, just get in the way of a smooth running machine and the Spurs have a shot.  It does not look good for the Spurs, they have never comeback down 2-0 to win a series and the Hornets have HC advantage.

It will be very interesting to see the heart of a Spurs champion, they have not repeated and it looks very unlikely now.

I haven't seen that look on TD's face since the Lakers came back and beat them after being down 0-2.  It's definately not the face you want to see on your unstoppable leader.  I liked what Parker had to say after the game -- hey, they held homecourt -- that's what they are supposed to do -- now it's time to go home and play on our court and we are tough to beat there.  Both TD and Manu had that whipped look on their face -- that's not what you want to see out of your leaders.

I am interested to see some of the adjustments that Pop makes -- I didn't see a lot of adjustments from game #1 -- perhaps he thought game #1 was a fluke.  The Hornets are taking away Parkers driving game and are daring him to shoot from the outside (something he isn't good at). 

Also, did anyone else see the Spurs playing ZONE last night?  I was like -- what are they doing?

NO is a very young team -- it will be interesting to see how the role players play on the road.

Oh, I guess we should all assume that Manu was hurt last night -- that seems to be the standard response when he has such a bad game.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 12:08:26 PM »
If I was Greg Popavich I think game 1 is a fluke too.  I make a few minor adjustments but I don't completely switch up what has worked for the past 4 seasons.  You can't really fault Pop for thinking game 1 was a fluke when Duncan is in single digits for points and rebounds.  That hasn't happened...ever.

The Spurs are "old" is kind of getting old itself.  It is really funny to bring up as a joke but I don't think that is the real problem.   The reason why I say that is Tony Parker and Manu are not "old".  Bowen and Horry are but they are not the star players of this team.  Duncan is getting up there but he is not Shaq.   There is no excuse for Tony Parker to look old (and I thought he did in the second half).  I think all the pressure is on Tony Parker to step up.  The way the Spurs use to get beat is by sending hard doubles at Tim, like NO is doing, then forcing other guys to make shots.  That really hasn't worked in the last few years because of Tony Parker's jumper and Manu's slashing.  Why Tony Parker's legs look they've been replaced with Sam Cassell's...I dunno.  No excuse for some of those missed shots.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 12:16:08 PM »
I actually use the whole "old" thing as a joke -- that's not the problem in this series.  I think the real problem is that the Spurs are trying to run with the Hornets -- and it's something they don't do as well.  Also, the Spurs have relied too much on Tony Parkers drive and dish to create offense and it's not working for the Spurs because they are keeping Tony out of the paint.  Then they are closing on the Spurs shooters who are used to having a lot more room to operate and it's causing them to shoot to fast or not shoot at all. 

The Spurs need to focus on slowing down the game and getting into a halfcourt rhythm. 

Of course, my observations on these things are from a smug and haughty know-it-all attitude.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 12:40:20 PM »
I actually use the whole "old" thing as a joke -- that's not the problem in this series.  I think the real problem is that the Spurs are trying to run with the Hornets -- and it's something they don't do as well.  Also, the Spurs have relied too much on Tony Parkers drive and dish to create offense and it's not working for the Spurs because they are keeping Tony out of the paint.  Then they are closing on the Spurs shooters who are used to having a lot more room to operate and it's causing them to shoot to fast or not shoot at all. 

The Spurs need to focus on slowing down the game and getting into a halfcourt rhythm. 

Good post...actually includes some analysis.

I have to agfree that the Spurs don't look in rhythm...or at least not for anywhere close to 48 minutes.  Also these teams seem to be very evenly matched for the most part and who ever controls the tempo seems to control the game.  IMO the Spurs have basically controlled both first halves and the Hornets both second halves.

Of course, my observations on these things are from a smug and haughty know-it-all attitude.

Normally yes...but this post was so out of character.    ;)
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 01:00:59 PM »
Lurker,

I wrote far more in another thread and you just ignored it -- and instead seemed to jump on others threads to offer antagonism. 

I would agree with you to some degree -- I think the Spurs played more of their game in the first half of both the first two games but they were only up marginally, I believe (I know that was the case last night -- I think it was the case in the first game as well).  I don't believe that the Hornets can contain the Spurs if they play their game.  I do believe that the Spurs have formed some bad habits, if you care to discuss them:

1)  They seemed to have developed the "switch mentality"
2)  They have gotten too use to Tony Parker and Manu driving down the lane and getting shooters easy looks.
3)  They aren't passing the ball as well as they used to because they seem to be waiting for #2 to happen.
4)  I don't like Pop's defensive match-ups at all.  Bowen vs. CP3 simply isn't working -- in fact, it seems to bring out the very BEST CP3 has to offer.  I would put Manu -- or even better -- start Udoka at SG instead of Finley.  Udoka was one of the few Spurs players last night who looked like he wasn't whipped.
5)  The Spurs REALLY need to spread the floor better -- they are daring the Spurs shooters to shoot and then running at them.  It has the Spurs shooters off-balanced and this is exactly what the Lakers did to the Spurs in the past.  The Spurs shooters are used to wide open looks but they still need to shoot the ball. 
6)  The Spurs defense actually provided quite a few stops last night -- the offense couldn't get it going.  There was one stretch in the third quarter that I don't think that either team scored for a couple of minutes (at least it seemed that way) but the Hornets gained confidence by their defensive stops and it seemed like the Spurs just got frustrated with their inability to score.
7)  Manu is a great player but sometimes he is the Spurs worst player on the court -- last night was a good example.  He kept trying to do too much -- he overdribbles -- tries to take it all on himself and we all know he's not Kobe (THAT was a joke -- because this is also Kobe's worst trait).  Manu needs to learn that the Spurs need TD to take over the game -- not Manu.  Again, the problem is that the Spurs have done that quite a bit this year -- depended on Manu or Parker to get everyone easy looks.  It's time to let TD start doing that.
8)  TD HAS to be more active on the floor -- you know what stats have bothered me the most about TD -- it's not his shooting stats -- it's his rebounding and block shots stats that surprise me the most.  He averaged almost 14 boards in the Phoenix series and almost 2.5 blocks.  In the first game, TD had 3 rebounds and then had 8 last night.  He has averaged 1 block shot in this series.  He has to be more active on the defensive end.  I was kidding you about the Spurs being old but TD has been playing the last two games as if he believes it -- at least from what I have seen.  He HAS to be more active!  Chandler has actually OUTPLAYED TD in the first two games.  Not on the offensive end of the court, obviously -- but at the defensive end.  He seems to be everywhere.  Take a look at Chandler's stats and you will see that he is giving the same stats he brought in the first series against Dallas -- but look at TD -- his stats have dropped a great deal.

It's time for Pop to make some adjustments -- I think Pop just thought game #1 was a fluke -- with the exception of running a zone defense in the 2nd half -- I really didn't see any adjustments.  It's time for Pop to get make an adjustment and get some easier looks for TD. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 01:09:04 PM »
It's scary for a Spurs fan to see the Spurs fall into a zone after being such a consistent defensive force.

Any thoughts on the 3rd quarter dry spell Randy mentioned?  Pop took out the starters and the bench stopped the Hornets offense, got an 18 point lead down to twelve.  The Hornets looked rattled, the starters come in and the Hornets went off on them again and built up a 16 point lead in just a few minutes.  The point swing was not much but the momentum and pace of the game really changed in favor of the Spurs when the bench was in.

I like Pop's response to that bench issue, he was asked if he was sending a message to his starters, he just laughed and said he was trying to win the game.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 01:27:52 PM »
Speaking of that -- have you EVER heard any dumber questions than those posed to Pop last night?  I don't know who the interviewers were but my son's High School Television crew could have asked better questions than that. 

They were like

"you just got beat by ____ points -- what is your reaction?"  Umm, what do you want me to say -- I'm happy?

"Do you plan to do anything different in game #3" -- Umm, yes, I plan to win game #3.  (what did they want him to do -- spell out his adjustments so that the Hornets can make adjustments to his adjustments ahead of time?

Stupid questions!

As to the other, I think Udoka came out and played like he wasn't whipped -- did you see the look on TD and Manu's face?  You can't look like you've already lost the series in the 3rd quarter -- you have to determine to find a way to take the game. 

I think Barry and Udoka need more playing time, IMO.  The Spurs need Barry to knock down some outside shots, the Hornets are packing the lane and daring the Spurs to shoot and then running at the shooter.  The answer to that is to knock down some open shots -- then they have to respond.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 01:34:43 PM »
^^I missed it last night, but watching Pop's post game news conferences is my second favorite basketball related viewing.  His deadpan answers to stupid media questions are classic.  He just completely messes with them, but his answers are always consise and perfect.  I love that guy. 

Didn't get to see either game so I can't add any analysis.  I'm not necessarily surprised the Hornets won both, but I am surprised by the margin. 

I expect SA to protect home and go back to NO for a 3 game series.