Author Topic: Wow...still no threads about Kobe getting the MVP?  (Read 16670 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wow...still no threads about Kobe getting the MVP?
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2008, 09:45:19 PM »
Enjoy your one little victory in this arena WOW, you shan't have another, stick to basketball, where your marginal knowledge is at least somewaht entertaining, because when it comes to debate on this subject, you are unarmed, truly a mental midget among intellectual giants.

A contraction of shall not Lurker, pity you could not even get that right. A less than 2 line sentence with punctuation and you call it a run on? What do they teach you boys down in Texas?

I was taught that you put a comma between the statement and the name of the person being addressed (shall not, Lurker).     ;)

Also I was taught that the length of the sentence doesn't determine whether it is a run-on sentence or not.  Rather it is the number of phrases and their relation to each other as well as the continuity of thought transmitted.  As it appears that you are trying to slap down another poster, comment on their marginal basketball knowledge and berate their ability to debate; I would say that your statement contained too many different topics for one sentence.

Actually, all topics within the scope of the sentence were germane to one another relative to the subject matter, so comma's and semi-colon's were really all that was necessary for the flow and continuity of the sentence to be correctly structured. However, I could have used a semi-colon rather than a comma between "another" and "stick", as it is a hard pause to introduce another point within the scope of the sentence. I also misspelled somewhat, I can't believe you missed it.

As far as "shan't" being akin to "ain't", I could not disagree more, "shan't" is a legitimate contraction of 2 words, "ain't" is no such thing, it is an abhorrent non-word used by common people who choose to continue mired in the commonplace, therefore, your point holds no value. Your describing it as a colloquialism carries more weight, only in that in the lost art of the English language, such a beautifully artistic contraction has fallen into disuse on this side of the pond, it is not the case conversely. It is however, hardly an incorrect contraction, it is completely proper.

You do have me dead to rights on neglecting to place a comma between the statement and the proper name addressee, I stand humbled before your discerning eye.

Thank you for the compliments.  I have enjoyed our discussion even though Ko**, La****, Sp***, Ma** and other topics were not involved.

On the use of shan't, I discussed this with my wife and a few friends.  They agree with you that it is a proper contraction which has fallen into disuse.  So either I remember incorrectly from 40+ years ago (VERY LIKELY) or I had a teacher who had their own predjudice (I like this excuse). 

And we probably will have to agree to disagree about the run-on sentence.  I would have probably used two sentences as such, including the use of the semicolon as you pointed out.

"Enjoy your one little victory in this arena WOW, you shan't have another; stick to basketball where your marginal knowledge is at least somewaht (sic) entertaining.  Because when it comes to debate on this subject, you are unarmed, truly a mental midget among intellectual giants."

Thanks for the thought provoking exchange.  It was fun.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2008, 10:38:52 PM »

Grammar and spelling is thought provoking?  I guess reading a map is as well.  Did we not have the lower form of thinking discussion already?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2008, 08:59:25 AM »

Grammar and spelling is thought provoking?  I guess reading a map is as well.  Did we not have the lower form of thinking discussion already?

A whole lot more thought provoking than this:
Technical Consultant = "Next -> Next -> Next -> Next -> Finish" 

You wouldn't know an octet if it jumped up and bit you on your subnet.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2008, 09:12:35 AM »

Exactly, that is why I am giving wk a hard time about his "skilz".  Is the new Thomas Guide out yet?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2008, 11:23:39 AM »

Exactly, that is why I am giving wk a hard time about his "skilz".  Is the new Thomas Guide out yet?

Of course code monkeys think their job is so much harder then everyone elses.  Speaking in a language an engineer can understand is much harder then writing in C#.  Don't toot your own horn there too much Miguel there are jr high school students that can program in C#  ;)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2008, 12:25:41 PM »

Of course code monkeys think their job is so much harder then everyone elses.  Speaking in a language an engineer can understand is much harder then writing in C#.  Don't toot your own horn there too much Miguel there are jr high school students that can program in C#  ;)

"Speaking in a language an engineer can understand is much harder then writing in C#.  Don't toot your own horn there too much Miguel there are jr high school students that can program in C#"

Speaking in a lanuguage an Indian engineer can understand will soon be the work of Indian HS students as well. Welcome to globalization, and good luck with that.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2008, 12:27:11 PM »

"Speaking in a language an engineer can understand is much harder then writing in C#.  Don't toot your own horn there too much Miguel there are jr high school students that can program in C#"

Speaking in a lanuguage an Indian engineer can understand will soon be the work of Indian HS students as well. Welcome to globalization, and good luck with that.

I'd be worried about that if I wasn't dealing with local government agencies who cannot outsource work like that.  That is not the case though.  I appreciate you wanting to wish me luck but maybe you should save it for the next time you fall down bean counter.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 12:28:48 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2008, 01:09:09 PM »

I speak engineer, electrician, operator, accountant, auditor and spread sheet jockey managers.  Speaking "engineer" is a given, translating "engineer speak" into ROI is the trick.  Please continue to make sure the network doesn't go down, I need my internet access.  If you run into any problems call my 15 year old, she will walk you through resetting your router.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2008, 02:10:39 PM »

I'd be worried about that if I wasn't dealing with local government agencies who cannot outsource work like that.  That is not the case though.  I appreciate you wanting to wish me luck but maybe you should save it for the next time you fall down bean counter.

Not a very friendly response to a sincere concern for your future well-being.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2008, 02:18:14 PM »

I speak engineer, electrician, operator, accountant, auditor and spread sheet jockey managers.  Speaking "engineer" is a given, translating "engineer speak" into ROI is the trick.  Please continue to make sure the network doesn't go down, I need my internet access.  If you run into any problems call my 15 year old, she will walk you through resetting your router.

Networking is not something I do on a regular basis and not something a technical consultant would come in and do.  Although at times that does come up.  I don't expect JoMal to know what an electronic document management system is but I would hope you would.  Pretty disapointed in you WOW.  Maybe if you didn't waste so much of your brain being a basketball genius you would have space in there for other things.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2008, 02:32:58 PM »
Somehow this thread still has something to do with Kobe getting MVP, right?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 02:37:54 PM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2008, 02:39:07 PM »
I don't expect JoMal to know what an electronic document management system is but I would hope you would.  Pretty disapointed in you WOW.

"Electronic Document Management Systems"?  Do you mean "Save" and "Save As..."?  Kind of like calling a garbage man a sanitation engineer.....  ::)  Please wk, stop before you get hurt.

Maybe if you didn't waste so much of your brain being a basketball genius you would have space in there for other things.

I sincerly apologize for being a single tasking genius on this board.  You must keep in mind I am in constant communication with Lord Sternfish in regards to this years NBA season so I can only devote about .00000001% of my brain power to owning you and Laker Fan.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2008, 02:41:34 PM »
Somehow this thread still has something to do with Kobe getting MVP, right?

Stop wasting time pendejo!  Do something usefull like getting TD and Manu some super tear absorbant tissue paper.  FYI, the dairy industry is hitting hard times in SA becuase somebody had their money taken.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2008, 02:48:35 PM »
I don't expect JoMal to know what an electronic document management system is but I would hope you would.  Pretty disapointed in you WOW.

"Electronic Document Management Systems"?  Do you mean "Save" and "Save As..."?  Kind of like calling a garbage man a sanitation engineer.....  ::)  Please wk, stop before you get hurt.

You speak engineer but have no idea the types of files and applications they use?  I'm not talking about just Microsoft Office and Word documents joto, I am talking MicroStation and 3D CADD drawings. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 02:50:40 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2008, 02:53:56 PM »
You speak engineer but have no idea the types of files and applications they use?  I'm not talking about just Microsoft Office and Word documents joto, I am talking MicroStation and 3D CADD drawings. 

Last I checked both those apps have a "Save" button.  ::)  Try Volo View, it "saves" a lot faster.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"