Author Topic: Bob Horry, Hall of Famer  (Read 8081 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bob Horry, Hall of Famer
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 11:22:07 AM »
If Drazen gets in for being the first major Euro player that led to the influx of overseas players then I think Robert Horry can get in for being of the greatest role players of all time.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 11:36:40 AM »
I don't think Bob cares if he gets in or not.  He has got more rings than each of those big men that he played with and more than a good number of the guys in the hall right now.   8)
Yep.  Like the Media Valuable Player award.  I'm sure Tim Dunks knows he is truly the best player.  Much better to conclude the year with (another) ring. 
If Bob had to choose between ring 8 and HOF I'm guessing he wants ring 8.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 11:37:37 AM »
It's really funny that you are suddenly a huge Horry fan -- would have never happened if he still played in LA.
Horry had not accomplished as much by the time he removed himself from L.A.  Read the stats again. It's Bobs cumulative stats and momentum making plays that astound.  Much moreso then the players you mentioned, even SuperStevie Kerr.

Horry's greatest feats were pre-Spurs.  He already had a good rep before he joined the Lakers.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 11:47:18 AM »
Horry's greatest feats were pre-Spurs. 
:D  Many are voting Bobs game winning three pointer to put the Spurs up 3-2 over Detroit was his best ever.  (Assist from GNob  ;) )  My favorite that game was Bobs taking off on the drive from the side arc, leaping just a step inside the FT line and doing a flying left handed dunk.  ;D

He already had a good rep before he joined the Lakers.
Agree.  That's what makes his cumulative so impressive.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 11:53:27 AM »
Horry's greatest feats were pre-Spurs. 
:D  Many are voting Bobs game winning three pointer to put the Spurs up 3-2 over Detroit was his best ever.  (Assist from GNob  ;) )  My favorite that game was Bobs taking off on the drive from the side arc, leaping just a step inside the FT line and doing a flying left handed dunk.  ;D

He already had a good rep before he joined the Lakers.
Agree.  That's what makes his cumulative so impressive.

Ask any fan what was Big Shot Robs greatest shot and you'll get a different response, especially from Kings fans.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 12:01:19 PM »
How much of Drazen getting into the league had to do with his early tragic death.  This guy WAS a baller -- what would have happened had he had a typical career in years?  We will never know.  I think this type of installation is more of a sympathy decision than a rational one.  Such will not be the case for Horry.  However, you are comparing Horry to a guy who could REALLY shoot the basketball -- I know he shot over 50% from the field and I think he was around 45% from the arch.  That is shooting the ball -- I LOVED to watch this guy shoot -- his touch was just beautiful to watch.  This guy WAS a star when he played -- however, I don't think he belonged in the HOF -- of course, there are a TON of guys in the HOF who shouldn't be ther.

Horry STILL doesn't belong in the HOF.

Horry already made his case by the time he left LA.  He hasn't done nearly as much in SA as he did in Houston and LA.  Your anti-Laker rhetoric is blinding you from rational thought.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 12:34:35 PM »
Drazen......However, you are comparing Horry to a guy who could REALLY shoot the basketball -- I know he shot over 50% from the field and I think he was around 45% from the arch.  That is shooting the ball -- I LOVED to watch this guy shoot -- his touch was just beautiful to watch.  This guy WAS a star when he played -- however, I don't think he belonged in the HOF -- of course, there are a TON of guys in the HOF who shouldn't be ther.
So he shot the ball at 60% fga.  Great.  Defense, tipped passes, playoff game stats?

Horry already made his case by the time he left LA.  He hasn't done nearly as much in SA as he did in Houston and LA.  Your anti-Laker rhetoric is blinding you from rational thought.
Randy, lets test your brainwashing:
What has Horry done in SanAn?

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 01:30:57 PM »
Drazen......However, you are comparing Horry to a guy who could REALLY shoot the basketball -- I know he shot over 50% from the field and I think he was around 45% from the arch.  That is shooting the ball -- I LOVED to watch this guy shoot -- his touch was just beautiful to watch.  This guy WAS a star when he played -- however, I don't think he belonged in the HOF -- of course, there are a TON of guys in the HOF who shouldn't be ther.
So he shot the ball at 60% fga.  Great.  Defense, tipped passes, playoff game stats?

Why are you even asking me that -- Drazen Petrovic WAS a star in this league -- Horry has never been.  I have already stated that I don't believe that Petrovic should have been nominated into the HOF -- I believe that decision had everything to do with sentimentality over his tragic death that robbed him of a tremendous career.  However, Horry has NEVER been a star in this league -- at least Petrovic was during his brief tenure in the league.

Randy, lets test your brainwashing:
What has Horry done in SanAn?

Far less than he did to help Houston and LA win their championships.  Horry played a vital role in garnering the championships in Houston and LA.  In Houston, his range helped spread the floor and in LA he learned to play defense at the PF position.  He did a fantastic job against TD although I'm sure you don't remember that.  However, in Houston and LA, Horry was either a starter or he came in immediately off the bench -- he hasn't had that role in SA.  He has made some great plays but the same could be said of other role players off the bench.  He hasn't had to play the same vital role in SA that he did in Houston and LA.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 01:46:47 PM »
Far less than he did to help Houston and LA win their championships.  Horry played a vital role in garnering the championships in Houston and LA.  In Houston, his range helped spread the floor and in LA he learned to play defense at the PF position.  He did a fantastic job against TD although I'm sure you don't remember that.  However, in Houston and LA, Horry was either a starter or he came in immediately off the bench -- he hasn't had that role in SA.  He has made some great plays but the same could be said of other role players off the bench.  He hasn't had to play the same vital role in SA that he did in Houston and LA.
When in doubt, fabricate?
Bobs minutes played in Championship years.
618 LAL '00
382 LAL '01

619 SAS '05
361 SAS '07
1000 in LA
980 in San Antone

Houston he did play a bit more, not all that much.
778 Hou '94
841 Hou '95

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 02:38:18 PM »
When in doubt, fabricate?
Bobs minutes played in Championship years.
618 LAL '00
382 LAL '01

619 SAS '05
361 SAS '07
1000 in LA
980 in San Antone

Houston he did play a bit more, not all that much.
778 Hou '94
841 Hou '95

Yep, fabricate is what you do best -- trying to find some stats that make your point for you.  One of the years you quoted, Horry was hurt most of the year -- it's why he played so few minutes.

Here is a better look -- see if even YOU can't tell the difference:
  Houston: (min. per game each year):  30, 29, 32, 37
  LA:  30, 30, 20 (this is the injured year you quoted), 22, 20, 26, 29
  Spurs:  16, 19, 19, 16, 13

In Houston, he averaged 32 minutes a game.
In Los Angeles, he averaged 25 minutes per game.
In San Antonio, he's averaged 15 minutes a game.

Don't see the difference here, huh?  I laugh at the way you twist things around.  In SA, Horry has never averaged 20 minutes a game -- in LA, he never averaged less than that.  Keep spinning and twisting -- I'd say it was a nice try to make your point look better but it really wasn't.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 02:43:08 PM »
Don't see the difference here, huh?  I laugh at the way you twist things around.  In SA, Horry has never averaged 20 minutes a game -- in LA, he never averaged less than that.  Keep spinning and twisting -- I'd say it was a nice try to make your point look better but it really wasn't.

I didn't even have to look it up to know it was BS.  Figured a few people would catch his twisting attempt.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 03:37:10 PM »
Technically, he didn't fabricate or lie.  He was just dishonest.  Those were playoff minutes he listed, not regular season minute.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 03:56:51 PM »
Where do you find playoff minutes for a player?

Yeah, dishonesty with a Reality spin -- he choose one year when Horry was hurt so his comparison would look better. 

There isn't a person out there on this planet who likes Robert Horry more than I do -- he is one of my favorite players and I was glad that he got the opportunity to be closer to his family even if he did go to play for the Spurs.  But even though I like him a lot, he doesn't belong in the HOF.  Neither does Horace Grant, AC Green and all the other role players who I really liked.  Those guys also had a major impact in the Lakers winning titles but they still don't belong in the HOF.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 04:07:57 PM »
Where do you find playoff minutes for a player?

Yeah, dishonesty with a Reality spin -- he choose one year when Horry was hurt so his comparison would look better. 

There isn't a person out there on this planet who likes Robert Horry more than I do -- he is one of my favorite players and I was glad that he got the opportunity to be closer to his family even if he did go to play for the Spurs.  But even though I like him a lot, he doesn't belong in the HOF.  Neither does Horace Grant, AC Green and all the other role players who I really liked.  Those guys also had a major impact in the Lakers winning titles but they still don't belong in the HOF.

What about Micheal Cooper?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 04:12:47 PM »
Technically, he didn't fabricate or lie.  He was just dishonest.  Those were playoff minutes he listed, not regular season minute.
Excuse me?!  How was i dishonest?
Playoff minutes all the way.  Stated as such.