Author Topic: Bob Horry, Hall of Famer  (Read 8066 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Bob Horry, Hall of Famer
« on: May 03, 2008, 05:42:06 PM »
As we wait and see if Robert Horry contributes to an 8th NBA title, lets look at what Bob has already accomplished.
Argue as you wish, but Bob Horry is a HOFer.  Any of the numbers below could be used, i bolded the most pertinent ones (to me).

Robert Horry: By the Numbers

2. Horry has played in 234 playoff games in his career to date. He ranks second on the NBA?s all time lists for most playoff games played behind only the great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (237). Teams Horry has played on have also never been knocked out of the first round of the playoffs.

2a. John Salley and Robert Horry are the only two players in NBA history to win an NBA championship with three different teams.

4. Ron Harper, Steve Kerr, Dennis Rodman, and Robert Horry are the only players in NBA history to win multiple NBA championships with different teams. Horry, one of only four players in NBA history to win multiple titles with multiple teams, was able to win more than one championship on each of his stops, in San Antonio (?05, ?07), L.A. (?00, ?01, ?02), and Houston (?94, ?95).

4a. Horry has made four game winning three pointers in the playoffs in his illustrious NBA career. The man known for his clutch play down the stretch has been able to directly win games on four different occasions. His most recent NBA Finals ?moment? came when Manu Ginobili passed to Horry with 5.9 seconds remaining in game five of the 2005 NBA Finals for the game winning three. The three, and subsequent win put the Spurs ahead 3-2 in the series they would go on to win in seven games. Horry was also able to help the Lakers into the 2002 finals when he hit a three pointer at the buzzer to beat Sacramento in the equalizing game four.

6. *The NBA?s top 10 list for active playoff leaders features Horry?s name in 6 different categories. Horry ranks ninth for points (1,916), fourth for rebounds (1,329), seventh for assists (567), fifth for blocks (220), and second in minutes played with 6,669. The numbers show Horry?s trips to the playoffs have been qualitative as well as quantitative.

7. Horry leads all active players with seven NBA championships under his belt. Horry won his first title in 1994 with the Houston Rockets. Horry won two championships with Houston, and has won multiple titles with each team he has spent at least a full season with. He won two championships in his four years in Houston, three in his seven year stay in L.A., and his most recent two coming in his first four years with the Spurs.

8. After his seventh NBA championship in 2007 Horry became one of just eight players in the history of the NBA to win seven or more championships. All of the other players on the list with Horry are former Boston Celtics who dominated the 60?s.

16. Through 16 years of playing professional basketball and three different organizations, Horry has never missed the playoffs. Horry has also never been knocked out of the first round of the playoffs in any of his 16 consecutive trips.

56. Know as a deadly long range shooter, Horry holds the record for three pointers made in the NBA Finals with 56 long range daggers to date on the biggest stage.

67. Ninth* on the Spurs career all time lists for playoff games played Horry has played in 67 playoff games with the Spurs to date.

67a. Throughout his five seasons with San Antonio Horry has amassed 67 three point field goals in the playoffs. His 67 threes rank fourth* on the Spur?s all time list for playoff three pointers made. As it currently stands Horry is behind Sean Elliott (73), Manu Ginobili (132), and Bruce Bowen (134).

*Prior to the 2008 Playoffs.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/horry_btn_08.html

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
By the numbers it is...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 08:04:30 PM »
Robert Horry's career numbers:
24.3 MPG, 42.5 FG%, 34.1 3P%, 72.6 FT%, 4.8 RPG, 2.1 AST, 1.2 TO, 1.1 STL, 0.9 BLK. 7.0 PPG

Robert Horry's best year (1995-96) IMO:
37.1 MPG, 41.0 FG%, 36.6 3P%, 77.6 FT%, 5.8 RPG, 4.0 AST, 2.3 TO, 1.6 STL, 1.5 BLK, 12.0 PPG

Robert Horry's playoff career numbers:
30.7 MPG, 43.2 FG%, 71.8 FT%, 36.3 3P%, 6.1 RPG, 2.7 AST, 1.3 TO, 1.3 STL, 0.9 BLK, 9.0 PPG

Factoids:
He's a 6'10" forward who could never average more than 7.5 rebounds per game.
He missed 287 regular season games in his career--meaning he missed roughly 1 in 5 (FYI that's just a little better than Mr. Durability himself, Shaquille O'Neal).
Superior players with whom Robert Horry won NBA titles: Hakeem Olajuwon, Sam Cassell, Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker

One particular player whose career stats compare favorably with Big Shot Bob has done the following:
28.1 MPG, 48.2 FG%, 33.5 3P%, 75.3 FT%, 5.4 RPG, 1.5 AST, 1.6 TO, 0.8 STL, 0.2 BLK, 12.2 PPG

Lady's and gentlemen, one of my favorite players . . . Matt Harpring!

The Hall of Fame is NOT for role players. No matter how many wide open shots he gets in crunch time because he plays with true Hall of Famers.

Horry is a good player with special skills in clutch situations. But he had to have true Hall of Famers around him to put him in those situations. I'll tell you what Robert Horry is: one of THE most fortunate professional basketball players in the history of the game.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bob Horry, Hall of Famer
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 12:56:02 PM »
Wow I'm a huge Horry fan but that was a nice rebuttal Ted.  However lesser playoff performers have got in. 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 01:21:05 PM »
Wow I'm a huge Horry fan but that was a nice rebuttal Ted.  However lesser playoff performers have got in. 

Care to name them?  IMO Horry does not belong in the HOF. 

« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 01:22:58 PM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 01:25:02 PM »

I'm curious about who you're talking about. I can't think of anyone else who scored 9 points and 6 rebounds a game who made the hall. But then again, I don't know every name in the hall.

Robert Horry's numbers, both regular season and playoff, are quite pedestrian. Here is the one fact that stands out most about his career: He played with Hakeem Olajuwon, Shaquille O'Neal, and Tim Duncan in their primes. That's 3 of the top 10 big men OF ALL TIME. Horry gets way too much credit for his championships. His skill set is closer to Toni Kukoc than to a real hall of famer.

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 07:49:04 PM »
Ted, i suppose you and WoW are just going to gloss over HOFer Bob Davies?
13 pts 4.4 assists career playoffs.

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=DAVIEBO01

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 08:10:06 PM »
Did you honestly just bring up some dude from the 40's?  Talk about different era's?

but, if you want to:
- Bob Davies was an all-star 4 of his 7 seasons in the league.  Bob Horry an all-star 0 of his 16.
- Bob Davies averaged 14 ppg and 5 apg for his career.  Robert Horry 7 points and 4.8 rebounds
- Bob Davies was 5th in the league in scoring in 1951-1952.  I don't recall, but I don't think Horry has ever been top 5 in the league in scoring.
- Bob Davies was 3rd in the league in assists in 1951-1952.  Has Bob Horry ever been top 5 in the league in points and rebounds/or assists in the same season?
- Bob Davies led the league in assists in 1948-1949.  Has Robert Horry ever lead the league in anything?

See, Reality, the point of me bringing this up is, there's this little thing called pace.  When looking at stats from other eras, it has to be taken into context.  The #'s Bob Davies put up were amongst the best in the league at that time, and that's why he's in the hall.  So not only is 13 pts and 4.4 career playoff averages better on the surface than big shot bob's 8 pts and 5.7 rebounds, when you taken it into context, it simply blows it away.

If Horry is a hall of famer, they should just get rid of the hall alltogether.

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 11:05:06 PM »

Well, now we know why it took so long for Reality to reply to my post. I was waiting and waiting all day. Reality never waits that long to respond to a rebuttal. NEVER.

You must have been digging for that one all day, Reality. I hope it was worth your Sunday.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 11:46:44 PM »

Well, now we know why it took so long for Reality to reply to my post. I was waiting and waiting all day. Reality never waits that long to respond to a rebuttal. NEVER.
It did take me about 2 minutes to google him. 

Ted
You must have been digging for that one all day, Reality. I hope it was worth your Sunday.
It was  ;)
Ted
I was waiting and waiting all day.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 12:30:21 AM »
It's really funny that you are suddenly a huge Horry fan -- would have never happened if he still played in LA.

Horry doesn't belong in the HOF -- the HOF has already been watered down enough -- it doesn't need more.  Horry has been a important role player in the likes of Horace Grant, Ron Harper, Steve Kerr -- none of these players, including Horry, deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.  Teams recognize Horry's contribution as a great role player -- but you don't put role players in the Hall of Fame.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 08:57:53 AM »
Here is the one fact that stands out most about his career: He played with Hakeem Olajuwon, Shaquille O'Neal, and Tim Duncan in their primes. That's 3 of the top 10 big men OF ALL TIME. Horry gets way too much credit for his championships. His skill set is closer to Toni Kukoc than to a real hall of famer.

While I agree Horry is not a HOFer, your assesment of his contributions and what has defined his carreer are so off that I cannot believe you are a fan of the NBA.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 09:23:55 AM »
His skill set is closer to Toni Kukoc than to a real hall of famer.

This is a ridiculous statement -- 1) Toni Kukoc NEVER played defense -- Horry has proven himself as a savvy defender; 2) Toni Kukoc had a couple of good years and couldn't get it done without MJ no matter where he played -- the same can't be said about Horry -- who has done well as a role player everywhere he went; 3) Toni had what, one year in the sun -- the rest of his years were under a rock -- Horry has been important in almost every championship series he has played in -- you can't say that about Toni.

Horry doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame but comparing him to Kukoc or Harpring is ridiculous.  It would be like comparing Carlos Boozer to Fabricio Oberto.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 10:49:32 AM »
It's really funny that you are suddenly a huge Horry fan -- would have never happened if he still played in LA.
Horry had not accomplished as much by the time he removed himself from L.A.  Read the stats again. It's Bobs cumulative stats and momentum making plays that astound.  Much moreso then the players you mentioned, even SuperStevie Kerr.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 11:10:21 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_Basketball_Hall_of_Fame

I mean if Drazen Petrovic can get in why can't Robert Horry?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
I don't think Bob cares if he gets in or not.  He has got more rings than each of those big men that he played with and more than a good number of the guys in the hall right now.   8)
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.