Author Topic: Is Tony Parker a top 3 pg?  (Read 3449 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is Tony Parker a top 3 pg?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 11:58:02 AM »
Williams, on the other hand, has mostly contained Parker on his own.
psssh.  Some containment. 
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=270520024
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=270522024
25/7 in Gm 3 the Spurs only loss to Utah
21/5 in 3 qtrs of the clincher.
Tony averages like 20/8 at 48% for the series.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 03:02:08 PM »

Look at the four games they played during this regular season, not in last year's playoffs, which are older games. I would expect some improvement in a young guy like Williams, and his getting experience looks to have worked at least in regards to Parker.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 03:08:05 PM »

Look at the four games they played during this regular season, not in last year's playoffs, which are older games. I would expect some improvement in a young guy like Williams, and his getting experience looks to have worked at least in regards to Parker.

LOL!  Of course his stats couldn't be legit.  Maybe you should counter with TP's stats when he faced the Lakers in the playoffs and got OWNED!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 03:41:20 PM »
 ;D ;D JOldmaljazz, the Spurs emphasis is on the playoffs.  Ie Cleveland beat them twice in the regular season last year.  Who cares, the Spurs swept and TP was the Finals MVP.

WoW, put down your midafternoon martini and look at the 2003 Tony Parker racing past Kobe and company on the way to a 4-2 win and Championship.  Yes, 2004 was a disappointment.  Since then your Lakers haven't been around in the playoffs to face Tony Parker so yes if you want to rest on 4 years ago, go for it. ;)  Since then Tony got coached by Chip England and is rockin.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 04:10:54 PM »
;D ;D JOldmaljazz, the Spurs emphasis is on the playoffs.  Ie Cleveland beat them twice in the regular season last year.  Who cares, the Spurs swept and TP was the Finals MVP.

WoW, put down your midafternoon martini and look at the 2003 Tony Parker racing past Kobe and company on the way to a 4-2 win and Championship.  Yes, 2004 was a disappointment.  Since then your Lakers haven't been around in the playoffs to face Tony Parker so yes if you want to rest on 4 years ago, go for it. ;)  Since then Tony got coached by Chip England and is rockin.

The Lakers know all too well about teams going MIA in the playoffs.  Lucky for them there were plenty of other teams to play durring the 70's, 80's and 90's.  I thinks it's 7 to 3 all time in favor of their daddy the Lakers, plus Big Papi has owned the Spurs 3 to 1 in the new millenium.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 04:19:26 PM »

Speaking of old, what's that creaking sound coming out of San Antonio? Mice under the floorboards?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 04:29:01 PM »

Speaking of old, what's that creaking sound coming out of San Antonio? Mice under the floorboards?

I've heard some where that mice can throw their voices, they usually aim for the knees of Spurs players.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 06:59:23 AM »
It's the shifting of Greg Pops cranial bones when adjustments are needed.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 07:12:37 AM »
Apparently, today is "Simple Day."

Is Tony Parker a top 3 PG?    NO.

Nash, Kidd, Paul, Deron Williams, Arenas, Billups, Baron Davis.  There's 7 that, in my opinion, are clearly better than he is.  And on his own team, I honestly think Ginobili would make a better point guard, because in the crunch, it's smarter to take the ball OUT of Parker's hands and put it into Manu's.  You don't say that about any of the folks on my list above.

Kidd has fallen off that list because of his performance in Dallas.  I agree those guys are better, and TP is not even close to the performer as CP.  TP is still a 2nd maybe 3rd tier PG in the league.  Nash and Kidd are fading FAST, TP may move up a tier based on that.  There is still a clear difference between TP and some of the other PG, I don't think you can really make the call about TP until he is the leader of team.  Either the system the Spurs run is holding him back or he just doesn't have it in him, I don't know if we will ever know.
30 pts 7 assists 54% fg for Parker in a Popavich offense along with very good consistent D played.  Gee you two think he outdid Nash is this series?

17/11 and 50% for Nash, including several very uncharacteristic turnovers down the stretch as Parker hit two huge j's.  All in all pretty weak D by Nash.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 07:30:40 PM »
Uhmmm......clearly TP is not in the same league as Deron and Paul.  Those guys had their way with the teams they faced and did not disappear for several games in crunch time like TP did this year.

So the question now is have Nash and Kidd fallen off enough to be considered below TP? 

IMO Deron, Paul, Davis and Andre Miller are all better than TP, but TP may be a top 5 pg, that is until that Rose kid hits the league.

CP3 is now clearly #1.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"