Author Topic: Is Tony Parker a top 3 pg?  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Is Tony Parker a top 3 pg?
« on: April 26, 2008, 09:12:59 AM »

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is Tony Parker a top 3 pg?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 10:48:18 AM »
Honestly, where do you rank him now?  And, what criteria are you using to justify your ranking?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 10:51:38 AM »
When it comes to the REAL season...there is no doubt he is a top 3 point guard.  His stretch over the last two playoff series has been remarkable.    After this series Nash has been knocked off his pedestal.  Right now it goes Tony Parker, Chris Paul, and Andre Miller (yes I said Andre Miller)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 11:19:49 AM »
I have to agree.  Tony has elevated his game in these playoffs to a new level, and others that I thought were better aren't even close to what he is doing.

Derron Williams and AI deserve some mention as well, but I agree with wk's list.  It is amazing that Andre Miller is being legitimately discussed as a top 3 point guard.  Considering what he and Reggie Evans are doing in the playoffs, I would say that Phila. got over on Denver big time in the Iverson trade!

Billups has dissappeared in the playoffs, Kidd's weaknesses are starting to overwhelm his talent, Nash's defensive liabilities are a serious limitation.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 12:02:23 PM »
Honestly, where do you rank him now?  And, what criteria are you using to justify your ranking?
Now that he has added the consistent jumper, I've elevated him to top 3.  Very good defense also, that's what's keeping Nash back this season.  Parkers full speed drives to the hoop are as good as any in NBA history at the point guard.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 10:11:30 AM »
Apparently, today is "Simple Day."

Is Tony Parker a top 3 PG?    NO.

Nash, Kidd, Paul, Deron Williams, Arenas, Billups, Baron Davis.  There's 7 that, in my opinion, are clearly better than he is.  And on his own team, I honestly think Ginobili would make a better point guard, because in the crunch, it's smarter to take the ball OUT of Parker's hands and put it into Manu's.  You don't say that about any of the folks on my list above.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 10:36:47 AM »
Apparently, today is "Simple Day."

Is Tony Parker a top 3 PG?    NO.

Nash, Kidd, Paul, Deron Williams, Arenas, Billups, Baron Davis.  There's 7 that, in my opinion, are clearly better than he is.  And on his own team, I honestly think Ginobili would make a better point guard, because in the crunch, it's smarter to take the ball OUT of Parker's hands and put it into Manu's.  You don't say that about any of the folks on my list above.

Kidd has fallen off that list because of his performance in Dallas.  I agree those guys are better, and TP is not even close to the performer as CP.  TP is still a 2nd maybe 3rd tier PG in the league.  Nash and Kidd are fading FAST, TP may move up a tier based on that.  There is still a clear difference between TP and some of the other PG, I don't think you can really make the call about TP until he is the leader of team.  Either the system the Spurs run is holding him back or he just doesn't have it in him, I don't know if we will ever know.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 11:07:40 AM »
Nash can't defend him. Let's wait to see how a defensive-minded point guard does against the speedy Parker before annointed him great.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 11:14:54 AM »
Kidds better then Parker?  ;D ;D
With all due repect to Kidds past game, that's hilarious.

So Jazzmal, specifically which "defensive-minded point guard" does Parker have to face in the playoffs to be upgraded?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 11:15:50 AM »
Nash can't defend him. Let's wait to see how a defensive-minded point guard does against the speedy Parker before annointed him great.

To deny what he's done in the playoffs the last two years is kind of messed up don't ya think?  Whether he's the leader of his squad or not he is getting it done.

Besides...what defensive minded point guard are you talking about?  Chris Paul? LOL.  The only defensive minded PG he *MIGHT* see is Derek Fisher and I wouldn't even consider him a good enough defender at this point to bother TP at all.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:20:10 AM by westkoast »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 11:33:57 AM »
Kidds better then Parker?  ;D ;D
With all due repect to Kidds past game, that's hilarious.

So Jazzmal, specifically which "defensive-minded point guard" does Parker have to face in the playoffs to be upgraded?

Williams comes to mind. Paul would be a challenge on both sides of the court for him. The Lakers' team defense. Who else are they likely to face in the next round?

While Utah is a tougher opponent for Parker, any of these teams have the ability to contain Tony better then the Suns did. Williams in particular, though has basically had his way with Parker. The only time that Parker went off on Utah this year, Williams sat out over half the game with an injury.

Ginobili, on the other hand, might prove to be a handful for Utah.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 11:36:27 AM »

To deny what he's done in the playoffs the last two years is kind of messed up don't ya think?  Whether he's the leader of his squad or not he is getting it done.

Besides...what defensive minded point guard are you talking about?  Chris Paul? LOL.  The only defensive minded PG he *MIGHT* see is Derek Fisher and I wouldn't even consider him a good enough defender at this point to bother TP at all.

No, I .....um.....was NOT thinking about Fisher. Paul would pressure Parker more by his offense, which could make his defense more affective. Williams, on the other hand, has mostly contained Parker on his own.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 11:45:50 AM »

No, I .....um.....was NOT thinking about Fisher. Paul would pressure Parker more by his offense, which could make his defense more affective. Williams, on the other hand, has mostly contained Parker on his own.

The reason I brought up Fisher is that the Spurs won't see Utah (yes the trash talking starts early!)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 11:51:27 AM »

The reason I brought up Fisher is that the Spurs won't see Utah (yes the trash talking starts early!)

IT'S ON!!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 11:53:41 AM »
The Lakers' team defense.

LOL!  Oh wait......  >:(  Is that a joke?  I'm confused, mostly by the Lakers team defense.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"