Author Topic: Lakers looking impressive  (Read 4672 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Lakers looking impressive
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2004, 03:06:17 PM »
Yao is BEHIND the dotted line (therefore ANY contact is a foul)
Actually, no, any contact is not a foul.   It is a no charging foul zone.  If a player is in that area and the offensive player runs into him it cannot be a charge just a no call.

Otherwise go on with your argument with Reality.

:ph34r:
I don't know what planet you are on -- but whatever you quoted sure isn't what is called on a regular basis.

Although, I have come to expect you are Reality to agree.
I am on planet Earth...your point of origin is best left to those with vivid imaginations.  I just quoted the rule in layman terms.  I didn't say it was called correctly but then I wouldn't expect someone with your reading comprehension skills to pick up on such a subtle difference.

Whether it is properly applied is a whole other discussion.  Goes hand in hand with palming, travelling, hand checks, offensive dislodging and a whole host of other "rule interpretations".

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2004, 03:13:53 PM »
Actually, no, any contact is not a foul.   It is a no charging foul zone.  If a player is in that area and the offensive player runs into him it cannot be a charge just a no call.

I don't know what planet you are on -- but whatever you quoted sure isn't what is called on a regular basis.

I am on planet Earth...your point of origin is best left to those with vivid imaginations.  I just quoted the rule in layman terms.  I didn't say it was called correctly but then I wouldn't expect someone with your reading comprehension skills to pick up on such a subtle difference.

Whether it is properly applied is a whole other discussion.  Goes hand in hand with palming, travelling, hand checks, offensive dislodging and a whole host of other "rule interpretations".

How many times have you seen a defender firmly planted below the dotted line called for a foul?  If the player was outside the dotted line, it would have been a charge -- but since he is below the dotted line (and the announcers and network show it in slow-mo checking out where his feet were) it's a foul on the defender.  

There are some things that aren't called -- but this is one that is pretty clearly called ALL the time -- the ridiculous thing is that you KNOW it is.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2004, 03:47:01 PM »

How many times have you seen a defender firmly planted below the dotted line called for a foul?  If the player was outside the dotted line, it would have been a charge -- but since he is below the dotted line (and the announcers and network show it in slow-mo checking out where his feet were) it's a foul on the defender.  

There are some things that aren't called -- but this is one that is pretty clearly called ALL the time -- the ridiculous thing is that you KNOW it is.
No, the ridiculous thing is that you are trying to create an argument by telling me what I am saying.  

The only thing I stated was the general rule (if you understand this statement let me know and we can try to agree on the next statement of fact).

Otherwise I'll just step back from this discussion and allow you to continue fantasizing about an argument that has never existed.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2004, 04:04:42 PM »
Get a room!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2004, 04:45:12 PM »

No, the ridiculous thing is that you are trying to create an argument by telling me what I am saying.  

The only thing I stated was the general rule (if you understand this statement let me know and we can try to agree on the next statement of fact).

Otherwise I'll just step back from this discussion and allow you to continue fantasizing about an argument that has never existed.
Please, you decided to make this into something from the very beginning.  

Try telling me how many times they call a "charge" against an offensive player when the defensive player is in the dotted line?  How many "no-calls" are there?  8 times out of ten, the defensive player is going to get that foul and the refs sure seem to know the rule -- even if you don't.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2004, 05:18:54 PM »

Try telling me how many times they call a "charge" against an offensive player when the defensive player is in the dotted line?  How many "no-calls" are there?  8 times out of ten, the defensive player is going to get that foul and the refs sure seem to know the rule -- even if you don't.
YOU keep wanting to turn this into a discussion on how often the rule is properly interpreted.  I have tried to just clear up YOUR improper claim as to the rule.

My POINT....both originally and now....is that the RULE SAYS:  That the dotted semi-circle under the basket is a zone where CHARGING cannot be called.  Blocking CAN be called if the defensive player is moving (usually the case).  However if the defensive player is set and the offensive player JUMPS INTO HIM then the officials are to have a "no-call".

Again the above paragraph is an EXPLANATION of the rule in layman's terms.  No comment one way or the other about if it is called consistently or correctly.  

Good thing I am bored enough today at work to have this little "exchange" with you.  It is always refreshing to know that your reading comprehension hasn't improved.

-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2004, 05:32:49 PM »
How about just posting the rule as written instead of the "layman" interpretation.  No offense to your reading comprehension and translation abiltiites but there's a reason I call the state you live in "Texass".
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2004, 05:55:06 PM »

YOU keep wanting to turn this into a discussion on how often the rule is properly interpreted.  I have tried to just clear up YOUR improper claim as to the rule.

My POINT....both originally and now....is that the RULE SAYS:  That the dotted semi-circle under the basket is a zone where CHARGING cannot be called.  Blocking CAN be called if the defensive player is moving (usually the case).  However if the defensive player is set and the offensive player JUMPS INTO HIM then the officials are to have a "no-call".

Again the above paragraph is an EXPLANATION of the rule in layman's terms.  No comment one way or the other about if it is called consistently or correctly.  

Good thing I am bored enough today at work to have this little "exchange" with you.  It is always refreshing to know that your reading comprehension hasn't improved.

Hmm, what's a truer assessment of NBA rules:

a)  Your "layman's interpretation" of rules

B)  Refs interpretation of the rules that are called on the court night after night.

Hmm, going to have to go with "b" on that one.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2004, 05:56:51 PM »
How about just posting the rule as written instead of the "layman" interpretation.  No offense to your reading comprehension and translation abiltiites but there's a reason I call the state you live in "Texass".
FYI,

That was a joke cheesy poof!  :P  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2004, 05:58:09 PM »
Hey, WHO asked you to but in on my little "party" with Randy.  If you are that interested in the rule go look it up yourself.   :angry:

-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2004, 06:03:01 PM »

B)  Refs interpretation of the rules that are called on the court night after night.

Then I guess there is no such rules regarding travelling, offensive dislodging (especially when Shaq is on the court), palming, etc.  Since the refs don't call these items they must not exist in the rules.

However we are not talking about the refs interpretation but YOURS.  And just to let you know I have seen the refs call it both ways....blocking & no-call.  And in my last response to you I even indicated that most of the time the defensive player is not set...therefore it is called a blocking foul MOST OF THE TIME.

Enough of this sillyness.  Again your reading comprehension would embarrass most elementary school students.  It is 5:00 and I hear the whistle blowing.....
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2004, 06:04:29 PM »
How about just posting the rule as written instead of the "layman" interpretation.  No offense to your reading comprehension and translation abiltiites but there's a reason I call the state you live in "Texass".
FYI,

That was a joke cheesy poof!  :P
I'd call you Cartman....but then you would want to eat me (cheesy poof).  And that's definately an area I don't EVEN want to think about.   :lol:

-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2004, 07:15:58 PM »

Then I guess there is no such rules regarding travelling, offensive dislodging (especially when Shaq is on the court), palming, etc.  Since the refs don't call these items they must not exist in the rules.

However we are not talking about the refs interpretation but YOURS.  And just to let you know I have seen the refs call it both ways....blocking & no-call.  And in my last response to you I even indicated that most of the time the defensive player is not set...therefore it is called a blocking foul MOST OF THE TIME.

Enough of this sillyness.  Again your reading comprehension would embarrass most elementary school students.  It is 5:00 and I hear the whistle blowing.....
Enough of this sillyness.  Again your reading comprehension would embarrass most elementary school students.  It is 5:00 and I hear the whistle blowing.....

Oh, I am sooo insulted -- sure you don't want to add "period, no question mark" -- that's what most insulting gradeschool children would do.

Then I guess there is no such rules regarding travelling, offensive dislodging (especially when Shaq is on the court), palming, etc.  Since the refs don't call these items they must not exist in the rules.

However we are not talking about the refs interpretation but YOURS.  And just to let you know I have seen the refs call it both ways....blocking & no-call.  And in my last response to you I even indicated that most of the time the defensive player is not set...therefore it is called a blocking foul MOST OF THE TIME.

Gosh, I do think we've been through this about a million times -- but I'll write it again since it seems you are soo slow to catch on.  There ARE official NBA rules and then there are rules that get called on the court.

Here's an example for you (and I'll type real slow so perhaps you will get it this time):
It is a foul for an offensive player to dislodge a defensive player from their previously established position.  That is the rule -- of course, the post back-down performed by every player with a post game (including TD) breaks that every time.  The post player pushes the defensive player (usually smaller and/or weaker) from their previously established position and backs them down to get the shot that they want.  You seem to only want to acknowledge that Shaq does this but I guess you are blind with TD and Rose do this.  This is a foul every time -- yet it is never called -- why?  Because what the rule book says is often quite different from what is called.

Another example:  
It is illegal to grab an opponent and/or his jersey, etc., however, without the ability to do this, Bruce Bowen would be on the same CBA team that Avery Johnson belongs on.  Hmm, why don't you harp on this lack of call?  Oh, it doesn't suit your purpose.

Bottom line is that if the defender makes any contact to the offensive player below the dotted line -- it's a foul against the defender.  Do refs not call it if the offensive player makes the shot -- a lot of times they don't -- but they call it 90% of the time when the offensive player misses -- whether the defensive player has position or not.  We have all seen defensive players set with their foot behind the line and they get called for the foul -- and when all the analysts and commentaries go back and look at the play, they only look to see if his foot was behind the line -- if it was, the defender gets the foul.  I know you know this -- you aren't nearly as dumb as you act.