Author Topic: Who should be the Defensive Player of the Year?  (Read 1677 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Who should be the Defensive Player of the Year?
« on: April 22, 2008, 03:47:14 PM »
...turns out, that would be Kevin Garnett, beating out Camby and Battier:

Celtics? Garnett wins defensive player award

Boston?s Kevin Garnett won the NBA?s defensive player of the year award Tuesday. He beat out Denver?s Marcus Camby and Houston?s Shane Battier.

The 6-foot-11 forward led the Celtics with 9.2 rebounds per game. He added 18.8 points, 1.2 blocks and 1.4 steals.

Garnett helped the Celtics to league-best records of 66-16 (.805) overall and 31-10 (.738) on the road. Boston held opponents to just 90.3 points (second in the NBA) after allowing 99.2 points per game a season ago. The Celtics had the biggest one-year turnaround in NBA history.

Garnett received 493 points, including 90 first-place votes. Camby, who won the award last season, finished second with 178 points and Battier had 175 points.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who should be the Defensive Player of the Year?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 03:54:05 PM »
Tough to disagree with this selection.  The Celtics have the best D in the league and KG has been the anchor.  Battier should get honorable mention, but Camby's team wouldn't know defensive if it came up and bit them in the arse.  I know it's an individual award, but something doesn't seem right in naming a guy the best defender in the league if he's on a team that plays the second worst D in the league.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 07:03:10 PM »
Think this was pretty much a given.  Only way he doesn't get DPOY is if he was to get the MVP award.

Did you guys see the vote break down?  Kobe and Bowen got votes strickly on reputation.  After Shane Battier there was a drop off in top quality defensive players this season.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 07:13:06 PM »
Tough to disagree with this selection.  The Celtics have the best D in the league and KG has been the anchor.  Battier should get honorable mention, but Camby's team wouldn't know defensive if it came up and bit them in the arse.  I know it's an individual award, but something doesn't seem right in naming a guy the best defender in the league if he's on a team that plays the second worst D in the league.

Camby blocks shots. Whoopie!

A blocked shot often goes right back to the same team for another try, so who cares.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 12:27:56 AM »
Camby is extremely overrated as a defender.  It was a joke he won it last year.  His blocks are great, but mostly for the transition opportunities they provide.

KG was the best defender on the best defensive team, on a team filled with other superstars not particularly known for their defense.  He wins it hands down IMO.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 09:45:47 AM »
...on a team filled with other superstars not particularly known for their defense.

I shudder to think what KG would have done on a team with defenders like the Spurs or Rockets!  :o
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 09:50:22 AM »

I shudder to think what KG would have done on a team with defenders like the Spurs or Rockets!  :o

Perhaps we can find out.

I suggest the Spurs package Jacque Vaughn, Fabs, and a couple of draft picks, plus cap relief for Garnett. 

All you need to get that to go through is hire the Memphis GM in Boston.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 09:21:06 AM »

Perhaps we can find out.

I suggest the Spurs package Jacque Vaughn, Fabs, and a couple of draft picks, plus cap relief for Garnett. 

All you need to get that to go through is hire the Memphis GM in Boston.

Can you package Reality in that deal as well?
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.