Author Topic: Jazz win first two on the road  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jazz win first two on the road
« on: April 22, 2008, 12:58:31 AM »
Did anyone see the score tonight and say "Oh great. Ted is going to be insufferable!" Cuz I did. When AK47 sold that foul on Scola with 45 seconds left, I thought to myself, "Oh yeah. I'm going to be insufferable." It was funny.

Seriously though. I can still see this series going 5 games because I understand what some have a difficult time grasping. This is the playoffs, not the regular season.

In the first two games, TMac has scored 1 point in two fourth quarters. Jazz have employed a nice strategy of throwing different people at him all game and then putting a fresh AK47 on him in the fourth. It was worked nicely. That said, props to TMac for an overal monster game. 23 points, 13 rebounds, and 9 assists should not be discounted. All he had to do was get a couple of buckets in the fourth and they could've won, but he settled for his trademark contested jump shot. Fun game to watch.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 01:02:21 AM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Jazz win first two on the road
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 02:51:16 AM »
The Jazz have earned bragging rights -- I really expected both of the first two games to be more like tonights -- tough hard fought contests.  While the big guns all did their thing -- there were a few unsung heroes (back up point guards) from both teams that stepped up.  It was a good game to watch. 

You probably think that I'm voting for the Rockets but I don't like TMac -- couldn't vote for him if I wanted to -- I do like Scola but I am also a fan of Deron Williams.  I haven't got the chance to see the Jazz play a lot but I am impressed with Brewer.  He plays like a much bigger player and he is shooting 55% from the field?  He isn't your prototypical shooting guard in that seems to like the post more than the arch but he was fun to watch.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 09:06:47 AM »
When AK sold the foul and Scola and then when Aston Kucher Korver hit the side of the backboard, the rebound greased back to him and he tossed up his 1940s set shot buzzer beater that fell in, that sealed it.

Good recap of Tmac tho Ted.  Great overall game, settled for jumpers in 4th.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:12:40 AM »
For the record, I am hopping on the Jazz playoff bandwagon again this year.  You'll note the lack butt kissing required to get me on board unlike some others *cough Princess JazMal cough*

AK running down the loose ball and getting it to Korver for the last second shot was a an absolute back breaker.    
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 09:21:55 AM »
AK was big tonight again. Jerry Sloan said his favorite part of that play was the fact that Andrei had the presence of mind to get the ball to back to Korver. When you're a shooter like Korver, stuff like that drops sometimes . . . great shot.

Brewer is an interesting type of player. I cringe every time he ends up taking that jump shot, but that doesn't happen more than a few times a game. We're an interesting team because we've got Memo dropping threes outside and Ronnie throwing down dunks on backdoor cuts. It works and throws a lot of different looks at the opposing defense. Brewer has a big advantage finishing over many of the shooting guards he faces . . . not TMac though. His arms are so long and he can still get way up there. You saw a glimpse of what TMac could have been in the second quarter. He was simply everywhere.

Korver is going to be big for us. He played very good D on TMac--as good as can be expected from him. And he got some big rebounds and even had a block once (it may have been against TMac, not sure). And of course he is irreplacable when we have a lead at the end.

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 09:23:03 AM »
For the record, I am hopping on the Jazz playoff bandwagon again this year.  You'll note the lack butt kissing required to get me on board unlike some others *cough Princess JazMal cough*

AK running down the loose ball and getting it to Korver for the last second shot was a an absolute back breaker.    

Welcome JN. It's going to be fun having you on board.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 09:39:17 AM »
This series is a WRAP.  Congrads Jazz fans and  Jamality their bandwagon fan on ending a 4 game series in 2 quick jabs.   As a long time Tracy McGrady fan (since his robin days with Vince in Toronto) it pains me to say it but he's vastly overrated and one of the most talented players who will never sniff the second round.  I don't know if it's his 'funk' or his comments but this team is not the same team who won all those games in a row.  It looks exactly as average as last year's squad.

On a side note, I am eating Russian crow.  It tastes good, a little bit dry, but it tastes good.  I think it was marinated in Smirnoff since around December but hay I like to drink so I don't mind.

On a side side note, Paul Millsap has the best player eff rating in the playoffs.  I know it's only been two games but I thought it was interesting.  As he was on my fantasy team i've payed a bit more attention to him.  He's the kind of player a team needs in the playoffs.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 09:41:36 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 10:40:24 AM »
Man those Jazz can't win a road game to save their life. 8)

That game was awesome.  AK in the fourth quarter was vintage.  The play when he poked out T-Mac's dribble than dived for it forcing T-Mac to dive and the ball went out on T-Mac.  
How about some of those passes he made--one of my favorites was when a guy made a hard cut straight to the basket AK does a two hand over the head pass and the ball flies in a different trajectory than expected straight to Millsap set up for a wide open shot 18 footer.  

Speaking of which, I love that kid's game.  Millsap--beyond a couple missed bunnies--played an excellent game and I really like his activity around the basket on both ends.  He is also a more talented offensive player than I initially gave him credit for.  

I can't say I'm a fan of Sloan's gameplan to double Tracy and turn him into a facilitator.  If Scola and T-Mac combine for 50 points, I'm MUCH rather it be Tracy scored 40 and Scola 10 instead of Tracy 25 and Scola 25.  T-Mac is obliging by taking rather high difficulty shots but I think if Houston starts converting those open layups off the double team of Tracy, Utah may get into some trouble back in Salt Lake.  

BTW, koast, I think T-Mac took to you calling him a suspect defender personally.  That guy was a defensive monster last night--in the second quarter especially his defense single-handedly kept Houston in the game.  

Good to see Utah close out a tough one.  They're benefitting from being bigger than Houston right now and hence getting some 2nd chance opportunities from missed perimeter shots, this won't work with the Lakers, Suns, and Spurs.  I want to see them have a little more balance to the overall offensive gameplan in preparation for those tests.  

Still . . . I'll take 2-0 going back home.  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 01:19:23 PM »

....and that's why you will only be a side witness to life in the hardball lane, jn.

With 261 views and 77 replies, it did spice up the board I would think.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 01:35:52 PM »
Ronnie Price is an entertaining little sucker. His overall development, of course, was due to the excellent coaching he received in his first year in the League by.....hmmmmm.......could it be with the opposing coach now facing Ronnie's team?

I always thought Ronnie could provide at least twenty quality minutes for some team. He reminds me of another backup point guard who did all right once Adelman got a hold of him.... Bobby Jackson. Price only played for just under eight minutes last night, but you sure knew he was out on the court.

As for the game itself, who now does not wonder if not having Yao would have made a difference in the playoffs for Houston? That question has to now be asked, because the Jazz starting front line is dominating the Rockets on the boards - 31 to 12 last night, and 28 to 25 the first game.

And Kirilenko did a great Vlade Divac immitation on minimal contact. No way it should have been called a foul, especially in Houston. Maybe in SLC.   
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 02:10:31 PM »
And Kirilenko did a great Vlade Divac immitation on minimal contact. No way it should have been called a foul, especially in Houston. Maybe in SLC.   

Hey! We Jazz fans like objectivity, but don't take it too far compadre. There was definitely a shove, Andrei just sold it.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 02:34:39 PM »
Aaah JoMal, the number of replies means nothing.  What is actually impressive is the fact that you got 77 replies without the thread didn't devolve into a pissing match about Kobe.  Kudos!
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 03:23:29 PM »
Aaah JoMal, the number of replies means nothing.  What is actually impressive is the fact that you got 77 replies without the thread didn't devolve into a pissing match about Kobe.  Kudos!

Now that is great praise indeed. Though, as I recall, one of our Laqueer faithful DID bring up the "Kobe for MVP" chant in a fashion meant to challenge my loyalty had I chosen his team.

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 05:30:41 PM »
On a side note, I am eating Russian crow.  It tastes good, a little bit dry, but it tastes good.  I think it was marinated in Smirnoff since around December but hay I like to drink so I don't mind.

On a side side note, Paul Millsap has the best player eff rating in the playoffs.  I know it's only been two games but I thought it was interesting.  As he was on my fantasy team i've payed a bit more attention to him.  He's the kind of player a team needs in the playoffs.

No need to eat crow. You didn't pick against the Jazz did you? I didn't think you did. I'll have to go check the picks thread. Anyway, it's the first round. Crow is unnecessary.

Paul Millsap is one of our best bench players. I'm excited about this guy, and not nearly as worried about losing AK as I was. I still hope we don't. But Millsap has always been an energy rebounding guy, but his offense just gets better and better.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 05:32:46 PM by Ted »