Author Topic: Manu gets the Sixth man...  (Read 3410 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Manu gets the Sixth man...
« on: April 21, 2008, 01:42:04 PM »
April 21, 2008
Jeff McDonald: Ginobili named MVP*
* -- among Sixth Men.

Manu Ginobili can add another trophy to his mantel. The Spurs guard has been named the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year, in a vote of sportswriters who cover the league.

It wasn't even close.

Ginobili received 615 of 620 possible points in the voting, including 123 of 124 possible first-place votes. (Doing the math here, it appears that whomever did not vote Ginobili No. 1 actually didn't list him on the ballot at all).

Coming off the bench in 51 of 74 games this season, Ginobili averaged a career-high 19.5 points to lead the Spurs. He is the first Sixth Man of the Year winner to pace his team in scoring since Ricky Pierce did it for Milwaukee in 1990.

There was an interesting typo on the official NBA press release announcing the award, which at one point mistakenly mentions Ginobili just won the league MVP award, not the Sixth Man award. Kobe Bryant would probably argue. Spurs fans would not.

Ginobili will receive his new bauble in a press conference after this morning's practice. We're sure it will occupy an esteemed place in his personal trophy case next to his three NBA championship rings and Olympic gold medal.

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Manu gets the Sixth man...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 02:27:15 PM »
They need to either give this award to someone else or get rid of it as long as Manu keeps coming off the bench lol
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 02:59:32 PM »
Agreed -- it kind of robs the 6th Man Award of it's purpose.  There are some great players that would garner consideration and it's kind of a shame that a starter gets the award when it really is meant as the "best bench player in the league."  I understand why Pop does it and I don't have a problem with it but when it kind of takes away the spirit of what the award means.  Manu is better than the Spurs starting SG so it does kind of take away from the spirit of the award.

Here are a couple of other thoughts:
  1)  Is there another team in the league who sits their best player so that he can come off the bench to lead their 2nd squad?
  2)  Who is the best 6th man in the league if you take Manu out of consideration (and it might be a worthy to note that I don't think that another Spurs player would receive consideration - no diss intended, just that it's clear that Manu isn't really a bench player)?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 03:09:38 PM »
Agreed -- it kind of robs the 6th Man Award of it's purpose.  There are some great players that would garner consideration and it's kind of a shame that a starter gets the award when it really is meant as the "best bench player in the league."  I understand why Pop does it and I don't have a problem with it but when it kind of takes away the spirit of what the award means.  Manu is better than the Spurs starting SG so it does kind of take away from the spirit of the award.

1)  Is there another team in the league who sits their best player so that he can come off the bench to lead their 2nd squad?
  2)  Who is the best 6th man in the league if you take Manu out of consideration (and it might be a worthy to note that I don't think that another Spurs player would receive consideration - no diss intended, just that it's clear that Manu isn't really a bench player)?

Micheal Cooper
Roy Tarpley
Kevin McHale

It's par for the course. 

That fact that you posted "...come off the bench to lead their 2nd squad..." is all you need to read to know he is a legit 6th man.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 03:11:09 PM »

And last year's winner...and this year's runner up...Barbosa doesn't play starter minutes?  I just love this argument which is being mostly pushed by Suns fans.  Mike Miller the year before that (2006) averages 30+ minutes and is the team's second leading scorer.  Or maybe the 2005 award when Ben Gordon averages 25 min a game and is the team's second leading scorer?

Sounds like more Spurs bashing to me...
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 03:14:50 PM »

And last year's winner...and this year's runner up...Barbosa doesn't play starter minutes?  I just love this argument which is being mostly pushed by Suns fans.  Mike Miller the year before that (2006) averages 30+ minutes and is the team's second leading scorer.  Or maybe the 2005 award when Ben Gordon averages 25 min a game and is the team's second leading scorer?

I am not bashing the Spurs (I know you were not directing it towards me).  I just think that as long as Manu comes off the bench he is going to get the award.  He is just by far the best player coming off the bench in the league.  Whether his minutes inflate stats or he plays 'starters' minutes it doesn't matter.  He is not in the starting 5.  He is the first off the bench thus making him the 6th man.

The only team to have one of their best players come off the bench is Gilbert Arenas and that has to do with injury.  Nothing else.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 03:16:32 PM »
And to make sure this is an official thread...

Ginobili is the only player in the NBA ranked in the top 31 for points per game (31st), steals (16th), assists (28th), three-point field goals made (156, 16th), three-point field goal percentage (.401, 28th), free throws made (380, 16th) and free throw percentage (.860, 16th).

Maybe some day Kobe can be this good.    ;D
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 03:18:32 PM »
JazMal says -

A true sixth man is like Bobby Jackson was when he won for that team we shall no longer name several years back. This just qualifies for a justifiable smackdown when the Jazz squashes the Spurts later in the playoffs.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 03:25:44 PM »
JazMal says -

A true sixth man is like Bobby Jackson was when he won for that team we shall no longer name several years back. This just qualifies for a justifiable smackdown when the Jazz squashes the Spurts later in the playoffs.

When he averaged over 28 minutes a game...that sound like starter minutes to me.  Age is slowing your thought process there Jazmine...err JazMal
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 03:26:13 PM »

Ginobili is the only player in the NBA ranked in the top 31 for points per game (31st), steals (16th), assists (28th), three-point field goals made (156, 16th), three-point field goal percentage (.401, 28th), free throws made (380, 16th) and free throw percentage (.860, 16th).

If Kobe drops to 31st in scoring he needs to retire or if Kobe every flops like DraManu he needs to have dirt thrown on him along with a tombstone.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 03:31:40 PM »

.... if Kobe every flops like DraManu he needs to have dirt thrown on him along with a tombstone.

Would that not be redundant, WOWSER? And who IS the Laker sixth man that Kobeless doesn't allow to play with his ball either?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 03:41:28 PM »

.... if Kobe every flops like DraManu he needs to have dirt thrown on him along with a tombstone.

Would that not be redundant, WOWSER? And who IS the Laker sixth man that Kobeless doesn't allow to play with his ball either?

Did someone hear a bandwagon slut attempt to weigh in with pathetic realityesque "moniker" for the greatest player in the game? Neither did I
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 04:44:35 PM »

Did someone hear a bandwagon slut attempt to weigh in with pathetic realityesque "moniker" for the greatest player in the game? Neither did I

Gee, can somebody add - LIAR! Apparently someone sure DID hear, and trembled with the knowledge

S-O-U-R G-R-A-P-E-S are sooooo tasty as an after-mint to the Kobe buttliplockers around here.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 08:27:37 PM »

I'm not sure what you are talking about Lurker, I heard NOTHING except a squeeky little wagon wheel as it rolled on by.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 11:00:28 PM »

Actually, I would put Barbosa and Gordon on that list as well.  I actually have posted this in the past, even when Manu DIDN'T win this award.  It really has little to do with who won it -- who IS the best man off the bench (who isn't really a starter?  Playing starter minutes, simply coming off the bench?). 

Can we add another award, then, just so we don't hurt your sensitive Spur feelings?  Best true bench player?  A guy who comes off the bench and helps your team win? 

Should we go team by team?  I would choose Turiaf for the Lakers although Sasha would be very close.  Turiaf adds a great deal of energy, smart basketball IQ, great team play, the ability to knock down the open 18' and has a canny way of knowing where the ball will be in order to block the shot (esp. for a guy who isn't that big playing center).