Author Topic: Question...  (Read 2717 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Question...
« on: April 21, 2008, 10:30:49 AM »
If the Mavs go out in round 1 again, is Avery gonna get the Axe??  I think Cuban will can him, which would be another dumb move by him.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 10:35:44 AM »
If the Mavs go out in round 1 again, is Avery gonna get the Axe??  I think Cuban will can him, which would be another dumb move by him.

Actually I think it would be one of the few times that a coach should be fired.  You know rather then a coach getting fired just because the players themselves are horrible.  The job of the coach is to make a team prepared mentally, develop a good game plan, and make sure they stick to it at this level.  He doesn't need to teach players how to shoot or how to pass on this squad.  He has to get them prepared mentally.  If they lose again in this round to an unexperienced playoff team for the second straight year I think you HAVE to fire Avery Johnson.  Regardless if Dirk is soft and Jason Kidd is not quite what they expected.  It's Avery's job to make Dirk into a tough leader.  To make matters worse out of all the coaches I can think of in the NBA right now he is the best qualified to teach how to be a tough, vocal leader in today's NBA.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:40:19 AM »
Yes i think if they go out Cuban will replace Avery.
Why do you think its a dumb move, Xs3?  Because the West is so tight this year that a R1 exit should not be viewed like typical years R1 exits?

Combined with last years out, plus the overall feel that his acting like the Little General (more like the little Napoleon) is wearing on his players.

Would any of them be freed up to become Spurs?  :D
I think we can fit Josh Howard in. ;)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:56:13 AM »
Avery is a great coach, and as far as motivation goes, remember this guy got COY his first year out and had Dallas with the best record last year.  If Dirk could not hack it, I can't totally fault Avery on that, Nellie tried and couldn't get Dirk over the hump, so I can't really fault Avery for that...I can see where WK is coming from though so I understand his point, I just think Avery deserves better.  Still it would be nice to see Cuban sulking after another first round loss.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 10:57:31 AM »
Avery should have been fired last year.  He is the most overrated coach in the league today.  He's an idiot, he couldn't adjust his belt if an opposing coach pulled on his pants. PATHETIC!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 11:32:42 AM »
Avery should have been fired last year.  He is the most overrated coach in the league today.  He's an idiot, he couldn't adjust his belt if an opposing coach pulled on his pants. PATHETIC!

Amen vato! Avery is a JOKE of a coach! He has no ability to make in game adjustments, he looks like he is berating his team and killing their spirit every time they make some mental error, he IS a little dictator out there and with all that talent Dallas has, they underachieve EVERY SINGLE SEASON under his inept tutelage. Using Nelson as a barometer of where or how tough this team should be is laughable, because the only coach as overrated as Johnson is his mentor.

X3, I know you cowboys in SA have a special place in your heart for this little pipsqueak who was almost as below average a player as he is a HORRIBLE coach, but you needn't continue to prop him anymore, he has been exposed for the fraud he is, being a nice guy and a good locker room presence during his playing days doesn't translate into talent in a coaching gig, and if anything, it has gone to his head. He is one of the STUPIDEST coaches in the game today, get over your man love for this clown.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:34:30 AM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 11:36:59 AM »

Amen vato! Avery is a JOKE of a coach! He has no ability to make in game adjustments, he looks like he is berating his team and killing their spirit every time they make some mental error, he IS a little dictator out there and with all that talent Dallas has, they underachieve EVERY SINGLE SEASON under his inept tutelage. Using Nelson as a barometer of where or how tough this team should be is laughable, because the only coach as overrated as Johnson is his mentor.

X3, I know you cowboys in SA have a special place in your heart for this little pipsqueak who was almost as below average a player as he is a HORRIBLE coach, but you needn't continue to prop him anymore, he has been exposed for the fraud he is, being a nice guy and a good locker room presence during his playing days doesn't translate into talent in a coaching gig, and if anything, it has gone to his head. He is one of the STUPIDEST coaches in the game today, get over your man love for this clown.
and another thing,
What does this say for all you Pop worshipping types (Lurker, cousin westkoast etc) about Pop being outcoached by Avery in 2006?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 11:56:23 AM »
and another thing,
What does this say for all you Pop worshipping types (Lurker, cousin westkoast etc) about Pop being outcoached by Avery in 2006?

I guessed I missed that series.  Or are you referring to where Avery told Dirk to throw his arm into Manu's attempted block at the rim?  You are right, Reality...AJ coached circles around Pop.    ::)
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 12:25:36 PM »
I don't know how I fell about the term, "man love"  it feels.... dirty.  PLease don't use that with me.   :-[

Lol, Hey I like Avery, And I htink the guy can coach.  I never said he was one of the greatest to coach, but I like him as a leader. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 12:45:56 PM »
and another thing,

I guessed I missed that series.  Or are you referring to where Avery told Dirk to throw his arm into Manu's attempted block at the rim?  You are right, Reality...AJ coached circles around Pop.    ::)
You missed a lot of the adjustments or rather misadjustments with Avery dictating smallball to Poppy.  But you did see that one play.  Applause.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 01:22:32 PM »
Where has he led this talent laden team X3? On talent alone this team could make the playoffs almost without a coach, with the exception of  Wade the Mavericks were waay more talented than the Heat, up 2 games to none WITH home court, and Avery coached them to IMO one of the most monumental choke jobs in recent memory. How does he follow up that steller performance? By rolling to a phenominal regular season record, deliberately setting up his team to face Golden State in the first round by sitting his entire starting lineup in game 81 against a Warriors team that he knew full well owned them in the previous 2 regular seasons having gone 1-5 against them to that point, lose to them again thereby eliminating a weak Clippers team in order to earn the privelage of being the victims of one of the bigger upsets in NBA history. This is not to include blowing a 12 point lead this year in game 1 to an inexperienced Hornets team and letting his euro-soft woman of a big man get girl slapped with no repercussions.

Yeah, he is a GREAT coach and a fantastic leader, if you want to be led into the record book for futility, and get added to the list of teams that had the talent but not the heart, Johnson is the perfect fit to help Dallas reach that goal.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 01:26:18 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 02:18:20 PM »
 :'( awwwwww, OK! (SPURSX3 kisk the dirt in front of him...head down in shame..)  :'(

lol

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 02:32:21 PM »
:'( awwwwww, OK! (SPURSX3 kisk the dirt in front of him...head down in shame..)  :'(
lol

Does this mean... OWNAGE?! What am I gonna do with a Texan? WOW, wanna work a trade, or does everbody already own Minnie ME and his mentor?
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 03:21:27 PM »
What is this dis of Dampier supposed to accomplish?
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nba

The Dirk critics around the nation have pounced on his perceived lack of toughness after David West disrespected him with a non-love tap on the cheek late in Game 1. Avery Johnson didn't like what he saw during the confrontation that resulted in double technicals, either. But he thinks the critics have called out the wrong Maverick 7-footer. "I think more than anything we need players to not back down from anybody," Avery said during a chat with reporters at the team hotel. "That's what the playoffs are all about. More than Dirk doing something about it, I would have liked for somebody else on the team -- preferably in the center position -- to do something about it." Avery paused for effect at this point. "Was that clear enough?" he asked.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 05:34:17 PM »
Does this mean... OWNAGE?! What am I gonna do with a Texan? WOW, wanna work a trade, or does everbody already own Minnie ME and his mentor?

Pretty sure it's a joint ownership kind of thing.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton