Author Topic: Patrick Ewing gets 10 day contract with Rockets  (Read 3767 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Patrick Ewing gets 10 day contract with Rockets
« on: April 01, 2004, 12:25:56 PM »
http://216.157.138.26/nba/rockets/news/Roc..._-104711-34.htm

Rockets Sign, Activate Ewing

Apr. 1, 2004 - The Houston Rockets have signed assistant coach Patrick Ewing to a 10-day contract, general manager Carroll Dawson announced today.
Ewing joined Jeff Van Gundy's coaching staff this season, but is best known for his 17-year playing career. The Rockets' current injury problems, most notably to Kelvin Cato, have the 41-year old center back in action.

Ewing, an 11-time All-Star who was chosen as one of the 50 best players in league history, spent 15 years with the New York Knicks, averaging 22.8 points and 10.4 rebounds. He was traded to Seattle before the 2000 season and then signed as a free agent with Orlando in 2001.

The 7-footer resumes his NBA career having scored 24,815 points and grabbed 11,606 rebounds.

The No. 1 pick in the first NBA lottery draft in 1985, the 7-foot Ewing came out of Georgetown to become the Knicks' all-time leading scorer with 23,665 points. Ewing helped Georgetown reach the NCAA championship game three times, winning the national title in 1984.

In 1994, Ewing was the centerpiece of the Pat Riley-coached New York team that lost in the NBA Finals in seven games to the Rockets after taking a 3-2 lead in the series. Ewing was injured in 1999 when the team lost in the finals in five games to the San Antonio Spurs.

Ewing also is the Knicks' all-time leader in rebounds (10,759), steals (1,061), blocked shots (2,758), games (1,039), field goals made (9,260), field goals attempted (18,224), free throws made (5,126) and free throws attempted (6,904).

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 12:29:44 PM »
http://216.157.138.26/nba/rockets/news/Roc..._-104711-34.htm

Rockets Sign, Activate Ewing

Apr. 1, 2004 - The Houston Rockets have signed assistant coach Patrick Ewing to a 10-day contract, general manager Carroll Dawson announced today.
Ewing joined Jeff Van Gundy's coaching staff this season, but is best known for his 17-year playing career. The Rockets' current injury problems, most notably to Kelvin Cato, have the 41-year old center back in action.

Ewing, an 11-time All-Star who was chosen as one of the 50 best players in league history, spent 15 years with the New York Knicks, averaging 22.8 points and 10.4 rebounds. He was traded to Seattle before the 2000 season and then signed as a free agent with Orlando in 2001.

The 7-footer resumes his NBA career having scored 24,815 points and grabbed 11,606 rebounds.

The No. 1 pick in the first NBA lottery draft in 1985, the 7-foot Ewing came out of Georgetown to become the Knicks' all-time leading scorer with 23,665 points. Ewing helped Georgetown reach the NCAA championship game three times, winning the national title in 1984.

In 1994, Ewing was the centerpiece of the Pat Riley-coached New York team that lost in the NBA Finals in seven games to the Rockets after taking a 3-2 lead in the series. Ewing was injured in 1999 when the team lost in the finals in five games to the San Antonio Spurs.

Ewing also is the Knicks' all-time leader in rebounds (10,759), steals (1,061), blocked shots (2,758), games (1,039), field goals made (9,260), field goals attempted (18,224), free throws made (5,126) and free throws attempted (6,904).
OH BROTHER,  i thought van gundy WANTED to win....ok everyoe just keep an eye out for Patrick trying to score...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 12:32:50 PM »
Yeah that's the answer Van Grunty, slow the Rockets down even more.

You know about the time Pop was letting the Spurs start to score 100+ so was Van Grunty.  Lasted about 10 days.  Now i see he is again ordering them to veg on O, esp in the 4th.

What this team could be and what it is.

Sad.

Open up the O and get Yao 45 touches a game you freak.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 12:33:10 PM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 12:36:15 PM »
FYI,

Ewing has been Yao's mentor all year, not to mention Cato is on the IL.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 12:38:16 PM »
You guys are completely missing the motivation here.

The Rockets are playing the Kings on Sunday. The Kings? Remember? No interior defense at all? The team that all other contenders are dying to play because of the guarantee of unlimited chances to score in the paint?

Ewing undoubtedly begged Van Gundy to let him sign the Ten Day so he can add to his career points total against no defensive pressure. A twenty-plus point total for him is a conservative guess as to how he will do.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 12:54:18 PM »
TODAY IS APRIL FOOLS DAY PEOPLE!!!  I don't buy into it.  Here are some other memorable April Fools Day Jokes:

The Taco Liberty Bell
 In 1996 the Taco Bell Corporation announced that it had bought the Liberty Bell from the federal government and was renaming it the Taco Liberty Bell. Hundreds of outraged citizens called up the National Historic Park in Philadelphia where the bell is housed to express their anger. Their nerves were only calmed when Taco Bell revealed that it was all a joke a few hours later. The best line inspired by the affair came when White House press secretary Mike McCurry was asked about the sale, and he responded that the Lincoln Memorial had also been sold, though to a different corporation, and would now be known as the Ford Lincoln Mercury Memorial.

The Left-Handed Whopper
In 1998 Burger King published a full page advertisement in USA Today announcing the introduction of a new item to their menu: a "Left-Handed Whopper" specially designed for the 32 million left-handed Americans. According to the advertisement, the new whopper included the same ingredients as the original Whopper (lettuce, tomato, hamburger patty, etc.), but all the condiments were rotated 180 degrees for the benefit of their left-handed customers. The following day Burger King issued a follow-up release revealing that although the Left-Handed Whopper was a hoax, thousands of customers had gone into restaurants to request the new sandwich. Simultaneously, according to the press release, "many others requested their own 'right handed' version."

Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 12:57:10 PM »
TODAY IS APRIL FOOLS DAY PEOPLE!!!  I don't buy into it.  Here are some other memorable April Fools Day Jokes:

Dude, you flogging suck!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 01:11:23 PM »
FYI,

Ewing has been Yao's mentor all year, not to mention Cato is on the IL.
So Ewing is mentoring Yao and Van Gruntys offense still sucks excepting when he turns them loose on occasion.

And your point is?

FYI the Earth is round.

How bout those Yao vs Shaq stats?

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 01:57:46 PM »
Hated to burst your bubble bro. May I add...VERY WELL DONE!  :lol:  
Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 02:11:03 PM »
Hated to burst your bubble bro. May I add...VERY WELL DONE!  :lol:
If I every run into you fishing at a lake I'm gonna throw a bowling ball sized rock into the water right in front of you!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2004, 02:19:04 PM »
Now I'm not letting you take my sister on your bicycle down to McDonaldos.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 04:15:40 PM »
Should have gone with this one:

http://www.clutchfans.net/

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline NYCdog

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2004, 05:13:47 PM »
Way Out West....

I see there are alot more gullible people here who will buy into anything then at D-M.com, where I posted the Clutchfans.net April Fools Day joke there too.

I guess I shoulda posted it here instead of at D-M.com, considering it got more interesting and funny responses here........but you beat me to it.  

Only two people bought it there at D-M.com and began posting their "Dr Jack Ramsey-like" so-called breakdown analysis of Ewing's return before someone spoiled the fun and spilled the beans..........Here's an example below.

Would be mildly ironic if he somehow lasted until the season finale, and then hit a game winner to help the Rox knock of the Mavs, in what would hopefully be Nellie's last game as coach of the team. As Nellie tried prematurely to put Ewing out to pasture in NY, maybe PE will get a chance to return the favor.

Boy, those Mav fans have a ton of optimism going into the playoffs.......

But those admins at Clutchfans have out done themselves this time......simply one of the best internet April Fool's jokes pulled in history. They even had a Rockets.com page and press conference recap form Staples Center to go along with it.........well done on there part.

Last year, they scared silly evey Rocket and Chinese Yao fan by posting a bogus report that stated Yao had torn his ACL or something along those lines. That one and the reactions that poured in had me lauging for weeks..........Every Chinese fan that follws Yao nearly shit there pants that day...........

And the year before that, they turned the site into Clutchfans.net, "official fans site of the Spurs," claiming that they were abandoning the Rockets and following real winners.

Boy, those admins at Clutchfans.net, their some cruel bastards for scaring all those fans like that..........

Also this year, honorable mention goes to SpursReport.com for turning there site into "LakersReport.com"........that had all those Spur fans over there going nuts......."Hollywood Cantina" simply classic!

All good stuff........will this site pull any April Fool's pranks come this time next year????

How about Suggestions for future April Fool's pranks...........bogus report on Kobe tearing ACL, Shaq loses 150 pounds, Tim Duncan molests teammate Tony Parker, etc.........
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 05:16:55 PM by NYCdog »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2004, 05:28:24 PM »
The one I saw on another board was a report that Kobe's charges had all been dismissed.  Boy was that a good one....Lakers fans screaming that they had been right all along.  Others outraged that justice could be bought.  Etc. etc.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 05:29:26 PM »
NYC,

I'm a Clippers season ticket holder and I noticed alot of B-Day wishes and other such things on the jumbo-tron at Staples.  I got the bright idea of wishing Kate Faber a happy birthday for the game between the Clips and Lakers.  

I filled out the card and gave them my fifty bucks (FYI: I chickened out three times before this time) and the card with the message on it.  He took them both and said he was going to give me a receipt.  A differnt guy came to the window with a digusted look in his face and said "we can't do that" with a smirk.  I just said "fine, give me back my fifty bucks then cheesy poof".  He looked at me funny and gave me back the card and money.  I said "thanks Mr. Hankey".

P.S. I was a little to drunk to say the least.  ;)  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"