Author Topic: Jazz Lay an Egg  (Read 7904 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Jazz Lay an Egg
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 04:43:08 PM »
Actually...the #1 thing you want to avoid with Kobe Bryant is getting him mad.  He is one of those type of players who responds very well to being upset.  I can't even tell you how many times I've seen him get a hard foul (like from Mikey Moore a few weeks ago when he torced the Kings in the 4th to get the MVP chants at Arco) and just go off.

Getting him mad by fouling him hard is a really bad idea, seriously.

Agreed, I don't know how TP would react, if he was killing my team I would put him to the test and not worry about Lurker getting his panties in a twist.

The JailBlazers tried intimating Kobe in 2000 and it worked for a game but he ended up killing them in the end.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 11:36:56 AM »
That's the thing John Travolta, people actually DO foul the crap out of Parker.  The guy just takes his beating, converts the shot, falls to the ground, and then calmly gets up again and again AND again.

That's the whole point, he should have a difficult time getting back up and NO chance at converting the shot.  You are referring to the sissy fouls that players get for And-1 opportunities, you foul a guy hard he doesn't have a chance at even getting off a shot.

WOW...are you referring to getting kneed in the head in game 1 and then being leveled by Shaq in game 2 as you are being undercut?  Then standing up hitting free throws, making assists and just terrorizing your opponent in general?

I don't think it worked.   ;D
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 12:02:32 PM »
That's the thing John Travolta, people actually DO foul the crap out of Parker.  The guy just takes his beating, converts the shot, falls to the ground, and then calmly gets up again and again AND again.

That's the whole point, he should have a difficult time getting back up and NO chance at converting the shot.  You are referring to the sissy fouls that players get for And-1 opportunities, you foul a guy hard he doesn't have a chance at even getting off a shot.

WOW...are you referring to getting kneed in the head in game 1 and then being leveled by Shaq in game 2 as you are being undercut?  Then standing up hitting free throws, making assists and just terrorizing your opponent in general?

I don't know about that, I saw a few more teardrop shots from TP later in the game.  Just as effective as far as scoring but it helps the Suns by not forcing Shaq and Amare into fouling TP.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »

To tell you the truth I was VERY surprised last night.  I thought after Shaq destroyed his rib cage that he would kind of shy away.   Getting up and making FTs is one thing.  It was how on 3-4 trips in a row Parker went right around Nash then went straight to the basket converting each time that should be mentioned.  That is exactly what he needed to do.  I thought it was an excellent answer to the hard foul.  Parker has really come a long way as a player.  This is not the same Parker who didn't have a legit jumper and would hide in his shell if teams were being physical like he was in say 2003-2004.  Credit to Parker for improving his game and credit to that hack of a coach Greg Popavich who has molded the young PG into a seasoned all-star and top playoff performer  ;)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 03:57:20 PM »
To tell you the truth I was VERY surprised last night.  I thought after Shaq destroyed his rib cage that he would kind of shy away.

Why?

I've said it before, I'll say it again, and apparently I'll have to KEEP saying it for the benefit of both our W's.  Tony Parker's functional strength is amazing, off the charts.  It doesn't matter how hard or how often that kid is knocked down, he isn't going to stop going strong to the basket, period.  I've been watching Parker get absolutely pummeled for a good 4 years now, and his game has yet to change because of it.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 04:08:03 PM »
To tell you the truth I was VERY surprised last night.  I thought after Shaq destroyed his rib cage that he would kind of shy away.

Why?

I've said it before, I'll say it again, and apparently I'll have to KEEP saying it for the benefit of both our W's.  Tony Parker's functional strength is amazing, off the charts.  It doesn't matter how hard or how often that kid is knocked down, he isn't going to stop going strong to the basket, period.  I've been watching Parker get absolutely pummeled for a good 4 years now, and his game has yet to change because of it.

You must have missed out on a few Lakers/Spurs series then because one of two ways the Lakers continued to beat the Spurs

1) Double Tim Duncan and make other people shoot jumpers (specifically Tony Parker)

2) Play physical with Parker and he doesn't attack as much.

I am not saying that he gets hit and rolls over to die but his eagerness to go right back at the players in the paint is not something he's always done.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 08:02:55 PM »

Why?

You must have missed out on a few Lakers/Spurs series then because one of two ways the Lakers continued to beat the Spurs

1) Double Tim Duncan and make other people shoot jumpers (specifically Tony Parker)

2) Play physical with Parker and he doesn't attack as much.

I am not saying that he gets hit and rolls over to die but his eagerness to go right back at the players in the paint is not something he's always done.

Sorry koast but in this case you are pulling a Randy.  You are not judging Parker OVER the past 4 years.  You are judging the Parker of 4 years AGO. 

But originally you said...
It was how on 3-4 trips in a row Parker went right around Nash then went straight to the basket converting each time that should be mentioned.  That is exactly what he needed to do.  I thought it was an excellent answer to the hard foul.  Parker has really come a long way as a player.  This is not the same Parker who didn't have a legit jumper and would hide in his shell if teams were being physical like he was in say 2003-2004.  Credit to Parker for improving his game and credit to that hack of a coach Greg Popavich who has molded the young PG into a seasoned all-star and top playoff performer 

You were right in this post about his development though.  It wasn't the hard fouls that stopped him in the Lakers series 4 years ago.  It was that the Lakers clogged the lane and aggressively doubled Duncan.  Then Parker and the rest of the Spurs became jumpshooters or stand and watch.  Parker isn't stupid enough to drive into a clogged lane.  He attacks from different angles and really dodges a lot of contact.  Skander is right in that despite his appearance he has amazing body strength.

Now he picks when to attack the lane, usually in transition.  He is a one man fast break sometimes going through 2-3 defenders if they are slow getting back.  And he always has had the speed off the pick and roll to get to the rim and the strength to finish.  But he has worked on his jumper with the Spurs shooting coach and now has a reliable 17-20 footer.  That makes him even more dangerous in the pick and roll with Duncan.  Like that late shot the other night after Shaq switched onto Parker and just dropped back.  Parker will kill the Suns with that shot alone.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 08:33:29 AM »
Layed a big one last night!

Down by one.  Tell me how its possible that Deron Williams missed a WIDE OPEN Carlos Boozer, not once, but TWICE in the closing seconds.  I really hope the kid isn't buying into his hype and trying to be the hero in these situation.  I really like Deron but it pains me to say that loss falls squarely on his shoulders.     

P.S. I'm pre-empting anyone that is going to reply that the play or two before Carlos bumbled the ball out of bounds and therefore couldn't be trusted.  I say you still give your 25 pt scoring forward the chance to convert the dunk/layup for the win.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 09:07:05 AM »
It did kinda look like Deron was in herohype mode. ::)  Hard to believe he missed Boozer.

After the absolute gifts given by the Rockets in the last minute?  Tmac gets an offensive foul away from the ball when all the Rocks had to do was milk clock at :47 and get off a decent shot attempt as they lead by 4.  As Addleman continues to leave injured and 50% at best (40%, 30%?) Battier in  ??? ??? :D

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 09:28:48 AM »
Layed a big one last night!

Down by one.  Tell me how its possible that Deron Williams missed a WIDE OPEN Carlos Boozer, not once, but TWICE in the closing seconds.  I really hope the kid isn't buying into his hype and trying to be the hero in these situation.  I really like Deron but it pains me to say that loss falls squarely on his shoulders.     

P.S. I'm pre-empting anyone that is going to reply that the play or two before Carlos bumbled the ball out of bounds and therefore couldn't be trusted.  I say you still give your 25 pt scoring forward the chance to convert the dunk/layup for the win.

I'm glad someone else saw that. I was screaming at the TV "BOOZER! BOOZER!" I don't know what was going through Deron's mind there. Very frustrating. Anyway, IMO the Jazz gave the game away much earlier by making only 20 FTs in 33 attempts. I'm not too worried about the series in general. We know we can beat them wherever we have to. We just have to execute. Hopefully Sloan and Boozer took the young guy aside and explained the facts of life because I bet I could have blocked that weak-arse shot attempt. But I still have a hard time "blaming" Deron for the loss. He did put down a 28/10 last night, and single-handlely kept the Jazz close in the first two quarters.

I do, however, like to see us scrap our way back into a game the way we did. We were down 7 with just over a minute and by all rights should have won the game.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 09:45:16 AM »
My newly beloved Jazz started slow and couldn't get over the hump at the end.  I completely agree the Williams missed Boozer on one of the last plays, instead kicking it to a well covered Korver on the wing.  As to the very last play I can understand him wanting to make sure a shot was taken with so little time left on the clock.  

Which brings us to Carl Landry.  Props to him for showing some serious toughness and energy out there.  You have to respect a guy who loses a tooth and promptly runs down a rebound.  Memo and the other front line players for the Jazz will have really step it up to keep Landry and Scola off the offensive glass.  I think I can hear Sloan yelling at them about that all the way from Salt Lake.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 09:48:20 AM »
Which brings us to Carl Landry.  Props to him for showing some serious toughness and energy out there.  You have to respect a guy who loses a tooth and promptly runs down a rebound.  Memo and the other front line players for the Jazz will have really step it up to keep Landry and Scola off the offensive glass.  I think I can hear Sloan yelling at them about that all the way from Salt Lake.
  Very impressed with Scola, Laundy and the Rockets offensive boards.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 10:21:18 AM »
Jazz were excellent at home but isn't this the 3rd game they've dropped recently at home against a playoff-caliber basketball team?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 10:38:44 AM »
I think the Jazz and Rockets are confused by the seedings.  They thought that the 4th seed had homecourt and the Jazz went out and promptly defended it.  Now the Rockets as the 5th seed feel they are at home and are defending their court.  I trust Sloan to help his team figure this out faster than Adelman does for his team.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
The Jazz go 48 minutes of basketball, AT HOME, and they knock out only ONE TOOTH? Sloan is slipping.

But as I have said all year about my Jazz, they are tough at home and will prove that next game. What true blue, diehard Jazz fan would not really want
Williams with the ball in that situation. Sure, he should have passed it - he could have passed it. But basketball legends are not born by passing the ball in those situations.

McGrady did his one out of four "Big Deal" game, so now he can go back into his self-depreciating funk.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."