Author Topic: Question for REAL Spurs fans, do the Spurs beat themselves?  (Read 2310 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Question for REAL Spurs fans, do the Spurs beat themselves?
« on: April 13, 2008, 08:00:52 PM »
The Lakers have lost some games that they should have dominated.  I don't know how many times I've screamed at the TV yelling at the Lakers to STOP shooting 3's.    The Laker players seem to think that a 3 point shot will fix everything, the Lakers have a terrible habit of shooting themselve out of games and then the defense is not good enough to keep them in the game.

Watching the game today, Lakers vs Spurs, the Spurs don't seem to "lose" games, they get "beat".  By that I mean the Spurs don't give games away for the most part.  I have only seen about a dozen games so I don't know if that is really the case so that is why I'm asking.  I just get so frustated with the Lakers playing like JWill used to for the Kings, taking horrible shots at the most inappropriate times.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question for REAL Spurs fans, do the Spurs beat themselves?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 09:42:23 AM »
I know the Spurs have beaten themselves in some of our losses, buying into the hype against boston and lsing our lead for example, I think Horry was the one who stated that the Spurs need to get mentally tougher.  Which I can see is the case in some games.  They may be older, but they don't seem to play like a Champion, which I never understood.   If you win the title and start a new season - your still the Champs until beaten - but the Spurs have always had the mindset that you win a title and then start at the same level as every other team.  The recent Pistons Championship team had the right mindset, IMO, they were a little cocky, but they knew they were the champs and played like it for the most part.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 10:07:48 AM »
Assuming the Spurs are going to get Bob Horry and SuperManu back, bracketwise the Spurs loss to the Lakers may not end up being disasterous at all.
The Lakers could end up facing nemesis Golden State, then indeed may be 3-1 in the regular season vs Utah, but should they meet in Round 2, i look for Utah to take a lot out of any team.

Meanwhile the Spurs appear to be headed for a first round matchup vs Houston or Phoenix.  Props to Houston and all but i can't see the Rockets continuing their streak in the playoffs.
Phoenix has a huge advantage with DiAntoni over Pop, but Spurs roster has prevailed in the past and should this year also.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 10:26:06 AM »
Yeah I can see where that 5-9 record against playoff bound teams since March 1st inspires serious confidence in the Spurs chances. I also see where that 8-3 record the Lakers are sporting over the same period should have us gnashing our teeth in despair.
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 10:34:42 AM »
^^ were you at Dallas' victory parade after last years Round 1?  :D

Reg season and playoffs are two different animals.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 05:05:36 PM »
Lurker and the gang should boot you from the spurs bandwagon for saying Dantoni is a better coach then Pop.  Seriously you say moronic things about the Lakers but wow...

Dantoni isn't even a good coach IMO.  Pop is and even tho he makes mistakes, he's still a GREAT coach.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 05:54:53 PM »
Lurker and the gang should boot you from the spurs bandwagon for saying Dantoni is a better coach then Pop.  Seriously you say moronic things about the Lakers but wow...

Dantoni isn't even a good coach IMO.  Pop is and even tho he makes mistakes, he's still a GREAT coach.

No need to boot, he has already begun his leaping training.  Reality is ready for a HUGE jump, maybe all the way to the EC.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 06:19:10 PM »

I laughed when I read that.  There are only two active coaches I would put on level with (or above) Pop...PJ and Riley.  Sloan is close but lacks the hardware which puts him at the top of the next level that includes Adelman & Saunders among others.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 08:07:17 PM »
I figured I'd get a rise out of The Boring Board and it's old predictable responses.
Pop hugely trumps D Antoni in the playoffs.
As to his Pops *greatness*, WoW has said in writing the Spurs would have won 5 straight with PJ.

Was a great defensive coach, 2005 playoffs being the pinnacle.
He might have to earn it this year with less coatails to ride.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 10:22:22 PM »
I figured I'd get a rise out of The Boring Board and it's old predictable responses.
Pop hugely trumps D Antoni in the playoffs.
As to his Pops *greatness*, WoW has said in writing the Spurs would have won 5 straight with PJ.

Was a great defensive coach, 2005 playoffs being the pinnacle.
He might have to earn it this year with less coatails to ride.

You are hilarious -- you go back and forth more than anyone I know.

The Spurs are great -- Pop can't coach (even though he has far more titles than you ever will) -- Bardawg is the bomb -- Finley is horrible -- Fabs is going to be AWESOME (do you REALLY want me to pull up those old posts?) -- why isn't Pop playing Thomas instead of Fabs because it's obvious that Fabs can't guard Shaq one-on-one (yeah, like Thomas could) -- I can go on and on and on.  You are such a Spurs fan until they start doing poorly and then you get in position to jump off the bandwagon.  Oh, I'm sure you will have a good excuse for the jump "I just can't stand what Pop is doing to this team."  Yeah, we get it!  So whose bandwagon is next?  Boston?  That bandwagon isn't going to be around very long -- better be careful on which bandwagon to jump on -- you want to make sure it's not headed downhill -- there's a cliff down there and it's a very long drop to the bottom.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 10:59:01 PM »
Randolph,
I think your puffiness and irritability is about to get worse.  Golden State is coming back big time vs Phoenix.  Meaning your nightmare #1 Lakers vs #8 Golden might come true.
WooHoo!

Oh and in the answering your boring redundant points, Pop is a great defensive coach and was a great personell draft input guy.  Offensively he has always sucked.  I havent changed a bit.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 12:24:55 AM »
Fabs is going to be AWESOME (do you REALLY want me to pull up those old posts?)
Oh please do.  Make that automatic whenever you misquote me.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 12:54:58 AM »
I think your puffiness and irritability is about to get worse.  Golden State is coming back big time vs Phoenix.  Meaning your nightmare #1 Lakers vs #8 Golden might come true.
WooHoo!

Well, so much for you being right about this -- or anything else.

Fabs is going to be AWESOME (do you REALLY want me to pull up those old posts?)
Oh please do.  Make that automatic whenever you misquote me.

I just filtered out and read the good parts.  This being the best.

Oberto's basketball IQ and passing ability will ease the transition, too. He's a non-shooting version of Robert Horry, a smart man who knows how to win. At times next season, when Oberto is setting hard picks and catching the ball with soft hands, he will be better than Nazr Mohammed.

Scola is accustomed to scoring, for example. If he had arrived and found himself with few minutes and fewer shots, would he have reacted well? Oberto, described as a great teammate, won't be a problem.

For those who think he is just a "14 and 8 Euro srub", i can't wait. :up:

Oberto.  64% from field.  Passer.  Rebounder.  Pick setter.  Knock loose balls away.  Tips passes.  Be in the right spot on D.  His role on Spanish was to be a #3 option scorer.  Beyond all that, what the writer said about GNob being his best friend.  Having another Argentine/EuroLeaguer whom you have played a bunch of hoop with.  Its got to help. 

Oberto is going to help.  Timmy Dunker is going to play even less minutes now.  Thats a good thing.  Pop is seeing the light and i couldn't be happier.      Oberto will allow Dunker to either

a) slide over to PF while Oberto is on the floor

Bee) rest on the bench while Obie plays center.

I predict when called upon to score he will.

Fabs Oberto was sat by Pop again and it almost cost the Spurs again.  Rasho instead of Fabs. :nonono:   

It is true that Pop is again not listening to me as much as he should and is playing Duncan more minutes then i would like.  But then that is already changing as we see the Fabs minutes increase, now isnt it

Is that enough for you?  TD isn't playing less minutes because of Fabs.  Fabs is shooting a great fg% (mainly because he gets to the hoop for junk basketball because TD is getting double-teamed) but in almost 20 minutes, he is averaging 5 points and 5 rebounds.  He blocks .3 shots per game.  Yeah, those stats are lighting up the league.  It puts a great deal of fear into the rest of the league seeing Oberto in a Spurs uniform. 

SAS  Parker-Ginobili-Bowen-Oberto-Duncan 143  +14 19  13  59% 1.08 1.03 .539 .480 +21 49% 5% +5

SAS  Parker-Ginobili-Bowen-Thomas-Duncan 109  +35 8  4  66% 1.10 0.99 .537 .486 +13 56% 3% +15

Interesting, isn't it -- put Oberto in the line-up with Parker, Manu, Bowen and TD and they have a +5 margin -- put Thomas in instead of Fabs and look what happens -- a +15 margin. 

It's funny -- not only are the Spurs' winning percentage better without Fabs but this line-up: Parker-Ginobili-Finley-Bowen-Duncan has a better winning percentage than Parker-Manu-Bowen-Oberto-Duncan.

You definately knew what you were talking about when you touted what a difference this guy would make for the Spurs.  After all, you weren't talking about what you had read -- you saw him play!!!  ::)  ::)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 01:11:51 AM »

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 08:13:15 AM »
So Fabs doing the funky chicken is your way of a rebut? 

2nd verse same as first.