Author Topic: The end is near and the Kings are dead.....  (Read 12610 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The end is near and the Kings are dead.....
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 12:42:58 PM »
Can't help but think about how wussy the NBA has got all around when I hear about guys like Beno crying to the media about comments from a coach.  All the older players and coaches have stories about how coaches would never compliment you.  They would never be "nice" to you.  That wasn't to hurt your feeling it was to motivate you to prove them wrong.  Now instead of trying to make your coach look foolish with hard work they run to the reporters.  Which in turn don't write quality articles but more like gossip columns these days.

But back to the Kings....

Is it safe to say that Petrie's "mad skills" as a GM have tapered off?  There is a lot of question marks for the squad.  Not just at point guard or in the post.  Who is going to be deemed the leader of the squad by Theus?  What are they going to do with Ron Ron? Or better yet will he stay?  Another question I have is does Theus have a true direction for the squad in general?  When Adleman was there it had direction and was a well oiled machine.  I know he just got there but what is this squad trying to do?  Are they going to become a more defesive minded team like the Van Gundy Rockets?   Do they want to try to cause problems on the offensive end like the Warriors?   Right now I see him trying to do both.  Really only the Pistons, Celtics, and Spurs currently can do that and that's because they have THREE guys who are top notch.  The club seems to be going in the direction of being solid but not strong enough on either side of the ball.  That just will not cut it in the West for the next 2-3 years.

I was trying to think of a half way decent compliment to woo you to the Laker Nation.  Along the lines of "you are the Sean Connery of Phillyarena because even though you are a grey, bitter old man you are just as cool as you were in your 30s when Goldfinger came out" but then I realize not only was that not very funny/good, no matter what is said you rather jump into a pit of butter knives then root for the Lakers.

May I suggest the Jazz?  They are a fun team to watch and not really talked about heading into the playoffs.  That I think might be dangerous.  The Spurs already are well repped and I think the bandwagon is actually a grey Vespa so you wouldn't fit anyways.

First off, westkoast, if the a**kissing is deemed worthy, I would certainly jump onto the Laker bandwagon and be a true warrior and wield my butter knife with pride over my purple Kobe jersey. Speaking of whom, have you seen his latest commercial? Not even sure if he is advertising the car or the sneakers, (a 'silent' video of the shoot was shown on Sportscenter last night) but in it, he is with his teammate, I think it is Turief (sp), and he jumps OVER the moving car as it speeds towards him. He does it twice, then does a very phony looking belly bump with his supposedly 'loyal' friend Turief, as they laugh about what Kobe had just done.

The shoes are pretty sweet.  This maybe a shocker but....I have them!!!  They are very light weight and support your ankles well.  Tonight I am going to try to jump cars as well.  When I land in the hospital I will blame it on TV's influence like all the other 12-13 year olds my age who get in trouble for shooting up schools, robbing people, etc.

As for the commercial or as I like to deem it the 'Hay I REALLY do actually like some of my teammates now' clip.  While Turiaf and Bryant are really good friends (as in they actually hang out a lot outside of the court) , is it hard not to be cynical.  Even as a Laker fan.  Either way it sends a message that at least he THINKS about his teammates lol
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 12:45:20 PM »
As a supporter of a team that has been the recipient of the Jazz "thuggery", I have a strong dislike for the team - from THAT side of things.

But as a bandwagon defector, waiting for that perfect a**kissing springboard to jump on the UJ steamroller wagon, I promise to be a pit bull Jazz supporter that even Jerry Sloan would want to reign in. 
Will you also live at the compound and loyally stick to the arrangements lest a raid take place?

I already have picked out my NRA badge, and have joined a Survival Cult in anticipation for either the Jazz or Spurs coming through with a worthy offer.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 01:35:52 PM »

The shoes are pretty sweet.  This maybe a shocker but....I have them!!!  They are very light weight and support your ankles well.  Tonight I am going to try to jump cars as well.  When I land in the hospital I will blame it on TV's influence like all the other 12-13 year olds my age who get in trouble for shooting up schools, robbing people, etc.

As for the commercial or as I like to deem it the 'Hay I REALLY do actually like some of my teammates now' clip.  While Turiaf and Bryant are really good friends (as in they actually hang out a lot outside of the court) , is it hard not to be cynical.  Even as a Laker fan.  Either way it sends a message that at least he THINKS about his teammates lol

When you have to shoot a commercial to put a spin on your 'good' relationships with teammates......

Sooooo, you were a finalist on that Jackass show. Makes one wonder how the youths of today manage to survive to become the losers of tomorrow.......
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »

When you have to shoot a commercial to put a spin on your 'good' relationships with teammates......

Sooooo, you were a finalist on that Jackass show. Makes one wonder how the youths of today manage to survive to become the losers of tomorrow.......

....you need to hire a better PR firm if you think your getting your Gnutella money back.

Thanks to the baby boomer generation having so many  lazy parents in their ranks the 'youths' lost before ever popping out.  They don't need to survive to reach that mark.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 02:52:40 PM »
Allow me to make my case JoMal, first off, I hope you and your wife have a wonderful time in the Big Easy, it has always been one of my favorite cities because Jazz and Blues eminate from every Cajun juke joint in town, how cool is that? And that is not butt kissing, New Orleans is a great place for you 2 to get away from what you're dealing with if even for only a few days.

You need to jump on that Laker bandwagon because, although I tease you for being so much older than I am, we are actually only 2-3 years apart I think, and we old timers, who remember real basketball, and real music, need to stick together against all these snot nosed kids in SA and Philly. Besides, SA already has one bandwagoner, who may very well jump to Philly and support Minnie Me anyway once the Spurs go down in the second round, and Utah deserves no more representation than they have now, their market makes SA look like New York, this doesn't even count the 2 wife minimum required to root for them. And as much as we diss Sacramento, it is still Cali and one turncoat from the OC is enough on this board. Additionally, if anyone can bring an unreasoning hyper biased opinion coupled with a terrible bitter sarcasm to LA if they fall early, you are definately the king of those qualities on this board.

Come over to the dark side JoMal, YOU HAVE NO IDEA THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dan

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 02:55:57 PM »
Will you also live at the compound and loyally stick to the arrangements lest a raid take place?

The board held out longer than I expected.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 02:56:42 PM »
JoMal, one thing to remember . . .

26 free throws in one quarter

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 03:08:12 PM »
JoMal, one thing to remember . . .

26 free throws in one quarter

JoMal one more thing to remember, Boozer and company baiting Artest and playing thug ball.
Dan

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 03:34:50 PM »
JoMal one more thing to remember, Boozer and company baiting Artest and playing thug ball.

;D They sure did. They got him good.  ;D Of course, he pummeled them the next time they met.

Anyway, JoMal . . . you have to decide what meant the most to you. Ron Artest being goaded into flipping out. OR A western conference title and finals berth being snatched away in one fateful (or fated? or fixed?) fourth quarter. DAAANG! Now that's what I call alliteration!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 04:03:34 PM »
all these snot nosed kids in SA

HEY!  I resemble...err resent that remark.  No wait, I appreciate the compliment.  Rapidly closing in on the "new 30" this year could be a downer.  But to have some wizened old fart call me snotty-nosed has brightened my day and forced me to postpone the delivery of my walker.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 04:11:50 PM »
But to have some wizened old fart call me snotty-nosed has brightened my day and forced me to postpone the delivery of my walker.

At least you called me "wizened", now take the advise of someone almost enough to be as wise as you JoMal, come over to the dark side, come over to the dark side, come over to the dark side...
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 04:15:56 PM »
Allow me to make my case JoMal, first off, I hope you and your wife have a wonderful time in the Big Easy, it has always been one of my favorite cities because Jazz and Blues eminate from every Cajun juke joint in town, how cool is that? And that is not butt kissing, New Orleans is a great place for you 2 to get away from what you're dealing with if even for only a few days.

You need to jump on that Laker bandwagon because, although I tease you for being so much older than I am, we are actually only 2-3 years apart I think, and we old timers, who remember real basketball, and real music, need to stick together against all these snot nosed kids in SA and Philly. Besides, SA already has one bandwagoner, who may very well jump to Philly and support Minnie Me anyway once the Spurs go down in the second round, and Utah deserves no more representation than they have now, their market makes SA look like New York, this doesn't even count the 2 wife minimum required to root for them. And as much as we diss Sacramento, it is still Cali and one turncoat from the OC is enough on this board. Additionally, if anyone can bring an unreasoning hyper biased opinion coupled with a terrible bitter sarcasm to LA if they fall early, you are definately the king of those qualities on this board.

Come over to the dark side JoMal, YOU HAVE NO IDEA THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off, and this goes for Ted as well, I need to, at least for the next several months as the playoffs progress, wipe clean the past.

No reference to 26 free throws or missed free throws will influence me. No past thuggery references against my Kings will be recalled for biased purposes. No sting must remain of the Webber trade for Kenny Thomas. No dropping of unwanted point guards who get picked up by a mediocre lottery team will be acknowledged.

And even though I originate from the Philadelphia area, the Cali force is strong in JoMal and the Texans tend to make fun of us to the point where they sound defensive of their own place on the planet, if Texas even qualifies for that honor. <nope, slippage.....must not allow bias........turning blue......ah....better now>  >:(

That said, I have to admire Laker Fan's approach to the suggestion of us combating agism on this board in a united front, alluding to similar rememberances of real basketball, and REAL musical times. That is very persuasive......until he only mentions the snotnosed SA and Philly hellheathens..What of your own, Laker Fan, possibly the worst of the lot? Would you agree to unite against one of your own Laker posters, who wishes elders like us would vanish from the board in a mist of geritol?

Now there is a dilemma for you to consider.

As for Ted's argument, I await a more persuasive missive from you that discusses how JoMal would be used by the Utah contingent in a way unique to his talents.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 04:19:20 PM »
For the record I don't mind older LAKER fans.  It is the old Kings fans that I have an issue with.  If you joined up with us you wouldn't hear any old jokes because all Laker fans are "down"

See as an old Kings fan you think 'down' means depressed but if you were a young hip Laker fan you would realize what context I put it in...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 04:22:13 PM by westkoast »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 04:28:22 PM »
For the record I don't mind older LAKER fans.  It is the old Kings fans that I have an issue with.  If you joined up with us you wouldn't hear any old jokes because all Laker fans are "down"

See as an old Kings fan you think 'down' means depressed but if you were a young hip Laker fan you would realize what context I put it in...

....as in "put down", like an old dog?

Laker Fan, he is not helping.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 04:31:12 PM »
Sorry JoMal, but Philly fans don't roll out the carpet for anyone.  If you want to root for the Sixers there's room on the wagon, and plenty to drink, but don't hold your breath waiting for an invite.  Nobody gives away the good wine for free!

LOL!  That's like Vanilla Ice standing at the door to his concert telling you you're not worthy to come inside!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"