Author Topic: Who wins the awards other than MVP this year?  (Read 6001 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Who wins the awards other than MVP this year?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 03:48:11 PM »
Rookie of the Year:  Durant -- he has been that good this year (although Horford has had a great year and is close.  Scola has come on in the 2nd half of the season and been fantastic but he had a slow start).

Sixth Man of the Year Award: Well, Manu has this all wrapped up if you count him as a 6th man -- I'm not sure how many games you have to start in order to get removed from consideration.

Coach of the Year:  Byron Scott, IMO.  He and Paul have led this squad to overachieve.

Most Improved Player of the Year:  I'm going to choose an unlikely candidate -- Hedo Turkoglu.  Hedo is having an outstanding year -- while his minutes are up, his stats reflect even more than just the added minutes.  He is definately having more of an impact than Rashard Lewis is -- perhaps defenses are focusing on Howard and Shard first allowing Hedo more space.  But his rebound, ppg, assists and 3pt% have all gone up -- he is having a career year and it's showing in the Magic W/L column.  

Defensive Player of the Year:  I'm going with KG -- not so much because of individual stats but because of what Boston has done as a team defensively and KG is the anchor.

I agree with the exception of DPOY, I don't know who I would go with on that one.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 04:22:42 PM »
ROY: Kevin Duh-Doo-Run-Run-Run Duh-Du-rant-rant.  Hats off to Horford, though. 

COY: I love me some Rick Adelman, but I just gotta go with B. Scott.  NO atop the WC, who wouldn't have laughed that notion away had you told them that fact coming in.

DPOY:  KG, and is there EVEN a close second . . . I mean besides Tim Duncan <sorry Lurker>

MIP:  If Turkey Glue isn't your man here, quit slinging crack rocks.  This is the most braindead pick since Portland had the #2 draft slot in 1984.  (hey there Ziggy :P)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 04:28:12 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 06:12:07 PM »
ROY: Kevin Duh-Doo-Run-Run-Run Duh-Du-rant-rant.  Hats off to Horford, though.

COY: I love me some Rick Adelman, but I just gotta go with B. Scott.  NO atop the WC, who wouldn't have laughed that notion away had you told them that fact coming in.

DPOY:  KG, and is there EVEN a close second . . . I mean besides Tim Duncan <sorry Lurker>

MIP:  If Turkey Glue isn't your man here, quit slinging crack rocks.  This is the most braindead pick since Portland had the #2 draft slot in 1984.  (hey there Ziggy :P)

Durant
Byron Scott, though Adelman would be a good pick
KG
Travis Outlaw.  Most of you haven't watched him that much, but if you want to talk about true improvement there is absolutely no question
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 06:16:33 PM »
Byron Scott has to get COY.  Adleman did a heck of a job but their defense, which was put together by Van Gundy, is really what made them a force for a while.   The Hornets went from 9th to 1st.  Excellent job by B Scott.

DPOY..KG no brainer.

MIP..Again Hedo like everyone else said.  He has really suprised me this year.  I always looked at him as a bootleg Peja from his Kings days but he has stepped it up a huge amount.

ROY..Durant barely edging over Scola.  Durant's stats are going to be better regardless because he is the main focus of the Sonics right now.  Scola came in for an injured Yao and played GREAT.  Props to Reality (yea I said it!) for using his crystal ball to pick this guy before he hit the hard wood in the USA.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 10:29:58 PM »
Travis Outlaw.  Most of you haven't watched him that much, but if you want to talk about true improvement there is absolutely no question

Au contraire . . . I've had the "Outlaw" on my fantasy team most of the year.  I'm a big fan, but your going to tell me his improvement is more impressive than Hedo's transformation to stud.  Kevin, put the sling down! 

Those people from Portland, I tell ya, wouldn't know an obvious choice if it came up and bit them.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 01:12:46 AM »

Au contraire . . . I've had the "Outlaw" on my fantasy team most of the year.  I'm a big fan, but your going to tell me his improvement is more impressive than Hedo's transformation to stud.  Kevin, put the sling down! 

Those people from Portland, I tell ya, wouldn't know an obvious choice if it came up and bit them.

Not making the claim that Travis is better than Hedo, just that he has made a greater relative improvement.  See below, I bolded the one who improved the most.

Hedo Turkoglu
Improvement in PPG from previous career high  -  32.2%
Improvement in PPG over past 3 year average  -  39.7%
Improvement in FG% over previous career high  -  0.0% no change
Improvement in 3pt % over last 3 year average  -  1.4% absolute improvement
Improvement in FT% over last 3 year average  -  (0.4%)  absolute decline
Improvement in Rbs over best year last 3 years  -  37.2%
Improvement in Ast over best year last 3 years  -  53.1%

Travis Outlaw
Improvement in PPG from previous career high  -  39.6%
Improvement in PPG over past 3 year average  -  91.4%

Improvement in FG% over last year  -  0.1% absolute decline
Improvement in 3pt % over last 3 year average  -  10% absolute improvement
Improvement in FT% over last 3 year average  -  (0.2%)  absolute decline
Improvement in Rbs over best year last 3 years  -  40.6%
Improvement in Ast over best year last 3 years  -  62.5%

I can't find the actual stat, but up until just a week or two ago he was leading the league in 4th qtr points for non-starters in the NBA.

The award is not "the best player who has improved a lot" it is "most improved player".
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 11:34:03 AM »

Hedo Turkoglu

Travis Outlaw

I can't find the actual stat, but up until just a week or two ago he was leading the league in 4th qtr points for non-starters in the NBA.

The award is not "the best player who has improved a lot" it is "most improved player".

Beno Udruh

Improvement in PPG from previous career high  -  215.25%
Improvement in PPG over past 3 year average  -  242.68%
Improvement in FG% over previous career high  -  0.4%
Improvement in FG% over last 3 year average  -  3.63% absolute percentage improvement
Improvement in 3pt % over last 3 year average  -  4.77% absolute percentage improvement
Improvement in FT% over last 3 year average  -  4.37% absolute percentage improvement
Improvement in Rbs over best year last 3 years  -  309.1%
Improvement in Ast over best year last 3 years  -  258.8%
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 02:03:27 PM »

Not making the claim that Travis is better than Hedo, just that he has made a greater relative improvement.  See below, I bolded the one who improved the most.

Hedo Turkoglu

Travis Outlaw

Some other numbers to look at
Hedo
20% increase in minutes played
19 pp 36 minutes
Increase in p/36 minutes compared to previous career high  negative 0.2
Increase over last year 23.4%
Increase in rebound rate  18%
Increase in 3 pointers attempted  11%, with a 1.4% absolute improvement
Change in turnovers 61% increase from 1.8 to 2.3 to 2.9

Travis
Increase in minutes played 16%
Points per 36 minutes 17.9
Increase in in p/36 minutes compared to previous career high  18%
Increase in rebound rate  18%
Increase in 3 pointers attempted 71% with an improvement from 27% to 40%, or 13% absolute imporvement
Change in turnovers  1.0 to 1.3 per game

Hedo's standard deviation of absolute points per game was 6.31
Travis's standard deviation of absolute points per game was 6.26
That means Travis was slightly more consistent in his performance.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 02:08:46 PM »
So far all offensive numbers.
Is defense part of the equation?

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 02:26:25 PM »
So far all offensive numbers.

Don't get Kevin started on that, especially since Travis Outlaw is a better defender than Hedo Turkoglu. 

I understand that purely from a mathematical analysis, Travis Outlaw has undergone quite an improvement, larger than Hedo's.  Yet this stems from the inherent bias that rewards a minor role player ascending to Top 5 option, before rewarding the solid role players that ascend to team leader--a #1 or #2 guy on a team. 

Most year's I would agree with the selection of that minor player carving out an important and productive niche.  This year, though, Hedo becoming Orlando's offensive initiator, most versatile scorer, and best clutch performer overshadows Outlaw's ascension to important role player.  I don't think Hedo should be punished for being a solid role player in the past.

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 02:39:39 PM »
Not that I think he is in the running for MVP award, but does it seem strange to anyone else just how little press Amare Stoudemire is getting.  When he had the year 3 years ago, people were anointing him one the very few dominant big men for the next decade.  By almost all accounts, he has surpassed that year and is having his finest season as a pro, yet nothing from anybody.  Weird. 

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 02:41:07 PM »
I don't think this is a fair comparison -- Hedo is currently a starter and has been in the past -- Outlaw has had a great year and vast improvement but he is still coming off the bench.

Hedo: (as a starter in his 8th year in the NBA)
 FG% - best of career - 45%
 3pt% - 2nd best of career - 40%
 Reb - best of career - 5.8
 Ass - best of career - 4.9
 PPG - best of career - 19.7

Outlaw: (coming off the bench in his 5th year in the NBA)
 FG% - 4th best of career - 43%
 3pt% - best of career - 40%
 Reb - best of career - 4.5
 Ass - best of career - 1.3
 PPG - best of career - 13.2

Outlaw deserves props but I still think that Hedo has him beat.  Hedo plays more minutes but he has earned them this year.  I think it's harder to get points as a starting unit than a bench unit.  That's why I think Hedo deserves the nod.

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email

AA Mil

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 02:32:17 PM »
Come on Ziggy -- you can't choose the whole Blazer team for Most Improved -- it's supposed to be one player!

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2008, 04:19:26 PM »
COY----Sloan, not that my man Scott doesn't deserve consideration but I take the opposing view that Utah?s phenomenal home record offsets their substandard road numbers, that and despite that road record, they have been dangerous and competitive all year long, Sloan?s team is a legit WC title contender, more than NO, and Scott has done an incredible job. This was indeed a tough choice, I love Byron Scott.

ROY----Durant, case closed.

MIP----Why all the fuss? Hedo has become what he always could have been, a solid 2-3 option on a pretty healthy front court, more overall impact on Orlando?s success than Lewis and a great pressure reliever for Howard. His PPG and assists are notable and he is thriving in Orlando?s offense.

DPY----Tough call, I hate all things Boston but Garnett cannot be ignored. I would like to say Camby but Kevin has had more of an impact on Boston?s defense and I don?t understand why a team with Kenyon Martin AND Marcus Camby are battling for 8th spot in the West, so I guess I go with Garnett.

6th Man----DUH!!!! (That?s how Manu will react when they give him the award)
Dan