Author Topic: MVP race comming down to the wire  (Read 6832 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
MVP race comming down to the wire
« on: April 07, 2008, 08:42:06 AM »
It's going to be a touch call between KG, CP3 and Kobe. 

KG is part of the biggest turn around in NBA history but the problem is he is PART of it.  KG is playing alongside two other all-stars and despite their impressive record they are in the VERY weak EC, you could knock off 5 to 10 wins if they were playing in the WC.  Still, KG is constantly given credit in the media about the "attitude" in Boston.  KG is very deserving.

Been keeping an eye on the Hornets and they have done a great job of staying steady down the home stretch.  CP3 has a legit shot at the MVP, especially if they finish atop the WC standings.  Looking at the roster I do not know how they are doing it in the WC, from what I've seen CP3 is making the team 100X greater than the sum of it's parts.

Kobe has had a major turn around this season in getting the most out of his team mates.  He has really made the Laker players pull their weight throughout the season.  It looks like PJ has finally gotten through to Kobe and has forced him to trust his team mates.  IMO PJ has some lost photos of Kobe's colorado trip.  The Lakers are finally giving Kobe some help, in the past Kobe would play team ball but his team mates would not respond and Kobe would revert back to a one man team.  Had it not been for injuries the Lakers could have been at the top of the WC race but they are still finishing with a terrific record.

Right now my vote would go to CP3 closely followed by Kobe.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: MVP race comming down to the wire
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 08:53:43 AM »
The media MVP zzzzzzz.
Tim Dunks remains the true MVP.
KG should be right there.  He won't be.

But since this is your thread, tell you what, Kobester vs CP3 this Friday.
I think CP3 wins the MVP even if Lakers win, 'cause Lakers need to make up 1 1/2 games vs Hornets not just one.  Therefore i think New Orleans finishes #1 and CP3 as the catalyst gets the vote.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 09:12:03 AM »
The media MVP zzzzzzz.
Tim Dunks remains the true MVP.
KG should be right there.  He won't be.

But since this is your thread, tell you what, Kobester vs CP3 this Friday.
I think CP3 wins the MVP even if Lakers win, 'cause Lakers need to make up 1 1/2 games vs Hornets not just one.  Therefore i think New Orleans finishes #1 and CP3 as the catalyst gets the vote.

Why bother?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:27:27 AM »
It's going to be a touch call between KG, CP3 and Kobe. 

KG is part of the biggest turn around in NBA history but the problem is he is PART of it.  KG is playing alongside two other all-stars and despite their impressive record they are in the VERY weak EC, you could knock off 5 to 10 wins if they were playing in the WC.  Still, KG is constantly given credit in the media about the "attitude" in Boston.  KG is very deserving.

I love this KG brought a new "attitude" to Boston and helped "define a new culture".  Duncan has done that for 10+ years in SA and is putting up better numbers.  But Duncan doesn't even show up in most voter's top 5 picks.  KG does not belong in the conversation IMHO.

Been keeping an eye on the Hornets and they have done a great job of staying steady down the home stretch.  CP3 has a legit shot at the MVP, especially if they finish atop the WC standings.  Looking at the roster I do not know how they are doing it in the WC, from what I've seen CP3 is making the team 100X greater than the sum of it's parts.

Kobe has had a major turn around this season in getting the most out of his team mates.  He has really made the Laker players pull their weight throughout the season.  It looks like PJ has finally gotten through to Kobe and has forced him to trust his team mates.  IMO PJ has some lost photos of Kobe's colorado trip.  The Lakers are finally giving Kobe some help, in the past Kobe would play team ball but his team mates would not respond and Kobe would revert back to a one man team.  Had it not been for injuries the Lakers could have been at the top of the WC race but they are still finishing with a terrific record.

What makes the choice between CP3 and Kobe tough is that most people point to the Hornets record.  But if you look at injuries the Hornets have been basically injury free all season long.  I think it will come down to this final week and how strong each of those teams finish.  I think it will end up with Kobe edging out Paul for the award this year.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 10:20:17 AM »
What makes the choice between CP3 and Kobe tough is that most people point to the Hornets record.  But if you look at injuries the Hornets have been basically injury free all season long.  I think it will come down to this final week and how strong each of those teams finish.  I think it will end up with Kobe edging out Paul for the award this year.

I thought about the "injury" angle but looking at the talent level on the Hornets roster they have been playing with injuries from day 1.  :D

I know it's tough for Spurs fans to deal with TD not being part of the discussion but it seems that the Spurs are so successful that their performance is a "given".  I guess you need to pick your poison, either GNob and Parker are as good as you think they are and TD is not an MVP candidate or TD is carrying that team.  It seems you have to do something special to get MVP consideration, since the Spurs have been doing it year in and year out it's hard for them to do much better or "special".  Considering Nash's 2 MVP's I am also surprised TD is not in the running. 

The Hornets and Clippers...err...Lakers have been mediocre for a while, this year has really gotten them alot of attention.  The Celtics have been awfull for so long that them having such a good season makes them the toast of the NBA.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:23:02 AM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 10:35:15 AM »

I thought about the "injury" angle but looking at the talent level on the Hornets roster they have been playing with injuries from day 1.  :D

I know it's tough for Spurs fans to deal with TD not being part of the discussion but it seems that the Spurs are so successful that their performance is a "given".  I guess you need to pick your poison, either GNob and Parker are as good as you think they are and TD is not an MVP candidate or TD is carrying that team.  It seems you have to do something special to get MVP consideration, since the Spurs have been doing it year in and year out it's hard for them to do much better or "special".  Considering Nash's 2 MVP's I am also surprised TD is not in the running. 

The Hornets and Clippers...err...Lakers have been mediocre for a while, this year has really gotten them alot of attention.  The Celtics have been awfull for so long that them having such a good season makes them the toast of the NBA.

The other factor in the Kobe vs Paul debate is the "Malone" factor...or the lifetime achievement MVP.  He has been good for so long but never won the MVP approach which of course goes to Kobe.  Also I think some voters will apply kind of a reverse age discrimination...Paul is young enough that he will win in the future.

As far as the Duncan/KG debate you could take it further.  Who has more help?  Duncan with Parker/GNob or KG with Pierce/Allen?  And I really don't want to go down that path I just want to point out the hypocrisy in the thinking that puts Garnett in the discussion while ignoring Duncan.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 10:44:57 AM »
The Laker turn around this season was not brought on by Kobe. Kobe is just doing what he has always done on his own, which is to put up great numbers but not getting much out of his teammates. Even with Bynum, the Lakers were a seventh seed prior to what really turned their season around this year.

And that was not due to someone with KB as their initials.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 10:57:26 AM »

This echoes my sentiment exactly. 

I think Kobe and Paul are head and shoulders above the rest of the field, that includes KG.  I have it as Paul by a nanometer, but I honestly wouldn't be upset if Kobe won either.  If one of those two guys get it, the MVP will have been deservedly won which is more than I can say for the past 3 years. 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 11:09:27 AM »
The other factor in the Kobe vs Paul debate is the "Malone" factor...or the lifetime achievement MVP.  He has been good for so long but never won the MVP approach which of course goes to Kobe.  Also I think some voters will apply kind of a reverse age discrimination...Paul is young enough that he will win in the future.

Kobe has the LA spotlight in his favor, plus the biggest news about the playoff race in the WC is about who will MISS the playoffs not who will end up as the #1 seed.

As far as the Duncan/KG debate you could take it further.  Who has more help?  Duncan with Parker/GNob or KG with Pierce/Allen?  And I really don't want to go down that path I just want to point out the hypocrisy in the thinking that puts Garnett in the discussion while ignoring Duncan.

I already pointed out why KG is in there and not TD, no hypocrisy, plain and simple the turn around in Boston is historic.  Plus I already put KG at a disadvantage for the reason of playing along side two all-stars.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 11:17:56 AM »
The Laker turn around this season was not brought on by Kobe. Kobe is just doing what he has always done on his own, which is to put up great numbers but not getting much out of his teammates. Even with Bynum, the Lakers were a seventh seed prior to what really turned their season around this year.

The Laker turn around has EVERYTHING to do with Kobe.  He has finally gotten the message from PJ to trust his team mates through thick and thin.  I know your hate of Kobe OWNAGE over the Kings blinds you to facts but the Lakers were #2 in the WC, PHX and Dallas were tied for #1, before Bynum went down.  They were doing good the season before when the injuries hit and sunk the Lakers.  All the Gasol trade did is give the Lakers the ability to MAINTAIN their level of play this year.  That level of play was due to Kobe's evolution as a player.  I don't know where you got that the Lakers were #7, you were probably trying to twist reality, or twist into Reality, for the sake of Kobe hate.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 11:47:42 AM »
That's right Jomal, you tell em WoW!  When Bynum went down the Lakers were 25-11 which is the same exact record they had last year at that point.  And you now how last year ended up with MVP Kobe! 

WooHoo! ;) :D

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 11:55:32 AM »
That's right Jomal, you tell em WoW!  When Bynum went down the Lakers were 25-11 which is the same exact record they had last year at that point.  And you now how last year ended up with MVP Kobe! 

WooHoo! ;) :D

Did you mean "know"?  This has gotten so tiedious but anyway, the injuries really killed the Lakers last year and they did not recover.  This year was different since the Lakers were able to get Gasol, which was the point, they were able to MAINTAIN their pace and level of play.  Not catapult up in the standings but MAINTAIN.  I'll prepare a "no thought" response since I expect more of the same from you.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 12:13:36 PM »
25-11 with Bynum
4-5 without Bynum.

Like how Kobster and co were able to MAINTAIN their pace and level of play.  Not catapult up in the standings but MAINTAIN.  4-5 is the same MAINTAINANCE as 25-11 in Laker Math.  I'll prepare a "no thought" response since I expect more of the same from you.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 12:22:01 PM »

The Laker turn around has EVERYTHING to do with Kobe.  He has finally gotten the message from PJ to trust his team mates through thick and thin.  I know your hate of Kobe OWNAGE over the Kings blinds you to facts but the Lakers were #2 in the WC, PHX and Dallas were tied for #1, before Bynum went down.  They were doing good the season before when the injuries hit and sunk the Lakers.  All the Gasol trade did is give the Lakers the ability to MAINTAIN their level of play this year.  That level of play was due to Kobe's evolution as a player.  I don't know where you got that the Lakers were #7, you were probably trying to twist reality, or twist into Reality, for the sake of Kobe hate.

If you are saying that the talent quality of Kobe's teammates is a direct correlation to whether or not Kobe actually trusts them or not, then you are also arguing that LeBron James would make a better MVP candidate, aren't you, since his stats look better then Kobe's, who has worked with superior talent all season. Same with Paul, who is getting more out of less as well.

I know your 'Kobe Love' blinds you to facts, but the Lakers are practically unbeatable with Gasol on the court, while only .500 with him off due to injury since the Lakers acquired him. I know you were trying to twist reality, or twist into Reality, for the sake of Kobe love, but how does that translate into Kobe being the catalyst for Laker success if his team becomes average with him on the court alone with four less talented then Gasol players around him?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 12:36:37 PM »
Neither one of you even approaches my level of reality.

WoW, get near a t.v. set on Sunday for a dose of SuperManu and company.