Author Topic: Final Four Picks  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Final Four Picks
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 07:21:15 AM »

Hmm, sounds like a history lesson is truly needed -- you seem to forget how many from other states came to help Texas win it's independence from Mexico.  Not only are you Texans conceited but you are an ungrateful lot!

And I suppose only people born in California fought in the Mexican-American war.  Some things from you are so dense.
I thought we already established the fact that Cali was saved by the good ole US -- I was just pointing out that if it weren't for all of our heroes coming to save your lazy Texas butts, you would still be speaking Spanish (English isn't a 2nd language for you, is it?).

Still trying to figure out who the "our heroes" is that you are talking about.  California wasn't part of the US at that time.

And as far as honoring those who helped...well, we built a monument just in front of the shrine where the most famous battle occurred.  Come visit some time and I'll be happy to show you.  And California did what to honor their liberators?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 07:26:53 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 07:31:38 AM »
Hello McFly!   My INITIAL comment was "in the last decade" but because that looks bad for your argument you just choose to ignore it.

LOL Mr. Kettle.  The last eight years would look bad for your argument as would in all NBA history.  Check how framing things so they don't make your argument look bad in this thread and you will find two framers.

No my comment was in context with the Final Fours as well as NBA titles.  I purposedly used 10 years because that was the time period used in the article I read about the Final Fours...which just happened to be what the thread was originally about.  I was in no way trying to argue NBA titles only.  But Mr "Read What I Want" twisted the post into his argument.  And it is his selective reading and constant misstating other's words that I am replying to.

We could also take 20 years on the NBA titles if you want...it will make the Spurs look good compared to the Lakers also.  But I don't have the info on Final Fours for that time period.

But if it will make you feel better I will freely admit that the Lakers organization has won more titles in its history than the Spurs organization.  Although it has nothing to do with my original post.

I answered quickly last night and wanted to add these thoughts...

Last 8 years:  Spurs 3, Lakers 3, Pistons 1, Heat 1.  And each of those other cities hosted how many Final Fours?

BTW if you read my original post I did not mention the Lakers any where.  The Lakers were brought into play when Randy had to jump in because I posted something positive about San Antonio.  It just goes to support my premise in the other thread that he just can't stand to see comments that paint SA in a positive light.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 08:42:41 AM »
I'll take Carolina and Memphis - two of the three teams that I considered to be the class of the tournament (Tennessee was the other) at the outset.  And I'll take Carolina over Memphis, which was my initial pick for the finals.

We'll just forget about those other two teams I picked for the Final Four...Clemson (out in the first round) and Duke (out in the second round).
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 09:25:52 AM »

Hmm, sounds like a history lesson is truly needed -- you seem to forget how many from other states came to help Texas win it's independence from Mexico.  Not only are you Texans conceited but you are an ungrateful lot!

And I suppose only people born in California fought in the Mexican-American war.  Some things from you are so dense.
I thought we already established the fact that Cali was saved by the good ole US -- I was just pointing out that if it weren't for all of our heroes coming to save your lazy Texas butts, you would still be speaking Spanish (English isn't a 2nd language for you, is it?).

Still trying to figure out who the "our heroes" is that you are talking about.  California wasn't part of the US at that time.

And as far as honoring those who helped...well, we built a monument just in front of the shrine where the most famous battle occurred.  Come visit some time and I'll be happy to show you.  And California did what to honor their liberators?

Okay, I was just yanking your chain!  I'm not really a Californian -- I count myself a Missourian.  A lot of those who came to help Texas earn their independence were from Kentucky and Tennessee -- we American's have always been a little stiffnecked when it comes to dictators and being ruled.  Jim Bowie spent some time in Missouri but lived the majority of his life, I believe, in Louisiana.  Davy Crocket was from Kentucky.  Missouri isn't well known for it's liberators -- in fact, our claim to fame during that time period was that most of Quantrill's guerrilas came from Missouri and Arkansas.  The James brothers were probably the more well known of this Missouri band of ruffians.

California was too busy panning gold to build any monuments.  Why do you think that the US was so quick to want to annex the state -- everybody wanted in on the action.

I enjoy history a great deal and Texas has a lot to study in that era -- the cattle era, the Texas Rangers, John Wesley Hardin, the events around the Alamo, even the carpetbaggers era is all very interesting Texas history. 

I've been to the Alamo several times -- and have enjoyed it every time.  The spirit of freedom shown there has been the spirit that I believe that our country has founded itself on -- and one I hope we continue.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 09:27:30 AM »
You know, I have enjoyed the NCAA so far this year and I was thinking -- when was the last time we have had four teams that were all so strong in the final four?  These teams have stood out all year long. 

Will this be the best NCAA final four competition in recent history?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 09:31:29 AM »
You know, I have enjoyed the NCAA so far this year and I was thinking -- when was the last time we have had four teams that were all so strong in the final four?  These teams have stood out all year long. 

Well, this is the first time that all four #1 seeds have made it.  There should be some very good games this weekend.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 02:11:44 PM »

I am kicking myself for not buying tickets.... >:(
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 09:13:39 AM »
Look I already hi jacked a thread to bash people from Texas/California.  Please take this fight into there.  Thanks.

I have Kansas going all the way.  UCLA broke my heart when they choked against Florida.

So far so good!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 10:49:46 AM »
How trippy was that Kansas-North Carolina game at 40-12?  Was that the largest 1st half deficit in Final Four history?  Only for UNC to get back within 5 in the second half.  Couple times UNC had the ball while down 5.  I felt a hit there would have pushed them over Kansas but it did not happen.

I would like to see the Spurs pick up Derrick Rose to back up and then become the future point guard.  Hitting FTs was huge for Memphis including Roses 11-12.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 11:07:58 AM »
I would like to see the Spurs pick up Derrick Rose to back up and then become the future point guard.

:D

Why don't you ask for a tongue bath from Christy Turlington while you're at it. 

If anybody passes over Derrick Rose in the draft for ANYBODY but Michael Beasley, they should be lined up and shot!
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 11:38:55 AM »
Do you see him sniffing Chris Paul territory within a couplethree NBA years?

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2008, 11:59:38 AM »
Chris Paul is a heck of a bar to set . . . but anything is possible with this kid. 

He sort of reminds of a cross between Jason Kidd and the PG version of Joe Johnson.  Big guard who can board, pass, and score.  He's not as creative a passer as Kidd and not the range shooter Johnson is but he is "big" PG and lightning in the open court.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 04:06:39 AM »
^^ It was just one play, but it gave Kansas the win.  That final crossing of halfcourt whereupon Rose failed to foul the Kansas passer.  I just read in Sports Illustrated that Calapari specifically told Memph to foul and it was Rose who dropped the ball.

Are you still just as high on him Skandery?
Like i said, hey its just one play, he can certainly "recover".  :D
But it does add to the rap on Memphis for being all athletic with very low basketball I.Q.  Is Rose a smart player or is he going to be another high draft pick who does not develop the mental part of his game.  I think he sticks in the NBA, becomes an All Star.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 09:44:23 AM »
Kevin Love is about to announce his jump to the NBA, I think today even.  Where do you see him going?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2008, 12:23:29 PM »
I'm STILL high on Derrick Rose.  The instant Self decided to outthink himself and went Box and One against CDR, I said that just opens the court up for Rose (by far their most dangerous player) and if gets confidant he's going to kill them.  10 points (including a ridiculous off-balance bank shot) later I left Kansas for dead.  Rose is going to be the best player out of Memphis since Anfernee Hardaway and I don't even have a doubt about that. 

Although another guy I really, really, REALLY like is Mario Chalmers in Kansas.  Going into the tournament, I'd read that the unsung freshman PG of Kansas (sporting perhaps the deepest team in their history) was the key.  After I saw the game versus Davidson, I agreed 100%.  And Chalmers was unbelievable in the Finals -- an amazing all-around performance.  I don't think he is declaring, though.

==================

Kevin Love should be a late lottery pick -- #10 through #14