Author Topic: strange article I just read...  (Read 4494 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
strange article I just read...
« on: April 03, 2008, 11:16:49 AM »
NBA's commish calling the shots for the Knicks?
There?s little love between Stern and the Spurs
Thursday, April 03, 2008

With news that the Knicks have hired Pacers' man, Donnie Walsh to head things up in New York comes this interesting take from Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski.

"Dolan hired the preferred choice of David Stern, who has been pushing Dolan hard for months now," writes Wojnarowski. "Stern pushed him into dropping an appeal and settling Anucha Browne Sanders? sexual harassment suit for $11.5 million. Stern pushed Walsh on Dolan, too. This hire delivers a dose of credibility to the Knicks? bottomed-out operation, goodwill to a city of basketball writers who?ve always been partial to Walsh?s goodwill and Bronx charm.

"Nevertheless, there are younger, more cutting-edge minds in the sport. There are now executives, too. To think that Dolan never called R.C. Buford, the Spurs GM, speaks to the flawed business sense of the franchise. How did they hire the last president and GM? They offered the job to Magic Johnson. He turned it down. Magic said, ?Try Isiah.? They did.

"Buford has the title of general manager, but Gregg Popovich has ultimate control of the sport?s best-run franchise. Buford loves his life in San Antonio, his relationship with Popovich, but he would?ve listened to the Knicks. Unlike Walsh, who no longer travels to scout colleges and Europe, Buford is one of those younger executives who travels to the ends of the earth to complement Tim Duncan with the perfect cast of characters. Any top executive with final say must work this way now.

"No one has done a poorer job of mining the globe for players than the Knicks. After spending time studying the Cleveland Indians, Buford constructed a model Developmental League relationship with San Antonio?s Austin affiliate. These are different days in the NBA, different vistas and the Knicks, with unlimited resources, would?ve been wise to explore them all.

"There?s little love between Stern and the Spurs, and it was no surprise that Buford wasn?t on his short list for Dolan."

To that, we add our own take:

Sure, the Spurs have had to adjust after big rule changes from the NBA following a couple of their championships.

Sure, the Spurs were handed the toughest regular season ending schedule ever as they try to repeat.

What do you mean there is no love between Stern and the Spurs?

Surely, the fans in Phoenix would not agree with any of this.

"I just hope that grin of his is as big as it was when Boston and the Lakers made those big trades this year when he finds himself handing another set of championship rings in San Antonio next fall," writes one fan.

To that, we say... Odds are slim.

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: strange article I just read...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
The only way David Stern is in San Antonio in the fall is if he has a connecting flight at the airport after leaving LA :)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 11:49:47 AM »
The only way David Stern is in San Antonio in the fall is if he has a connecting flight at the airport after leaving LA :)

Collusionist!
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 11:53:17 AM »

You mean after he let's Buss cry on his shoulders for yet AGAIN, being knocked out of the playoffs by the Spurs?!  Yes, He would be connecting to a flight to Boston since they will have home court, he will be wearing his silver and black Timeee Dunker jersey as well...

::)
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 11:54:43 AM »

You mean after he let's Buss cry on his shoulders for yet AGAIN, being knocked out of the playoffs by the Spurs?!  Yes, He would be connecting to a flight to Boston since they will have home court, he will be wearing his silver and black Timeee Dunker jersey as well...

::)

The Spurs haven't knocked the Lakers out of the playoffs.....in a while.  In fact the last time they played in the playoffs I believe the Lakers knocked them off ;)

Speaking of COLLISIONS...I wonder if Nash was insured by Geico.

(I am warming up for playoff trash talking, trying to finish the message board season off on a strong note)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 11:58:58 AM »
Yeah, can't wait uintil the playoffs start.  the Western conference playoffs are gonna be sick!  I can't imagine that boston will get by detroit, but if they did, how could any team that battled through the western conference playoff schedule lose to them...maybe if they are just too beat up by that point, but this is like a proving ground for whoever is the next champion.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 12:23:24 PM »

The Spurs haven't knocked the Lakers out of the playoffs.....in a while.  In fact the last time they played in the playoffs I believe the Lakers knocked them off ;)

That's because for the last few years the Spurs wait to beat up (literally last year) on the pansies that eliminated the Lakers.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 12:37:50 PM »

That's because for the last few years the Spurs wait to beat up (literally last year) on the pansies that eliminated the Lakers.

This spring/summer I am going to brew up beer using the tears of Spurs fans as they get bounced out of the playoffs. 

Let's dub it 'Flat Tire' since you guys won't be finishing the race.

And for those non-beer drinkers like Reality I will create a juice drink and dub it 'bandwagon berry blast'

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 12:48:02 PM »
And for those non-beer drinkers like Reality I will create a juice drink and dub it 'bandwagon berry blast'

I think Reality is more into cups of mocha from Carista the Barista.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 12:52:41 PM »

I think Reality is more into cups of mocha from Carista the Barista.

Ok then I will create the 'Maybe-Next-Year Mocha' just for Reality McSpinner

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 01:02:53 PM »

This spring/summer I am going to brew up beer using the tears of Spurs fans as they get bounced out of the playoffs. 

I was going to suggest that you also use some "Laker Big Men" hops in the brewing but then remembered they don't have any.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 01:07:39 PM »

I was going to suggest that you also use some "Laker Big Men" hops in the brewing but then remembered they don't have any.

Maybe you missed our top quality import on tap that was being served last night...Pau Pau.  Our New Belgium Bynum beer will be back in 5 games right for WINNIN TIME.

I wanted to use 'fresh' hops for the Flat Tire brew but anything young and fresh wouldn't quite align the taste with the team.  I actually used 40 year old hops instead.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 02:06:30 PM »

Maybe you missed our top quality import on tap that was being served last night...Pau Pau.  Our New Belgium Bynum beer will be back in 5 games right for WINNIN TIME.

I wanted to use 'fresh' hops for the Flat Tire brew but anything young and fresh wouldn't quite align the taste with the team.  I actually used 40 year old hops instead.

But those Spanish hops you have are the older stale version.  I have heard from a VERY reliable source that the Lakers gave up on the younger crop of Spanish hops. 

But like all good things in life championship brews can't be rushed.  Maybe if you ask JoMal he still has some casks leftover from when he stockpiled for his Kings Special Brew that sputtered in its trial release.  Then you can age that beer for a season or two...
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 02:14:58 PM »

Was that the Vlade-lite he was pushing on everyone?    ::)

But those Spanish hops you have are the older stale version.  I have heard from a VERY reliable source that the Lakers gave up on the younger crop of Spanish hops. 

But like all good things in life championship brews can't be rushed.  Maybe if you ask JoMal he still has some casks leftover from when he stockpiled for his Kings Special Brew that sputtered in its trial release.  Then you can age that beer for a season or two...

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 03:51:39 PM »

The younger Spanish hops didn't move around in the boiler well.  As for the batch the Lakers got, far from old.  None of the current Laker WINNIN BREW ingredients are old.  It's not like Bowen Barley that was used for Flat Tire. 

That brew was given to the Kings prior to going to the line in place of gatorade.  I guess just like their fans they had already assumed they won the title when they didn't even get out of the WCF.