Author Topic: Baseball season starts!!! Whoo Hooo!!!  (Read 2766 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Baseball season starts!!! Whoo Hooo!!!
« on: March 31, 2008, 02:06:18 PM »
I know this is predominately a basketball board, but lets talk some baseball.

Predictions for WS and playoffs

AL East
Boston

AL Central
Detroit

AL West
LA Angels of Mission Veijo, Riverside, Ontario, and Long Beach

AL Wild Card
NY Yankees

NL East
NY Mets

NL Central
Chicago Cubs

NL West
San Diego Padres

Wild Card
Arizona DBacks

AL Playoffs
Tigers over Yankees
Red Sox over LA Angels of Ventura, Escondido, Pasadena, and Huntington Beach

Tigers over the Red Sox

NL Playoffs
Padres over the Mets
Cubs over the DBacks

Padres over the Cubs

World Series
TIGERS over Padres

AL MVP
Alex Rodriguez

AL Cy Young
Josh Beckett

AL Rookie of the Year
JACOBY ELLSBURY

NL MVP
David Wright

NL Cy Young
Johan Santana

NL Rookie of the year
Kosuke Fukudome
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Baseball season starts!!! Whoo Hooo!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 06:04:09 PM »
Well after a week into the season I am really glad no one actually read this post, because my predicted WS winning TIGERS SUCK WORSE THAN ISAIH'S KNICKS.  Caleb, I appreciate you giving me a break there buddy.  If we are going to suck this bad, we might as well bring Buddy Bell back as manager and do it right.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 06:43:48 PM »
Caleb, I appreciate you giving me a break there buddy.  If we are going to suck this bad, we might as well bring Buddy Bell back as manager and do it right.

Haha.  I've been so wrapped up in the baseball season thus far that I haven't checked this board in awhile.

The Tigers will be fine.  We're a week into the season.  They still have a shot to make the playoffs, but they'd better get their act together in a hurry.  We knew their bullpen would struggle without Rodney and Zumaya, but who would've predicted such a terrible start for the entire pitching staff AND lineup?  Too many of Detroit's hitters are struggling, and when that happens all at once, you aren't going to score many runs.  They'll come out of it though.  Miggy's getting used to a new league, and Sheff's hurt (which is something you might want to get used to).  Granderson's out and Polanco's reverted back to what he truly is - a .300 hitter who's awesome bat control allows him to hit .300 (albeit without much power), but NOT .340.  Of course, he's hitting .087 right now, so that's no good.  Willis is struggling (and Kevin, I hate to say I told you so), and Verlander has gotten hit.

Suffice to say, I think the Tigers will still compete, but this horrible start could cost them the postseason in what is a tough AL Central - although Cleveland's mediocre start helps Detroit's chances.

Okay, so now let's talk about a good team - the St. Louis Cardinals!  Haha.  J/K.  We're off to a great start, but our starting pitching has been RETARDEDLY good - an ERA under one!  The offense, I promise you, will struggle at times, but the pitching's been so good it hasn't mattered.  We'll come back down to Earth, but we're better than most people expect.

I saw some publications picking the Cards to finish LAST in the division - behind the Pirates!  That's not going to happen, but at best, I think we'll battle the Reds and Astros for third place.  At worst, we'll finish fifth.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 07:13:21 PM »
Caleb, I appreciate you giving me a break there buddy.  If we are going to suck this bad, we might as well bring Buddy Bell back as manager and do it right.

Haha.  I've been so wrapped up in the baseball season thus far that I haven't checked this board in awhile.

The Tigers will be fine.  We're a week into the season.  They still have a shot to make the playoffs, but they'd better get their act together in a hurry.  We knew their bullpen would struggle without Rodney and Zumaya, but who would've predicted such a terrible start for the entire pitching staff AND lineup?  Too many of Detroit's hitters are struggling, and when that happens all at once, you aren't going to score many runs.  They'll come out of it though.  Miggy's getting used to a new league, and Sheff's hurt (which is something you might want to get used to).  Granderson's out and Polanco's reverted back to what he truly is - a .300 hitter who's awesome bat control allows him to hit .300 (albeit without much power), but NOT .340.  Of course, he's hitting .087 right now, so that's no good.  Willis is struggling (and Kevin, I hate to say I told you so), and Verlander has gotten hit.

Suffice to say, I think the Tigers will still compete, but this horrible start could cost them the postseason in what is a tough AL Central - although Cleveland's mediocre start helps Detroit's chances.

Okay, so now let's talk about a good team - the St. Louis Cardinals!  Haha.  J/K.  We're off to a great start, but our starting pitching has been RETARDEDLY good - an ERA under one!  The offense, I promise you, will struggle at times, but the pitching's been so good it hasn't mattered.  We'll come back down to Earth, but we're better than most people expect.

I saw some publications picking the Cards to finish LAST in the division - behind the Pirates!  That's not going to happen, but at best, I think we'll battle the Reds and Astros for third place.  At worst, we'll finish fifth.

You are too decent hearted Caleb, you had me in the cross hairs, and you let me off easy.  Baseball is a long season, and things work themselves out, but geez 0-6 SUCKS.  I am not as high as everyone about Cleveland.  They did well last year, because their bullpen, even with a marginal Joe Borowski, did so well.  Borowski is a bad closer, but when you have Betancourt and company setting you up you can't help but come into situations where you can suck and still have things work out.  Betancourt was the single best setup guy in the league last year, by a huge margin, in fact I think you could make the argument he was perhaps the best relief pitcher in baseball.  He has been a very solid 8th inning guy for a couple of years, but he will not repeat what he did last year, not by a long shot, and when he blows up, the Indians will not be nearly as good.

The Cards have some holes, but worse than the Pirates?  I will believe that when I see it.  I actually think the Astro's are the team that will blow up not the Cards.  Carlos Lee can hit, but he leads the league in outs, and he is a terrible outfielder.  Miggy Teada can hit, but without the mysterious B-16 shots he can't hit like he used too, but he makes lots and lots of outs and is a marginal SS.  Kaz Matsui?  Ha ha.  If the Pirates pass anyone that is who they will pass.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 08:12:42 PM »
Cole Hamels might win the cy young if he stays healthy and the pen doesn't blow too many leads.

The other 4 starters for the Phillies might all have a > 5.0 era.

When was the last time a team had back-back-back MVP's that were all different players?  50's/60's yankees?  Phillies have a legit shot with Utley this year.

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 10:47:19 PM »
Cole Hamels might win the cy young if he stays healthy and the pen doesn't blow too many leads.

The other 4 starters for the Phillies might all have a > 5.0 era.

When was the last time a team had back-back-back MVP's that were all different players?  50's/60's yankees?  Phillies have a legit shot with Utley this year.

If Utley hadn't got hurt last year, I think he would have won it over Rollins.  He can really play. Stole him out out from underneath Caleb in a fantasy draft two years ago, and got to keep him last year.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 11:42:40 PM »

Baseball sucks, can't stand to watch it. 
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 09:05:50 AM »

We're sorry.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 09:15:33 AM »
World Series
TIGERS over Padres
No way no how the Paddies get into the series.
Buddy Black is sucky coach.
Owner is too cheap to make a key move.  (will spend just enough to make team "*competetive*").
Blown game Trevor awaits to completely snuff out any final chance(s) should the Pads get in postion to advance.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 10:28:38 AM »

We're sorry.

Derek, open to expanding his board to include other sports besides basketball?

Maybe he isn't such a bad guy after all.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 10:47:43 AM »
Is Barroid being colluded out by MLB and the owners?

Like, hey we let you pusue your home run record and make both of us bazillions by filling seats, but now we need to go back to feigning anti steroids use personna?

Seems like an American League team could sure use him, heard the Mariners were mulling a contract.

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 07:38:38 PM »

I know ... it's like watching a bunch of Mexicans swim the Rio Grande into the States.  Can't stand to watch that.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 07:42:13 PM »
Is Barroid being colluded out by MLB and the owners?

Like, hey we let you pusue your home run record and make both of us bazillions by filling seats, but now we need to go back to feigning anti steroids use personna?

Seems like an American League team could sure use him, heard the Mariners were mulling a contract.

I don't think there's a conspiracy.

He's an old player whose named has been repeatedly mentioned in the Balco case.  He's arrogant, moody, and doesn't get along with most people.  It's not a surprise no team has jumped at the chance to sign him.

I do agree with Reality, in that SOME team will take a chance on him mid-season.  A contending team who needs a bat will pick him up for the stretch-run/postseason.  Probably an AL team, so he can DH.