Author Topic: First to 50 in the West  (Read 18107 times)

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: First to 50 in the West
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2008, 01:15:51 PM »
Ted,

First, I apologize because it seems that I hit and run -- unfortuantely, I just don't have enough time to get to post right now.

Second, let me state that I DO believe that John Stockton is one of the top 5 PG's in the league -- personally, I would put him above Isaiah Thomas (who was also a great point guard) and I would put both Kidd and Stockton above Thomas.

Now for the Kidd vs. Stockton -- as I mentioned, there are a couple of factors that you seem to neglect in this assessement of their skills.  I believe that Kidd's court vision is definately as good as Stockton's.  I also believe that Stockton had the advantage of playing on a better team.  And Kidd STILL hasn't had the opportunity to work with a quality big man (Dirk is a quality but he isn't the frontcourt player that I'm referring to like Malone was) that Stockton did.  Stockton was a FAR better shooter -- that is a glaring reality.  However, Kidd is one of the best rebounding PG's the league has ever seen -- and that's a HUGE stat when you are playing without a quality big man in the post.  

Kidd is also a shut down (well, he was in his prime) defender while Stockton was a good defender, I don't believe he was ever the defender that Kidd was.  

Here is a quote from our board:

Now that I think about it, I would take Kidd over Stockton.  The defense would be UNREAL, your players will be sooooo locked down on defense they would think their name is Doug Christie.

I certainly am not trying to use Wow as a definitive analysis but one must admit that if someone of Wow's limited basketball knowledge can understand the difference in defensive abilities between Kidd and Stockton, you must at least stop and consider that the difference is far clearer than you would like to admit.

Unfortuantely, the only way to offer proof of defensive abilities is to compare their opponents output against them -- this is something that can be done with Kidd -- I don't know of a way to do that with Stockton since he played in the olden days of minishorts.

Mark Price was a very good point guard -- I think a GREAT comparison would be Steve Nash.  He isn't HOF material, IMO, but he was a very good point guard.  A top point guard in the league at that time but not a top point guard of all time.  

I believe that Kidd is better than Stockton in some areas and Stockton is better than Kidd in some areas.  

I'd like to point out some further qualifications to your list:
Minutes per game
Stockton: 32.4
Kidd: 37.7
Kidd plays more minutes--good for him, but remember this number in the context of the following stats and you may not think of this as an advantage for Kidd.

Why is it that Kidd logs so many more minutes than Stockton did -- it's because Kidd has always played on a team that wasn't nearly as good.  His presence on the court was more necessary -- I would be interested to see how the Jazz did when Stockton went down as opposed to the difference of Kidd's teams (he has played for more than just the Nets, in case you are wondering) when he went down.

Points per game
Stockton: 13.4
Kidd: 14.3
Kidd shot over 2000 more FG attempts to acheive this 1-point per game advantage.
Stockton is obviously the much better shooter.

Assists per game
Stockton: 11.1
Kidd: 9.3
Stockton averaged more than 10 assists 10 straight years in the 15-year span. Kidd accomplished the feat three times. Stockton averaged more than 14 twice, 13 three times, 12 three times, 11 once. Kidd never surpassed 10.8.
Hmm, I wonder what the overall shooting percentage was for the Jazz compared to that of Kidd's teams.  I would bet that the shooting percentage of the Jazz is also far superior to Kidd's teams which means he would have even had more assists if his teammates could shoot better.  Also, you don't think that playing with a HOF and superior player like Malone made a difference in the assists?  I would also state that Sloans system is also a system that made the most out of Stockton's passing ability.  Wouldn't you?

Steals per game
Stockton: 2.3
Kidd: 2.0
Pretty close here, but a little context. Stockton got over 230 steals four times, 200 five times, 199 twice. Kidd never surpassed 175.
One of the things that is easy to do -- cheat on steals when you have a big man behind you to eliminate mistakes.  Kobe loved to cheat when he played with Shaq -- Shaq corrected Kobe's mistakes by defending the paint.  

Turnovers per game
Stockton: 3.0
Kidd: 3.2
Pretty close here. But overall assist-to-turnover ratio is more revealing.

Assist-to-turnover ratio
Stockton: 3.8
Kidd: 2.9
Advantage Stockton.

Rebounds per game
Stockton: 2.7
Kidd: 6.7
Kidd is clearly better here, no question. Of course, it's easier to rebound when you miss so much.  

Well, Stockton didn't have to worry about rebounding -- he had a great rebounder in Malone.  Kidd has never had that option.  And if you think the 4 rebounds a game all came off of his own shot you are trying to use weak facts to support your argument.

Field goal percentage
Stockton: 51.9
Kidd: 40.1
Kidd is atrocious here; 40.1 percent is just plain awful.
Who did defenses focus on when they played the Jazz?  Malone was their first focus -- stopping the pick and roll and then their next focus was Stockton.  One has to take into account the ability of these players teammates and their coaches when looking at this difference.  Stockton was a superior shooter but I would bet that if Kidd was transplanted to the Jazz with Malone, Hornicek and company that his shooting percentage would have been much better.  

3-point percentage
Stockton: 38.4
Kidd: 33.6
Stockton became known as a feared long-range shooter. Kidd has become known as a below average at best.

See previous statement.  Kidd is the focus of defenses -- it does make a difference.

Free throw percentage
Stockton: 82.3
Kidd: 78.0
Not a huge difference here, but another advantage to Stockton.
See, I believe this demonstrates Kidd's ability to shoot the ball -- Stockton is better but not by that much.  If Kidd had a post player that defenses had to focus on, you would see Kidd shooting a much better percentage from the floor and the arch.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2008, 01:52:07 PM »
Randy...defenses focus on Kidd?????????

Defenses are laying off Kidd daring him to shoot because he SUCKS at shooting. 
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2008, 02:04:10 PM »
The best way to stop the Jazz was always to lock down Stockton. Any team that could put heavy pressure on Stockton could severely hinder the Jazz' execution offense. The Bulls did this very well with Ron Harper and Michael Jordan. It's simple really. Karl Malone benefitted from the Jazz system more than anyone. Karl never could've created his own shots, and so many of them were made so easy because of the quality of passes coming from Stockton.

In reality, John Stockton was the Jazz' system in the half court. When he was gone, the Jazz struggled mightily. I would've have liked to see him run a Dallas or Phoenix style offense. He could've run people into the ground. Outside of Karl and MJ, there was no one as well conditioned as Stockton.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2008, 02:28:40 PM »
Randy...defenses focus on Kidd?????????

Defenses are laying off Kidd daring him to shoot because he SUCKS at shooting. 

Of course they focus on Kidd -- they want to remove his playmaking ability -- I guess I missed where I said that defenses focus on stopping Kidd from shooting.  They would prefer Kidd to shoot rather than keep making assists all night.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2008, 02:34:22 PM »
The best way to stop the Jazz was always to lock down Stockton. Any team that could put heavy pressure on Stockton could severely hinder the Jazz' execution offense. The Bulls did this very well with Ron Harper and Michael Jordan. It's simple really. Karl Malone benefitted from the Jazz system more than anyone. Karl never could've created his own shots, and so many of them were made so easy because of the quality of passes coming from Stockton.

In reality, John Stockton was the Jazz' system in the half court. When he was gone, the Jazz struggled mightily. I would've have liked to see him run a Dallas or Phoenix style offense. He could've run people into the ground. Outside of Karl and MJ, there was no one as well conditioned as Stockton.

I can't agree with you less on Malone -- Malone flourished in LA -- in fact, had he not gone down against the TWolves, the Lakers would have won the title even WITH a lazy, complacent Shaq.  Malone really displayed some great offensive and defensive skills even at the end of his career in LA -- unfortunately, that display doesn't really quite prove your point with Stockton.

As for Stockton -- he was the perfect PG for Sloan's system -- and it really hasn't changed much over the years even with a more athletic PG in Deron.  I will say that Stockton was probably one of the least athletic PG's that I have ever seen play but his speed surprised you (I say the same thing about Jeff Hornicek -- one of my all-time favorite players -- Jeff was about as unathletic as you could get) -- faster PG's would steal the ball but Stockton matched them all the way down the court. 

The Jazz really had a very talented ballclub -- if they would have been able to secure a decent center instead of lugs like Eaton and Ostertag, this team could have won it all!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2008, 03:17:49 PM »
I can't agree with you less on Malone -- Malone flourished in LA -- in fact, had he not gone down against the TWolves, the Lakers would have won the title even WITH a lazy, complacent Shaq.  Malone really displayed some great offensive and defensive skills even at the end of his career in LA --

Malone played EXACTLY 42 games for the Lakers.  And had one of his worse statistical years in his career.  Six players on that Lakers squad played more minutes than Malone.  Malone played less than 7% of the total minutes that year...or about as many minutes as Radman has played for the Lakers this year.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2008, 03:21:35 PM »
I don't mean to lessen Malone's stature as a great player. His ability to score has been unmatched at his position. The guy could simply finish as well as anyone. And he was a great defender and rebounder. But he could not have succeeded without someone feeding him the ball. He made his money by posting up weaker defenders, setting good picks and rolling off them. Did you ever watch him try to dribble the ball and run at the same time? He could not do it without looking at the ball the entire time.

If Karl Malone got the ball in a good scoring position, it was nearly always because someone put it there. He almost never got it there himself. As he got older, everywhere inside 20 feet became a good scoring position for him. He was that good. But he needed help getting there. And Lurker has a point. Malone didn't do much for the Lakers in reality. He definitely would have helped against the Pistons, but he was not the Karl Malone of Stockton to Malone.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2008, 03:45:05 PM »
I can't agree with you less on Malone -- Malone flourished in LA -- in fact, had he not gone down against the TWolves, the Lakers would have won the title even WITH a lazy, complacent Shaq.  Malone really displayed some great offensive and defensive skills even at the end of his career in LA --

Malone played EXACTLY 42 games for the Lakers.  And had one of his worse statistical years in his career.  Six players on that Lakers squad played more minutes than Malone.  Malone played less than 7% of the total minutes that year...or about as many minutes as Radman has played for the Lakers this year.

This is why I don't think stats apply to all debates.  He was apart of the Lakers 18 game winning streak but ended up getting injured for a major part of the season.  A big part I might actually add.  When he was in though, he was very good.  He should also get credit for making Shaq's interior defense look half way decent to start the season.  You guys don't get all the games so I don't see how you can say how good he was or wasn't in LA.  Obviously he wasn't the same Malone of the Malone/Stockton glory days.  Few reasons...one being the Lakers didn't run the pick and roll, two being he was older, and three there was more weapons on the Lakers squad then a lot of those Stockton/Malone teams had.

The reason he had his worse statistical year is because I believe that was one of the only major injuries he had in his entire career.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 03:48:40 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2008, 04:06:49 PM »

This is why I don't think stats apply to all debates.  He was apart of the Lakers 18 game winning streak but ended up getting injured for a major part of the season.  A big part I might actually add.  When he was in though, he was very good.  He should also get credit for making Shaq's interior defense look half way decent to start the season.  You guys don't get all the games so I don't see how you can say how good he was or wasn't in LA.  Obviously he wasn't the same Malone of the Malone/Stockton glory days.  Few reasons...one being the Lakers didn't run the pick and roll, two being he was older, and three there was more weapons on the Lakers squad then a lot of those Stockton/Malone teams had.

The reason he had his worse statistical year is because I believe that was one of the only major injuries he had in his entire career.

I didn't mean to imply that he was "played 5 years past my prime" embarrassing as a Laker if that is how you read it.  But I wouldn't say that he "flourished" while playing half a season either.  Malone was still a very capable player that year and the injury did play a big role.  But even though he averaged starter level minutes his shooting % and rebounding rates were low (by his standards).

As for the "you didn't see him as much" argument that could apply to just about every thread.  And then there is the whole "he had a good team around him so of course he looked good" argument.  But IMO that doesn't hold much weight either.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2008, 04:17:59 PM »

Hmm, could be the fact that since he played great defense against TD and helped the Lakers beat the Spurs that it could be sour grapes here.  Honestly, he played VERY well in the playoffs (probably memory block, huh?) -- when you consider that he was in his 18th season, not too shabby.  You can only DREAM that DRob or TD could play that long.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2008, 04:21:56 PM »
I don't mean to lessen Malone's stature as a great player. His ability to score has been unmatched at his position. The guy could simply finish as well as anyone. And he was a great defender and rebounder. But he could not have succeeded without someone feeding him the ball. He made his money by posting up weaker defenders, setting good picks and rolling off them. Did you ever watch him try to dribble the ball and run at the same time? He could not do it without looking at the ball the entire time.

If Karl Malone got the ball in a good scoring position, it was nearly always because someone put it there. He almost never got it there himself. As he got older, everywhere inside 20 feet became a good scoring position for him. He was that good. But he needed help getting there. And Lurker has a point. Malone didn't do much for the Lakers in reality. He definitely would have helped against the Pistons, but he was not the Karl Malone of Stockton to Malone.

he could not have succeeded without someone feeding him the ball
and

He made his money by posting up weaker defenders, setting good picks and rolling off them

Posting up weaker defenders?  How many players did Malone post up who were stronger than he was?

By-the-way, saying he posted up people but couldn't create his own shot -- seems to be some incongruity in those statements. 

I'm not saying that you wanted Malone bringing the ball down the court but he could create his own shot by posting up.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2008, 04:29:02 PM »

Hmm, could be the fact that since he played great defense against TD and helped the Lakers beat the Spurs that it could be sour grapes here.  Honestly, he played VERY well in the playoffs (probably memory block, huh?) -- when you consider that he was in his 18th season, not too shabby.  You can only DREAM that DRob or TD could play that long.

Sorry, Mr. Faulty Memory.  Fisher's 0.4 shot in the pivotal game 5 is what killed the Spurs that season.  (Should have had the refs/timekeeper from Atlanta last night).  Duncan averaged 22.1 pts on 52.2% shooting, 11.3 rebs, 3.2 assts and 2.0 blks in the playoffs that year.  I'm sure glad Malone was around to slow him down...

-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2008, 06:15:45 PM »
Sorry, Mr. Faulty Memory.  Fisher's 0.4 shot in the pivotal game 5 is what killed the Spurs that season.  (Should have had the refs/timekeeper from Atlanta last night).  Duncan averaged 22.1 pts on 52.2% shooting, 11.3 rebs, 3.2 assts and 2.0 blks in the playoffs that year.  I'm sure glad Malone was around to slow him down...

What did TD against Samaki Walker the previous year.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2008, 06:31:46 PM »

Hey, don't bring Samaki into this thread -- I still remember Lurker being excited when Samaki donned a Spurs uniform -- he was going to reach his potential simply because of the Spurs insignia!  Yeah, that worked out well!!!  ;D

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2008, 07:22:30 AM »

Hey, don't bring Samaki into this thread -- I still remember Lurker being excited when Samaki donned a Spurs uniform -- he was going to reach his potential simply because of the Spurs insignia!  Yeah, that worked out well!!!  ;D

And when the Spurs cast him off who was there to pick him up?

-Moody Blues