Author Topic: Lakers lose at Staples to the worst road team in the NBA.  (Read 5092 times)

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lakers lose at Staples to the worst road team in the NBA.
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 11:19:10 AM »
The Lakers are a donut team until Bynum comes back.  There is a huge difference playing the game with a big man who can control the post and someone who can't.  See what Boston has accomplished this year.  Boston has been able to play their perimeter opponents very tight knowing that KG is patrolling the paint.  The Lakers don't have anyone who controls the paint.  The Lakers aren't a good rebounding team without Bynum either.  Fisher is a good defender but is hobbled, Kobe is a very good defender (look what he has accomplished on the present Dream Team), it's nice to see Odom show up every now and then on defense, Gasol is adequate at PF but lacking at C which is why we have our current hole.  The Lakers were playing far better defense when Bynum was controlling the paint.  I really don't think Bynum is going to get back in time to help solve this problem for the Lakers.  The Lakers need to get healthy. 

Actually the 2nd squad for the Lakers are better defenders:  Farmar, Sasha, Ariza, and Turiaf.  Solid defenders in that group. 

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 11:41:09 AM »
The Lakers are a donut team until Bynum comes back.  There is a huge difference playing the game with a big man who can control the post and someone who can't.  See what Boston has accomplished this year.  Boston has been able to play their perimeter opponents very tight knowing that KG is patrolling the paint.  The Lakers don't have anyone who controls the paint.  The Lakers aren't a good rebounding team without Bynum either.  Fisher is a good defender but is hobbled, Kobe is a very good defender (look what he has accomplished on the present Dream Team), it's nice to see Odom show up every now and then on defense, Gasol is adequate at PF but lacking at C which is why we have our current hole.  The Lakers were playing far better defense when Bynum was controlling the paint.  I really don't think Bynum is going to get back in time to help solve this problem for the Lakers.  The Lakers need to get healthy. 

Actually the 2nd squad for the Lakers are better defenders:  Farmar, Sasha, Ariza, and Turiaf.  Solid defenders in that group. 

The Laker defense has the consistency of Velvetta. If only they could keep the arenas cooler so it, like that cheese, would solidify.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 11:45:21 AM »
Ahh, California cheese -- you know, together SacTown and the Lakers make a great combination.  With the Lakers, you've got that cheese that you are talking about -- and in SacTown, you've got that whine to go with it.  Great combination!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 12:07:04 PM »
Ahh, California cheese -- you know, together SacTown and the Lakers make a great combination.  With the Lakers, you've got that cheese that you are talking about -- and in SacTown, you've got that whine to go with it.  Great combination!

...and oh, so pathetically unoriginal.

Um....little reminder there, Randy. The Kings are NOT going to the playoffs and we were talking about the Laker 'D'. One must overcome those senior moments and at least try to stay on point, though I can completely understand your fear of compliance to that.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 12:11:54 PM »
Agreed, but regardless their seeding I don't believe the Lakers have much of a chance in the playoffs.  Maybe they'll make it out of the first round, but that's about it.

I agree.  The Lakers just don't have "it" this year.  They have "it" for stints, sometimes even for a whole game but I don't see them taking on a team that plays 48 minutes a game in a playoff series.  It has become more than just an issue with ability, their mentality is just not congruent with winning playoff basketball.  IMO the Lakers think they can just shot themselves back into any game, even worse they try doing it from the 3 point line.  Kobe has been settling too much for difficult jumpers, it may have something to do with his ankle injury, since it seems the still drove hard with the pinky injury.  Sasha and RadMan will not remain hot throughout the playoffs, the Lakers will need to focus more on defense to keep them in games.

I think the Lakers are still a healthy season away from challenging for a title.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 12:22:32 PM »
The Lakers just don't have "it" this year.

Don't you think you guys are over-reacting a little.  The Blazers play the Lakers very tough, take the loss for what it is.  Buck up guys, its okay.

Too much more of this and I'm going to send you guys a bill for Online Therapeutic Reassurance; just don't ask for my accreditation. 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 12:35:13 PM »

Don't you think you guys are over-reacting a little.  The Blazers play the Lakers very tough, take the loss for what it is.  Buck up guys, its okay.

Too much more of this and I'm going to send you guys a bill for Online Therapeutic Reassurance; just don't ask for my accreditation. 

Stay out of this Skander.  If the Laker contingent wants to beat up on their team and be all downtrodden, then just let them do it and enjoy.  It won't be long before they are back telling us how they have the greatest franchise in the history of the world.  And that is when the therapy should be provided.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 12:46:27 PM »

No Skandery, this is not about last night's game.  WOW is dead on the money.  We see eye to on this because we watch every minute of every game.  It's not just weak defense.  They make bad decisions, shoot waaay to many 3's.  All in all they have a ways to go before they reach that championship level.  I'm not just being negative here after a tough loss.  Heck, I'm stoked on this season, I never expected to even be in contention and we are.  I'm happy about it and I've said all along I'm looking more toward next year and beyond.  It takes some time for teams to gel and find that winning mentality together.  The Lakers are getting there, but not there yet. 

Randy, you're right in that it helps to have an "anchor" like Bynum.  I hope to get him back for the playoffs, but I'm not holding my breath.  Even if he does come back it's expecting a lot for a guy who's been out for 4 months to just jump in and be a huge factor.  Especially coming in during the intensity of a playoff series. 

And you're also right about our individual defenders being pretty solid.  That said, they don't play smart, consistent, team D.  I'm not sure if you're able to watch every game, but more often than not they're giving up 30+ pts in a qtr., 60-70 pts in a half to crappy teams.  Not just occasionally ... a lot.  Championship teams just don't do that.  They might have an "off" night once every 20-30 games, but not with the regularity of this squad.  With or without Bynum it's inexcusable and embarrassing. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 12:49:39 PM »
Stay out of this Skander.  If the Laker contingent wants to beat up on their team and be all downtrodden, then just let them do it and enjoy.

It's just the difference between blind faith and realistic expectations.  Gasol is not the greatest PF in the league just cause he's a Laker.  The defense is weak and the offense is too jumpshot oriented, that is why they are in trouble.  PJ could turn it around but alot of their problems have to do with the health of the Lakers.

It won't be long before they are back telling us how they have the greatest franchise in the history of the world.  And that is when the therapy should be provided.

That is not in question, they are the greatest in history, 2nd greatest at worse.  They are just not the greatest THIS year.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 02:20:32 PM »
Stay out of this Skander.  If the Laker contingent wants to beat up on their team and be all downtrodden, then just let them do it and enjoy.

It's just the difference between blind faith and realistic expectations.  Gasol is not the greatest PF in the league just cause he's a Laker.  The defense is weak and the offense is too jumpshot oriented, that is why they are in trouble.  PJ could turn it around but alot of their problems have to do with the health of the Lakers.

I don't care why you are doing it.  It is just fun to watch you all try to top each other as the one who first called out the downfall of the Lakers this year.  I was just asking Skander to let you all continue to trash the Lakers.  If any of us non-believers were to come with these posts then the "brotherhood" would close ranks and defend their team to the bitter death (just like the Texans at the Alamo - so I guess Californians do idolize Texans). 

8)
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 02:27:04 PM »
I see that there is a very good chance that Bynum may get a little playing time on Sunday.  This is a good sign for the Lakers if he can begin to play with the team now and not have any pain. 

I think this team has ALL the makings of a championship team but Bynum is a key factor in that cog -- two players we can't do without -- Kobe and Bynum.  Without either of these two players, the Lakers just won't go far.  We can afford to lose anyone else but if we can get everyone back and healthy, the league had better watch out.  We've seen that the Spurs aren't really interested this season so it's wide open!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 02:37:20 PM »
I don't care why you are doing it.  It is just fun to watch you all try to top each other as the one who first called out the downfall of the Lakers this year.  I was just asking Skander to let you all continue to trash the Lakers.  If any of us non-believers were to come with these posts then the "brotherhood" would close ranks and defend their team to the bitter death 8)
:D

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 02:50:11 PM »
Let's get something straight here, The Lakers defense is horrible, reason is that 2 huge cogs in the defensive machine are missing, Bynum and Arriza, both of whom may be back in time for the playoffs.

That being said, I think the Lakers have an EXCELLENT chance of making it to the WC Finals, and I believe they will.

My reasoning? Lack of defense notwithstanding, the only team in the WC that plays any consistant defense is San Antonio, and to a lesser degree Utah, although that beat down the Jazz put on NO last night was scary. LA matches up very well against the team they will likely face in the first round, Phoenix, and LA has extra motivation there with the Shaq Kobe thing AND the last 2 years, plus they will have home court first round. I believe next up will be Utah who should be able to dispatch Houston, either way, home court again and we own Utah, and Houston, if we do have Bynum back, will have no answer in the paint. If we make it that far, and I believe we will, our likely opponent will be San Antonio, this is where we run into real problems, the Spurs are playing as tough as ever and are certainly capable of shutting down our inside scoring.

This is no Mavericks or Warriors team, we can play SOME defense, we don't try to outrun you, although LA can run with ANYONE, we can score from anywhere on the floor, we have a very, very solid bench, and the halfcourt favors us over anyone except the Spurs, and that is playoff basketball.

There, no backpedalling here, I called my shot, I will stand by it and my team and I will eat the whole crow if I am wrong, man up Laker fans, we are probably not championship level yet, but in this crazy WC, I like our chances as much as anyones. Let the playoffs begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 03:00:34 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »

I don't care why you are doing it.  It is just fun to watch you all try to top each other as the one who first called out the downfall of the Lakers this year.  I was just asking Skander to let you all continue to trash the Lakers.  If any of us non-believers were to come with these posts then the "brotherhood" would close ranks and defend their team to the bitter death (just like the Texans at the Alamo - so I guess Californians do idolize Texans). 

8)

Okay, one question -- how many "non-Texans" were there in the Alamo?  Texas is notarious for receiving help -- first from States like Tenn., Kentucky, NY to gain it's independence and then from Stern to get TD.  It never ends!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 02:57:49 PM »
Couldn't have said it any better, Laker Fan.

Although I would say the Lakers have an adjustable-rate mortgage on Utah--you don't own us!  ;)
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."