Author Topic: Lakers lose at Staples to the worst road team in the NBA.  (Read 5098 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Lakers lose at Staples to the worst road team in the NBA.
« on: March 29, 2008, 12:12:08 AM »
The amount of 3's was ridiculous.  Did PJ take a vacation day today?  Granted the Lakers were short handed and Lamar was feeling the effects of the flu but they kept stepping back for the 3's like there was no tommorow.  The Lakers need Gasol back soon or they will lose homecourt in the first round.  Luke is starting to look like Fluke, he has really started playing dumb.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lakers lose at Staples to the worst road team in the NBA.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 09:47:03 AM »
I was only able to enjoy the late 3rd and entire 4th qtr.

While the self glossing-takes-himself-wayy too seriously, "The Machine" must have been bricking away earlier in the game, he actually hit treys a couple times in the late 4th to bring the Lakers within two.  I could not believe how wide open Memphis left him for treys with the 5-6 point lead the Grizz were maintaining as they needed to merely trade hoops and melt clock.

What was up with the Lakers second to last possession?  Kobester drives the lane and kicks out to 1-10 respiratory infected Lamar Odom from treyland.  When a two would have tied it and Memphis was in absolute meltdown mode, and along with Violet and Dick Baveta ever the ready to help the Lakers along i feel the Lakes would have prevailed in OT if not reg.  I thought  a two was the absolute right play to run.  Not blaming the Kobester, I'm blaming Odom for not driving or passing.

Nice posterize by Gay over Chris Mihm.
How bout Gays line drive miss on purpose FTA going straight into the hoop? :D :D

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 11:39:55 AM »
Well, at least Kobe didn't pick up another T.  Here is a little explanation from ESPN...

One important footnote: If Bryant or anyone else playoff-bound collects their 16th technical foul in the final game of the regular season, they would be forced to serve their one-game suspension in the postseason. The slate for Ts is otherwise wiped clean at the start of the playoffs, with suspensions starting when a player accumulates seven techs.

So Laker fans have to hope that Kobe gets another T before the final game.  Or none the rest of the year.

Also if I remember correctly there was a slight jab from ONE of the Laker contigent about the Spurs losing on the ROAD to Memphis earlier.  Maybe if I SPRINKLE in enough caps I can draw him out of his DRUNKEN STUPOR to explain how losing at HOME is different.

::)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 11:42:13 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 01:50:11 PM »
Well, at least Kobe didn't pick up another T.  Here is a little explanation from ESPN...

One important footnote: If Bryant or anyone else playoff-bound collects their 16th technical foul in the final game of the regular season, they would be forced to serve their one-game suspension in the postseason. The slate for Ts is otherwise wiped clean at the start of the playoffs, with suspensions starting when a player accumulates seven techs.

So Laker fans have to hope that Kobe gets another T before the final game.  Or none the rest of the year.

Also if I remember correctly there was a slight jab from ONE of the Laker contigent about the Spurs losing on the ROAD to Memphis earlier.  Maybe if I SPRINKLE in enough caps I can draw him out of his DRUNKEN STUPOR to explain how losing at HOME is different.

::)

Lurker, I don't drink -- although I will have to say that games like this can cause one to pause and wonder if it's a good time to start!  There is NO excuse for losing to Memphis -- whether it's at home or on the road.  The Lakers should have been able to beat the Grizz even with the injuries they have sustained.  I was unable to attend the game due to a contest this weekend but the boxscore shows that Kobe was the only Laker who came to play.  The Lakers had better start waking up and playing some defense or the postseason will be pretty short.  Of course, if the Lakers can't find a way to get their big men healthy, it will be pretty short anyway.

I guess that's the difference between us, Lurker, I don't see an excuse for losing to the Grizz (no matter where they play) and you can find an excuse!   ::)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 02:20:08 PM »

I guess that's the difference between us, Lurker, I don't see an excuse for losing to the Grizz (no matter where they play) and you can find an excuse!   ::)

And just exactly where did I post this excuse?

My response to you at that time...which is the same as this time...SCOREBOARD BABY! 

Possessed!
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 05:31:42 PM »

Losing at home IS different.  It is much worse!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 07:44:48 PM »
.....but the boxscore shows that Kobe was the only Laker who came to play. 

From my point of view, Kobe was the only Laker that he ALLOWED to come and play. Personally taking 37 shots....with ONE assist? The rest of the starters combined for 32 shots.

Nice job of on-court leadership.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 12:01:34 AM »
JoMal -- did you check out how the other Laker players shot the ball?  It's difficult to get assists when your team is shooting so poorly. 

The Lakers are really banged up at this point -- Fish now has a messed up tendon in his foot -- it definately isn't looking good for the Lakers post season.

My response to you at that time...which is the same as this time...SCOREBOARD BABY! 

I think your response last time was standings (i.e. number of losses) -- not the scoreboard. 

Just keep hoping that the Lakers are as banged up against the Spurs as they were against Memphis -- the Spurs just might be able to beat the Lakers!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 09:55:47 AM »
JoMal -- did you check out how the other Laker players shot the ball?  It's difficult to get assists when your team is shooting so poorly. 

The Lakers are really banged up at this point -- Fish now has a messed up tendon in his foot -- it definately isn't looking good for the Lakers post season.

I think your response last time was standings (i.e. number of losses) -- not the scoreboard. 

Just keep hoping that the Lakers are as banged up against the Spurs as they were against Memphis -- the Spurs just might be able to beat the Lakers!

Scoreboard...standings.  Same difference.  And I love the injury angle.  It is so original.   :D

To those who truly follow the Lakers I am sorry to see them become so banged up.  It was shaping up to be a great post season but with injuries to the Lakers, Rockets and Mavs it will take some of the excitement away.  The western conference is still going to be one of the best playoffs I think ever from round 1 through the finals.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 11:09:48 AM »

Oh, yeah. 9-32 is pretty sad, all right. That reknown Memphis defense really stopped them.

But still, Kobe's job is to take it up a notch, and that should not always be to starting shooting the ball himself every time down the court, but to get the ball to his teammates where they can score themselves.

And all teams are getting banged up right now and in years past, the good teams stay good and play through the injuries. I have little hope the Mavs will even make the playoffs without Dirk, for instance, because somehow an injury like that on Dallas .......they just don't have the stomach for it.

The Lakers still have Kobe, so what's the big deal? But losing to the Grizzlies at home? That is not showing the fortitude to play regardless of who is on the court with him.

I have heard rumblings about how the Rockets are just as good if not better with Yao out. BS!! If you follow Adelman's coaching career, especially in Sacramento, when DID he ever have a healthy squad at any time near the end of the season? The Rockets continued to play well because that is what his teams always do when injuries come calling. His teams always competed regardless of how shorthanded he was, and we are talking about players like Peja, B-Jax, Webber, Miller, Divac - all losing playing time due to injuries when the games really counted, but his teams continued to win.

No excuses for having players sidelined. The good teams just restack the lineup and continue on. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 12:23:15 PM »
Pathetic loss.  The defense is a major issue right now and something that has been a major concern of mine for the last few weeks.  This defense is not going to get them anywhere in the playoffs with the firepower all 8 seeds have.  GS especially.  They don't want to become Dallas...Randy might start making his own alcohol if that is the case!!

As for making his teammates better, he shouldn't be shooting so much.  The team outside of Kobe not only came out FLAT but they shot a HORRIBLE %.  The only reason they stayed in the game was because he happened to be on.  Anyone who watched the game could tell you that.  It's surely wasn't the Grizzlies defense.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 12:26:13 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 04:15:34 PM »

Scoreboard...standings.  Same difference.  And I love the injury angle.  It is so original.   :D

To those who truly follow the Lakers I am sorry to see them become so banged up.  It was shaping up to be a great post season but with injuries to the Lakers, Rockets and Mavs it will take some of the excitement away.  The western conference is still going to be one of the best playoffs I think ever from round 1 through the finals.

We have had enough grammar lessons around here so I'm going to skip the difference between scoreboard and standings.

As for the injury angle -- I didn't give that as an excuse to you for losing that game -- that was in a complete different post.  The injuries aren't an excuse to lose against the injuries but even YOU would have to admit that they are piling up for the Lakers.  It would be like the Spurs playing with TD hurt and without Parker, Manu and Bowen.  What would you think of your chances in such a case? 

This postseason had sooo much potential to be one of the best ever in the NBA -- words can't express how disappointed I feel at this point.  The Lakers still have a chance (although it seems to be getting slimmer and slimmer all the time) to get healthy but seeing Dirk go down is very disappointing. 

And wk, just drop it -- it's obvious that JoMal can't understand that even though the rest of the Lakers shot poorly, Kobe should have STILL managed to find a way to get more assists (I can only assume he wanted Kobe to run over and help them with their shot -- perhaps a shooting lesson in the middle of the game).  This kind of game doesn't happen very often for the Lakers but outside of Kobe it was really bad!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 07:18:15 PM »
Oh, yeah. 9-32 is pretty sad, all right. That reknown Memphis defense really stopped them.

But still, Kobe's job is to take it up a notch, and that should not always be to starting shooting the ball himself every time down the court, but to get the ball to his teammates where they can score themselves.

That was pretty much what Kobe was doing, the Lakers just were not making shots.  It was not about defense, the Lakers were getting wide open looks, they were just not falling.  Part of the problem was the Lakers taking way too many 3 pointers, guys were actually stepping back to take a 3.  Lakers make half the shots they were supposed to and Kobe gets at least 8 assists.

And all teams are getting banged up right now and in years past, the good teams stay good and play through the injuries. I have little hope the Mavs will even make the playoffs without Dirk, for instance, because somehow an injury like that on Dallas .......they just don't have the stomach for it.

The Lakers still have Kobe, so what's the big deal? But losing to the Grizzlies at home? That is not showing the fortitude to play regardless of who is on the court with him.

I have heard rumblings about how the Rockets are just as good if not better with Yao out. BS!! If you follow Adelman's coaching career, especially in Sacramento, when DID he ever have a healthy squad at any time near the end of the season? The Rockets continued to play well because that is what his teams always do when injuries come calling. His teams always competed regardless of how shorthanded he was, and we are talking about players like Peja, B-Jax, Webber, Miller, Divac - all losing playing time due to injuries when the games really counted, but his teams continued to win.

No excuses for having players sidelined. The good teams just restack the lineup and continue on. 

I guess you do not consider the Spurs a good team then?  They had one year were they were without TD and they did not go very far.  Nor the Kings since they never won anything, the one year they had it in the bag Webber goes down vs Dallas and their season was done.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 08:28:07 AM »
The home loses to the Bobcasts and Grizz really biting the Lakers.  Portland has owned the Lakers so my expectations where not too high but since NO lost I was hoping the Lakers could make up some ground.  I don't know if the Lakers can win the WC but they better make sure they hold off the Suns cause they go from 3rd to 5th or 6th if they lose the Pacific.  The toughest route looks to be in the #2 and #3 bracket the way things are set right now, then again if NO plays as well in the playoffs as they did in the regular season both brackets could be equally tough.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 11:06:16 AM »
The home loses to the Bobcasts and Grizz really biting the Lakers.  Portland has owned the Lakers so my expectations where not too high but since NO lost I was hoping the Lakers could make up some ground.  I don't know if the Lakers can win the WC but they better make sure they hold off the Suns cause they go from 3rd to 5th or 6th if they lose the Pacific.  The toughest route looks to be in the #2 and #3 bracket the way things are set right now, then again if NO plays as well in the playoffs as they did in the regular season both brackets could be equally tough.

Agreed, but regardless their seeding I don't believe the Lakers have much of a chance in the playoffs.  Maybe they'll make it out of the first round, but that's about it.  They don't play defense.  Plain and simple that will be their downfall this season.  I'm hopeful they can get everyone healthy and playing together and improve their team D next season.  We won't be seeing another championship in LA until that happens.