Author Topic: The Lakers future looks bright. Or does it?  (Read 2466 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The Lakers future looks bright. Or does it?
« on: March 28, 2008, 10:17:04 AM »
Both Ronnie and Sasha are in contract years, PJ has publicly stated that he believes part of Sasha's success this year is due to him playing in a contract year, he said the same about Bynum in this contract extension year. 

The Lakers IMO overpaid for RadMan and Luke's contract looks like a bad move as well considering his production this year vs last year when he was playing for a contract.  Sasha is probably going to be offered some teams MLE as will Ronnie.  Do the Lakers match?  I would like to keep Ronnie moreso than Sasha but I would like to keep both but that may not be possible considering the big bucks the Lakers are going to pay for Gasol.  Given the choice between Sasha and RadMan I would rather keep RadMan based on strictly on production but Sasha is a bit more versatile since he can play PG and SG, we don't really have a backup for Kobe right now.  IMO we need to keep Ronnie, Ariza and Farmar for the future, Sasha is a bit more expendable than those guys.  How long before the Lakers need to resign Odom?

The Lakers are going to need to make some tough decisions next year, it's not my money so I would prefer we keep this group together for a few more years.  I think we have Sasha's and Ronnies Birds' rights so we can sign them and still use the MLE for a role player for a position or need the Lakers are lacking.  Lots of money so I don't know if Buss will allow it to happen.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Lakers future looks bright. Or does it?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 10:25:55 AM »
Sasha shoots just as well as Radman does IMO.  He also is a lot smarter on the floor and his defense is a lot better.  If I had to choose between those two, I'd keep Sasha.  Too bad Radman is signed for another 4 years (I believe)   Wouldn't be suprised if Sasha is playing better because it's a contract year but at the same time I think the confidence that Phil has shown in him has really helped a lot.  Once the coaching staff was able to get across the point to Sasha that it's his job to shoot, regardless if hes on fire or not, he turned his game around.

As much as I am a fan of Luke Walton if I had to choose between defenders like Ronnie (who is solid) and Ariza vs Luke walton, I am going with the first two.  Luke has had injury problems since the middle of last season.  Sometimes the local sports writers and fans make it sound as if he just hurt his ankle this year and it's not something worth mentioning when they talk about his game.  He was in a zone when the Lakers were rolling last year.  Then after his injury in December of 06 he was in and out of the line up all the way till January of this year.  Not to mention if Gasol and Bynum stay around that shifts Odom to the 3.  I rather see Ariza come off the bench at the 3 for his defense then I would want to see Luke for his passing ability.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 10:42:44 AM »
Sasha shoots just as well as Radman does IMO.  He also is a lot smarter on the floor and his defense is a lot better.  If I had to choose between those two, I'd keep Sasha.  Too bad Radman is signed for another 4 years (I believe)   Wouldn't be suprised if Sasha is playing better because it's a contract year but at the same time I think the confidence that Phil has shown in him has really helped a lot.  Once the coaching staff was able to get across the point to Sasha that it's his job to shoot, regardless if hes on fire or not, he turned his game around.

As much as I am a fan of Luke Walton if I had to choose between defenders like Ronnie (who is solid) and Ariza vs Luke walton, I am going with the first two.  Luke has had injury problems since the middle of last season.  Sometimes the local sports writers and fans make it sound as if he just hurt his ankle this year and it's not something worth mentioning when they talk about his game.  He was in a zone when the Lakers were rolling last year.  Then after his injury in December of 06 he was in and out of the line up all the way till January of this year.  Not to mention if Gasol and Bynum stay around that shifts Odom to the 3.  I rather see Ariza come off the bench at the 3 for his defense then I would want to see Luke for his passing ability.

How many years do you think Fisher has left as a starter?  It seems to me that Farmar is being groomed as the next starting PG and Ariza looks to be Kobe's back up so Sasha looks very expendable.  I really like Sasha's lack of concious  when it comes to shooting, too many Lakers defer to Kobe in fear of missing a shot or making a mistake.  Sasha shoots when I don't want him to, when I think he SHOULD defer to Kobe but that is exactly what you need on this team.  Ronnie is priority 1, his hustle and attitude infects everyone on the Lakers and they cannot afford to lose that aspect of the team, not to mention he is one of the better backup front court players in the league.  Sasha has only been this good and consistent for one year, a contract year, how many times have we seen this before?  I will give him the benefit of the doubt since he is still in his rookie contract and it could just be natural progression.  Hope they keep this same EXACT team together for a few more years.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 11:02:28 AM »

How many years do you think Fisher has left as a starter?  It seems to me that Farmar is being groomed as the next starting PG and Ariza looks to be Kobe's back up so Sasha looks very expendable.  I really like Sasha's lack of concious  when it comes to shooting, too many Lakers defer to Kobe in fear of missing a shot or making a mistake.  Sasha shoots when I don't want him to, when I think he SHOULD defer to Kobe but that is exactly what you need on this team.  Ronnie is priority 1, his hustle and attitude infects everyone on the Lakers and they cannot afford to lose that aspect of the team, not to mention he is one of the better backup front court players in the league.  Sasha has only been this good and consistent for one year, a contract year, how many times have we seen this before?  I will give him the benefit of the doubt since he is still in his rookie contract and it could just be natural progression.  Hope they keep this same EXACT team together for a few more years.

Fish probably has one more year in him.  He is in very good shape and looks to not have any nagging injuries.  I think even Ted might say he looks better this year then last year when he was in Utah.  However we all know that guys can get old overnight so i'd say he has one more year coming off the bench.  Farmar is being groomed by both Phil Jackson and Derek Fisher himself.  From what I've heard/read Fish was really took Farmar under his wing and has tried to teach what he's learned about the game to the young PG.

Ariza I thought would play the 3 off the bench more so then a back up to Kobe.  I think a good plan of attack for the Lakers is to put Ariza on the best player on the other squad instead of having Kobe guard that player.  While at the same time having Kobe on the floor to score.   He could back up Kobe though.  He can defend and slash.  So if Kobe hits the bench you don't have the same caliber scorer but you don't lose slashing and defense like you would when Maurice Evans would come in.   Ariza was a very solid pick up and he went right under everyone's radar.  They can't let him go now that his talent has got to shine a bit more in a bigger market.  I'd put him higher on the list then most of the players other then Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, Odom, and Turiaf.

Im probably in the minority but I think Ronnie's defense is underrated.  I don't think he's going to be a great post defender ever but he is a solid rebounder, he hustles, he has a big body to bang, and he actively defends the paint.  When you team that up with his 'perfect teammate' attitude and it's a no brainer.  I think he should be the first person they go to re-sign as well.

They BETTER keep most of this squad together for years.  If Buss has to spend money he better do it especially if it looks like extra money that might go to Laker games/apparel is going to end up in people's gas tank or paying for the higher cost of food.  Would as many people be attending games right now if the Lakers had the same squad they did the year they missed the playoffs?  I think I rather fill up 10 dollars worth of gas (a whoppin 2.5 gallons out here lol) then fill up on a 10 dollar cup of beer if that product was still on the floor.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 11:06:32 AM by westkoast »

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 01:28:26 PM »
Look, with Kobe, Odom, Bynum and Gasol you have a decent team.  All you need to do is find a decent point guard and a bunch of role players with potential and the Lakers will get to the finals plenty of times.

Worrying about Sasha or Ronnie seems silly.  Players like that are available all over the NBA. I think they'd rather keep them than loose them, bit if some team comes after them, they won't overpay to keep them.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 02:01:41 PM »
I think Buss understands that if he spends money -- he will make even more than he did before.  The Lakers were stupid (see Mitch) to sign Radman for so much money.  He is a back-up at best and is being paid starter money.  

This squad has a very bright future -- it would be silly to not keep them together.  If they want to dump a little salary, see if they can jettison Radman for draft picks or an expiring contract.  The Lakers need to keep both Sasha and Turiaf for the 2nd unit.  One of the reasons that I believe Sasha is shooting so well this year (although I do agree that the other half of it is the confidence that PJ has shown in him) is that he is getting more open looks this year.  

Turiaf is a free agent after this year -- he won't go high, at least I don't think so.  Around $3 to $4 mill a year.  Sasha might command a little higher (MLE) but he is a restricted free agent and the Lakers have the ability to match.

I just spent some time looking at this -- it's definately a little scary for the Lakers -- next summer ('09), the Lakers will have Mihm coming off the books but will have Bynum, Odom and Ariza all up for contract extensions.

Look at the numbers:
      $23,000,000.00    Kobe
      $16,500,000.00    Pau
        $6,500,000.00    Rad
        $5,000,000.00    Derek
        $4,800,000.00    Walton
        $5,000,000.00    Sasha
        $2,000,000.00    Farmar
        $3,500,000.00    Turiaf

Without Bynum, Odom and Ariza, the Lakers are at $66,000,000 (which is almost the cap this year) -- if you add Bynum and Odom at $10,000,000 each and then add Ariza at $3.5 mill -- that puts the Lakers at almost $90 mill a year!  

I'm not sure that I see Buss doing that.  They need to trade Radman and get him off the books (if they can find anyone to take him at almost $7 mill a year).  I'm not sure that I see how Buss is going to pony up and pay Kobe, Bynum, Pau and Odom.  Maybe it's time for Kobe to renegotiate his salary like KG did!  Lamar isn't going to get $15 mill a year anywhere else (at least I can't imagine that he would).  He needs to drop -- it's just hard to imagine him being willing to drop all the way to $8 or $9 mill a year.  

Hopefully, Buss is working out the math and figuring out a way!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 02:15:30 PM »
Look, with Kobe, Odom, Bynum and Gasol you have a decent team.  All you need to do is find a decent point guard and a bunch of role players with potential and the Lakers will get to the finals plenty of times.
Our marketing analysis agrees.  We have upped production again in anticipation of the 2008-9 season.

Worrying about Sasha or Ronnie seems silly.  Players like that are available all over the NBA. I think they'd rather keep them than loose them, bit if some team comes after them, they won't overpay to keep them.
Rick i wish you would be a little more sthenthitive to our Laker posters.  They were devastated when Derek and George left.  Having Derek back and Sasha on board caters to a large population of Lakerists.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 02:17:15 PM »

Good point and it does seem a little bit much to debate over role players when you have a 4 guy core like that.  However I think Ronnie is an important part of this team.  On top of that this whole squad has built great chemistry and I think removing certain guys who are liked in the locker room, like Sasha and Ronnie, it does tend to mess with it a bit.

I always knew Reality was gay for the Lakers.  Now that he types in a lisp when speaking about them it can be confirmed.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 02:46:15 PM »
I disagree with Rick (shocker) and anyone esle that believes Ronny and Sasha are expendable and can easily be replaced with other players.  While on paper this might be true, chemistry is huge in the NBA and these guys have been a significant part of the teams success this year.  They're great locker room guys who seem to get along with everyone and are a big reason that the Lakers along with Detroit have arguably the best bench in the league. 

This team for the first time in a long time, seems to genuinely like being around each other on the floor and off of it.  I haven't seen this type of team unity since I can't remember when.  Even the 2000-2003 Championship teams didn't have it.  Sure winning makes it look like everyone loves each other, but we all know that wasn't the case with that last dynasty.  I genuinely feel these guys like each other and Ronny and Sasha are an integral part of that.  IMO, that shouldn't be underestimated. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 02:56:33 PM »
I disagree with Rick (shocker) and anyone esle that believes Ronny and Sasha are expendable and can easily be replaced with other players.  While on paper this might be true, chemistry is huge in the NBA and these guys have been a significant part of the teams success this year.  They're great locker room guys who seem to get along with everyone and are a big reason that the Lakers along with Detroit have arguably the best bench in the league. 

This team for the first time in a long time, seems to genuinely like being around each other on the floor and off of it.  I haven't seen this type of team unity since I can't remember when.  Even the 2000-2003 Championship teams didn't have it.  Sure winning makes it look like everyone loves each other, but we all know that wasn't the case with that last dynasty.  I genuinely feel these guys like each other and Ronny and Sasha are an integral part of that.  IMO, that shouldn't be underestimated. 

I think Sasha is expendable and Ronnie is not.  Regardless of what numbers Buss crunches, the price to keep the team together is going to be determined by other teams in the league in that they will offer money to the Laker players and the Lakers can chose to match or not.  I think Odom might not stay a Laker for much longer, I don't see the Lakers keeping Odom if it risks losing Bynum to the open market.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »
My thought is sort of in line with MSC's.

I would HATE to see us lose Turiaf or Sasha, the Lakers have one of the most frightening benches in the NBA precisely BECAUSE these cats are more than just anyone you can find anywhere in the NBA. They both understand the triangle, they both know their roles, they get along very well with everyone else, and Sasha, Randy points out, is shooting better because he IS getting better looks because of the overall offensive firepower of LA, especially inside.

Anyone who discounts Ronnie's energy and intensity off the bench, his enthusiasm, his defensive presense for his size in the post and his infectious good attitude is a fool, which is why Minnie Me's comments don't surprise me.

I think LA understands Farmar must be retained, but what to do about Walton, now there is the problem. Radmanovich needs to go away, but Luke off the bench can be a real spark and definately makes LA's second unit a first rate threat. Don't know what to do with Odom except to move him to SF, but Odom was absolutely thriving in his role as 3rd option so I don't see that as a big issue if it happens that way.

As much as I like Luke, I would give him up before Odom, Rad is a slam dunk lose the cat decision. Between Sasha and Turiaf, I would give up Sasha, as much as I like his scoring, I like Ronnie's energy and defense more.

Point is, as MSC said, this team has a chemistry that is rare in LA LA land, and it should be kept together if at all possible, LA can clearly challenge for a title for a few years if they stay healthy, and if they stay together.
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 03:36:19 PM »
Keepers in order of preferance:
Kobe
Gasol
Bynum
Odom
Turiaf
Ariza
Farmar
Fisher
RadMan
Walton
Sasha

Completely expendable:
Karl
Benga
Mihm
Newble

When do the playoff rosters need to be finalized?  The Lakers are two players over, Mihm will obviously be carried on injury reserve, who else gets put there?  Karl, Newble or Benga?  My preferance is Karl but the other depends on the health of Bynum, Gasol and Ariza.  If the bigs are still hurt then we keep Benga but if Ariza is still hurt then we keep Newble.  If Bynum gets put there then we know the prognosis is not good short term.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 01:54:04 PM »
Keepers in order of preferance:
Kobe
Gasol
Bynum
Odom
Turiaf
Ariza
Farmar
Fisher
RadMan
Walton
Sasha

Completely expendable:
Karl
Benga
Mihm
Newble

When do the playoff rosters need to be finalized?  The Lakers are two players over, Mihm will obviously be carried on injury reserve, who else gets put there?  Karl, Newble or Benga?  My preferance is Karl but the other depends on the health of Bynum, Gasol and Ariza.  If the bigs are still hurt then we keep Benga but if Ariza is still hurt then we keep Newble.  If Bynum gets put there then we know the prognosis is not good short term.

I can't agree with you on the keeper list -- I think Ariza is as important as Turiaf -- I think Fisher is more important than both of them (at this point -- not necessarily for the future).  I would NEVER put Sasha below RadMan or Walton -- in fact, I'd say that RadMan is completely expendable and Sasha is above Walton.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 10:23:34 AM »
I can't agree with you on the keeper list -- I think Ariza is as important as Turiaf -- I think Fisher is more important than both of them (at this point -- not necessarily for the future).  I would NEVER put Sasha below RadMan or Walton -- in fact, I'd say that RadMan is completely expendable and Sasha is above Walton.

For the money, I would like to get rid of RadMan first Luke second but as far as what they bring to the court, replacing a sharp shooter like Sasha is easier than replacing RadMan, a big who can spread the floor IMO is more valuable than Sasha, plus Sasha has not shown to be consistent, nor has Walton, RadMan on the other hand is a proven scorer.  I don't think Ariza is as important as Turiaf and Fish is on his last legs plus there is a replacement for him in the wings in Farmar already.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 12:50:45 PM »

For the money, I would like to get rid of RadMan first Luke second but as far as what they bring to the court, replacing a sharp shooter like Sasha is easier than replacing RadMan, a big who can spread the floor IMO is more valuable than Sasha, plus Sasha has not shown to be consistent, nor has Walton, RadMan on the other hand is a proven scorer.  I don't think Ariza is as important as Turiaf and Fish is on his last legs plus there is a replacement for him in the wings in Farmar already.

But what you are missing is the defensive end of the court -- Sasha is a great defender while Radman is horribly pathetic!  There are sharp shooters out there that you can get (the SG is the deepest position in the NBA today) but how many sharpshooters are defensive stoppers?  I think that raises Sasha's importance to LA quite a bit.  I think Sasha is vital to the Lakers future.

I think Turiaf is vital as a bench role player -- his hustle, basketball IQ and energy are tremendous coming off the bench.  It's so easy to undervalue these attributes and they are sooo important.  I could overvalue Ariza -- I think he understands the game and I love defensive specialists.  If he could work on his 3 point shooting, this guy could be a clean version of Bruce Bowen.

I understand that a big man like Radman who can shoot from 3 is important -- but that's they way they teach them in Euro land -- just grab another big guy from Europe and you have Radman's replacement!  I just can't stand the guy.