Author Topic: Can you slap an NBA All-Star Champion together?  (Read 2742 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Can you slap an NBA All-Star Champion together?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 11:41:35 AM »
So it's TWO  current or former all-stars?  They can be all-stars at any point in their career and be added to help make a title run?  Again this is why I asked you to be more clear.   Malone and Payton were former all-stars but were not still all-star players.  Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett are still all-star players.  Pretty much what I getting at is the fact that this pretty much has never happened outside of two instances in the history of the NBA.  That is not even considering them having to win the title that same year.

What was the other instance?  I cannot remember if Theus and Malone were all-stars the year they joined the Hawks, I just remember it being big news that they added these guys and were primed to challenge the Celts.  Turned out the Pistons were the team to beat.

That is why I asked the question in the first place, I cannot remember if it ever happened.

What about when the Lakers added Hoarce Grant and Glen Rice for their title run?  Does that count?  They were former all-stars like Malone and Payton.

FYI, Ho and Rice were not on the Lakers at the same time.

The other factor to consider is a guy not making the all-star team despite deserving it because of an oversite of too many all-stars already in the mix already.  How many times has Brand missed the all-star game because the West has been stacked with all-star PF's?

So to make things easier, they must be within one year of an all-star appearance (either current, one year ago or one year from being an all-star) and joining a team the same year they win the title.  More than one all-star of course.  If Boston wins it all this year are they making history?  We can even open it up to all-star caliber (i.e. Baron Davis and Manu being all-star caliber but not making the team).

Fair enough?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 12:49:58 PM »
Sixteen posts to get to the answer. No, it never has happened.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 01:11:05 PM »
Err, it hasn't happened yet, but I think this time it will.

It worked adding one all-star to complete a team.  Detroit added Rasheed Wallace and won a Championship.  Philadelphia added Moses Malone to a team that had already been to the finals, but couldn't win it, and they won with Moses.

It's simply rare that a team is in a position to go after two All-Star players, so it hasn't been a common occurrence.  Without a large sample, it's hard to answer the question authoritatively, but I would speculate yes.

If you add the right pieces together, regardless of how they're assembled, you can build a team that can contend for a Championship. There is never a guarantee that you will succeed.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 01:21:03 PM »
^^ Boston added Bob Parish and drafted Kevin McHale to begin the 1980-81 Championship season and begin the irrefutable GOAT teams along with Philly and Malone during '81-'86.  While Bob had already put up Parish type numbers in only his 3rd season with Golden State, 18 pts and 9 boards were not enough to put him into the All Star game.

Billy Walton joined the Celts for 1986s Championship, but his previous All Star years were well before '86.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 01:24:26 PM »

Can you clarify what you mean when you say, "No, it never has happened."

::)

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 01:34:32 PM »
^^ Boston added Bob Parish and drafted Kevin McHale to begin the 1980-81 Championship season and begin the irrefutable GOAT teams along with Philly and Malone during '81-'86.  While Bob had already put up Parish type numbers in only his 3rd season with Golden State, 18 pts and 9 boards were not enough to put him into the All Star game.

Billy Walton joined the Celts for 1986s Championship, but his previous All Star years were well before '86.

There we go...and there are others.

As far as having two CURRENT all-stars leave a team in the off-season to go to the same team, that I think has never happened outside of this past year.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 01:37:59 PM »

Yes, please clarify "it" and "happened".  You might confuse the "lil uns".
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 01:42:55 PM »

Better yet use bablefish to put it into spanish so our resident hombre can do a better job of communicating his point for a debate.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 01:58:44 PM »
I cannot think of an NBA champ that was assembled and won the title in the same year

Does the Sixers adding MVP Moses and winning the title that year count?  It was also the first year Andrew Toney was a starter (although he was on the team the prior 2 years), and it was Marc Iavoroni's rookie year.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 02:15:14 PM »

I'm gonna belt you!!

Oh, right - you have already been belted. How's that going?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2008, 02:20:07 PM »

Yes, please clarify "it" and "happened".  You might confuse the "lil uns".

EXCUUUUUUSE ME!!!!!

No <a Stephen King novel> has never <come to pass>/<taken place>/<turned out>

What is it with you guys - have a post quota you have to achieve/attain/accomplish/reach?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2008, 02:46:09 PM »

I'm gonna belt you!!

Oh, right - you have already been belted. How's that going?

Pretty decently actually, still losing weight, but now it a very little at a time.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2008, 02:51:38 PM »
I cannot think of an NBA champ that was assembled and won the title in the same year

Does the Sixers adding MVP Moses and winning the title that year count?  It was also the first year Andrew Toney was a starter (although he was on the team the prior 2 years), and it was Marc Iavoroni's rookie year.

Nope, looking for multiple all-stars because that implies the team had to come from a ways away to become champs.   The Celts were irrelevent until the aquisitions of KG and Allen.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"