Author Topic: Can you slap an NBA All-Star Champion together?  (Read 2747 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Can you slap an NBA All-Star Champion together?
« on: March 28, 2008, 09:26:22 AM »
I cannot think of an NBA champ that was assembled and won the title in the same year.  Atlanta tried it once by adding Moses and Theus but they did not make it out of their conference.  To a certain extent the Lakers tried it with Malone and Payton even though they had Kobe and Shaq and they lost in the finals.  Has it every happened where a team stacked up with all-stars and won the title?

Boston looks so unstoppable right now.  They added two all-stars, KG being HUGE, and they are rolling over most anyone even though this is the first year that the big three have been together.  Just wondering if the Celtics are on the verge of making history, I know the Pistons will have something to say about that as will the WC champ, yet it has been very interesting to watch.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can you slap an NBA All-Star Champion together?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 09:31:11 AM »
What's the criteria for 'slapping the team together' ?    Is it MAJOR moves in one off-season like what Boston did?  Or is it something like the 1998-1999 Houston Rockets who just a few years earlier traded the farm for Barkley then went after Pippen and some other supporting players? 

Portland immediately came to mind when I read the thread title.  That certainly did not work. They tried multiple times too.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 09:35:10 AM »
What's the criteria for 'slapping the team together' ?    Is it MAJOR moves in one off-season like what Boston did?  Or is it something like the 1998-1999 Houston Rockets who just a few years earlier traded the farm for Barkley then went after Pippen and some other supporting players? 

Portland immediately came to mind when I read the thread title.  That certainly did not work. They tried multiple times too.

I'm looking for a success story in case you missed it.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 09:56:59 AM »

I'm looking for a success story in case you missed it.

And I am asking you what the criteria is for 'slapping a team together' in case you missed it.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 10:09:04 AM »
And I am asking you what the criteria is for 'slapping a team together' in case you missed it.

Since you missed it:

I cannot think of an NBA champ that was assembled and won the title in the same year.  Atlanta tried it once by adding Moses and Theus but they did not make it out of their conference.  To a certain extent the Lakers tried it with Malone and Payton even though they had Kobe and Shaq and they lost in the finals.  Has it every happened where a team stacked up with all-stars and won the title?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 10:17:30 AM »
I know it's early and you were up arguing with 14 year olds about sniper rifles in COD4 late but...you are not being clear enough.  So the criteria is  just adding one or two players to try to put them over the top?  Does that include drafting and/or strictly a free agent signing?  There are very few teams who've added all-star players for a one year run.  The Lakers are one but that team was 85% built.  The Suns look to be another but that team was about 85% before Shaq got there.

Would you say that the Miami Heat squad who won the title a few years back was slapped together because they added Shaq?  It wasn't right away but the team was certainly slapped together.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 10:19:05 AM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 10:20:33 AM »
Sorry to interupt this "Clash of the Titans" but for the love of goodness B-Rad,

I cannot think of an NBA champ that was assembled and won the title in the same year.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 10:22:43 AM »
I know it's early and you were up arguing with 14 year olds about sniper rifles in COD4 late but...you are not being clear enough.  So the criteria is  just adding one or two players to try to put them over the top?  Does that include drafting and/or strictly a free agent signing?  There are very few teams who've added all-star players for a one year run.  The Lakers are one but that team was 85% built.  The Suns look to be another but that team was about 85% before Shaq got there.

Would you say that the Miami Heat squad who won the title a few years back was slapped together because they added Shaq?  It wasn't right away but the team was certainly slapped together.

I said in the initial post assemble and win in the SAME YEAR!  I also posted all-starS, plural, meaning more than one.  Seesh!  If you are baiting brilliant, if you really didn't get it, dumbarse!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 10:28:50 AM »
Ok so the first year Magic was on the Lakers and they won the title that falls under this then?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 10:32:32 AM »
Whatever the criteria, I don't see the Celts getting by detroit in the playoffs...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
Sorry to interupt this "Clash of the Titans" but for the love of goodness B-Rad,

I cannot think of an NBA champ that was assembled and won the title in the same year.

Wow, no matter how hard I could try, I could never insult weakkoast more than pointing out that Reality "got it" and PlaySkool smarty pants did NOT!  Dam you TED, this was the time and place to use the word we will not speak this week!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 10:34:19 AM »
Ok so the first year Magic was on the Lakers and they won the title that falls under this then?

That could be a candidate but not really.  Atlanta already had Doc and Nique when they added Moses and Theus but like I said all-starS, PLURAL!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 10:35:52 AM »
Whatever the criteria, I don't see the Celts getting by detroit in the playoffs...

I agree.  It's odd to consider the number 2 team in the conference a dark horse but since the Celtics are already being annointed the NBA Champs, the ECF should be a given and if they lose it will be an upset.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 10:45:16 AM »

That could be a candidate but not really.  Atlanta already had Doc and Nique when they added Moses and Theus but like I said all-starS, PLURAL!

So it's TWO  current or former all-stars?  They can be all-stars at any point in their career and be added to help make a title run?  Again this is why I asked you to be more clear.   Malone and Payton were former all-stars but were not still all-star players.  Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett are still all-star players.  Pretty much what I getting at is the fact that this pretty much has never happened outside of two instances in the history of the NBA.  That is not even considering them having to win the title that same year.

What about when the Lakers added Hoarce Grant and Glen Rice for their title run?  Does that count?  They were former all-stars like Malone and Payton.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 11:02:47 AM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 11:05:28 AM »
Orlando also plays the Celtics very well if the bracketing end up ORL vs Celtics.