Author Topic: Sixers beat the Celtics in Beantown.  (Read 2280 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers beat the Celtics in Beantown.
« on: March 24, 2008, 10:19:28 PM »
Just their biggest win of the season against the heir apparents to the Championship.

The game was Boston's until they were ahead by 9 with 8:20 left, when the Sixers went on a 19-0 scoring run.  Basically, they shut down Boston's offense, by stealing the ball, playing excellent defense, rebounding the ball and making shots.  Just the way they beat Detroit and San Antonio, except more emphatically.

They are now 1/2 game ahead of Toronto and in the 6th spot. Washington is still a game ahead and has two games in hand.  The Wizards are now heading out to the West Coast, and that might give the Sixers a chance to pass them and get into the 5th spot.  Cleveland continues to lose games, and it is still possible for the Sixers to catch them and gain home-court advantage in the first round.

I doubt that any E.C. team wants to be matched up against the Sixers with the way they're playing now.

Big games coming up with Chicago, Phoenix and Cleveland.  This time, the Suns are playing well with Shaq and it will be a better test.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Sixers beat the Celtics in Beantown.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 10:26:24 PM »
Big games coming up with Chicago, Phoenix and Cleveland.  This time, the Suns are playing well with Shaq and it will be a better test.

I think the biggest of those three will be against the Cavs, that should be a very telling game with playoff implications.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:39:25 PM »
Unfortunately, I missed the game tonight -- the Sixers definately earned their props by beating the Celts.  This definately bodes well for their future -- not this year, although they will earn some important playoff experience. 

Props to Derek and Rick on the win tonight -- it was a BIG one!  I still don't agree with Rick's total assessment of the Sixers but they are definately earning their respect around the league these days.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 10:32:15 AM »

Props to Derek and Rick on the win tonight -- it was a BIG one!  I still don't agree with Rick's total assessment of the Sixers but they are definately earning their respect around the league these days.

Randy what are you talking about.  The Sixers are starting to play up to the level Rick has been hyping them for the past 2-3 years!

Props on the win.  WOW is right.  That Cavs matchup is going to be much more important then the game with PHX.  Although I'd love to see them win there as well so they stay lower in the seeding.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 10:43:45 AM »
I just don't think that the Sixers are going to last very long in the playoffs and I still think they are about 12th or 13th in the league.  How well they do in the playoffs will really tell the story -- if the Sixers win in the first round, I will be happy to give Rick the props and admit that I was wrong and he was right.  I don't think they have what it takes at this point.  I think most teams are just beginning to put the Sixers on the radar.  Teams will begin to come prepared to play the Sixers rather than just come prepared to play -- while that doesn't put them in the top 8 in the league -- it is definately a compliment!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 10:45:17 AM »
I just don't think that the Sixers are going to last very long in the playoffs and I still think they are about 12th or 13th in the league.  How well they do in the playoffs will really tell the story -- if the Sixers win in the first round, I will be happy to give Rick the props and admit that I was wrong and he was right.  I don't think they have what it takes at this point.  I think most teams are just beginning to put the Sixers on the radar.  Teams will begin to come prepared to play the Sixers rather than just come prepared to play -- while that doesn't put them in the top 8 in the league -- it is definately a compliment!

They won't get past Detroit or Boston in a series but I think they could give any other teams in the East a run for their money depending how the seeding looks at the end of the regular season.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 10:51:50 AM »

They won't get past Detroit or Boston in a series but I think they could give any other teams in the East a run for their money depending how the seeding looks at the end of the regular season.

I think the Magic whip them quick -- I'd give the Sixers one win in a five game series.  As for the Cavs, I don't think that Iggy beats LeBron -- I think they Cavs win but it's a better series than if they faced Detroit, Boston or Orlando.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 11:13:51 AM »
If the Sixers beat the Cavs in the playoffs I will admit they are MUCH better than I thought.

If the Sixers beat Boston, Detroit or Orlando in the playoffs then I will admit Rick was 100% correct and I don't know what the hell I was posting about in regards to the Sixers. 

Obviously injuries to key personnel can throw everything out of whack.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 11:48:55 AM »

I think the Magic whip them quick -- I'd give the Sixers one win in a five game series.  As for the Cavs, I don't think that Iggy beats LeBron -- I think they Cavs win but it's a better series than if they faced Detroit, Boston or Orlando.

Rick correct me if I am wrong (I don't feel like going to look) but I believe they split the last two meetings with close games both times.

If the Sixers can beat Detroit, Boston, and SA in the span of 2 1/2 weeks I think they can give the Cavs a tough series.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 09:00:25 PM »
I think they have only played the Cavaliers once, in Cleveland, where they won.  The game was back in December, well before the trade and well before the Sixers started playing like a team.  I think it's better to look at the games coming up, as they play the Cavs twice before the playoffs, and could theoretically catch them for the Fourth spot.  That game was too long ago to have any relevance.

I want to clear something up- I never said the Sixers were a contender for the title this year. All I said was that they were playing much better than their record, and that the way they were playing was very effective and well-suited to their personnel.  I think I said they were the 10th best team in the league, maybe 8th at their very best.

Remember at one point I wanted them to throw games and get a high draft choice.  I had no idea that they would be this good!  They are now exceeding my expectations for them and causing me to reevaluate my predictions.

Over their past 24 games they are 19 and 5.  Houston, LA and Boston are the only other teams playing as well over the same period.  They have played as tough a schedule as any team, and has beaten every elite team they have faced.

I just saw them beat Chicago.  This time, the Sixers were determined to stay ahead the whole game and almost blew the Bulls out of the building in the first half.  The Bulls were able to get it under 10 during the third quarter, and I never saw a team so determined to get the lead back above 20 as the Sixers were.

They are playing so well now that they have another gear.  Those of you who are fans of good teams know what I'm talking about.  They just assert their will and take control of the game.  They are a defense first team, that wants to run.  They are probably the most athletic team in the league, or at least the top 5. They play excellent half-court defense, function above average in half-court offense, and are at the top of the league in fast break points.

It's hard to project what a team like this will do in the playoffs. They depend on the developing talents of a rookie in Thad Young, and Lou Williams who, although not a starter, is now always in at the end of the game. I think in the future both of these players will be recognized as All-Stars.

Andre Igoudala is now playing as a premier 2 in the NBA, ala Michael Jordan.  He has added an outside shot to his quick first step and can pretty much get a basket whenever he wants. He plays excellent defense and is one of the league leaders in steals. He's not quite at the level of Kobe or LeBron, but he's close enough.

The Sixers aren't as strong at the 4 and 5 spots as the elite teams.  But Dalembert and Evans are able to rebound with the best of them, and are a very effective defensive group.

They have great control, because Andre Miller is a true point guard and keeps the team focused, whatever the team needs, Andre supplies.  If he can get assists all night he's happy as a clam, but when the Sixers lost their lead, he went right down on the block, posted up Ben Gordon and scored.

They have a lot of depth at the 1,2 and 3 spots, but are a bit vulnerable up front, since after Dalembert and Evans, they have a rookie Jason Smith, and a guy who can't play in Calvin Booth.  Shavlik Randolph and Louis Amundsen don't get and real playing time.

As of now, I think they have moved up from a team that could make the playoffs to a team that could cause an upset in the first round, and possibly even the second.  Cleveland is playing pretty badly lately, 5-5, while the Sixers continue to play at an .800 pace. Unless the Cavs learn how to use their new players and gell as a team, the Sixers will beat them in a series, IMO.

I would love to see the Sixers get the 4th spot and match up with the Cavaliers. Unfortunately, that means they'd play the Celtics in the next round. I feel a lot better about that matchup, after seeing the Sixers beat the Celts, but beating them in a series seems to be too much to expect from such a young team.

The way they are playing is making it very enjoyable to be a Sixers fan. Unless Washington gets Gilbert Arenas back, the Sixers are the most likely team to upset a favored opponent in the EC playoffs.  Maybe  not an elite team just yet, but playing like a very good imitation of one.     

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 10:13:21 PM »
You know what Rick, toot the Sixers horn.  They are playing solid basketball and like you said some of the best ball in the league.  EC or not, props need to be given. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 09:46:42 AM »
It's been a long time since Sixers fans had anything to cheer about.  This team is more exciting for me to watch develop than the Iverson team.

The major difference between the two is that the rise under Larry Brown was slow and steady.  The team progressed for several years, before making it's way to the finals.  This team suddenly became very good over the course of less than half a season.

The new team has no history, has accomplished nothing other than a mid-season winning streak, and still gets little or no respect from the press.  I thought that power rankings were supposed to be about who is hot now. Yet the Sixers are listed behind, Denver, Dallas, Detroit & Phoenix, teams they had just beaten in the last 2 weeks.

No one talks about Cheeks as being the coach of the year, but the Sixers were supposed to finish dead-last according to the "experts".  They spend more time covering AI's visit to Philly than they did the Sixers even though they had been winning well before that.

OK, so they get little or no respect.  That's fine, everyone has to pay their dues in one way or another.  The only way they will get their props is to keep winning.

The nice thing about this group is that they are built to last beyond this season.  All of the players other than Andre Miller are very young. The Sixers will only get better as they gain more experience, and maybe another player or two.

I like this group better than the Sixers team that went to the finals.  I think they are much more talented, and although they play a similar style are a much better scoring team.  IF you could time warp and have the two teams play each other, the team that went to the finals would loose to this one, IMO.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 09:57:31 AM »
I like this group better than the Sixers team that went to the finals.  I think they are much more talented, and although they play a similar style are a much better scoring team.  IF you could time warp and have the two teams play each other, the team that went to the finals would loose to this one, IMO.

Not even close.  The "old" team had the coach of the year, sixth man of the year and the defensive players of the year.  The talent level and skills of the "old" team is much better and the "old" team would wipe the floor with the current squad.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 10:32:51 AM »
Your saying you know my Sixers teams better than I do?

I saw both teams play and I saw them both develop.  I was familiar with their talent level and abilities. The only player on the Sixers with any real talent was Iverson.  The rest were role players, who worked very hard on defense and couldn't score or shoot to save their lives.  George Lynch, Aaron McKie and Eric Snow were all role players, not all stars. Ratliff isn't a top 10 center and never was.

The old team plays defense and ran off of their steals.  So does this team.  But Andre Igoudala is a future all star, and so is Louis Williams and Thad Young.  Andre Miller is a much better point than Eric Snow. Igoudala is so much better than Aaron McKie comparisons are useless. Dalembert is a better rebounder, shot-blocker and defender than Ratliff or Mutumbo.  Reggie Miller is every bit the equal of George Lynch.

This edition of the Sixers is far more talented and can execute in the half court without relying on an Iverson to do the bulk of the scoring.  The old edition could get chocked out of games- all you had to do was stop AI and the team would fold.  The new team is faster, more athletic and has better shooters. You can't stop any one player on this team and know you're going to win. 

The difference is that the old team could only win by playing defense, and could never think about outscoring anyone.  This team can run most teams into the ground and can outscore most of them, and they play defense just as well.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 10:47:10 AM »
Your saying you know my Sixers teams better than I do?

Yea, pretty much. 

FYI it's you're NOT your.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"