Author Topic: Poll on NBA.com: Who is the best PF of all time?  (Read 2745 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Poll on NBA.com: Who is the best PF of all time?
« on: March 21, 2008, 12:56:15 PM »
They list Barkley, Duncan, Karl Malone, McHale and Petit.

Currently the rankings are:

1. Barkley 41%
2. Duncan 29%
3. Karl Malone 26%
4. Kevin McHale 3%
5. Bob Petit 1%

I guess the people who respond to these polls are too young to know any better.  No one had better inside moves than Kevin McHale.  I am a Philly fan, and even I wouldn't put Barkley ahead of McHale!

In fact, there is no one in the NBA today who has Kevin's moves.  If I ever ran a big man camp, that would be their televison for the evening, watching Kevin post up every decent player in the NBA of the time.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Poll on NBA.com: Who is the best PF of all time?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 01:06:16 PM »
IMO TD is a true center.  Not only was McHale the most skilled offensive PF to every play the game, including TD, but his defense was terrific as well.  Overall because of his size, effectivness and team defensive ability I would give the edge to TD.  IMO TD and Kevin are clearly better than Sir Charles, but I would not argue against Malone being ranked ahead of him either.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 01:15:54 PM »
I agree with WOW, Duncan plays out of position but based on where he does play, I would put him above McHale and definately put Malone above Barkley.

If you go by where a player SHOULD be playing McHale was more hated to me than Bird in the "80's, he dominated the paint. Malone has it all over Sir Charles.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 01:27:30 PM »
Ill take Malone over Barkley any day of the week.  Especially when you consider how good of shape he was in for his entire career.

Duncan, whether out of position or not, is still a PF and IMO the greatest one of all time.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 01:50:41 PM »
Duncan and Malone are the best, in that order. I would give the edge to Barkley for third, then McHale and then Pettit. As they used to say about Pettit, they were just called 'forwards' before his time.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 02:17:17 PM »
McHale was a much better clutch performer than any of them, including Duncan, IMO.

His injury problems shortened his career and prevented him from winning more titles, but for a while there, he was the most unstoppable big man in the NBA, and he could make his free-throws as well.

Bottom line:  McHale over Duncan because of his superior offensive moves.   

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 02:45:22 PM »
McHale was a much better clutch performer than any of them, including Duncan, IMO.

His injury problems shortened his career and prevented him from winning more titles, but for a while there, he was the most unstoppable big man in the NBA, and he could make his free-throws as well.

Bottom line:  McHale over Duncan because of his superior offensive moves.   

McHale wasn't even the best player on his team.  Also it took him 5 seasons before he became a starter.  It is a lot easier to be "clutch" when everyone else is watching the other forward. 

McHale was a great player and deservedly was one of the all time 50 but he is not the best PF of all time.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 11:45:27 AM »
The Celtics liked having McHale come off the bench for his offense.  Bird was a small forward, not a power forward, and did more of his scoring from the outside.  Kevin was a much better post-up player.

In addition with Parrish and Maxwell, the Celtics could afford to have Kevin come in as a reserve.  It was Parrish and McHale that beat Sampson and Olajuwon in '86.

McHale has three Championship rings, a couple of Sixth Man of the year awards and great rebounding numbers.

Contrast that with Malone who never won anything and was considered to be a dirty, whinny bitch.

Barkley says McHale was the best player he ever went up against.  The only one I'd put up there with him is Duncan, and as I said McHale has much better post moves than Duncan will ever have.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 12:17:17 PM »
Contrast that with Malone who never won anything and was considered to be a dirty, whinny bitch.

And Kevin McHale was not a dirty, whiny bitch?

And Karl Malone never won anything?

Karl Malone was just about unstoppable on offense (especially when he developed his jumper); he was rebounding machine, and was a great defender. He also ran the break better than any big man ever had or has to this day, and he was one of the better passing PFs of his day. As a player, Karl Malone's only weaknesses were were that he did not play with three All-Stars on his team, and of course, he played in Michael Jordan's world.

Two-time MVP
Played for 19 seasons missed a total of 52 games
In his first 18 seasons, he missed a total of ten games (he played in 1,434 out of his first 1,444) while receiving (and doling out) more punishment than just about anyone.

Career stats: 37.2 MIN, 25.0 PPG, 10.1 RPG, 3.6 AST, 1.4 STL, 51% FG, 74% FT

2nd All-time on scoring list with 36,928 points
1st all-time in FTs attempted and made
1st all-time in defensive rebounds
1992 and 1996 Olympic gold medals
11-time 1st team All-NBA, 2nd team twice, 3rd team once
14-time All-Star, MVP twice
3-time NBA All-Defensive 1st team, 2nd team once
Oldest player to record a triple double (age 40)
Oldest player to score 30 pts in playoffs (age 40)

As for Tim Duncan:

Personally, I think this Tim Duncan as a PF stuff is a brilliant strategy by San Antonio. If Tim actually had to guard (and be compared to) real centers like Shaq and Howard, he'd still be great, but people wouldn't be talking about him as the best ever; because his weakness would be exposed. Instead, Popavich has thrown stiffs like Will Perdue, Rasho Nesterovic, and Fabio Obertio (yes Fabio) at the real centers while Duncan gets to guard smaller guys.

Fact of the matter is, Duncan is a great big man playing in a very "small" league. Karl Malone did what he did while being guarded by guys like Olajuwon, Robinson, Barkley, Rodman, Kemp, Buck Williams, and AC Green. There was never any reason to stick them on Eaton or Ostertag. Put Duncan where he belongs (with the centers) and he's still great, but he's no longer being discussed as the GOAT. Maybe that's why certain people love to call him a PF?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 12:24:48 PM »

And Karl Malone never won anything?

Karl Malone was just about unstoppable on offense (especially when he developed his jumper); he was rebounding machine, and was a great defender. He also ran the break better than any big man ever had or has to this day, and he was one of the better passing PFs of his day. As a player, Karl Malone's only weaknesses were were that he did not play with three All-Stars on his team, and of course, he played in Michael Jordan's world.

Two-time MVP
Played for 19 seasons missed a total of 52 games
In his first 18 seasons, he missed a total of ten games (he played in 1,434 out of his first 1,444) while receiving (and doling out) more punishment than just about anyone.

Career stats: 37.2 MIN, 25.0 PPG, 10.1 RPG, 3.6 AST, 1.4 STL, 51% FG, 74% FT

2nd All-time on scoring list with 36,928 points
1st all-time in FTs attempted and made
1st all-time in defensive rebounds
1992 and 1996 Olympic gold medals
11-time 1st team All-NBA, 2nd team twice, 3rd team once
14-time All-Star, MVP twice
3-time NBA All-Defensive 1st team, 2nd team once
Oldest player to record a triple double (age 40)
Oldest player to score 30 pts in playoffs (age 40)

As for Tim Duncan:

Personally, I think this Tim Duncan as a PF stuff is a brilliant strategy by San Antonio. If Tim actually had to guard (and be compared to) real centers like Shaq and Howard, he'd still be great, but people wouldn't be talking about him as the best ever; because his weakness would be exposed. Instead, Popavich has thrown stiffs like Will Perdue, Rasho Nesterovic, and Fabio Obertio (yes Fabio) at the real centers while Duncan gets to guard smaller guys.

Fact of the matter is, Duncan is a great big man playing in a very "small" league. Karl Malone did what he did while being guarded by guys like Olajuwon, Robinson, Barkley, Rodman, Kemp, Buck Williams, and AC Green. There was never any reason to stick them on Eaton or Ostertag. Put Duncan where he belongs (with the centers) and he's still great, but he's no longer being discussed as the GOAT. Maybe that's why certain people love to call him a PF?

OUCH!!!!! Minnie Me has learned well from his mentor, I declare him:
OWNED!!!!!!!
Dan

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 12:40:34 PM »
Forgot to mention two things:

1. Karl Malone went to the playoffs every single year of his career.
2. Karl Malone opened up a 40-stitch gash over Isiah Thomas' eye. Most beautiful flagrant foul ever.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 12:50:51 PM by Ted »

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 12:52:06 PM »

Actually, McHale and Ainge OWNED the "Whiny Bitch" market.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 12:55:25 PM »
Too bad Shaun Kemp the Reign Man couldn't keep his nose clean.
Enjoyed watching him send Malone packing out of the playoffs a couple years.

Malones conditioning is second to none tho.
19 years, wow.

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 01:01:42 PM »
Too bad Shaun Kemp the Reign Man couldn't keep his nose clean.
Enjoyed watching him send Malone packing out of the playoffs a couple years.

Malones conditioning is second to none tho.
19 years, wow.

For pure athleticism, Kemp was one of the scariest human beings I've ever seen.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 01:37:53 PM »
Hey, I will give Barclay credit -- I think Barclay was the biggest 6'6" PF to ever play the game.  Barclay was a great scorer, and a tremendous rebounder (not a great defender but definately crafty in the area).  However, he wasn't the greatest PF to ever play the game.  I am going with the assumption that TD is out of the PF running here -- which I would agree that he should be in the center comparisons -- with TD out of the running, Karl Malone is the best PF to ever play the game.  In fact, he revolutionized the PF position -- that alone deserves props.  He was a tremendous scorer, rebounder, passer and a good defender.  He was a dirty player (along the makings of McHale, Rodman, Bowen, etc.) but it doesn't take away from his accomplishments. 

Of course, this argument is going to receive a great deal of complaints from SA fans -- if you put TD in at PF, then he is the best the league has ever seen -- if you put him in at center, where does he rank?  Not in the top 3.  In fact, one could argue that he doesn't belong in the top 5.