Author Topic: Aren't we Laker fans glad?  (Read 5410 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Aren't we Laker fans glad?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 11:34:03 AM »
Honestly, it seems like Artest has a stick of dynamite between his ears, ready to go off at any time. You could see the smoke starting to come out his nostrils during the Laker game until he finally sat down for good.

Yes, Theus is the type of outgoing, glib, and friendly coaching buddy the Maloofs have dreamed about. If only he could do what Adelman did.

As for Houston, I totally agree that the defensive players were already there for the Rockets with Van Gundy. What Rick brings is offensive, which just has allowed the defense to be that more affective as the recent game score differentials have dramatically shown.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 11:53:12 AM »
It's much more then Adleman simply bringing "offense" to the Rockets.
Altho this quote is from the departed Bonzi, I'm sure it applies to most if not all the Rockets players:

"You want guys to be themselves and come out and play their games and not play a game somebody else tells you you have to play."

If the Rockets have a different look, different offensive philosophy, different demeanor this time around, nowhere is it more evident than in Wells, 31, the swingman who is reveling in the coaching change from Jeff Van Gundy to Rick Adelman.

Wells' participation was limited through most of the camp sessions due to a groin strain he suffered in a bathroom fall at home four weeks ago. Yet he says he's been uplifted by the change in atmosphere surrounding the team.

"Players can be players," Wells, 6-5, said. "You ain't got to worry about it. Coach last year had a problem telling guys what he wanted them to do instead of letting guys play your game. Coach Adelman doesn't do that. He lets you go out here, and it's OK to make a mistake. When you make a mistake, you don't worry about it. You don't stress about it and think about getting yelled at. Coach's way is just make up for it.

"This year my mind is clear. Coach Adelman is here. I know what he expects from me.

"This ain't college. This is the pros. We're all men, right? Treat guys like men, and they're going to perform like men."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »
It's much more then Adleman simply bringing "offense" to the Rockets.
Altho this quote is from the departed Bonzi, I'm sure it applies to most if not all the Rockets players:

"You want guys to be themselves and come out and play their games and not play a game somebody else tells you you have to play."

If the Rockets have a different look, different offensive philosophy, different demeanor this time around, nowhere is it more evident than in Wells, 31, the swingman who is reveling in the coaching change from Jeff Van Gundy to Rick Adelman.

Wells' participation was limited through most of the camp sessions due to a groin strain he suffered in a bathroom fall at home four weeks ago. Yet he says he's been uplifted by the change in atmosphere surrounding the team.

"Players can be players," Wells, 6-5, said. "You ain't got to worry about it. Coach last year had a problem telling guys what he wanted them to do instead of letting guys play your game. Coach Adelman doesn't do that. He lets you go out here, and it's OK to make a mistake. When you make a mistake, you don't worry about it. You don't stress about it and think about getting yelled at. Coach's way is just make up for it.

"This year my mind is clear. Coach Adelman is here. I know what he expects from me.

"This ain't college. This is the pros. We're all men, right? Treat guys like men, and they're going to perform like men."

And Bonzi is playing where?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 12:03:38 PM »
Yes that invalidates everything he said.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 12:12:02 PM »
I would say that obviously his frame of reference didn't match up with the team's.  He wasn't getting consistant minutes over the streak.  So maybe his "let the players play" attitude didn't fit with Adelman's line of thought.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 12:22:09 PM »
But everything Bonzi said about Adleman could still apply 100% and indeed be why the Rockets are on the streak.  Ironically perhaps it was Bonzi who changed his attitude as you posted.  I would speculate you're 100% correct that Bonzi is the one who failed to fit in team up.

Here is some more of the quote Lurker.  In addition to the above this to me is the essense of Van Gruntys style and his downfall:

"It wasn't just me," Wells said. "Coach had a problem categorizing guys. He'd tell guys, 'The only thing you can do is shoot. The only thing you can do is post up. The only thing you can do is this, this and that.'
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/spo...kn/5195682.html

« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 12:34:13 PM by Reality »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 01:15:58 PM »
I would say that obviously his frame of reference didn't match up with the team's.  He wasn't getting consistant minutes over the streak.  So maybe his "let the players play" attitude didn't fit with Adelman's line of thought.

Bonzi's conditioning didn't fit with Adelman's line of thought.

It may have been some bathroom "accident" that caused it, but he was never in good shape to play Adelman's style of play from the wing, which is a constantly moving person in Rick's system. From his time in Sacramento, I can tell you that the key to his offensive success, his key to ALL his offensive work, is to get his players gagging for air in training camp. Bonzi did not participate in it.

Which is why it was sort of amusing when guys on these NBA boards used to make fun of Vlade's conditioning. He was in better shape then people thought. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 02:30:17 PM »
  He wasn't getting consistant minutes over the streak.  So maybe his "let the players play" attitude didn't fit with Adelman's line of thought.

Bonzi's conditioning didn't fit with Adelman's line of thought. [/quote]
That's pretty consistent.
But perhaps Adleman saw it coming that Bonz was not going to ever get and stay in playoff condition.
Whatever, the trade has worked great so far.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 04:08:57 PM »
  He wasn't getting consistant minutes over the streak.  So maybe his "let the players play" attitude didn't fit with Adelman's line of thought.

Bonzi's conditioning didn't fit with Adelman's line of thought.
That's pretty consistent.
But perhaps Adleman saw it coming that Bonz was not going to ever get and stay in playoff condition.
Whatever, the trade has worked great so far.
[/quote]

In Sacramento, Bonzi averaged about 32 1/2 minutes per game. In that group of games for Houston, he never even played one game in which he played 32 minutes.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 04:41:23 PM »
Lucky for you, they won't be seeing the Kings.   ;D   

I wouldn't mind facing the Kings in the playoffs as long as they PROMISE to keep Ron Artest in the game durring the 4th quarter!

OO, OO

...and YOU promise that Kobe will again take the last shot to win the game if it comes down to that.

Absolutely!  I don't know why taking the last shot while being up by 12 makes it "to win the game"?  ???  :P
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2008, 04:44:20 PM »

I wouldn't mind facing the Kings in the playoffs as long as they PROMISE to keep Ron Artest in the game durring the 4th quarter!

OO, OO

...and YOU promise that Kobe will again take the last shot to win the game if it comes down to that.

Absolutely!  I don't know why taking the last shot while being up by 12 makes it "to win the game"?  ???  :P

I suppose "if it comes down to that" is an englese phase unfamiliar to LA amigo's.  ;)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2008, 04:52:19 PM »

OO, OO

I suppose "if it comes down to that" is an englese phase unfamiliar to LA amigo's.  ;)

It like totally is dude.  I read it as "if yu down wit dat!"
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2008, 04:55:45 PM »
In Sacramento, Bonzi averaged about 32 1/2 minutes per game. In that group of games for Houston, he never even played one game in which he played 32 minutes.
In college, he averaged 38 minute per game.
Lurks was talking about during the streak.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2008, 05:49:51 PM »

So now the NBA = college?  What does college have to do with the NBA?  You could probably find a few guys who played 38 minutes per game in college who never played a minute in the NBA.  Do you have a theory for college too?  I know your theory for European basketball -- take Euro statistics and times them by a factor of 3.5 and that's how you determine their future worth in the NBA.  Sorry, I forgot the last qualifier on that theory -- only if they play for the Spurs, right?

The problem with Bonzi is that he wants the basketball IN HIS HANDS -- when you have better players, you don't want Bonzi becoming the initiator of the offense -- well, at least I wouldn't! 

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 01:21:56 AM »

So now the NBA = college?  What does college have to do with the NBA?  You could probably find a few guys who played 38 minutes per game in college who never played a minute in the NBA.  Do you have a theory for college too?  I know your theory for European basketball -- take Euro statistics and times them by a factor of 3.5 and that's how you determine their future worth in the NBA.  Sorry, I forgot the last qualifier on that theory -- only if they play for the Spurs, right?

The problem with Bonzi is that he wants the basketball IN HIS HANDS -- when you have better players, you don't want Bonzi becoming the initiator of the offense -- well, at least I wouldn't! 

Come to think of it, why the hell are we talking about Bonzi Wells, of all people.