Author Topic: Kobe second to Artest in a key NBA category...  (Read 8234 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Kobe second to Artest in a key NBA category...
« on: March 06, 2008, 12:43:29 PM »
Kobe's negative Q of 36 puts him second only to the most disliked player in the league, Ron Artest.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/columnists/la-sp-simers5mar05,1,3968140.column?page=1

This LA Times article by T.J. Simers, discusses, among other Kobe-related likability ratings, a "Q" rating given out by a marketing evaluations firm in New York city that analyzes the popularity of celebrities. Has something to do with the residue of Colorado and his summer rantings where he inferred the owner of the Lakers was an idiot, as was the GM, because they did not want to trade Bynum for somebody better.

At one time, that somebody was Ron Artest, BTW.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kobe second to Artest in a key NBA category...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 12:50:38 PM »
Kobe's negative Q of 36 puts him second only to the most disliked player in the league, Ron Artest.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/columnists/la-sp-simers5mar05,1,3968140.column?page=1

This LA Times article by T.J. Simers, discusses, among other Kobe-related likability ratings, a "Q" rating given out by a marketing evaluations firm in New York city that analyzes the popularity of celebrities. Has something to do with the residue of Colorado and his summer rantings where he inferred the owner of the Lakers was an idiot, as was the GM, because they did not want to trade Bynum for somebody better.

At one time, that somebody was Ron Artest, BTW.

So in your words Kobe = Artest.  What a moronic view.  Everybody knows that Kobe could run circles around Ron when it comes to alienating people.  You never hear other players saying how bad a teammate Ron is.  You should be totally ashamed of even putting Kobe and Artest in the same thread.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 01:24:02 PM »
I think Kobe has a love/hate relationship with a lot of people.

A couple of interesting facts though -- Kobe's jersey is #2 seller (Garnett is #1) -- the Lakers have the second best road attendence in the league (Boston is #1).  And even has other fans in other arenas chanting "MVP, MVP" -- it's amazing that his quotient is so low when he seems to be doing so well. 

JoMal -- perhaps you can do a survey at the next Kings/Lakers game at Arco and see how what Kobe's "Q" rating is at Arco.  Be interesting to see how many of those Kings fans have quit with the cowbells and are now carrying around signs "Kobe = MVP" this year.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 01:57:49 PM »

A couple of interesting facts though -- Kobe's jersey is #2 seller (Garnett is #1) -- the Lakers have the second best road attendence in the league (Boston is #1).  And even has other fans in other arenas chanting "MVP, MVP" -- it's amazing that his quotient is so low when he seems to be doing so well. 

JoMal -- perhaps you can do a survey at the next Kings/Lakers game at Arco and see how what Kobe's "Q" rating is at Arco.  Be interesting to see how many of those Kings fans have quit with the cowbells and are now carrying around signs "Kobe = MVP" this year.

Randy -

No Kings fan was chanting MVP at Arco. Those were all Laker fans living in the Sacramento area.

And this article, if you seem to have missed it, was written by one of your own, not a SacBee journalist. But if you would like to see a "Q" rating at Arco, it no doubt would be very polarized.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 02:00:36 PM »

Randy -

No Kings fan was chanting MVP at Arco. Those were all Laker fans living in the Sacramento area.

And this article, if you seem to have missed it, was written by one of your own, not a SacBee journalist. But if you would like to see a "Q" rating at Arco, it no doubt would be very polarized.

I'd like to know when this mass exodus of Lakers fans all the sudden migrated to Sacramento.  What you really mean is a bunch of people who WERE Kings fans jumped on the Lakers bandwagon because your team stinks.  Get it right.

At first I thought this was going to be a thread about defense but I should have known better.  Kobe Bryant pee'd in JoMaL's beer back in 2002 and he just hasn't been the same since.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 02:10:47 PM »
JoMal, this is T.J. Simers we're talking about here.  You might not be familiar with him but he makes a living off of stirring s@#$ up.  That?s what he does every day and Kobe is often the brunt of it.  No biggie down here.  

I read that yesterday, the funniest part to me was when the one of the marketing guys said if you ask 10 sports fans 85% would know who Kobe Bryant was.   What?  Shouldn't all 10 know of him if they're truly "sports fans"?  I guess 85% of the country are rednecks that only watch NASCAR, so maybe it's possible   :D

Everyone knows Kobe is a polarizing figure.  People love him or hate him.  Can someone please pay me hundreds of thousands of dollars to come up with that ground breaking market analysis?!  

Right now, the biggest debate regarding Kobe seems to be who is more infatuated with him on this board, JoMal or Reality?  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 02:26:47 PM »
Actually, I saw that article and was surprised that a local reporter had written what amounted to a very biased, anti-Kobe piece about him in the first place. And the article was contradictory. One one hand, this "Q" rating was so bad, no advertiser would touch Bryant to sell their product. From what I have seen, or NOT seen would be more appropriate. this has certainly been true. Then he says that Kobe's jersey is the second most popular seller after Garnett's. Propably amongst youngster's who don't have much influence on mass media selling, but still.

I know you LA guys get all pushed out of shape when someone picks on your love-child, and forces you to come up with some slack-jawed responses about Sacramento and the Kings and the fans up here, but honestly, I could care less. True Sacramento Kings' fans have no reason whatsoever to drop the team for the Lakers , while former LA region people seem to flock to this area as well as other places in California that are NOT LA county as soon as they can financially get out. Clearly hating the LA area, but still loyal to their team. Arco has lots of empty seats they can fill up when the Lakers come to town.   

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 02:29:30 PM »
Everyone knows Kobe is a polarizing figure.  People love him or hate him.  Can someone please pay me hundreds of thousands of dollars to come up with that ground breaking market analysis?!  

Right now, the biggest debate regarding Kobe seems to be who is more infatuated with him on this board, JoMal or Reality?  
 I've been marketing Kobe and the Lakers for 8 years now.  Incredibly the market is still not saturated, especially with the Infusion of Collusion.
If Jomal is getting on board, great.  msc if you want to get involved, super.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 02:37:04 PM »
Actually, I saw that article and was surprised that a local reporter had written what amounted to a very biased, anti-Kobe piece about him in the first place. And the article was contradictory. One one hand, this "Q" rating was so bad, no advertiser would touch Bryant to sell their product. From what I have seen, or NOT seen would be more appropriate. this has certainly been true. Then he says that Kobe's jersey is the second most popular seller after Garnett's. Propably amongst youngster's who don't have much influence on mass media selling, but still.

I know you LA guys get all pushed out of shape when someone picks on your love-child, and forces you to come up with some slack-jawed responses about Sacramento and the Kings and the fans up here, but honestly, I could care less. True Sacramento Kings' fans have no reason whatsoever to drop the team for the Lakers , while former LA region people seem to flock to this area as well as other places in California that are NOT LA county as soon as they can financially get out. Clearly hating the LA area, but still loyal to their team. Arco has lots of empty seats they can fill up when the Lakers come to town.   

You posting this says you do care.  It's ok.  Join your fellow friends in Sacramento who decided to jump ship.

I hate to break it to you but all the sudden a few thousand Laker fans did not just up and move to Sacramento between last year (when he was getting boo'd heavy with 0 MVP chants) and this year (when you heard MVP chants over everything else).  That pride you sac-towners had that you had an awesome team and supported it through thick and thin is gone.  Up in smoke.  You have to come to terms with Sacramento residents being bandwagon fans like everyone else after for so many years touting the areas loyalty to the franchise.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 02:39:55 PM by westkoast »

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 02:49:21 PM »
This is too funny -- suddenly, an arena that couldn't FIND a Laker fan suddenly has sprouted a garden. 

And I'm sure it is young kids (probably ages 6 to 10) buying those $150 Kobe jerseys -- I remember getting that kind of an allowance when I was a kid.  And those young kids are probably the same ones paying big bucks to go to those Laker games on the road. 

Perhaps you and Reality can get together to run the next Lakers publicity campaign -- perhaps you can use Ron-Ron as the spokesperson -- he could use some help with his image.  Maybe if you do a good job, Ron-Ron can hear those MVP chants when the Kings come down to LA (well, at least from you and Reality anyway).

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 03:46:13 PM »
13,000 has been the average attendance at Kings' home games this year, then the Lakers come to town and it sells out. Take the stick our of your arse and see the light, Laker fans.  The extras were NOT Kings fans to begin with. Those fans who quit attending Kings' home games probably did so because the cost of the tickets does not come close to being worth it, watching this team play.

And I know you are pretty stupid, but let me try to explain. Sacramento has the Kings and that is it. People moving up here from LA, and believe me when I tell you that has been ongoing for decades now, bring their loyalties for ALL the LA sports teams with them and do not jump on the Kings bandwagon any more then a Kings fan would change to the Lakers. That is just so inconcievable, it defies any type of intelligent response, which would be ignored and lost on you anyway. It is just dumb to suggest that Kings' fans would be any different, sorry.

You posting this says you do care.  It's ok.  Join your fellow friends in Sacramento who decided to jump ship.

Huh?

What on earth are YOU talking about, because this has nothing to do at all with what I was talking about. Are you sure you are in the right thread? i know is can be difficult trying to be perky and alert when most of your day is spent in some kind of self-induced fog, but you still never cease in amazing me on how moronic you can come across by refusing to understand what you read and then completely jump into another area. Why not just admit you would rather TALK about something else instead of trying to make it sound like that was what the other person was saying when it clearly was not.

I hate to break it to you but all the sudden a few thousand Laker fans did not just up and move to Sacramento between last year (when he was getting boo'd heavy with 0 MVP chants)

I hate to break to YOU, but these Laker fans have been here all along, genius. They have been steadily moving up here for years. They did not suddenly show up; the tickets were available and the Lakers were in town, so they bought them up.

I know this is hard, but bear with me. You see, in previous years, these tickets were not available to Laker fans in the Sacramento area, unless they bought them along side Kings fans to see any old team come to Sacramento to play the Kings. You see, sell outs prevented many of them from attending, even the Laker/Kings games at Arco.You see, because they could not buy any tickets. They were not available. Because Kings fans back then would buy them to see ALL the Kings' home games. Not just the Laker games. So the Laker fans in this area could not buy them up like they did this week when the Lakers came to town and they could. Because the tickets were now available. Because Arco has not been selling out this year and most home games that do NOT feature the Lakers leaves many empty seats. Because the Kings are not that good this year and some fans find the cost of the tickets not worth the product on the floor. But then the Lakers came to town...you see. These local Laker fans often can not go down to LA to see the Lakers play, and even if they could, they may find it difficult to find a ticket. But the Kings' home game have not been selling out. And the Lakers were coming to Sacramento. So they could buy these unused tickets to see their team play right here in Sacramento.

<phew>

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 04:02:50 PM »
They been up there for years but now all the sudden they are showing up to games and chanting?  OK lol.  Keep holding on to the " we are not bandwagoners up here like LA residents are"  No..no one could possibly have jumped ship up there!

btw you wasted your time writing your short story.  I didn't bother to read much of it.  Yet another chapter in the 'lets justify why I am bitter slowly approaching the decade mark of when my team lost to the Lakers in the playoffs for 3 straight years'
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 04:04:25 PM by westkoast »

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 05:02:10 PM »
JoMal's right on the fans, it's not that hard to grasp.  When the Kings were good all the Kings fans had season seats (or at least a higher %).  It was harder to get a hold of tickets for individual games at a reasonable price.  Now that they can hardly give away tickets to watch the Kings, the transplanted Angelinos are easily able to get their greasy, little hands on Arco tix.  You guys don't truly believe that Kings fans would jump ship to the Lakers, do you?  They'd just give up on basketball entirely and focus all of their energy and resources on NASCAR before they'd do that. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 05:30:08 PM »
JoMal's right on the fans, it's not that hard to grasp.  When the Kings were good all the Kings fans had season seats (or at least a higher %).  It was harder to get a hold of tickets for individual games at a reasonable price.  Now that they can hardly give away tickets to watch the Kings, the transplanted Angelinos are easily able to get their greasy, little hands on Arco tix.  You guys don't truly believe that Kings fans would jump ship to the Lakers, do you?  They'd just give up on basketball entirely and focus all of their energy and resources on NASCAR before they'd do that. 

I find it very hard to believe that thousands of Laker fans have been unable to get tickets for all these years.  Especially last year when Kobe was getting heavily boo'd.  I highly doubt theres been a huge exodus of Laker fans in 9 months since the last time they played.

JoMaL is just super upset that not only were the Lakers were getting cheers in Arco the person that might have slapped his wife, Kobe Bryant, was getting the most cheers.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 05:39:50 PM »
westkoast, it's just supply and demand.  People could have bought tickets that past several years at Arco for a marked up price.  This season the demand has dropped off significantly and the barrier to entry has been reduced.  There are Laker fans everywhere.  Any team with a recent dynasty has their share of bandwagon jumpers.  Whether these Laker fans are Sac residents, or flew up to the game from LA, or just swam over the Rio Grande and bought a Kobe jersey with the only 1,000 pesos to their name ... I don't know.  But I do know the barriers to entry have been greatly reduced so Joe SixPack Laker fan can get a ticket much cheaper than before.  I'm not saying the tix are cheap, but face value is obviously cheaper than a 2x or 3x markup. 

I'm assuming you're just razzing JoMal, because there's no way that Sac fans jump on LA's bandwagon.  Their hatred for us stemming from a massive inferiority complex would never allow for that   ;)