Author Topic: Kings showed a very good formula for beating the Lakers and Mavs  (Read 5754 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Kings showed a very good formula for beating the Lakers and Mavs
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 03:34:41 PM »

Yeah, you could see on TV that there were a lot of Laker fans and they were obviously the ones chanting.  It was still just eerie and downright bizarre to hear the chants in that Arena.   

Well...it looks like it will be like that through next year at least. The Kings' franchise has some expiring contracts next year that will finally unburden the team from the Webber trade and some sorry free agent signings. They just are not going to be back to an upper echelon team until then.

So Arco sits with about three thousand empty seats each night. Why not fill those seats up with Warrior or Laker fans? Being just a State worker, I am clearly not a target seasonal Kings' ticket prospect any longer. The ticket prices are out of my range. So I have to be content with watching on TV, though Jerry Reynolds is starting to irritate the heck out of me. Just after he had to quit his coined phrase for a Bibby three pointer ("Bibbylicious"), we get "Tre Buono, Beno", or worse, "Draino, Beno". It's enough to make me swear off refries and toilet unclogger products.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 03:49:16 PM »

Yeah, you could see on TV that there were a lot of Laker fans and they were obviously the ones chanting.  It was still just eerie and downright bizarre to hear the chants in that Arena.   

Well...it looks like it will be like that through next year at least. The Kings' franchise has some expiring contracts next year that will finally unburden the team from the Webber trade and some sorry free agent signings. They just are not going to be back to an upper echelon team until then.

So Arco sits with about three thousand empty seats each night. Why not fill those seats up with Warrior or Laker fans? Being just a State worker, I am clearly not a target seasonal Kings' ticket prospect any longer. The ticket prices are out of my range. So I have to be content with watching on TV, though Jerry Reynolds is starting to irritate the heck out of me. Just after he had to quit his coined phrase for a Bibby three pointer ("Bibbylicious"), we get "Tre Buono, Beno", or worse, "Draino, Beno". It's enough to make me swear off refries and toilet unclogger products.

He sounds like Jerry Lawler who does the Clippers game...ack.

One thing I did notice last night is there is no true leader on this squad.  Ron Artest is by far the most aggressive player on the squad but it looks like he only wants to be the man when things are going good.  He was awfully quiet (vocally to his teammates, he kept trying to shoot ala Kobe Bryant) when the Lakers started to build that lead back up after being down 97-100.  Kevin Martin looks to be too passive when Artest in around to be that guy who says 'you know what? we are not losing tonight lets finish this out'
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 03:54:22 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 04:15:46 PM »
He sounds like Jerry Lawler who does the Clippers game...ack.

One thing I did notice last night is there is no true leader on this squad.  Ron Artest is by far the most aggressive player on the squad but it looks like he only wants to be the man when things are going good.  He was awfully quiet (vocally to his teammates, he kept trying to shoot ala Kobe Bryant) when the Lakers started to build that lead back up after being down 97-100.  Kevin Martin looks to be too passive when Artest in around to be that guy who says 'you know what? we are not losing tonight lets finish this out'

No, the Kings have a leadership void and no one on this squad can fill it. Artest 'wants' to be that guy, but that just sounds crazy from all angles.

I mentioned that Miami game the Kings' played in Florida last week. Apparently, as the reporters who follow the team alluded to, many of the young guys on the team spent the prior evening enjoying the many entertainment aspects that exist along Miami Beach well into the morning hours. There is a curfew in place, but since these are supposed to be responsible, wage-earning young men, policing them is seldom done, and not just by the Kings. Anyway, on gameday, many of the players just lacked any energy on the court, and, surprise, surprise, they lose to the worse team in the NBA by 21. It is this type of behavior that convinces me the team is not worth getting overly excited about this year and probably next year as well. So what if they played the Lakers and the Mavs and the Spurs and the Jazz tough in losses. If they had played that "tough against Miami, the Clippers, the Sonic, the Wolves, and a few other lower echelon teams they have lost to this season, their record could be the reverse of what it actually is.

A on-the-court team leader would never have let these types of things happen. Good teams focus on the game at hand and not the local nightlife when on the road, and especially the night before the game. And Good teams also never "get down" to the level of a bad opponents regularly.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 04:23:57 PM »
I got it from the newspaper -- i.e. that is WHERE I heard it!  I heard it on tv -- i.e. that is WHERE I heard it.

What good does it do to say "newspaper" or "TV" if some shmo or sports rumor talking head wrote it or said it?  Was it not clear enough to state that Kupchak was the source?  Was that not a much more credible source than some media outlet?  Just admit you didn't think it through and move on.

I'm beginning to think that WOW hears as poorly as he reads.

I'm begining to think you and wk are as slopppy as the Suns defense.  WK posts generalities and you take it as gospel, I posted that Mitch was asked about the month of April and how close the playoffs and you want to question it. 

Here you go Randy, terms you can understand and ACCEPT:  Bynum is rehabbing and will be back today or sometime there after.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 04:30:13 PM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 11:28:53 PM »
What good does it do to say "newspaper" or "TV" if some shmo or sports rumor talking head wrote it or said it?  Was it not clear enough to state that Kupchak was the source?  Was that not a much more credible source than some media outlet?  Just admit you didn't think it through and move on.

Umm, let's see -- could be because I'd actually like to see it, hear it or read it myself -- I sure can't find anything to substantiate what you quoted on the web -- and I looked.  I did find what Bynum himself said -- what PJ said -- I still can't find the quote you mentioned.  Had nothing to do with not thinking it through -- had to do with wanting to see for myself.

I'm begining to think you and wk are as slopppy as the Suns defense.  WK posts generalities and you take it as gospel, I posted that Mitch was asked about the month of April and how close the playoffs and you want to question it. 

Here you go Randy, terms you can understand and ACCEPT:  Bynum is rehabbing and will be back today or sometime there after.

Hmm, perhaps it goes like this -- when you hear several people make one comment and then you hear something totally different, it's enough to make you question the statement.  I don't guess it ever occured to you that Kupchak could be holding his cards and telling people that Bynum isn't coming back only to surprise them come April.  If he misses the rest of the season, then I will be happy to state clearly that you were right -- and if he comes back, then I guess you weren't, huh?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 12:13:38 AM »
Umm, let's see -- could be because I'd actually like to see it, hear it or read it myself -- I sure can't find anything to substantiate what you quoted on the web -- and I looked.  I did find what Bynum himself said -- what PJ said -- I still can't find the quote you mentioned.  Had nothing to do with not thinking it through -- had to do with wanting to see for myself.

I'll try and remember to tape games just in case you miss them so I can backup what I hear Mitch say.   ::)

Hmm, perhaps it goes like this -- when you hear several people make one comment and then you hear something totally different, it's enough to make you question the statement.  I don't guess it ever occured to you that Kupchak could be holding his cards and telling people that Bynum isn't coming back only to surprise them come April.  If he misses the rest of the season, then I will be happy to state clearly that you were right -- and if he comes back, then I guess you weren't, huh?

SEVERAL people have made the same comments since the first week of his injury, I had that thought days after the injury after I read a dumbed down medical report and comments from PJ saying they knew Bynum had knee problems before they drafted him.  I just pointed out that this was the FIRST time I heard someone from the Lakers make a similar "shut down for the season" comment.  Did you read the entire sentences in the entire posts?  OF COURSE YOU'RE NOT GOING TO FIND SIMILAR COMMENTS FROM PJ OR BYNUM SINCE I'VE STATED TWICE THAT THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I'VE HEARD IT FROM SOMEONE FROM THE LAKERS.

Bynum is rehabbing and will be back with the Lakers tommorow or some time there after.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 10:22:35 AM »
I got it from the newspaper -- i.e. that is WHERE I heard it!  I heard it on tv -- i.e. that is WHERE I heard it.

I think someone would rather have WK's General facts than WOW's in depth rumors   :D

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 01:25:05 PM »

I think someone would rather have WK's General facts than WOW's in depth rumors   :D

I think that Peter Vecsey is WOW's closet source.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 06:47:53 PM »

I'll try and remember to tape games just in case you miss them so I can backup what I hear Mitch say.   ::)

SEVERAL people have made the same comments since the first week of his injury, I had that thought days after the injury after I read a dumbed down medical report and comments from PJ saying they knew Bynum had knee problems before they drafted him.  I just pointed out that this was the FIRST time I heard someone from the Lakers make a similar "shut down for the season" comment.  Did you read the entire sentences in the entire posts?  OF COURSE YOU'RE NOT GOING TO FIND SIMILAR COMMENTS FROM PJ OR BYNUM SINCE I'VE STATED TWICE THAT THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I'VE HEARD IT FROM SOMEONE FROM THE LAKERS.

Bynum is rehabbing and will be back with the Lakers tommorow or some time there after.

Apparently I am not the only one who has notice a significant flaw in wk's.....um.....intellect and comprehension.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 08:24:44 PM »
Apparently I am not the only one who has notice a significant flaw in wk's.....um.....intellect and comprehension.

I've written off Randy's and WK's "intellect" and "comprehension" as "reeding" and "cyphering" after their posts.  Reality would be proud of WK and Randy and their spining round the old oak tree dance.

Seriously WK, did you not hear Kupcake say the Lakers were going to make a decision about "shutting down Bynum for the season" towards the end of April?  This was after the Laker announcer stated Bynums updated rehad schedule was going to be mid to late April, which he followed up with being close to the playoffs and "shutting down" questions.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 08:40:32 PM »

I've written off Randy's and WK's "intellect" and "comprehension" as "reeding" and "cyphering" after their posts.  Reality would be proud of WK and Randy and their spining round the old oak tree dance.

Seriously WK, did you not hear Kupcake say the Lakers were going to make a decision about "shutting down Bynum for the season" towards the end of April?  This was after the Laker announcer stated Bynums updated rehad schedule was going to be mid to late April, which he followed up with being close to the playoffs and "shutting down" questions.

Reality would be envious of your 'inside' connections compared to my generic boring connections into the teams news.  I apologize for 'he won't be back till April' and 'he has started to run in the pool but his rehab is lagging'  not being specific enough.

Actually no I did not.  Apparently neither did many other people as I didn't hear anyone talk about it on Sports Radio or anywhere but this message board really.  What I was going off of was what Phil Jackson said a few weeks ago in an interview with Bill McDonald before one of their home games.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:49:11 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 08:48:20 PM »
Actually no I did not.  Apparently neither did many other people as I didn't hear anyone talk about it on Sports Radio or anywhere but this message board really.  What I was going off of was what Phil Jackson said a few weeks ago in an interview with Bill McDonald before one of their home games.

I am not disagreeing with anything you've posted since I've heard and read the same comments.  I'm just relaying the information I heard come from the lips of Kupcake when he was interviewed durring the Lakers/Kings broadcast on KCAL-9.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 09:08:23 PM »

I am not disagreeing with anything you've posted since I've heard and read the same comments.  I'm just relaying the information I heard come from the lips of Kupcake when he was interviewed durring the Lakers/Kings broadcast on KCAL-9.

And I was never challenging what you were saying.  I've heard rumors about them thinking about this since the Gasol trade.  When I heard Phil Jackson say April I pretty much shrugged off the rumors completely.

It makes sense.  The Lakers are not in the same boat as the Suns or Mavs.  If they don't win it this year it's not the end of the world.   With this team they can stay competitive at least for a few more years.  I'd go as far to say that they will be a much better team next year then they are right now.  They are missing 2 of their 3 best defenders which leads me to believe they can be more deadly next year.  The defensive end is the Lakers weakness right now.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 09:22:41 PM »
And I was never challenging what you were saying.  I've heard rumors about them thinking about this since the Gasol trade.  When I heard Phil Jackson say April I pretty much shrugged off the rumors completely.

It makes sense.  The Lakers are not in the same boat as the Suns or Mavs.  If they don't win it this year it's not the end of the world.   With this team they can stay competitive at least for a few more years.  I'd go as far to say that they will be a much better team next year then they are right now.  They are missing 2 of their 3 best defenders which leads me to believe they can be more deadly next year.  The defensive end is the Lakers weakness right now.

If you have a shot at a title you go for it with everything you've got.  Just because you "should" be a contendor for years to come doesn't mean you will, we've seen plenty of examples of this flawed way of thinking with the Kings, Mavs and Bulls.  Injuries, trades, free agent market and just plain bad luck is something you CAN count on more than staying competitive.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 09:20:27 AM »
I'm not sure that I agree -- I would hate to see Bynum risk an injury now if he isn't healthy -- however, there is no point of having him take the rest of the year off just to be on the safe side if he is doing well now.

I have searched all over the web to find any kind of repeat of Mitch's comments -- I would think these comments would be HUGE news in LA -- that it would be repeated and plastered everywhere.  I just can't find anything.  The Lakers can't even wipe their nose without it making news and yet Mitch makes a huge comment like this and nobody else even reports it or talks about it?  Don't you think that's a little wierd, WOW?