Author Topic: Is Houston really worse without Yao?  (Read 8624 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is Houston really worse without Yao?
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2008, 11:49:14 AM »
Btw Randolph,
Lewie Scola chipped in with another 12/9 and solid team D in his role with the Rockets.
Much as you scoffed at Fabs role with the Champion Spurs only to see Fabs hoist the trophy, beholden Lewie Scola.

Who by the way, began his starting role with the Rockets at the beggining of their 18 game win streak.

He's playing well for them right now.   Filling it about as well as you can expect.   I grabbed him a while ago in fantasy because I needed a PF/C and it was worked out nicely as he is also listed as playing SF.  On a good night for him you get a double double, a few assists, and a block.

So what is everyone elses take on Houston?  If they make the playoffs with a reasonable seed then do you think Yao's worth drops a great deal?  Or do they have to make it out of the first round for people to start yelling hes overrated?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 12:07:15 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2008, 12:17:42 PM »
So what is everyone elses take on Houston?  If they make the playoffs with a reasonable seed then do you think Yao's worth drops a great deal?  Or do they have to make it out of the first round for people to start yelling hes overrated?

IMO a lot will depend on matchups.  If they play the Jazz (5th seed with homecourt) then I think they could be in trouble.  I also think the Hornets could give them some problems also...especially if the Hornets have homecourt (3/6 seeding).  The slower half court style that dominates playoff basketball needs the inside presence that Yao gives them.  And both Utah and NO have the inside game as well as PGs to match up against Alston.

If they drop to 7th or 8th seed and face the Lakers/Spurs then I think they will be one & done without Yao.  With Yao then IMO they could give those teams a run.  The Spurs have the experience and the Lakers have the better clutch player.  Without Yao then they have one player to carry them in those tight playoff situations: McGrady and his record in those situations isn't good.

If they somehow get matched up with the Warriors, Nuggets, Mavs or Suns I think Houston will advance.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2008, 12:41:06 PM »
Before you go off on some weird "Yao ain't worth it" tangent, get steady with the facts. They are winning without Yao right now. But have you forgotten they were winning WITH Yao before - like for 12 straight games.

However, it should also be noted that the Rockets are scoring 10 more points a game during the winning streak without Yao, while defensively, they have improved by 0.6 points per game. Improved both offensively (+10) AND defensively (-0.6).

Get rid of the bum.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2008, 01:06:17 PM »
My point was NEVER that Yao wasn't very good (I DO think he is overrated).  It was that fact that caused me to start this whole thread -- Yao has a LOT of value out there and I think the Rockets could be far better with a center that moves well without the basketball.  I think Yao stagnates the offense and I think his defense is also overrated (again, I'm not saying it's bad -- just that I think he is overrated -- which means he can, perhaps be overvalued). 

The Rockets are playing very good defense right now and that's what is winning games for them -- I just couldn't help but wonder if a center who moves without the ball (instead of packing up the middle) wouldn't help the Rockets more.

Again, I think with or without Yao, the Rockets are one and done in the playoffs -- perhaps a different center could move them to the next level.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2008, 01:23:09 PM »
Before you go off on some weird "Yao ain't worth it" tangent, get steady with the facts. They are winning without Yao right now. But have you forgotten they were winning WITH Yao before - like for 12 straight games.

However, it should also be noted that the Rockets are scoring 10 more points a game during the winning streak without Yao, while defensively, they have improved by 0.6 points per game. Improved both offensively (+10) AND defensively (-0.6).

Get rid of the bum.

Not worth it isn't the phrase.  More like 'not worth what the NBA has hyped him up to be'.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2008, 10:38:33 AM »
I wouldn't call the win against Dallas convincing my point but I do think that it was a good win -- a better win against New Orleans last night.  The Rockets are looking good -- I still don't think that they can beat the Lakers or Spurs (and perhaps not the Jazz) but they might go farther in the playoffs without Yao than they would have with him. 

The Rockets play the the Lakers in a week and the Spurs a think a week later.  These will be better tests of how well the Rockets are really playing.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2008, 10:58:19 AM »
but they might go farther in the playoffs without Yao than they would have with him. 
They might go farther in the playoffs without Van Gundy then they would have with him.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2008, 11:03:18 AM »
However I agree Randoph that we are starting, just beggining to see what a post Yao team can do with the win over N.O. along with the upcoming games.  Gonna be hard to say since Houston started the streak 12-0 with Yao.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2008, 02:33:30 PM »
Reality you were Yao's biggest fan when Shaq was on the Lakers, what happened?  You are not really repping him all the sudden.