Author Topic: Who is Travis Outlaw? Portland is no joke!  (Read 4266 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Who is Travis Outlaw? Portland is no joke!
« on: February 27, 2008, 01:32:43 AM »
Outlaw was amazing 2nite, up until the 4th quarter he was getting the best of Kobe and the Lakers. 

Portland definately has a bright future, Outlaw, Rondo, Aldridge and Oden are going to be terrific.  Hopefully the Lakers can get the job done before that team comes into it's own.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who is Travis Outlaw? Portland is no joke!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 10:45:26 AM »
Rondo?
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 11:25:24 AM »
Rondo?

Who is the guy who didn't play?  They kept talking about him, thought they called him Rondo.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 11:41:01 AM »
Rondo?

Who is the guy who didn't play?  They kept talking about him, thought they called him Rondo.

Brandon Roy was supposed to miss the game.  Rondo is the starting PG for the Celtics.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 11:57:05 AM »
WOW, have you been living under a rock these past few years?   ;)

Outlaw is a stud and was great last night as was Lamarcus Aldridge.  Portland is loaded with young talent, Roy is phenominal young player and a great guy on top of it.  I was disappointed I couldn't watch him play last night.  Webster, although he had an off shooting night last night, has a ton of potential.  They're going to be tough for the next decade. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 12:29:10 PM »
WOW, have you been living under a rock these past few years?   ;)

Outlaw is a stud and was great last night as was Lamarcus Aldridge.  Portland is loaded with young talent, Roy is phenominal young player and a great guy on top of it.  I was disappointed I couldn't watch him play last night.  Webster, although he had an off shooting night last night, has a ton of potential.  They're going to be tough for the next decade. 

Every time I hear Outlaw I think of Bo.  Outlaw looks like a more refined version of Igs from the Sixers.  Just as athletic, alot smoother and a really good looking shooting touch from what I saw yesterday.  Kobe didn't faze him one bit until the 4th, he want at Kobe offensively and played solid defense.  Unfortunately for Outlaw, defending Kobe well doesn't mean Kobe doesn't score and take over anyway.  Kobe had a tough time defending him but you could tell the Raja-like in his jersey pestering defense that Kobe put on him started to bother him late in the game.

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 01:23:12 PM »
Yeah, I think of Bo too, hard not to.  Plus, this kid pretty much came out of nowhere.  Straight out of high school and a late 1st round pick by Portland back in ... ummm ... I think 04 or somewhere thereabout.  The Blazers have done well with their high school picks between Outlaw and Webster. 

You're right though, he didn't back down to Kobe at all and had a great overall game.  He had that one real nice block of Kobe's jump shot too .. Kobe had to give him props for that one.  He's bigger than Kobe, or at least taller, and is a natural small forward, so it's a tough match up for Kobe in some areas. 

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 01:25:07 PM »
We missed Brandon Roy big time last night.  Roy is one of the few guys on our team who can get to the basket and get fouled.  Other than that we have a bunch of jump shooters, and if shots aren't falling you have no hope.  We had a lot of good open looks, and missed a ton a shots.  With Roy, you can put the ball in his hands and let him get to the rim, and he either kicks out, or shoots, and often gets fouled.

Adding Oden as a low post player will help this team a ton, especially players like Martell Webster.  Having someone down low who can score will force more double teams, and then Martell can get the space for his shot.  Right now Martell is incredibly inconsistent.  He had a 24 point 3rd quarter against Utah, another 16 point qtr, and lots of games where he can't make a shot or he is invisible.  He needs space to operate, and if he doesn't get space he will struggle.  That is one of the big differences between us and the Lakers.  Players like Farmar, and Sasha killed us last night, because they had players like Gasol, and Odom down low who can score.  This makes it much easier for those guys to get open looks, because we have to defend the Laker bigs, and this spreads the floor allowing those guys to have space to shoot, and they made those shots.  Martell did not have as many open looks, because the Lakers didn't need to double team Frye, or LaFrentz, or Joel.

Outlaw has progressed tremendously the last 2 years, especially this year.  Not having Roy really hurt him last night as well.  Travis has a significant asthma problem, and he struggles playing extended minutes without a break.  Nate has got him into a routine, where he gets some periodic rest, and never plays much more than 10 minutes at a time, except in the 4th qtr, which has more time outs.  He has been absolute money in the 4th qtr.  Last night he started for the first time all year, and he was gassed in the 4th, and his shot wasn't falling like it had earlier in the game.

We have some significant holes right now, the biggest being we are a poor rebounding team, and a jump shooting team.  We need players who can get to the rim more, and we need to improve our rebounding.  We will be adding Oden, Rudy Fernandez, and also the #12-13 pick in the draft.  I am hoping right now we get Kevin Love in the draft, and then move Jack and Frye, for a real upgrade at the point.  Love is ideal for our second unit.  He is a bruiser, a rebounder, and a low post guy.  Frye has done fine for us, but he is just too much like everybody else on the team.  Bundling Frye and Jack could return a nice talent.

We have some really nice role players.  Blake, James Jones, Przybilla, are all veteran roles players who are very happy with their role, and those type of players are really critical to winning teams.  I really like Przybilla.  I don't think I am qualified to say who the best defensive center is in the league, I just don't see enough of everybody, but there is no doubt Joel is in the top 5, maybe top 3.  He sets great picks, he rebounds well, is a great help defender, is great man up defender, and is a great shot blocker.  He is absolutely horrible offensively, but defensively he is fantastic.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 01:38:45 PM »
zig,

Unless the Blazers have a top 7 pick I'm not aware of they will not be getting any Love.  Of course it would be amusing to see the b-ball fans of the Pacific NW go from booing and even pranking Love for his departure to UCLA to revering him as a hometown hero.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 02:01:41 PM by jn »
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 02:11:37 PM »
zig,

Unless the Blazers have a top 7 pick I'm not aware they will not be getting any Love.  Of course it would be amusing to see the b-ball fans of the Pacific NW go from booing and even pranking Love for his departure to UCLA to paying revering him as a hometown hero.  ;D

Hope is a wonderful thing.  It doesn't bring home the bacon, but it makes you feel good for a while anyway.  As far as Duck basketball fans, Love gave them what they deserved.  Talk about a bunch of obnoxious twits. 

This is where I came up with Love being available at 12-13
Hoops Hype has Love going 13
Draft Express has Love going 13
NBA Draft.net has Love going 18
Collegehoopsnet.com has Love going 15
Real GM has Love going 17
NBADraftGuru has Love going 16
Inside Hoops has Love going 10
Matt Mauer has Love going 17
NBADraftPress.com has Love going 29
PHSports has Love going 15
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 02:22:22 PM »
Interesting.  I don't have a clue in regard to foreign talent so those numbers seem surprising to me.   I just know that a big man with his abilities is going to go awfully high. 

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 02:30:48 PM »
Talk about a bunch of obnoxious twits. 

Hey, watch it, some of us resemble that remark ;)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 02:40:26 PM »

I was just going to post "ANOTHER dig on us poor Laker fans!"
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 02:41:24 PM »

I was just going to post "ANOTHER dig on us poor Laker fans!"

It's a double whammy for me because I'm a Duck too!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 03:11:23 PM »
OMG.  Bo Outlaw actually played in the league this year.  The things you learn.

I'm not sure I see the Outlaw/Iguodala comparison, considering the disparity in Iguodala's passing and rebounding, and Outlaw's shooting.

Love won't be a top 7 pick.  His lateral mobility and athleticism are too big of question marks at this point, and there are quite a few good big man prospects (beasley, jordan, lopez, griffin).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 03:15:28 PM by Derek Bodner »