Author Topic: My grades of the trades....  (Read 19086 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My grades of the trades....
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2008, 12:31:45 PM »
For crying out loud, westkoast, why on earth would you think I dislike you? I like everyone on this board, except Dabods, of course. No one likes the guy who runs things.

I have also had some problems with quotes and things; something else to blame on Dabods.

You know, I don't like Dabods, either.  He is just so goshdarned, annoyingly, even-keeled and this site is annoyingly free of any annoying little idiosyncracies and annoyingly well-maintained, too, and that's annoying! 

He may drive me to my breaking point --- is it so hard to BE BIASED and DISAGREEABLE for once, Derek!!     

and do not account for....um....western-sized progeny equipment.

Careful there, JoMal.  Please excuse while I represent the continent here:  size has nothing to do with being "western".  I'll leave it at that before the conversation nose-dives further. 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2008, 12:32:04 PM »
Edited because my PC inserts a question mark where an apostrophe belongs, and at leat I will make a correction, unlike the abortions in grammar and spelling you see fit to post. Leave this subject alone WOW, you are way out of your league here, your league being Kindergarten Ebonics.

I usually don't go back and edit posts unless the mistake(s) changes the "message" or meaning of the post.  I am not big on grammar or spelling, IMO that falls under the "memorization" or "knowledge" category of thinking.  Memorization is the lowest form of thinking and with all the tools available for spelling and grammar, no I'm not talking about MS Word, I don't find that skill on a message board all that important.  In my current line of work, throughout most of my career as well, I have had to communicate with people both verbally and in writing.  I have always been able to communicate to personnel ranging from "screw turner" to CEO's.  I will "check" my spelling and grammar when I determine it to be necessary.  I also type as fast as most people speak so with speed comes a bit of inaccuracy. 

While memorization and comprehension are the foundation of thinking, I consider those two levels of thinking a "given".  This board is very different from 90% of the message boards out there so my expectation of the participants on here is for them to be reading posts with their "application" and "analysis" caps on.  I don't know if you caught JoMals "slplelnig and cmpoirenshon" post a while back but it doesn't appear our brains put much emphasis on spelling and grammar.

That being said, in this case typed, it was a JOKE, I have been pleading with Dabods about a crayon font for months.
The running theme this week was kicked off by rickotreat climbing his high horse, falling off the other side, hitting the ground, rolling over then tumbling down the Grand Canyon in regards to "spelling" and "grammar". 

Sorry, WOW, but Dan is completely correct on this point.

Language, spoken or written, should be clear and free of mistakes if possible, and the use of proper grammar important to maintain. It is one sign of the better part of civilization and should never be allowed to deteriorate. I will never agree to allow the lowest common denominator dictate how society shifts. It has happen all too frequently, where we allow the worst to dominate. All too frequently (and, really, no offense on this westkoast), the young people who come in for interviews - all of whom must be college graduates before being interviewed - have neglected grammar and the ability to write clearly from participating too freely of the IPOD generation of altered language. It cannot be accommodated in the professional workforce, where "meaning", "clarity" are paramount to our products before we release them to the public. To neglect language and writing for even something as pedestrian as a basketball board is to create the wrong habits for one of the true gifts of the human race - the art of communication.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 10:32:53 AM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2008, 12:38:55 PM »
Actually I've noticed that a lot on the board in general.  If you try to copy and paste text from another location you will get the ? all over the place.

I've also noticed that sarcasm doesn't translate well on this board as well.  Although sometimes my intent is to be sarcastic without giving it away, I guess my gauge for laying it on thick is off.

Obviously spelling and grammar are not my thing.  Messing with old people is though.  I am slowly climbing the ranks on JoMaL's list of things he dislikes.  I think I am right under 'kids skateboarding on the sidewalk' and 'loud rock music'

That's funny cause I'm am actually starting to get some "old" tendencies.  I jump at the opportunity to talk smack and trade barbs but when that kid gave me the "OWNED" routine I took the "You little wipper snapper, how dare you!" attitude.  I did eventually recover and told him to wait until his nuts drop and his voice gets deeper before he tries to talk smack.  Maybe that's how JoMal views you, he's waiting for you to grow a hair or two on your nuts before you step to him.  Either that or you lose 2,000 hairs from the top of you head like JoMal to be considered a "big boy".

If he was waiting for me to step to him he wouldn't have taken his frustrations out in the GS/Laker thread.  Actually its exactly like your XBOX situation.  I make JoMaL angry with my skills and he has to fall back on 'b-b-but your mom tucks you in at night' responses lol

My biggest problem with you, westkoast is just this. It is hypocritcal on your part to accuse me of exactly what you always fall back on, which is weak comebacks to throw the topic off kilter. You do it every time. I DO, however, find it amazing that you can recognize when it is being thrown back at you and you clearly take offense from it. But the self-glorification that you make me so angry.....?     :D   :D

Also, when you are older, sarcasm will be more apparent to you then it is now. That clearly must be an age thing, as the wiser board members around here always get my meaning before you do.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2008, 12:42:07 PM »
Edited because my PC inserts a question mark where an apostrophe belongs, and at leat I will make a correction, unlike the abortions in grammar and spelling you see fit to post. Leave this subject alone WOW, you are way out of your league here, your league being Kindergarten Ebonics.

I usually don't go back and edit posts unless the mistake(s) changes the "message" or meaning of the post.  I am not big on grammar or spelling, IMO that falls under the "memorization" or "knowledge" category of thinking.  Memorization is the lowest form of thinking and with all the tools available for spelling and grammar, no I'm not talking about MS Word, I don't find that skill on a message board all that important.  In my current line of work, throughout most of my career as well, I have had to communicate with people both verbally and in writing.  I have always been able to communicate to personnel ranging from "screw turner" to CEO's.  I will "check" my spelling and grammar when I determine it to be necessary.  I also type as fast as most people speak so with speed comes a bit of inaccuracy. 

While memorization and comprehension are the foundation of thinking, I consider those two levels of thinking a "given".  This board is very different from 90% of the message boards out there so my expectation of the participants on here is for them to be reading posts with their "application" and "analysis" caps on.  I don't know if you caught JoMals "slplelnig and cmpoirenshon" post a while back but it doesn't appear our brains put much emphasis on spelling and grammar.

That being said, in this case typed, it was a JOKE, I have been pleading with Dabods about a crayon font for months.
The running theme this week was kicked off by rickotreat climbing his high horse, falling off the other side, hitting the ground, rolling over then tumbling down the Grand Canyon in regards to "spelling" and "grammar". 

Sorry, WOW, but Dan is completely correct on this point.

Language, spoken or written, should be clear and free of mistakes if possible, and the use of proper grammer important to maintain. It is one sign of the better part of civilization and should never be allowed to deteriorate. I will never agree to allow the lowest common denominator dictate how society shifts. It has happen all too frequently, where we allow the worst to dominate. All too frequently (and, really, no offense on this westkoast), the young people who come in for interviews - all of whom must be college graduates before being interviewed - have neglected grammer and the ability to write clearly from participating too freely of the IPOD generation of altered language. It cannot be accommodated in the professional workforce, where "meaning", "clarity" are paramount to our products before we release them to the public. To neglect language and writing for even something as pedestrian as a basketball board is to create the wrong habits for one of the true gifts of the human race - the art of communication.   

There is two reasons for that...

1) Grammar is not quite taught like it use to be in schools.  Why it has taken a back seat in English classes, I do not know.  Not to say that as an excuse.  It just is not quite the same as when some of you guys were in school.  This is not my personal excuse/reason though.  I've always hated English related classes and was more drawn to history and science (probably because I wasn't good at it as you guys can tell lol)  Just something I've noticed as I got out of school yet continued to help my youngest brother and cousins with homework over the years, it just isn't taught the same as it use to be.

2) Casual email, texting, message boards, myspace, instant messaging....Like Dan said, these mediums don't always require someone to have perfect grammar and/or spelling.  When you spend most of your time communicating this way you start falling into very bad habits.  Team that up with the fact that teaching has moved away from it for the most part and you got a major problem.

Its started before the IPOD generation.  Right after the yellow sony cassette tape walkman generation (which Skand and I fall into). 

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2008, 12:45:56 PM »
For crying out loud, westkoast, why on earth would you think I dislike you? I like everyone on this board, except Dabods, of course. No one likes the guy who runs things.

I have also had some problems with quotes and things; something else to blame on Dabods.

You know, I don't like Dabods, either.  He is just so goshdarned, annoyingly, even-keeled and this site is annoyingly free of any annoying little idiosyncracies and annoyingly well-maintained, too, and that's annoying! 

He may drive me to my breaking point --- is it so hard to BE BIASED and DISAGREEABLE for once, Derek!!     

and do not account for....um....western-sized progeny equipment.

Careful there, JoMal.  Please excuse while I represent the continent here:  size has nothing to do with being "western".  I'll leave it at that before the conversation nose-dives further. 

Skandery, you ignorant slut!

If I BUY the pants in a WESTERN (ie - the United States) country and the pants were made in an EASTERN country, I find it unnecessary to bring in references to a EURASIAN region to make a cameo appearance for the "oh, yeah, them too" benefit, in case people were wondering if others can also claim endowment problems with the pants. I would suggest you buy a pair for yourself and bring it up after testdriving them for a day. It can make you very irritated at things (like westkoast), if left unattended, however.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2008, 12:47:17 PM »

My biggest problem with you, westkoast is just this. It is hypocritcal on your part to accuse me of exactly what you always fall back on, which is weak comebacks to throw the topic off kilter. You do it every time. I DO, however, find it amazing that you can recognize when it is being thrown back at you and you clearly take offense from it. But the self-glorification that you make me so angry.....?     :D   :D

Also, when you are older, sarcasm will be more apparent to you then it is now. That clearly must be an age thing, as the wiser board members around here always get my meaning before you do.

And my biggest problem with you, Jomal is just this very same thing.   You come with weak insults yourself that muddy up debates.  I can't count how many times you have let weak insults muddy up Laker debates.   You are guilty of that just as I am.   It is funny to hear you complain about someone not getting sarcasm when CLEARLY I use quite a bit of sarcasm in my posts.  Do I really believe you are over there throwing darts at a print out of this board with my name and avatar? Nope.  Do I really believe we have somehow become George Bush and Sadaam via the Internet where we want to take down the other.  Nope.  The self-glorification was just that, sarcasm.  What cracks me up is you KNOW I am throwing out bait, you know I am trying to ruffle feathers, and you STILL take the bait.  To top it off you then try to disguise it by you coming off as this ancient sage who is trying to teach the young whippersnapper a lesson.  That is why I have to take the old joke swipes, you know just to bring you back down off your hill top in Sacramento.  I am very aware of what I am doing.

As for the weak comebacks, they are jabs, meant to put some fire into this board.  Some people find them funny.  You would/might to if they were not directed at you but maybe LFD instead.  You should be more like me JoMaL..I actually do laugh at insults thrown my way.  In fact I like to be insulted if it makes me laugh.  That's the type of person I am.  As long as its funny, it is okay in my book.  Even if I am the butt of the joke.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 12:52:21 PM by westkoast »

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2008, 01:02:09 PM »
Skandery, you ignorant slut!

An SNL reference veiled in a potshot, not bad.  Derek, are you taking notes?

If I BUY the pants in a WESTERN (ie - the United States) country and the pants were made in an EASTERN country, I find it unnecessary to bring in references to a EURASIAN region to make a cameo appearance for the "oh, yeah, them too" benefit, in case people were wondering if others can also claim endowment problems with the pants.

Ah.  I catch your drift.  Though I will admit I like it being recorded for posterity's sake, nonetheless.  Wouldn't want anyone else making my mistake. ;)     
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2008, 01:14:12 PM »

And my biggest problem with you, Jomal is just this very same thing.   You come with weak insults yourself that muddy up debates.  I can't count how many times you have let weak insults muddy up Laker debates.   You are guilty of that just as I am.   It is funny to hear you complain about someone not getting sarcasm when CLEARLY I use quite a bit of sarcasm in my posts.  Do I really believe you are over there throwing darts at a print out of this board with my name and avatar? Nope.  Do I really believe we have somehow become George Bush and Sadaam via the Internet where we want to take down the other.  Nope.  The self-glorification was just that, sarcasm.  What cracks me up is you KNOW I am throwing out bait, you know I am trying to ruffle feathers, and you STILL take the bait.  To top it off you then try to disguise it by you coming off as this ancient sage who is trying to teach the young whippersnapper a lesson.  That is why I have to take the old joke swipes, you know just to bring you back down off your hill top in Sacramento.  I am very aware of what I am doing.

As for the weak comebacks, they are jabs, meant to put some fire into this board.  Some people find them funny.  You would/might to if they were not directed at you but maybe LFD instead.  You should be more like me JoMaL..I actually do laugh at insults thrown my way.  In fact I like to be insulted if it makes me laugh.  That's the type of person I am.  As long as its funny, it is okay in my book.  Even if I am the butt of the joke.

MMMM'kay, if you say so.

Never thought of myself as an old sage, so thanks for the acknowledgement. So here goes some of that sage advice, young whippersnapper - the art of using sarcasm is not easy. Takes practise and sometimes you miss your mark and people go off in an odd direction from what you intended. Some, like WOW, Skandery, Ted - are pretty good at seeing the plot unfold and providing their own derisive comments. Others <insert appropriate name here> are not so easily able to make sarcasm work for them.

But in your case, from now on, I will assume that all you contribute is sardonic commentary. Believe me, it will make it much easier on both of us.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2008, 04:02:30 PM »

Where does the article say that he was slow?  You really need to do a little more research before coming to such a conclusion -- you can actually watch some of his games online rather than just reading in your preconcieved opinions.  You would see that some of the assumptions you are making aren't true.

"His limited mobility gets exploited in pick-and-roll situations that the opponents throw at him; he's not a great intimidator, he allows smaller opponents to shoot over him; and given his superb size, he's not the best rebounder around."

I'm sorry, Randy, but is 'limited mobility' an oxymoron for 'blazing agility'?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2008, 05:00:59 PM »

Where does the article say that he was slow?  You really need to do a little more research before coming to such a conclusion -- you can actually watch some of his games online rather than just reading in your preconcieved opinions.  You would see that some of the assumptions you are making aren't true.

"His limited mobility gets exploited in pick-and-roll situations that the opponents throw at him; he's not a great intimidator, he allows smaller opponents to shoot over him; and given his superb size, he's not the best rebounder around."

I've yet to see a euro player come over here and be good at anything defense related.  So I dunno how much to take of that with a grain of salt.

One thing to mention is all that is said above about Marc can actually be applied to Pau.  I don't think hes great in pick and roll situations nor is he an intimidating player.   Quite frankly for a 7 footer he is not a good rebounder.  However is there anyone who wouldn't want to have Pau Gasol on their squad?

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2008, 05:39:11 PM »
I've yet to see a euro player come over here and be good at anything defense related.  So I dunno how much to take of that with a grain of salt.

Andrei Kirilenko is a small forward for the Utah Jazz and is generally recognized as one of the better defenders in the NBA.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2008, 05:43:38 PM »

Andrei Kirilenko is a small forward for the Utah Jazz and is generally recognized as one of the better defenders in the NBA.
  ;D

Homer
Dan

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2008, 05:51:08 PM »
Correction:

Complete homer.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2008, 05:53:28 PM »

Where does the article say that he was slow?  You really need to do a little more research before coming to such a conclusion -- you can actually watch some of his games online rather than just reading in your preconcieved opinions.  You would see that some of the assumptions you are making aren't true.

He can run the floor -- I have watched him via video.  As I mentioned, he is a lot like other Euro centers (Vlade, Pau, etc.) in that he can run the floor, has great range and has good moves around the basket (i.e. that's why the opponents HAD to double-team him).  He doesn't play the pick-and-roll that well (see Vlade, Pau, etc.) and he isn't a great rebounder (see Pau).  He definately needs to work on defense -- but all the Euro big men need to do that.  

He definately has some weaknesses but almost every Euro comes to the NBA with a defensive weakness and most of them are not ready to run like the court like the NBA does.

I'm not saying that he is going to be a great player -- but I do think he has the chance to be as good as his brother.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2008, 05:54:10 PM »

Russia is in the EU now?