Author Topic: My grades of the trades....  (Read 19148 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My grades of the trades....
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2008, 02:38:38 PM »
Beagles are ugly over sized rats!  This years Westminster Dog show was total COLLUSION!

You actually know which dog won at the Westminster Dog show?

GAY.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2008, 02:40:04 PM »
Was that not a GIVEN?  There were plenty of posts and articles that stated just that aspect from the guy who actually MADE the trade.

I seem to remember Wallace denying that was a factor in the trade or that he was pressured by ownership to make the trade. Could be wrong, but that's my recollection.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2008, 02:46:29 PM »
They are no more attractive now than they were before.

I disagree.  Their payroll is smaller, 17 million under the cap next year, making them more attractive for a buyer.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2008, 02:48:15 PM »
Beagles are ugly over sized rats!  This years Westminster Dog show was total COLLUSION!

GAY.

I heard that the best looking bitches were on TV and tuned in only to see a bunch of female dogs prancing around.  I was TRICKED! :D 
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2008, 02:50:46 PM »
Was that not a GIVEN?  There were plenty of posts and articles that stated just that aspect from the guy who actually MADE the trade.

I seem to remember Wallace denying that was a factor in the trade or that he was pressured by ownership to make the trade. Could be wrong, but that's my recollection.

True, but when referring to Kwame the Grizz GM called him the "biggest expiring contract".  They also looked at the pattern of "fire sale" or "gutting" moves made and they all pointed to cost cutting.  Nothing to improve their performance on the court, all the moves were made to make them look better on the books.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2008, 02:58:55 PM »
This board has become pretty crappy IMO.

Can't disagree more.  

I think the board is wonderful.  Not to say that you all haven't gotten on my last nerve a couple of times.  Not to say that some schticks don't get a little stale:  yes WOW, ownage is funny; yes JoMal is older than the sun; yes westkoast likes his Playskool computer; I know Rick, buy more gold; yes Ted has more wives than seasons Sloan has been coaching; and Reality has pulled every muscle in his legs with all the bandwagon jumping he's done.  

Overall, there isn't the quality of discussion (ranging on all kinds of subjects, not just basketball) quite like there is on this board.  Even if tempers flare or oneupmanship goes a tad too far.    

I'll be the sentimental fool around here and say I wouldn't trade a one of you . . .

. . . unless they give me Kwame's expiring contract. :P

Sense when was growing older a disease, anyway? Some posters around here clearly do not believe that one day they also will get old. Then what will they think?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2008, 02:59:16 PM »

GAY.

:D   :D   :D
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2008, 03:00:06 PM »

GAY.

I heard that the best looking bitches were on TV and tuned in only to see a bunch of female dogs prancing around.  I was TRICKED! :D 

buuuuuuut..........you watched anyway because..............?

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2008, 03:00:59 PM »
True, but when referring to Kwame the Grizz GM called him the "biggest expiring contract".  They also looked at the pattern of "fire sale" or "gutting" moves made and they all pointed to cost cutting.  Nothing to improve their performance on the court, all the moves were made to make them look better on the books.

then why not dump Mike Miller before the deadline this past Feb.  Looking better on the books wasn't the only reason.  

I think their coach and their GM had a foolish notion that Gasol was not a good fit for their scheme and let themselves be pressured by Heisley into dumping the salary.  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2008, 03:01:32 PM »
...... yes westkoast likes his Playskool computer

okay, now I feel vindicated   :D   :D   :D

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2008, 03:13:01 PM »

Can't disagree more. 

I think the board is wonderful.  Not to say that you all haven't gotten on my last nerve a couple of times.  Not to say that some schticks don't get a little stale:  yes WOW, ownage is funny; yes JoMal is older than the sun; yes westkoast likes his Playskool computer; I know Rick, buy more gold; yes Ted has more wives than seasons Sloan has been coaching; and Reality has pulled every muscle in his legs with all the bandwagon jumping he's done. 

Overall, there isn't the quality of discussion (ranging on all kinds of subjects, not just basketball) quite like there is on this board.  Even if tempers flare or oneupmanship goes a tad too far.   

I'll be the sentimental fool around here and say I wouldn't trade a one of you . . .

Sense when was growing older a disease, anyway? Some posters around here clearly do not believe that one day they also will get old. Then what will they think?

Oh I know.  Believe me.  I have grandfathers around your age so aging is right in my face come Easter Sunday.

Lucky for me by the time I get old they will be able to download my pea brain onto an old DVD floppy disk and turn me into a human slash robot that pushes buttons on a message board.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2008, 03:15:22 PM »
Here is a little info on Gasol -- definately sounds like a worthless piece of trash who can't do anything, huh, ziggy?

February 19, 2008
The current leader in efficiency rating in the ACB League, Marc Gasol has built a pretty mistake-free style of game that helps him to emerge as a statistical standout. He?s long, very strong, nicely skilled, and very smart playing the game. A menace in the low post, he shows solid footwork, a decent jump-hook and a very nice turnaround jumper. Indeed his shooting range extends out to the three-point line, while he greatly combines his scoring power with his passing game, not really looking for definitive passes, but feeding his team?s offensive flow by distributing the ball from both the high and low post.

In spite of all that, his nice effort in the quarterfinal game wasn't enough for Akasvayu Girona to overcome an extremely solid Real Madrid team. Despite being regularly double-teamed, Gasol managed to amass 19 points, most of them coming off continuations towards the basket, and other off-ball stuff near the rim. The attention he delivered from Real Madrid defense didn't allow him to produce much in one-on-one plays in the low post, but he still connected on two thunderous one-handed dunks from there, one of them after capturing the baseline with an excellent spin move where he showed nice footspeed.

However, Gasol's great statistical production doesn't always necessarily reflect a dominating performance on the floor. Indeed, it didn't in this Copa. He wasn't really a go-to guy for Girona on the offensive end (mainly because of Real Madrid?s double-teaming defense, that's true), but especially he doesn't make a great impact on the defensive end. His limited mobility gets exploited in pick-and-roll situations that the opponents throw at him; he's not a great intimidator, he allows smaller opponents to shoot over him; and given his superb size, he's not the best rebounder around.

Still, Pau's younger brother is one of the most promising centers in Europe, and probably an underrated piece -by the American media- in the recent blockbuster trade that involved both brothers. Anyway, he doesn't seem to fit too well with the current Memphis Grizzlies game style, but he might be a nice asset to work in a trade in the near future.

Is this description of Marc Gasol really a testimonial of his talents?"

"...(Gasol) is "pretty" mistake-free that helps him emerge as a statistical standout"

"He's long, very strong, and "nicely" skilled, and "very" smart playing the game."

"He shows "solid" footwork, a "decent" jump-hook, and a "very nice" turn around jumper."

"he greatly combines his scoring power with his passing game, "not really looking" for definitive passes, but feeding his team's offensive flow by distributing the ball from both the high and low post.

"....an excellent spin move where he showed "nice" footspeed"

"he doesn't make a great impact on the defensive end."

"Gasol's great statistical production doesn't always necessarily reflect a dominating performance on the floor"

"He wasn't really a go-to guy"

And my favorite:

"... especially he doesn't make a great impact on the defensive end. His limited mobility gets exploited in pick-and-roll situations that the opponents throw at him; he's not a great intimidator, he allows smaller opponents to shoot over him; and given his superb size, he's not the best rebounder around."

And finally"

"he doesn't seem to fit too well with the current Memphis Grizzlies game style, but he might be a nice asset to work in a trade in the near future."

If this were a discription of a current NBA center, we would be looking fondly back at Kwame Brown. But no, this is a "favorable" description of Gasol from his play in Spain and Europe. Ziggy, me thinks Randy is shining you big time, if he wants us to think Marc Gasol will be the second coming of Pao.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2008, 03:17:30 PM »

Can't disagree more. 

I think the board is wonderful.  Not to say that you all haven't gotten on my last nerve a couple of times.  Not to say that some schticks don't get a little stale:  yes WOW, ownage is funny; yes JoMal is older than the sun; yes westkoast likes his Playskool computer; I know Rick, buy more gold; yes Ted has more wives than seasons Sloan has been coaching; and Reality has pulled every muscle in his legs with all the bandwagon jumping he's done. 

Overall, there isn't the quality of discussion (ranging on all kinds of subjects, not just basketball) quite like there is on this board.  Even if tempers flare or oneupmanship goes a tad too far.   

Oh I know.  Believe me.  I have grandfathers around your age so aging is right in my face come Easter Sunday.

Lucky for me by the time I get old they will be able to download my pea brain onto an old DVD floppy disk and turn me into a human slash robot that pushes buttons on a message board.

How is that different from what you are now?

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2008, 03:28:09 PM »
Here is a little info on Gasol -- definately sounds like a worthless piece of trash who can't do anything, huh, ziggy?

February 19, 2008
The current leader in efficiency rating in the ACB League, Marc Gasol has built a pretty mistake-free style of game that helps him to emerge as a statistical standout. He?s long, very strong, nicely skilled, and very smart playing the game. A menace in the low post, he shows solid footwork, a decent jump-hook and a very nice turnaround jumper. Indeed his shooting range extends out to the three-point line, while he greatly combines his scoring power with his passing game, not really looking for definitive passes, but feeding his team?s offensive flow by distributing the ball from both the high and low post.

In spite of all that, his nice effort in the quarterfinal game wasn't enough for Akasvayu Girona to overcome an extremely solid Real Madrid team. Despite being regularly double-teamed, Gasol managed to amass 19 points, most of them coming off continuations towards the basket, and other off-ball stuff near the rim. The attention he delivered from Real Madrid defense didn't allow him to produce much in one-on-one plays in the low post, but he still connected on two thunderous one-handed dunks from there, one of them after capturing the baseline with an excellent spin move where he showed nice footspeed.

However, Gasol's great statistical production doesn't always necessarily reflect a dominating performance on the floor. Indeed, it didn't in this Copa. He wasn't really a go-to guy for Girona on the offensive end (mainly because of Real Madrid?s double-teaming defense, that's true), but especially he doesn't make a great impact on the defensive end. His limited mobility gets exploited in pick-and-roll situations that the opponents throw at him; he's not a great intimidator, he allows smaller opponents to shoot over him; and given his superb size, he's not the best rebounder around.

Still, Pau's younger brother is one of the most promising centers in Europe, and probably an underrated piece -by the American media- in the recent blockbuster trade that involved both brothers. Anyway, he doesn't seem to fit too well with the current Memphis Grizzlies game style, but he might be a nice asset to work in a trade in the near future.

Is this description of Marc Gasol really a testimonial of his talents?"

"...(Gasol) is "pretty" mistake-free that helps him emerge as a statistical standout"

"He's long, very strong, and "nicely" skilled, and "very" smart playing the game."

"He shows "solid" footwork, a "decent" jump-hook, and a "very nice" turn around jumper."

"he greatly combines his scoring power with his passing game, "not really looking" for definitive passes, but feeding his team's offensive flow by distributing the ball from both the high and low post.

"....an excellent spin move where he showed "nice" footspeed"

"he doesn't make a great impact on the defensive end."

"Gasol's great statistical production doesn't always necessarily reflect a dominating performance on the floor"

"He wasn't really a go-to guy"

And my favorite:

"... especially he doesn't make a great impact on the defensive end. His limited mobility gets exploited in pick-and-roll situations that the opponents throw at him; he's not a great intimidator, he allows smaller opponents to shoot over him; and given his superb size, he's not the best rebounder around."

And finally"

"he doesn't seem to fit too well with the current Memphis Grizzlies game style, but he might be a nice asset to work in a trade in the near future."

If this were a discription of a current NBA center, we would be looking fondly back at Kwame Brown. But no, this is a "favorable" description of Gasol from his play in Spain and Europe. Ziggy, me thinks Randy is shining you big time, if he wants us to think Marc Gasol will be the second coming of Pao.  

I'm not real sure where to start, JoMal -- you keep commenting on him not being the go-to-guy but you fail to read the part where it states that he was constantly being double-teamed and was the focus of the opponents defense.  Doesn't that tell you something?  It also makes things a lot easier for your teammates when they have to double-team you -- it means that someone is wide open (I know -- it's been a while since you've seen a Kings player get double-teamed).

As for defense, I don't know of anyone who came from Euro that learned how to play defense there -- but they can be taught.  As I have said, he does have skill and he has great potential -- a big man with great range can really open things up (see the Jazz). 

As for Memphis' current style of game -- who does fit into that style?  It's pretty much helter-skelter do whatever you can because we know we are going to lose anyway!  I don't believe that what is going on presently in Memphis has any long-term status -- this team is going to see a lot of shake-up once they are finally sold.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2008, 03:41:08 PM »

Can't disagree more. 

How is that different from what you are now?

I'm not a robot?  Inside im just a human being...but im working on that

(Two Grandma's Boy references in one thread, HAS NO ONE SEEN THIS MOVIE!)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com