Author Topic: My grades of the trades....  (Read 19113 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
My grades of the trades....
« on: February 23, 2008, 04:57:06 PM »
Los Angeles Lakers - A plus
Memphis Grizzlies - F minus

Phoenix Suns - B Plus
Miami Heat - who cares, but okay, maybe a C

Houston Rockets - C
New Orleans Hornets - B Plus

Atlanta Hawks - C Plus (Bibby is NOT the answer for them)
Sacramento Kings - B Plus (strictly for the expiring contracts; Sheldon Williams is a big <?>)

Cleveland Cavaliers - C Plus (this trade looks like it was done just to please LeBron)
Chicago Bulls - D minus
Seattle Supersonics - B Plus

Dallas Mavericks - B minus
New Jersey Nets - A minus

San Antonio - B
Seattle - B

The final analysis makes me think the Lakers are going into the playoffs strong, the Spurs are making their last lunge before age takes over, the Rockets, not the Suns or Hornets, are the true threats in the West, the Mavericks are toast, and the Eastern teams are way overrated, including Boston, and LeBron is happy, so the Cavs are the real team to beat back there.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My grades of the trades....
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 12:29:10 PM »
What are your grades for the first trade of the season?

Utah Jazz and Philadelphia 76ers:

Korver for Giricek and pick

Jazz are now 19-4 since the trade.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 02:43:08 PM »
Los Angeles Lakers - A plus
Memphis Grizzlies - F minus  After giving away Gasol for nothing they get gun shy, and are unwilling to move Mike Miller for anything.  Worst NBA franchise right now, no plan and no clue.

Phoenix Suns - B  They weren't going to win with Marion, so why not take a shot at it with Shaq. 
Miami Heat - B  They weren't going anywhere with Shaq, so why not try something and reduce payroll.  I was surprised they didn't try to do something with Ricky Davis.

Houston Rockets - D  How does this deal help them?  It only allowed them to get out from under Mike James, but it doesn't make them any better.
New Orleans Hornets - B Plus  Good deal.  Didn't give up anything, and got some potential help.

Atlanta Hawks - B + They lost nothing, and they added a good player in Bibby, in the position where they most needed help.
Sacramento Kings - B Got lots of expiring contracts, and added S Williams, which is a worthwhile risk, as they really only have to commit to one season.  I believe Williams will be a bust.  One of the worst top 5 picks in recent memory.  A mid to late first rounder and he is OK, so Sacto can find out next year just how good he might be, and pay him accordingly.

Cleveland Cavaliers - B Plus  The only player they lost that was really contributing was Gooden.  Hughes has been hurt and adding nothing.  Newble, Marshall et al were just roster fodder.  They added a shooter which they needed, they added a better PG than any one they already had, and got a rebounder, and defender in Wallace, and a great role player in Smith.
Chicago Bulls - C Plus  Chicago was going nowhere with what they had.  This is now do or die time for Ty Thomas, and an opportunity to see what Noah can do.  There is no reason to sit those guys if this team isn't going to go deep in the playoffs, so see what you have.
Seattle Supersonics - B  Seattle added contracts, which will reduce their payroll earlier, which for them makes sense, so they can make a run at a FA in a year or 2

Dallas Mavericks - C-  This is about going all in.  Harris is going to be a solid pro, and Diop was a good defender.  This is a short term move to get deep in the playoffs.  I don't believe it will help.
New Jersey Nets - A minus  Kidd was a cancer, and NJ was going nowhere, so they got a good PG for the long term.  Contrast this to Memphis.  Memphis gave up an all-star big guy in his prime, for a total loser.  NJ gave up an old PG past his prime, for a young top 1/3 PG.

San Antonio - B+  Thomas is an ideal fit, and the draft pick would be a late first rounder.  Smart move.
Seattle - B  Seattle did a great job in renting Thomas for 50 games.  None of their draft picks will be high draft picks, but they have increased their odds of getting at least one maybe 2 players for their regular rotation.

Utah
  -  A  Korver is way better than Giricek, and isn't making that much money.  Great deal, and the results show that.
Philly  -  C  This was about cap space, and that is what they got.  I am not a big fan of trading talent for cap space, hence my grade of a C.

Houston
  -  B  Green is a risk worth taking, Snyder was going nowhere
Minnesota  -  D  Snyder is older, with much less potential.  Minny sucks, so why trade away potential for a proven marginal talent.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 02:49:25 PM »
Houston Rockets - D  How does this deal help them?  It only allowed them to get out from under Mike James, but it doesn't make them any better.
New Orleans Hornets - B Plus  Good deal.  Didn't give up anything, and got some potential help.

The Rockets weakest link was backup PG (even starting PG as I don't think Alston is a NBA starter).  Bobby Jackson will give them minutes in their rotation, knows Adelman's offense, is a more consistant shooter and removes a potetnial playoff lockerroom cancer in Bonzi. 
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 03:17:53 PM »

Well it definitely worked for the Jazz.  The Sixers don't even play Giricek.  They were 13-16 when they trade Kyle and they are 12-16 since, so they are playing about the same with additional cap space to help them acquire a free agent.

The trade has also forced the coach to play the younger players more, and they are responding.  In the overtime win against Miami, Young and Williams who are 21, were in the game at the end, along with Miller, Igoudala and Dalembert.  I think it took some time for the Sixers to recover from loosing Kyle as their 6th man, but I also think they are now a better team as a result. They have improved offensively, which has enabled them to win a few more games than they would have if they stayed as they were.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 03:28:49 PM »

I probably forgot several. This one, because Korver is a minor player, but he HAS given the outside game a lift for the Jazz. B Plus

On the Sixers' side, less of an impact. C Minus, depending on the pick, of course.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 03:36:22 PM »

The Rockets weakest link was backup PG (even starting PG as I don't think Alston is a NBA starter).  Bobby Jackson will give them minutes in their rotation, knows Adelman's offense, is a more consistant shooter and removes a potetnial playoff lockerroom cancer in Bonzi. 

Couldn't have said it any better, Lurker. Jackson will play Adelman's game much better then the guys traded to New Orleans ever would have.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 03:45:13 PM »

Atlanta Hawks - B + They lost nothing, and they added a good player in Bibby, in the position where they most needed help.
Sacramento Kings - B Got lots of expiring contracts, and added S Williams, which is a worthwhile risk, as they really only have to commit to one season.  I believe Williams will be a bust.  One of the worst top 5 picks in recent memory.  A mid to late first rounder and he is OK, so Sacto can find out next year just how good he might be, and pay him accordingly.

Hope you are right about Bibby's fit with the Hawks, but the main reason the Kings wanted him gone was <besides his contract> because he has a tendancy to dominate the ball, and the Kings already had Artest to do that. With two teammates hogging scoring opportunities, Kevin Martin was not exactly scoring like Theus would like him to, hense the trading of Bibby. Artest only stayed as well because the Nuggets refused to include Kleiza in the proposed trade. Petrie wisely declined any other offer made for him, and now Artest is even happy about how Theus is using him in the offense.

The drafting of Williams at #5 was the Hawk's mistake. If he were drafted where he truly belongs, which was in the high twenties (maybe a little lower), then no one would label him a bust. Some bigs take a while to develop as NBA pro's, so if we treat Williams as he should have been treated to begin with, there is the possibility of development there. In his brief time with the Kings, he plays really good defense, has a nice jumper, rebounds okay, but needs to figure out spacing without being told where to go on each offensive series.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 04:58:42 PM »

The drafting of Williams at #5 was the Hawk's mistake. If he were drafted where he truly belongs, which was in the high twenties (maybe a little lower), then no one would label him a bust. Some bigs take a while to develop as NBA pro's, so if we treat Williams as he should have been treated to begin with, there is the possibility of development there. In his brief time with the Kings, he plays really good defense, has a nice jumper, rebounds okay, but needs to figure out spacing without being told where to go on each offensive series.

I agree Williams was Atlanta's mistake.  I also believe that Sacto taking him on is a risk worth taking.  They pay him per his rookie contract next year, and if they don't believe he is worth the 4th year qualifying offer, then they can offer what they want or let him walk.  Relatively low risk.  When I refer to bust that is only in the context of being #5 pick.  If he is paid like a #20 pick then that is a different story.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 01:33:32 PM »

Dallas Mavericks - C-  This is about going all in.  Harris is going to be a solid pro, and Diop was a good defender.  This is a short term move to get deep in the playoffs.  I don't believe it will help.
New Jersey Nets - A minus  Kidd was a cancer, and NJ was going nowhere, so they got a good PG for the long term.  Contrast this to Memphis.  Memphis gave up an all-star big guy in his prime, for a total loser.  NJ gave up an old PG past his prime, for a young top 1/3 PG.

San Antonio - B+  Thomas is an ideal fit, and the draft pick would be a late first rounder.  Smart move.
Seattle - B  Seattle did a great job in renting Thomas for 50 games.  None of their draft picks will be high draft picks, but they have increased their odds of getting at least one maybe 2 players for their regular rotation.
Kidd now 0-8 vs winning teams.

Barrdog officially signed with Spurs.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 01:39:50 PM »

Kidd now 0-8 vs winning teams.

Barrdog officially signed with Spurs.

Spurs collusion 2008 is officially ON!!!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 02:23:47 PM »
Spurs collusion 2008 is officially ON!!!
10/10 lame scale. 
Did all other teams, including the Lakers, have a chance to sign Barry?  Yes.
Did any other teams besides the Jerry West Lakers have a chance to sign Gasol from the Jerry West Grizzles?  Not a chance.

Default answer Randolph if you're catching up to WoW and the other Krishnas on this topic. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 02:50:47 PM »
10/10 lame scale. 

funny.  that wasn't your answer then the SAME THING was rumored to be going on with Stackhouse.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 02:52:16 PM »
Did any other teams besides the Jerry West Lakers have a chance to sign Gasol from the Jerry West Grizzles?  Not a chance.

Default answer Randolph if you're catching up to WoW and the other Krishnas on this topic. 

What did West have to do with Memphis?  Every team had a shot at Gasol, the Bulls had him in the bag if they hadn't screwed up and try to send a big contract Memphis's way.  I guess you have not kept up with the post trade news, lots of teams blew it, including the Spurs.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 03:00:49 PM »