Author Topic: My grades of the trades....  (Read 19090 times)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: My grades of the trades....
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2008, 06:01:16 PM »
^^IF they aint American, they's a bunch a dern foreners!

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2008, 06:34:45 PM »
Yes. As far as basketball is concerned.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2008, 07:23:07 PM »
I've yet to see a euro player come over here and be good at anything defense related.  So I dunno how much to take of that with a grain of salt.

Andrei Kirilenko is a small forward for the Utah Jazz and is generally recognized as one of the better defenders in the NBA.

Russia is in the EU now?

Moscow & St Pete are west of the Urals, so that would make those cities part of Europe.  Switzerland is not part of the EU. neither is Norway or Turkey, and yet all those players are considered Euro's.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2008, 07:57:12 PM »
Sorry, WOW, but Dan is completely correct on this point.

What point?  That he can not complete simple trouble shooting tasks to figure out a glitch with copy/paste?  Trouble shooting requires application and analysis levels of thinking, it is far beyond the lowest level of memorization/knowledge thinking, you know the kind of thinking required for spelling.  ::)

FYI, I am joking.  You know joking, like the big joke you made of yourself with the following:

Language, spoken or written, should be clear and free of mistakes if possible, and the use of proper grammer important to maintain.

::)

...grammer important....

Uggg, me Tarzan, you Jane, grammAr important.  Nuff said!  ::)  

It is one sign of the better part of civilization and should never be allowed to deteriorate. I will never agree to allow the lowest common denominator dictate how society shifts. It has happen all too frequently, where we allow the worst to dominate. All too frequently (and, really, no offense on this westkoast), the young people who come in for interviews - all of whom must be college graduates before being interviewed - have neglected grammer and the ability to write clearly from participating too freely of the IPOD generation of altered language.

There are a tons of "signs" people can attribute to reflections of a civilization.  Art and music are always thrown into the mix of a "sign", it usually comes down to the expertise of the person making the statement (i.e. poets say it's poetry, soldiers will say the military and NBA players will say strip clubs).  

I know spelling and grammar are important and we should put more effort in that area.  I also know it's not as important as people want to make it out to be, not to mention there are so many tools out there to fix that problem.  Just think back over history about who made their marks, memory thinkers or critical thinkers?  Granted memorization/retaining knowledge is the foundation for all higher levels of thinking, it has become a foundation replaced by technology and honestly I prefer my kids put their effort in math than english, that's not to say they should ignore it, reading comprehension is very important and you don't get to that level without being able to remember how to actually read.

It cannot be accommodated in the professional workforce, where "meaning", "clarity" are paramount to our products before we release them to the public. To neglect language and writing for even something as pedestrian as a basketball board is to create the wrong habits for one of the true gifts of the human race - the art of communication.  

I've written technical specs and functional requirements for the FDA so I know how important spelling and grammar can be but I just don't put that level of effort around here for various reasons.  I just find it annoying that spelling and grammar are used as a measuring stick by some around here when that measuring stick is far below my standards.  It's reminds me of when people used to compare Japanese and German engineering to my "cowboy" American engineering.  It happened on several occasions in Europe and my response was always the same: What is the name of the that Japanese/German space shuttle?  While they may guage engineering abilities by the excellence of their televisions and automobiles, Americans can point to the space shuttle, stealth bomer, the MRI machine, Raptor and Voyager I as examples of American engineering.

This tanget is making me feel really gay, in a grammar Nazi kind of way.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2008, 01:45:55 AM »
Except he's not a paid consultant, nor is he a decision maker even if he was (which he's not.  He said when Wallace was hired that he'd be open to being a consultant, as a courtesy.  He is not on staff as a consultant).

Kwame for Gasol was the best the Grizzleys could do after shopping Gasol all over the league.

Except you missed the parts of the trade that actually matter (Crittenton, draft picks, cap space).  But then again, I wouldn't expect you to actually think about the salary cap.

I also must have missed where a poor trade is proof of collusion.

But yeah, the Grizzlies just ruined their future because of the advice of an unpaid consultant.  Conspiracy theorists unite!

Stackhouse.
A "poor trade".  That is your description of the trade.  Maybe an understatement?  Kind of like "a poor trade" is made by several teams every season?  No more no less?  For goodness sake the board Krishnas are calling this the most lopsided trade in 20 years.

No i do not have "proof" that West helped his Lakers along after his 6 year relationship with the Grizzleys.  Nor is there proof that OJ hacked two people.

The cap space could have been accomplished by trades with many other teams that had expirings.  Can i expect you to think about that? 
In fact is it not better for a team in the Grizz position, for what they were trying to (allegedly) accomplish would be to have two or even three players with expirings totalling the 9 million the Kwamster had.  That way they open up three roster spots.  Zig?

Critterton and the two late 1st rounders are going make this trade all okay?  Okay.
I'm with Zigs explaination of what Critter is doing so far.  We shall see what the two late 1st rounders turn out to be.  Compare with what MN got for KG.

Stackhouse could have been picked up by many other NBA teams.  No so with Gasol.  Bad comparison.

And why was Mike Miller made unavailable?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2008, 08:55:28 AM »
Reality there is proof OJ hacked up two people...a bloody glove, blood in a getaway car, running from police, being seen in the area....

You however have ZERO and I mean ZERO proof that Jerry West magically made this trade happen behind the scenes.  Cut the conspiracy theory bs.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2008, 09:02:28 AM »
Reality there is proof OJ hacked up two people...a bloody glove, blood in a getaway car, running from police, being seen in the area....

You however have ZERO and I mean ZERO proof that Jerry West magically made this trade happen behind the scenes.  Cut the conspiracy theory bs.

I have proof that the Spurs could have offered the same deal as the Lakers but they BLEW IT.  I also have proof that Reality runs away from threads when he gets OW....exposed.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2008, 11:23:06 AM »

What point?  That he can not complete simple trouble shooting tasks to figure out a glitch with copy/paste?  Trouble shooting requires application and analysis levels of thinking, it is far beyond the lowest level of memorization/knowledge thinking, you know the kind of thinking required for spelling.  ::)

FYI, I am joking.  You know joking, like the big joke you made of yourself with the following:

Language, spoken or written, should be clear and free of mistakes if possible, and the use of proper grammer important to maintain.

::)

...grammer important....

Uggg, me Tarzan, you Jane, grammAr important.  Nuff said!  ::)  

Now that is embarassing. So embarassing that I went back to the original post and corrected the spelling. To me, it is worth it.

There are a tons of "signs" people can attribute to reflections of a civilization.  Art and music are always thrown into the mix of a "sign", it usually comes down to the expertise of the person making the statement (i.e. poets say it's poetry, soldiers will say the military and NBA players will say strip clubs).  

I know spelling and grammar are important and we should put more effort in that area.  I also know it's not as important as people want to make it out to be, not to mention there are so many tools out there to fix that problem.  Just think back over history about who made their marks, memory thinkers or critical thinkers?  Granted memorization/retaining knowledge is the foundation for all higher levels of thinking, it has become a foundation replaced by technology and honestly I prefer my kids put their effort in math than english, that's not to say they should ignore it, reading comprehension is very important and you don't get to that level without being able to remember how to actually read.

Learning math is great. Trying to explain what you learned and how to express it is just as important, otherwise what math you may learn will just knock around in your head with no outlet. The true art, the true extension of civilization, is the ability to clearly express what you have discovered or learned in a way that makes others see your point. 

I've written technical specs and functional requirements for the FDA so I know how important spelling and grammar can be but I just don't put that level of effort around here for various reasons.  I just find it annoying that spelling and grammar are used as a measuring stick by some around here when that measuring stick is far below my standards.  It's reminds me of when people used to compare Japanese and German engineering to my "cowboy" American engineering.  It happened on several occasions in Europe and my response was always the same: What is the name of the that Japanese/German space shuttle?  While they may guage engineering abilities by the excellence of their televisions and automobiles, Americans can point to the space shuttle, stealth bomer, the MRI machine, Raptor and Voyager I as examples of American engineering.

This tanget is making me feel really gay, in a grammar Nazi kind of way.

Yeah, and "guage" and "bomer" must be European engineering terms unfamiliar to the typical American grammar detective.

As for your gayness, after this and your admittance of watching dog shows, we on the board understand how you might view your own sexual confusion. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

BTW, this European mentality to call anything coming out of America a "cowboy" whatever, is funny, if you think about what true cowboys were really all about.

As for superior American engineers, I will truly be impressed when an alternative to the combustible engine gets designed on THIS side of the Atlantic and put into mass production. At least the European engineers have recognized that this ACTUALLY IS A PROBLEM and have tried to implement alternatives to rectify that issue.

But let's not praise the European innovaters too extravagantly. (JoMal is about to provide an educational and historical tidbit, so you youngsters can stop reading now):

Once upon a time, there was a Swiss watch maker, who figured out a noval way to keep time. What he did was very surprising. He invented digital timekeeping. He tested it and realized his timepiece not only kept excellent time, but could be made much cheaper over time then the traditional (and oh, so famous and snootty) Swiss watchmakers of the time could ever conceive. He brought his invention to the attention of the Guild of Swiss Watchmakers, or whoever were the old, Swiss traditionalists who ran watchmaking in Switzerland back then. They took a look at this novelty, turned their snooty, old, wrinkled, decrepit, feeble, infirm (come, wk, help me out here on some good adjectives for ancient people) noses up at the idea and told him they would not consider using such a device as an insult to their traditions of watchmaking. Get out!!! Or something just as negative. Discouraged for a while, the spry, skateboarding, gravitational-wanting pants hanging low around his knees, cough syrup-mixed-with-vodka drinking, young inventor took his digital watch to an international watch convention being held in Geneva. He set up a booth, along with all the other watchmakers who were displaying the old, traditional watches of Switzerland all around him and tried to sell his novel idea to someone with any insight. The other old, Swiss watchmakers continued their snootynosed way and walked on by.

Then a delegation of Japanese watchmakers walked by. Most did the Swiss thing and chuckled at the digital watch as they walked by. One, however, took a very long double-take. He slowly smiled, and looked up at the fuzzy faced 10 year old lad in front of him who had come up with the idea.

Within ten years, the Japanese had completely taken over the watchmaking industry and Swiss-made watches were left for old grandfathers to buy so they could pass them down to uncaring grandkids, who preferred the spiffy Japanese models that were cheaper and could do so much more anyway, like time how long it took to rob a liquer store. Finally, years later, the Swiss came up with the digital Swatch to compete with the Japanese. Too late. After centuries of being the watchmakers of the world, the Swiss had to settle as being the bankers of the Nazi's instead while defending their neutrality in the war.

This example is taught as an example of Paradigms in management classes. To be ready for change and incorporate it when change happens, or you will be the one left behind. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 11:26:34 AM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2008, 11:45:45 AM »
Thanks for the warning JoMal.  I am fresh out of red bull and did not want to fall asleep at 9:30 am.  After a late night of skateboarding and drinking cough syrup the last thing I need is another reason to make me want to go back to bed.  I actually do have to pay attention to this conference call I am on.  Even though ive managed to spend the last hour of the call posting on here.

All jokes aside, excellent point about changing and adapting.  Although you don't exactly have to go all the way back to when the digital watch was invented to prove that.  You could point to the Microsoft/Google battle that has been raging the last few years.  Playing catch up is not only tough, at times its impossible. 

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2008, 12:05:58 PM »
Now that is embarassing. So embarassing that I went back to the original post and corrected the spelling. To me, it is worth it.

That's what I like about you JoMal, whenever I hand you your arse on a silver platter you at least have the eye sight, or hind sight if the case may be, to recognize it.  Dam, too bad "OWXXX" is on hiatus this week  (yes I know there are at least 2 spelling mistakes in those run-on sentences and at least one mistake in this one).  Where is Dan to pick up his platter?

Learning math is great. Trying to explain what you learned and how to express it is just as important, otherwise what math you may learn will just knock around in your head with no outlet. The true art, the true extension of civilization, is the ability to clearly express what you have discovered or learned in a way that makes others see your point.

Math IMO is the great equalizer, it has no language or historian limitations like grammar and so many other subjects.  No conqueror is going to impose his "math" on anybody like they do with language and history since math is just math.  Math doesn't require any form of expression other than math, an equation is the same in any language.  I don't argue the importance of conveying information properly I just put much more value in generating the information/art/music/etc...  I have a spell/grammar checker I just don't use it everytime I write something cause it's not always being critiqued, except around here of course. 

Yeah, and "guage" and "bomer" must be European engineering terms unfamiliar to the typical American grammar detective.

As for your gayness, after this and your admittance of watching dog shows, we on the board understand how you might view your own sexual confusion. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I wasn't comparing our grammar skills, they obviously ebonic/cajun/valley suck!  Is that sentenced supposed to end with "that"?  Despite being a grammar novice, that sentence does not look right ending with "that".

BTW, this European mentality to call anything coming out of America a "cowboy" whatever, is funny, if you think about what true cowboys were really all about.

As for superior American engineers, I will truly be impressed when an alternative to the combustible engine gets designed on THIS side of the Atlantic and put into mass production. At least the European engineers have recognized that this ACTUALLY IS A PROBLEM and have tried to implement alternatives to rectify that issue.

The most advanced alternative to internal combustion engines are hydrogen fuel cell cars.  Guess who perfected that technology and took it into outer space?

But let's not praise the European innovaters too extravagantly. (JoMal is about to provide an educational and historical tidbit, so you youngsters can stop reading now):

Once upon a time, there was a Swiss watch maker, who figured out a noval way to keep time. What he did was very surprising. He invented digital timekeeping. He tested it and realized his timepiece not only kept excellent time, but could be made much cheaper over time then the traditional (and oh, so famous and snootty) Swiss watchmakers of the time could ever conceive. He brought his invention to the attention of the Guild of Swiss Watchmakers, or whoever were the old, Swiss traditionalists who ran watchmaking in Switzerland back then. They took a look at this novelty, turned their snooty, old, wrinkled, decrepit, feeble, infirm (come, wk, help me out here on some good adjectives for ancient people) noses up at the idea and told him they would not consider using such a device as an insult to their traditions of watchmaking. Get out!!! Or something just as negative. Discouraged for a while, the spry, skateboarding, gravitational-wanting pants hanging low around his knees, cough syrup-mixed-with-vodka drinking, young inventor took his digital watch to an international watch convention being held in Geneva. He set up a booth, along with all the other watchmakers who were displaying the old, traditional watches of Switzerland all around him and tried to sell his novel idea to someone with any insight. The other old, Swiss watchmakers continued their snootynosed way and walked on by.

Then a delegation of Japanese watchmakers walked by. Most did the Swiss thing and chuckled at the digital watch as they walked by. One, however, took a very long double-take. He slowly smiled, and looked up at the fuzzy faced 10 year old lad in front of him who had come up with the idea.

Within ten years, the Japanese had completely taken over the watchmaking industry and Swiss-made watches were left for old grandfathers to buy so they could pass them down to uncaring grandkids, who preferred the spiffy Japanese models that were cheaper and could do so much more anyway, like time how long it took to rob a liquer store. Finally, years later, the Swiss came up with the digital Swatch to compete with the Japanese. Too late. After centuries of being the watchmakers of the world, the Swiss had to settle as being the bankers of the Nazi's instead while defending their neutrality in the war.

This example is taught as an example of Paradigms in management classes. To be ready for change and incorporate it when change happens, or you will be the one left behind. 

That must have been very stressful time for you JoMal, going from a Sun Dial to Quartz must have been a true hardship.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2008, 12:30:34 PM »

That's what I like about you JoMal, whenever I hand you your arse on a silver platter you at least have the eye sight, or hind sight if the case may be, to recognize it.  Dam, too bad "OWXXX" is on hiatus this week  (yes I know there are at least 2 spelling mistakes in those run-on sentences and at least one mistake in this one).  Where is Dan to pick up his platter?

I am trying to think of some nice, complimentary thing I like about you, WOW.....hmmmm........Okay, your open gayness. Very Lakerfan of you, I must say. 

[quot4]Math IMO is the great equalizer, it has no language or historian limitations like grammar and so many other subjects.  No conqueror is going to impose his "math" on anybody like they do with language and history since math is just math.  Math doesn't require any form of expression other than math, an equation is the same in any language.  I don't argue the importance of conveying information properly I just put much more value in generating the information/art/music/etc...  I have a spell/grammar checker I just don't use it everytime I write something cause it's not always being critiqued, except around here of course. [/quote]

This is all true, about math being such an equalizer. But I stick to my arguement that it is meaningless unless you also can convey the idea clearly in whatever language is your native tongue.

I wasn't comparing our grammar skills, they obviously ebonic/cajun/valley suck!  Is that sentenced supposed to end with "that"?  Despite being a grammar novice, that sentence does not look right ending with "that".

Of course not, but that is how they said it on Seinfeld.

The most advanced alternative to internal combustion engines are hydrogen fuel cell cars.  Guess who perfected that technology and took it into outer space?

Great! Mass produce automobiles that are hydrogen driven and put them on the road here on earth.

That must have been very stressful time for you JoMal, going from a Sun Dial to Quartz must have been a true hardship.

Well....let's just say I am not looking forward to that particular change just yet. HOLD IT! ...my sun dial just went blank!! Have to call the repairman again. Damned weather forecasters never can get it right. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."