Author Topic: OT walking away from mortgage  (Read 4204 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
OT walking away from mortgage
« on: February 22, 2008, 01:39:30 PM »
http://www.youwalkaway.com/
Anyone know how this works?  Is it a viable option or is it skeevy?  Who ends up owning the house, the YouWalkAway people?

I'm okay but know lots in SoCal and other places that need to consider getting out from under their mortgage.  San Diego passed a temp arrangement, plus i see Hilary is mouthpiecing that she will enact some 5 year plan if elected.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT walking away from mortgage
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 01:51:40 PM »
Looks like they are charging you $1,000 to basically handhold you through the foreclosure process.  You have certain rights regardless and that all they are doing is helping you become aware of those rights.

The lender still takes the house back.

Any unpaid mortgage not covered by foreclosure sale will be deemed debt forgiveness and is income to you.

The only thing I am not sure about is how they remove the foreclosure from your credit report.  Their FAQ avoid this by saying that it disappears in 7 years anyway.  But not what they do to remove it.

Not a scam but about as close as you can get legally.  Kind of like the companies that charge you to sign up for social security.  Costs $300-500 for them to help "facilitate" the paper work which the nice people at the Social Security Administration will do for free.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 01:52:19 PM »
It doesn't sound Kosher at all.  First off, when you sign a mortgage agreement, you are signing a binding document.  Under what circumstances can a third party force one of the original signers to change their obligation?  This could only happen if the third party somehow takes over the obligation on behalf of the original signer. And that would have to be acceptable to the mortgage holder.

There are no free rides, unless the government interferes further in the free markets (which they may very well do, as nothing makes people angrier than being forced out of their homes...)

I told everyone to get out of real estate two years ago.  All the Cali posters insisted that Cali was an exception and that real estate couldn't collapse there.  I take no pleasure in seeing that I was right. A lot of people are seriously hurt because of this and the government and the mortgage orignators are responsible.  Don't you find it interesting that they re-wrote the bankruptsy laws just before the proverbial crap started to hit the fan?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 01:58:37 PM »
I told everyone to get out of real estate two years ago.  All the Cali posters insisted that Cali was an exception and that real estate couldn't collapse there.  I take no pleasure in seeing that I was right.

Depends on the part of the country.  I have enjoyed the greatest appreciation of my house ever in the past two years.  And outlook for the South Texas real estate market is very high.  They expect a couple more years of solid growth. 

So IMO you were wrong about the Texas market and right about the Cailfornia market.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 02:53:09 PM »
So IMO you were wrong about the Texas market and right about the Cailfornia market.

Cali is FAR from collapsing.  Prices are still high, it's the foreclosures that are skyrocketing.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 03:07:17 PM »

Cali is FAR from collapsing.  Prices are still high, it's the foreclosures that are skyrocketing.

I stand corrected.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 03:14:25 PM »

It might be the best time to get into real estate if you have the money cuz you can pick up houses cheaper.....
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 03:24:46 PM »
^^ Upside downers can be good to buy.  Altho at this point, i feel the Cali bubble is so large i can't see how it can go up again.  But who knows, richies keep moving here and 20 to a house extended families.

How many live at The Laker House now?  Randy Louise keeps coming and going according to how they are doing.  I see he most recently split when Kobes eggagerated finger injury was publicised.  Now that they escaped in the 4th qtr vs Shaq Phx i see he has reappeared.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 03:32:04 PM »
The odd thing about the housing crunch is that multi-million dollar homes are still as hot as ever.  Prices are skyrocketing in that segment and demand is still very high.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 03:34:58 PM »
^^ Upside downers can be good to buy.  Altho at this point, i feel the Cali bubble is so large i can't see how it can go up again.  But who knows, richies keep moving here and 20 to a house extended families.

How many live at The Laker House now?  Randy Louise keeps coming and going according to how they are doing.  I see he most recently split when Kobes eggagerated finger injury was publicised.  Now that they escaped in the 4th qtr vs Shaq Phx i see he has reappeared.

Shows that not only you are an idiot but that you can't read -- I made several posts this morning.  My leaving had nothing to do with how good or bad the Lakers were doing -- I just can't stand you!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 03:43:52 PM »
Shows that not only you are an idiot but that you can't read -- I made several posts this morning.  My leaving had nothing to do with how good or bad the Lakers were doing -- I just can't stand you!
Randolph Louise!?
After Kobes finger announcement yet before the Lakers win over Phx.

So any posts you made this morning do not fall under that catagorie. :D
Ah, you're still the same.
Good to have you back at The Laker House.
btw you left when all non Laker posters called out Kobe for that cheapshot on GNobilli and was mirrored in hopeless .500ness. ;D

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 03:48:57 PM »
I told everyone to get out of real estate two years ago.  All the Cali posters insisted that Cali was an exception and that real estate couldn't collapse there.  I take no pleasure in seeing that I was right. A lot of people are seriously hurt because of this and the government and the mortgage orignators are responsible.  Don't you find it interesting that they re-wrote the bankruptsy laws just before the proverbial crap started to hit the fan?

Rick, you're hilarious dude.  I must not have been around when all of us Cali's claimed it could never collapse.  And WOW is right, the infill areas haven't collapsed.  Part of the reason markets like the Inland Empire, parts of OC and SD are getting pummeled because there was a lot of new inventory built.  That combined with poor credit and a ton of speculative buyers is a recipe for disaster.  

I think most people understand that real estate markets are cyclical and there was no way California could sustain the level of appreciation we've had for the past decade without a correction.  

Regarding the feds stepping in; I'm one of those crazy people that believes every individual has to take responsibility for their own actions.  There's plenty of blame to spread around for this current credit crisis among lenders, brokerages and Wall Street.  But at the end of the day, just because some scumbag mortgage broker says you afford a 600k house, doesn?t make it true.  If you're a construction worker living in Corona making 40k/yr you should not have to possess a degree in finance to realize you can't afford it!  Stated income loans?!?  What a joke.  I never want to see the government step in and interfere with the free market.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 04:08:26 PM »
Regarding the feds stepping in; I'm one of those crazy people that believes every individual has to take responsibility for their own actions.  There's plenty of blame to spread around for this current credit crisis among lenders, brokerages and Wall Street.  But at the end of the day, just because some scumbag mortgage broker says you afford a 600k house, doesn?t make it true.  If you're a construction worker living in Corona making 40k/yr you should not have to possess a degree in finance to realize you can't afford it!  Stated income loans?!?  What a joke.  I never want to see the government step in and interfere with the free market.  
Amen msc.  There were so many skeevy loan brokers selling SoCal home loans in the 1998-2004 boom it was sickening.
My favorites were the job titles they came up with.  Guy with a 1967 pickup truck and two old lawmowers became "Landscape Engineer" with stated income of 75K.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 08:59:45 PM »
My take since I deal with this every day, much to my consternation right now.

Real estate is very much regional/market specific.  There are decent markets, and there are markets that are bad beyond belief.  Portland, Seattle, and Salt Lake are actually decent real estate markets right now, and have been for the past 1-1/2 years.  Miami, San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix are bad by historic proportions.
Housing starts have fallen nationwide from 2,000,000 in 2005 to a projected 850,000 this year, and potentially even less than that.  Nationally home prices have fallen on average to 2005 levels, and continue to fall.

What got us to this point?  There is one simple reason.  The Alan Greenspan led Federal Reserve cut the Fed Funds rate to 1% and then increased rates at much too slow of a pace of 0.25% every 6 weeks until they reached 5.25%.  This incredible amount of cheap money needed to find a place to go, and housing is where it went.  By only raising rates at such a slow pace, they extended the cheap money source for way to long. 

As this money flowed into the market, it drove speculative buying.  All manner of new mortgage instruments were created, and ARM's, and interest only loans were made available at very low rates, which increased the pool of potential buyers significantly.  As demand increased faster than supply, prices increased.  As prices increased, more homes were supplied, and new mortgage instruments were created to take advantage of the new supply, and more buyers were now able to buy homes, which increased demand which pushed prices higher, which in turn increased supply even more.  Suddenly a home was the best investment you could have, as it was appreciating at 10-20% a year, far better returns than the stock market. 

This lead to speculation, using some exotic mortgage instrument, which further drove the process.  The expectation was that with ever increasing home prices, you could refinance your mortgage, and the appraised value was now 20%-40% higher than you purchased at, which would allow you to move from subprime to prime, with a better rate etc. Eventually though there was a day of reckoning, when your ARM reset 3-4% higher, or your interest only loan required a balloon payment and a new mortgage.  Some people could not pull it off because they didn't get 20% to 40% appreciation, and they had to double their monthly payment or they would default.  Many defaulted, which suddenly changed the landscape.

Supply was now higher than demand, and when that is the case prices fall.  As prices fell, appraisals for comparable homes also fell, which caused more people who were needing refinance to find out that they were still subprime, and they could not afford the new mortgage payment, resulting in a default.  As more and more homeowners defaulted, this led to significant problems in the market for mortgage backed securities.  Portions of these bundled mortgages were now in default, so these securities were now worth less.  As more and more defaults happened these securities became worth less and less.  Eventually the credit ratings agencies needed to down grade these securities, forcing the holders of the paper to write them down.  This has led to billions and billions of $ written off.  This has also dried up the secondary market for mortgage backed securities.  The result is now it is incredibly hard to buy a home, because you cannot get financing.  This reduces demand, and if supply remains the same while demand falls, prices will fall.  As prices fall, then appraised values become less than the price of the home, meaning that it will move even prime borrowers into subprime.

We are not yet at the bottom of the housing mess, not by a long shot.  Presently there a large number of US Banks that have taken huge write downs, same with a number of Canadian, British, German, French, Swiss, and Aussie banks.  The first big melt down in August was because of Canadian, British and Swiss banks took huge write downs.  Who is missing in all of these write downs?  Who are two of the largest holders of US$?  China and Japan.  The Chinese have huge amounts of US$, and yet not a single Chinese bank has yet announced any write downs of mortgage backed securities.  Do you all believe that China has only been buying US Treasuries, and no US$ commercial paper???  Of course not.  They have a lot of these mortgage backed securities, and since their bankings system is not as transparent as ours we have no idea how much and how bad the debt is.  They have had massive fiscal stimulus going on in China for 8 years, much of it driven by the Beijing Olympics, which is this year.  That $80 billion fiscal stimulus is going to end.  Same with much of the other infrastructure investment that China has been spending.  At some point this huge flow will slow, and this bad commercial paper will flow to the top.  When it does there will be a big correction in China.  If the Chinese are no longer as willing to invest in mortgage backed paper, then there will be less money available to finance US housing, and demand and prices will change again.

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 12:40:42 AM »
Randolph Louise!?
After Kobes finger announcement yet before the Lakers win over Phx.

So any posts you made this morning do not fall under that catagorie. :D
Ah, you're still the same.
Good to have you back at The Laker House.
btw you left when all non Laker posters called out Kobe for that cheapshot on GNobilli and was mirrored in hopeless .500ness. ;D

You have been proven wrong so many times on this board -- I'm not going to waste my time proving you wrong only to have you quit posting on this thread so you don't have to be reminded.