Author Topic: Applause for slam dunk competition  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Applause for slam dunk competition
« on: February 16, 2008, 11:44:19 PM »
Dwight Howard clap clap clap.

Greens blowing out the candle was creative also.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Applause for slam dunk competition
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 01:09:36 AM »
The candle was great, as was the Howard's off the back of the backboard dunk.

The Superman dunk by Howard, however, was NOT A DUNK! It was a cute idea and of course he got hot way up but his hand fell a good four inches short of the rim. Bah!
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 01:52:17 AM »
The only think I didn't like was that it was anti-climatic.  That behind the back board dunk was the best I've seen in a long time, but that was one of the first dunks.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 11:04:42 AM »
That behind the back-board dunk was NOT original.  It was an Andre Igoudala dunk.

I also agree the SuperMan Dunk was not a dunk.  His hand never touched the rim.  Which shows that Dwight Howard can't dunk from the foul line like Dr. J could, or even close as his last foot was well inside the free-throw line before he took off. 

It was still a cool "dunk" though.

The problem with the dunk constest is that it is so subjective.  At least this year they let the fans decide.  It's become more of a can you top this contest, because let's face it there are only so many ways to dunk a ball anyway, no matter how much of a leaper you are.

The best dunk was the one Howard saved for last, the one where he threw it against the backboard with one hand, and caught it and slammed it with the other one-handed.  Almost as cool as the Vince Carter between the legs dunk.

I think there should be a new all-season category for the best game dunker so that player could be recognized.  We'll call it the Dominique Wilkins award for the player who entertains the fans with unbelievable moves during the game.  The fans could vote on that too, and it should be the player who does the most dunks night in an out, that you just wanted to see again because they were so amazing the first time.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 12:49:31 PM »
It was similar to an Andre dunk.  It was not the same exact dunk.

The reason why Dwight didn't make it to the rim is that he tried too hard to stretch his body out like superman.  If he had a running start, instead of running, stopping, then jumping he would have dunked it.  10 for effort.  It was very fun to watch.

I still think that the Birthday Cake dunk was unfairly hated on by the two judges who didnt give it a 10.  That was real cool.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 04:20:11 PM »
Sorry I missed this riviting competition, but the paint was peeling on my neighbor' winnebago and I had to sit for two hours in a lawn chair with a bag of pork rinds and brewski watching it, dreaming of being in LA.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 12:21:07 PM »
Dwight Howard through the friggin' basketball DOWN into the basket.  That's how high the man was!! He was looking down at the basket.  Unbelievable.  That was one of the best dunks I've ever seen . . . EVER!  The one behind the backboard, when his head stayed on the other side, the bat with the off hand.  Howard owned the night, no question. 

Consider me a guy who also didn't think much of the birthday cake.  I mean just look at the dunk itself, that's not that hard.  Him blowing a cupcake out doesn't make the dunk any more difficult.  He didn't even really get that much height.  Although Doc was right, people didn't appreciate how hard it was when Gerald dunked between his legs BAREFOOT! 

The most hated on dunk though was Rudy Gay's second dunk.  I mean that didn't look easy at all and 3 judges gave him a 9. 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 01:56:12 PM »
Was there basketball this weekend?  I thought it was just a bunch of exhibition stuff for the money bigwigs.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 02:00:17 PM »
^^ oh no you and Jomal are picturing the usual snoozefest ASG and festivities.

This years dunk contest was good.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 02:43:20 PM »

The whole weekend was pretty good IMO.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 08:11:07 PM »

The whole weekend was pretty good IMO.

What was good about it was what it did for the city of New Orleans, to hopefully bring back the tourist to that great city. The last two times I was there, it was pretty much vacant of tourists, and I am going again in April, so I hope because of this more people will be visiting. They need the bucks.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."