Author Topic: Looks like Kidd is heading to Dallas.  (Read 9004 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looks like Kidd is heading to Dallas.
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2008, 04:49:17 PM »
^ Naw.  We RealSpurs are only interested in legit Championships.
You grasshoppers keep looking at Harris hops and speed and are not looking at the brainpower of JKidd.
That's what this trade is all about.  Floor leadership and brainpower.  Dirk is not a natural born leader nor an acquired one.  So what.  He is nails in many other catagories.  Cubes thinks the window is now, so yeah he traded the potential of Harris the next 4-5 for a shot at the title now.

It could indeed work out great for the Spurs if the JKidd Mavs falter this year.  Certainly if they falter this year and next but that's a seeming eternity in current NBA.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2008, 05:10:54 PM »
Brainpower and smarts...

doesn't make the ball go in the hoop at higher than 36% when you are wide open

doesn't stop quicker guards from blowing past you into the teeth of your defense

doesn't muscle up to other 7 footers on defense

doesn't mean anything if you are losing by double digits in the 4th quarter

doesn't make 7 foot Germans grow a pair

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2008, 05:24:57 PM »
Reality, I like Kidd, and if Dallas could have somehow added him without giving up what they gave up, I?d like the deal.  IMO, Dallas gave up two of the most important things needed to win in today?s NBA, speed at the PG position and interior defense.  For those two reasons, I don?t like this deal.  

You should be happy Reality because your beloved Spurs whose side you've been right beside since the beginning will now have one less obstacle to win their 5th Championship.  Congratulations, as a die-hard, true fan, you really deserve it.  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2008, 06:09:37 PM »
I'm sorry, but I *LIKE* the trade from Dallas's perspective.

Kidd is one of the top two point guards in the NBA RIGHT NOW.  When you get a chance to grab a player like that, you do it.  And they gave up what - Harris?  Big deal.

And folks are worried about losing Diop?  A phone call to P.J. Brown and a decent contract will make anyone forget all about Diop.  Heck, a phone call to Shawn Bradley and a decent contract MIGHT make people forget all about Diop.  Seven-foot defense-only centers are a dime a dozen.

Kidd brings a level of competency in the backcourt that Dallas hasn't had since they dumped Nash and Finley.  For all the talk about speed at the point guard position, it didn't help them against Miami and Gary Payton, who was definitely at a speed disadvantage, and it didn't help them against Baron Davis.  Kidd doesn't get massacred the way that Harris did in those cases.

"It's sacrificing the future..."  No, it's not.  It's establishing that the team wants to win - not wait until the future when all the planets are aligned and the stars are in their appropriate places to win.  That makes me more inclined to sign there if I'm a free agent.

This is the first smart thing Dallas has done in quite a while.  And it's about time.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2008, 06:32:20 PM »
Top two PG's in the league right now?  I kindly disagree with that. 

I'd put Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Tony Parker, Steve Nash and Baron Davis all in front of him, not in any particular order.  At least those guys. 

If Kidd is the #2 PG in the league, why on earth are the Nets hovering around .400 playing in an Eastern Conference with only two good teams and one decent team?

Harris is getting better every season and will continue to do so, IMO. 

While Diop borders on being a stiff, he's got a big frame and can clog up the middle.  A 45 yr old Bradley or 40 year old PJ could barely get up and down the court today.  Please, you can't be serious with those comparisons, Joe.

One thing I do know is that we will know have a lot to discuss on this board these next couple of months watching this all unfold.  Should be fun!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2008, 06:42:55 PM »
I'd put Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Tony Parker, Steve Nash and Baron Davis all in front of him, not in any particular order.

I guess you'd put AI, Carmello, DWade, TMac and LeBron ahead of the Kobe then as well since last I checked none of those PG's played much defense nor grabbed too many boards.  If you told me I had ONE year to win a title and I had to go with one PG, it would be Kidd.  Paul, Williams and Davis are pretty interchangable in regards to what you get, Parker is steady and Nash is terrific offensively but if my team is EXPECTED to play defense I will take Kidd in a heart beat THIS year.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2008, 06:49:53 PM »
Brainpower and smarts...

doesn't make the ball go in the hoop at higher than 36% when you are wide open

doesn't stop quicker guards from blowing past you into the teeth of your defense

doesn't muscle up to other 7 footers on defense

doesn't mean anything if you are losing by double digits in the 4th quarter

doesn't make 7 foot Germans grow a pair

LOL

I think the trade would have been much better say 3 years ago when they just lost Nash and still were a run and gun team with Nelly.  Now that they run a lot of isolation I don't see where Jason Kidd's passing skills are going to improve things a whole lot.  Just my quick take.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2008, 06:59:25 PM »
I'd put Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Tony Parker, Steve Nash and Baron Davis all in front of him, not in any particular order.

I guess you'd put AI, Carmello, DWade, TMac and LeBron ahead of the Kobe then as well since last I checked none of those PG's played much defense nor grabbed too many boards.  If you told me I had ONE year to win a title and I had to go with one PG, it would be Kidd.  Paul, Williams and Davis are pretty interchangable in regards to what you get, Parker is steady and Nash is terrific offensively but if my team is EXPECTED to play defense I will take Kidd in a heart beat THIS year.

I've haven't seen Kidd play great D in quite some time. 

A better rebounder, yes, but I'm not really looking to my PG to be my best rebounder on the floor.  Kind of like having one of your DB's in Football leading the team in tackles ... not necessarily a good thing. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2008, 07:12:34 PM »

I've haven't seen Kidd play great D in quite some time. 

A better rebounder, yes, but I'm not really looking to my PG to be my best rebounder on the floor.  Kind of like having one of your DB's in Football leading the team in tackles ... not necessarily a good thing. 

Isn't a PG supposed to be a floor general?  Only Nash has Kidd beat at running the show, none of those other guys have the passing skills nor floor generalship that Kidd has today.  If you want impressive scoring then go with the other guys, I'll take a 2 guard and pf for that, my PG needs to control my team and be an extension of the coach, for that job I take Kidd.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2008, 08:00:28 PM »
Oh WoW, thank you.
WayOutWest  "Which Player Are You?"
http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/toys/testgen/4249
http://forums.phillyarena.net/index.php?topic=4247.0

Reality
Jason Kidd baby.  WooHoo!  Altho I'm more like Manu. 

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2008, 08:03:03 PM »
^^^These are valid points, WOW.  I don't necessarily disagree.  I guess I'm questioning how much Kidd has left in the tank.  We'll soon find out.  

I see the argument that Kidd brings mental toughness to a team that has zero outside of their coach.  It will be fun to watch.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2008, 08:04:18 PM »
^^^ thank you msc too.

The Laker poster compliments today... :-*

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2008, 10:23:48 PM »
^^^These are valid points, WOW.  I don't necessarily disagree.  I guess I'm questioning how much Kidd has left in the tank.  We'll soon find out.  

I see the argument that Kidd brings mental toughness to a team that has zero outside of their coach.  It will be fun to watch.  

One year in the tank is good, two years would be awesome for the Mavs.  I get the argument about age, two years down the road the Mavs could have an easier time since the Suns will be done with Nash's retirement and TD should be on the downside of his career and the Spurs will be 2nd tier.  The concern for the Mavs in two years will be the Lakers, Jazz, NO and Blazers.  Then again, in two years the landscape could be completely different, the current powerhouses could be blown up as likely as they could be reloaded.  The best play for any franchise is to go for it NOW, Kidd is the right piece for the Mavs to go for it now.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2008, 10:26:27 PM »

Kidd's defense has been on steady decline the past few years (really since micro fracture surgery).

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2008, 09:51:23 AM »
I guess you'd put AI, Carmello, DWade, TMac and LeBron ahead of the Kobe then as well since last I checked none of those PG's played much defense nor grabbed too many boards.

Wait a minute here, take a look at who is leading the league in steals--not that steals=good defense but the guy is tenacious and it was on full display in the All-star game (in the 4th when things got serious) when he was going out there and just taking the ball from people.

Also Deron Williams is pretty good positionally and is sort of a bruiser at 6'3''.  He'll crowd and bump and there isn't anyone he gives up much size to. 

Kidd is still good defensively but not appreciably better than either Paul or Williams if at all.  He is way ahead of Parker and Nash, though.  Its a toss-up with Davis.  If Baron cared about defense, he'd be pretty darn good in his own right.     
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."