Author Topic: Latest Webber rumor . . .  (Read 4772 times)

Guest_Randy

Latest Webber rumor . . .
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2004, 11:41:45 PM »
Who in their right mind would want Webber at his price considering his injury history.  The only team I can think of would be the Spurs.  They've got the cap room and they already have a team leader in TD, I think he would be an excellent fit there.
That's the real stickler. Webber comes with too high of a price tag for a player that misses 2-3 months (even longer this season) due to injuries. I don't think Webber's knees and ankles will ever be right, and he is on the downside of his career. He might do better in the half-court offense of the Spurs than the motion offense of the Kings at this point in his career.
Gaither is right.  Webber comes with an incredibly high price tag -- think about it this way -- he is making the same money as Shaq, TD, and KG -- but he has never lived up to that level, IMO.  Nobody is going to want to take Webber with his price tag -- you simply don't win in a situation when you are trading your "franchise" player.  You only trade a player like that when they are a problem -- and that gives the other GM an edge because he knows that you NEED to get rid of him.

Offline NYCdog

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2004, 11:06:12 AM »
If this "lil whinny puss" goes anywhere, I believe its to Detroit. This is where he's always wanted to go, home.

Its his hometown, which could provide a safe haven of sorts from those dreaded "boo-birds" that have benn terriorising him of late. It would be a homecoming for him and the fans there would welcome him with open arms and cheer him on.........something he really wants and supposedly needs right now.

And plus a move to Detroit would put him in the weaker Eastern conference, which would give him a better chance to win a title.

Personaly, I think Webber is the next Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway etc..........once injured and put "under the knife," they were never the same players again. Its starting to look like Webber fits this bill so far......but then again, he hasent had time to get into %100 game shape and prove this wrong. Hopefully for his sake and his value, he can prove it wrong.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2004, 11:20:54 AM »
If this "lil whinny puss" goes anywhere, I believe its to Detroit. This is where he's always wanted to go, home.

Its his hometown, which could provide a safe haven of sorts from those dreaded "boo-birds" that have benn terriorising him of late. It would be a homecoming for him and the fans there would welcome him with open arms and cheer him on.........something he really wants and supposedly needs right now.

And plus a move to Detroit would put him in the weaker Eastern conference, which would give him a better chance to win a title.

Personaly, I think Webber is the next Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway etc..........once injured and put "under the knife," they were never the same players again. Its starting to look like Webber fits this bill so far......but then again, he hasent had time to get into %100 game shape and prove this wrong. Hopefully for his sake and his value, he can prove it wrong.
How do the Pistons do this deal?  Sign and trade with Rasheed?  I doubt the Kings buy into anything the Pistons have to offer other than Ben Wallace.  The salary number just don't work.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2004, 11:35:53 AM »

Umm, I guess you did not 'hear' about the greeting Webber received from his home town press after the Grand Jury federal case ended. Because of the associated scandal and loss of titles for the Univ of Michigan over the Martin incident, his home town reviled Webber in the paper and local residents, when asked, said they will boo him the next time he visits. There's no place like home.

If Portland wasn't in the Pacific Division, that would be the only safe NBA haven Chris could consider as a trade destination. His transgressions would hardly be noticed there.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2004, 11:47:23 AM »
I don't Peja is that kind of player yet. You can't just hand the ball to Peja in the half court set durring the playoffs and say "make it happen". The only guy that seems willing and able to do that is Bibby. Peja needs help to get himself open.

Who in thier right mind would want Webber at his price considering his injury history. The only team I can think of would be the Spurs. They've got the cap room and they already have a team leader in TD, I think he would be an excellent fit there.

Actually Peja is most effective one-on-one in the half court. He can "make it happen" about as well as any player in the NBA because he is so deadly from the outside. He doesn't need to be set up by Bibby or anyone else. but it certainly helps when he is.

Right now, Webber is the healthiest front line player starting for the Kings. Vlade is very sick and bedridden. Miller's elbow is so bad he can hardly shoot free throws. His effectiveness has dropped precariously in the last two weeks, and the prospects of his arm getting better during the season is nil.  While Miller's role can be filled by Songaila or Massenburg, only Miller can effectively back up Vlade, and he is not going to be 100% again this year.

On top of that, Bobby Jackson has told Adelman he is not ready to return to active playing time yet and won't play in the Texas games coming up on the road trip.

Such is life in the NBA.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2004, 12:47:05 PM »
Right now, Webber is the healthiest front line player starting for the Kings. Vlade is very sick and bedridden. Miller's elbow is so bad he can hardly shoot free throws. His effectiveness has dropped precariously in the last two weeks, and the prospects of his arm getting better during the season is nil.  While Miller's role can be filled by Songaila or Massenburg, only Miller can effectively back up Vlade, and he is not going to be 100% again this year.

On top of that, Bobby Jackson has told Adelman he is not ready to return to active playing time yet and won't play in the Texas games coming up on the road trip.

Such is life in the NBA.
Can you say #3 seed?  First round matchup with Dallas?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2004, 03:34:05 PM »
This is not good news Jomal, sorry to hear your team is suffering, but as you said, such is life in the NBA, LA played most of the season standing on one leg with one hand tied behind their back, (and have still been in the thick of it all year long  :D )

I really do want your team at 100% this post season, maybe even 110%, the same with every serious contender out there, namely San Antonio, Minnesota, Indiana, I want ZERO excuses whne the healthy (finally) Lakers face off against them. I am quite sure you feel the same way. I really want Bobby Jackson healthy, I don't think anyone fully realizes just what a valuable and energetic spark this cat is off the bench. same with Miller, what a surprise he has been.

So what is up with Vlade? Cold? Flu? Lung cancer?
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2004, 04:26:01 PM »
So what is up with Vlade? Cold? Flu? Lung cancer?

Some kind of stomach virus. He probably got it drinking the water in LA on the King's last visit there :rolleyes:  Or could it have been the room service Belly Burger?  :P